IGNORED

El Paseo V, Blairsville, GA, April 22-24

David

Count me in on Friday. Was going to have some of the Tampa people over @ my Mom & Dad's - so we'll crash yours and bring beer and soda!

Sounds like you could use buns. [can't believe I typed that dopeslap.gif] Anything else U need?

Printing your routes out as I type. Already in Murphy, can't wait to use some of that cheap GA gas!

Last I checked it was channel 7 with the "sub-channel" set to zero.

Actually, it's Channel 2.0. But nice try giving Ken the bum steer! smile.gif

That explains why no one ever want's to talk to me. Whew, I thought it was my personality.

Well, it's not necessarily an either/or thing! grin.gif

See you Thursday night. thumbsup.gif

steve.foote

Alright everyone, consider me super-jazzed for the weekend. Being I just bought a GPS V, I've been playing around with routes for the weekend and comparing them to the Dodge Tour De Georgia bicycle race also being held the same weekend. Here are the times and the routes that will be effected:

Friday - Their race starts in Dalton Georgia at 10:00am and ends in Dahlonega sometime around 3:30pm. The route they are running effects every one of our routes.

Saturday - Racing begins in Gainesville Georgia at 12:00pm and ends at Brasstown Bald around 5:00pm. The only routes not effected are GS ROUTE and THE BACK ROAD ROUTE (barely).

Sunday - Racing starts in Blairsville at 12:30pm and finishes in Alpharetta.

I don't know how long they close roads down, but I would expect some delays. With a couple of minor modifications to our existing (and might I say EXCELLENT) routes we should be able to miss them completely. The only factor yet unknown is how much 4-wheel traffic will be present this weekend.

The beauty of it all is that we will be in the middle of motorcycle heaven and we can go any direction with tremendous satisfaction. cool.gif

See you all there.

P.S. I checked out the Dillard House in Dillard Georgia (Paul's recommendation for Friday dinner) and it looks really good. Check out their website and click on Dining.

489825-09%5B1%5D.jpg

That looks like dinner. thumbsup.gif

632337247_489825-091.jpg.caae8b7fcf6124126a8169c16e471635.jpg

marty mayer

Thats great Ron. It will be good to see you.

Talk about anxious, here it is monday morning and I am heading south in about 30 minutes. Should have plenty of time to explore between Ohio and Georgia.

Marty

Lone_RT_rider
Thats great Ron. It will be good to see you.

Talk about anxious, here it is monday morning and I am heading south in about 30 minutes. Should have plenty of time to explore between Ohio and Georgia.

Marty

%*@ $%*@^# retired guys and their endless time off.... grin.gif Seriously Marty, enjoy! It will be great to see you on Thursday night when us poor working schleps get there! thumbsup.gifclap.gif

Oh and Raaaaaaaan, you just made this El Paeso a little bit more special. It will be great to see you twice in one week! cool.gif

Sorry, I ran out of good graemlins. grin.gif

Shawn

Last I checked it was channel 7 with the "sub-channel" set to zero.

Actually, it's Channel 2.0. But nice try giving Ken the bum steer! smile.gif

I thought it was Chanel No. 259 blush.gif

Eau de Motorad grin.gif

Raaan clap.gifclap.gif

Steve, Beth is looking forward to meeting your much better half. wink.gif

Woody,

Hope your tires are still intact by the weekend! dopeslap.gif

After waiting 2 months for its arrival, my 2005 Red V-Strom 650 finally arrived at my dealer clap.gif So, I took a little ride yesterday and found great news - many of the roads that have the best twisties have been swept clean in preparation for the bicycle race. 129/19 going up Blood Mountain, the Richard Russell, Wolf Pen Gap Road and GA 60 are all in perfect condition.

Be warned that this bicycle race attracts an incredible mass of humanity as spectators, with children and adults strolling on the roads for many hours before the bicycle racers arrive. Also, LEOs will be all over these routes. Don't even try to ride on any road at the time these racers are scheduled to be there. Also, proceed with caution on any road that is scheduled for the racers to ride on that day. The spectators will be out 6 hours before the racers arrive. See you all there this weekend.

Joe Frickin' Friday

672.jpg

Jeebus, Raaan, what happened to your hair?!?!? You look like Joe Frickin' Friday! tