IGNORED

Less then 8 weeks to Torrey!!!

azkaisr

Nobody's forcing you come hang out with all of these posers.

:wave:

Russell, You are such the kidder. I only wish I had more time to hang around...
russell_bynum
Nobody's forcing you come hang out with all of these posers.

:wave:

Russell, You are such the kidder. I only wish I had more time to hang around...

:thumbsup:

In for sure. Tuesday to Monday. Working on lodging (or not)- maybe I'll just go up the hill and look for a place to sleep like Patience did.

Tuesday to Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can have a lot of fun.......

Whip

It's down to 5 weeks now and I can't wait. Called the Chuckwagon yesterday to confirm my reservation and its a go.

The only down side to this trip will be that my lovely wife will not be making it trip with me, :( it will be only the second Torrey she has missed since our first, Torrey V

Over the years we have done just about all the possible routes to Torrey and I need to fine a new one, so its time to pull out the maps and find it, what's the weather in Washington like this time of year? (kidding)

Dennis Andress
Has this site been invaded by posers? All this talk about taking the trailer loaded with bikes to what used to be a motorcycle gathering is really giving me the willies. This ain't Sturgis folks, wrong locale. YIKES!

pssssst! Any real riders left out there?

You wanna put your money where your mouth is? How about YOU ride my KTM out there. I didn't think so.

Last I saw, you still had an RT...

And could ride the #^&$##@ out of it!!!

343485201_WaKAs-M.jpg

343482904_P4mfc-L.jpg

All kidding aside:

Greg,

After several of the same rides many of them have taken in Torrey, (I think all of them have been a bunch of times...) and the incredible sights when off-roading, I can see why so many want to take dirt bikes. Even a dual sport isn't really good for the big distance rides, much less a dedicated dirt bike!

Riding is riding, even off-road!

I've rode with Tom only once; he rode Laney's KRS to Torrey when she needed a ride home from Gunison. To be honest, I thought he got hooked on the K and kind of suspected he'd soon show up on one. But, he went for the dirt instead. Maybe the Dark Side was too much.....

Back on topic... Anyone got a trailer for sale?

Dennis

I know folks are on standby at the Chuckwagon, but on 6-August I was able to book a room at Capitol Reef Inn. CRI might not be the "hotspot" like CW is, but their adjacent restaurant reportedly has good food. I've been near the Torrey but this (hopefully) will be my first time there and obviously same for the bi-annual meet. Jeff

We just canceled our boating trip the week before Torrey so I'm now planning on heading there Thursday. I'm going to call Capital Reef and see if I can get my room a day earlier.

Gregg

BMW SPORT TRAILERING.COM :lurk:

LOL That's just too funny.

Remember when we all rode to Torrey and considered that as a big part of the trip?

Randy is going to need another parking lot just for the trailers? :)

Now were talkin..........

Youngest member to ever attend Torrey??????? (6 weeks)

Coooollll!!!!

:clap:

Whip

Well you would have Jack beat. He was 4 months at his first Torrey. :thumbsup:

When are you going to have the web sign up sheet working Killer?

Bob if things are too busy to do it we can always do the last resort of starting a new thread with people just posting IN or OUT and where they're staying or needing a room. Not complaining just a suggestion if the web sign up isn't in the cards for happening this time. Trying to start 6 pages into this thread would be confusing.
In for sure. Tuesday to Monday. Working on lodging (or not)- maybe I'll just go up the hill and look for a place to sleep like Patience did.

Whip

I might need to re-allocate my time and come up early!!!

Whip

I might need to re-allocate my time and come up early!!!

:clap::clap:

Dennis Andress
Anyone heard if there is a gathering at the Chuck Wagon on Friday night (or another night?) catered dinner ?

I said something about that way back at the beginning of this thread.

Fernando (and before him Dick) used to act as liaison with the Chuckwagon, making sure things were in place ahead of time. Somebody needs to step up and do this. At the very least, they'll need a head count by the Monday or Tuesday before everyone shows up, so they can buy enough food.

Laney has always printed name tags, But, we can't make it this time. If somebody wants to jump in there we can get you started.

It's important to me that Bob doesn't get stuck doing these things simply because he lives there. I'd really appreciate anyone who helps out.

Dennis

russell_bynum
Anyone heard if there is a gathering at the Chuck Wagon on Friday night (or another night?) catered dinner ?

Here's an idea:

Make your own Torrey.

In the old days, you just showed up at Torrey. If you weren't staying at the Chuckwagon, you generally made your way down there as soon as you could. You greet old friends and meet new ones. Then someone gets hungry and you all start making plans: "I would kill for a Brink's burger and a malt!"

"Yeah, that sounds great...me and PhillyFlash were about to head down there ourselves. Want some company"

"Sure, let's see if Roger and Sue want to join us."

And so it went. Nobody needed any catered dinners (which are usually overpriced and not very good anyway.) or anything else. Torrey's not that big of a place. Even if you just wander off to one of the restaurants on your own, you're bound to find part of the group already there...or have part of the group show up as you're eating and before you know it, all the tables in the place are pulled together and everyone's having a great time.

I, for one, have been missing that and I hope we skip all of the organized, catered crap this time and just make it a bunch of fools who are crazy about riding motorcycles getting together to have some fun.

geezer speech>

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Laney has always printed name tags, But, we can't make it this time. If somebody wants to jump in there we can get you started.

I can volunteer to bring some labels and a sharpie. They'll never look as good as yours and it'll make your abence (collectively) more apparent. It will also make us more relieved when you make it again- I'm already wondering dreading what Wurty's gonna write on his.

russell_bynum
Jeeeeeze Russell, yer such a geeeeeezer. Having a family is already getting to you. :grin:

Watch yer mouth, whippersnapper.

:grin:

Seriously though...this has been bugging me for a while. We've got people who really bust their asses to put together an event, and don't get me wrong...I appreciate their efforts. I helped Dick organize one of the earlier Torrey's so I know what goes into it. Mark and Christine did a bang-up job with El Paseo. Brother Tom and Jamie stepped up and got things rolling for DVD. I'm not even going to mention UnRally's and the tremendous amount of work that goes into putting one of those together.

I just can't help but notice that the harder someone works to put something together, the more people bitch because it isn't what they wanted. And more importantly, the more organized and structured things are, the less spontaneity and FUN it is. That's what used to be so great about these things....people would come together and make their own fun. Maybe instead of going to Cafe Diablo, people would go in together and order Pizza. One year, some people scrounged the fixin's and BBQ'ed steaks.

The most fun I've had eating at these events is when we just go. Knappy and I run into Raaan and decide to go hit a BBQ place that Raaan saw down the road. A group of us walks down to Brinks to have burgers and malts and watch the riders come into town. A group ride gets back after the official scheduled dinner is over, so we all haul ass over to the Italian place just before they close and eat and laugh until our sides hurt.

I'd really like to see us get back to that sort of thing.

I'd really like to see us get back to that sort of thing.

I'd like it that way too! I was not there then, but I catch the vibe and like it!

russell_bynum
Russel,

If all my planning comes to fruition I will be spontaneously arriving on Friday. :grin: Ready for anything. :clap:

Dennis Andress

Russell, I like your getting back to basics idea. But where in all of Torrey are you going to find a place that can feed everyone at one time?

russell_bynum
Russell, I like your getting back to basics idea. But where in all of Torrey are you going to find a place that can feed everyone at one time?

Who said everyone has to eat together at the same place at the same time?

I'm tell'n ya that burger trailer is the best thing ever! :thumbsup:

Aside from that the catch as catch can eating Russell is suggesting works just fine.

It's the over the top catering aspect that is a bit much (read as hoity toity "trained" chef that wont give second servings and took all the surplus back to his restaurant for the next days customers even though we paid for it.)

BADGES,WE DONT NEED NO STINKING BADGES,,LOL

How bout we dust off our old badges and wear them, we'll see who has the oldest.

As for where are we all going to eat??? We all find a place the other nights.

Who said everyone has to eat together at the same place at the same time?

Back to the basics is always good. Some of my best memories of Torrey were the first couple where we had a group of 30-40 max there and literally no plan other than "Let's Moto." The rest will sort itself out and no one will starve. Not to take anything away from the people that worked hard at setting up a group dinner for everyone. Torrey has always been awesome and thanks for that effort. But a structured let's get all 100 of us to sit down at the same time and eat a meal we may all want or not is more rally like than Torrey like. Part of what makes Torrey special is the non rally pureness of just a bunch of hoons getting together to ride, eat, sleep repeat. We just had the Unrally and the National rally for those that wanted a little more structure. I'm voting with Russell on this one for some pure, naked, back to the basics Torrey. Although in Wurty's case the naked doesn't apply. :grin:
When are you going to have the web sign up sheet working Killer?

Bob if things are too busy to do it we can always do the last resort of starting a new thread with people just posting IN or OUT and where they're staying or needing a room. Not complaining just a suggestion if the web sign up isn't in the cards for happening this time. Trying to start 6 pages into this thread would be confusing.
I'm in England at the moment so my computer time is limited but I'll do the web site again. It'll have to be the same as the last few times where I update it manually, don't have time to write a proper app, for some reason my mother doesn't regard time I spend on the computer as 'family time' :eek:
I'm in England at the moment so my computer time is limited but I'll do the web site again. It'll have to be the same as the last few times where I update it manually, don't have time to write a proper app, for some reason my mother doesn't regard time I spend on the computer as 'family time' :eek:
You're the king Bob. Thanks. :thumbsup:
Soooooooooooooooo....

Who wants to get dirty on Saturday??????????????

11,000 feet or bust!!!!!!

What type of dirty?

GS type? Non street legal dirt bike type? I could ride the GS out there or trailer something else.

My guess is there will be both types. Many GSs and quite a few real dirt bikes so appropriate roads will be selected. Just keep in mind that everyone lies about how easy it will be!!

Firefight911
My guess is there will be both types. Many GSs and quite a few real dirt bikes so appropriate roads will be selected. Just keep in mind that everyone lies about how easy it will be!!

Yep!

LINKY!

National Park riding requires valid street legal motorcycles.

What type of dirty?

GS type? Non street legal dirt bike type? I could ride the GS out there or trailer something else.

The ride I have in mind (I think I described it in an earlier post) has both GS and dirt bike oriented sections. No problem for GS riders getting up onto the Boulder High Top and riding around up there, you can choose any route and backing out is easy. The dirty ride down is probably not suitable for GS bikes unless you are really confident, it's a bit tight, steepish and loose etc but GSs have other options if they don't want to just retrace the way up. My planned route doesn't take us into the national park though you do have to get the bike about 10 miles to the start of the ride from Torrey. I would have no hesitation riding an unregistered bike there, I think there's even an ATV trail almost all the way.
BeniciaRT_GT
I would have no hesitation riding an unregistered bike there...

Uh, excuse me! Do you even OWN a registered bike?

I see where Bob is on vacation until September 1. :eek:

Aren't you supposed to have actually worked before you can say you are on vacation? :grin:

As to how hard your working:

300253254_s7QKT-L.jpg

I rest my case!!! :wave:

Bob, what if someone wanted to rent an ATV,, can that be done? and would they hold up the 'real' bikes?
I think you can rent ATVs from the Texaco station at the junction of 12 and 24, I'm not home so I can't check right now. ATVs are generally slower than motorcycles although there are doubtless people who can keep up. There are some really great places to take ATVs around Torrey, I'd like to do it sometime but probably not this weekend given my other duties.
Only 3 weeks for me.

We're goin early!!!!!

To help Killer clean his house and make it ready for guests.

:eek:

I hope Calvin isn't offended by this.

Only 3 weeks for me.

We're goin early!!!!!

I hope Calvin isn't offended by this.

I'm not gonna touch the garage....I only have 8 days.

Only 3 weeks for me.

We're goin early!!!!!

Are you bringing up a sander to clean up the deck also ?

Only 3 weeks for me.

We're goin early!!!!!

Are you bringing up a sander to clean up the deck also ?

The sander is already there....Calvin left it last year.

Archived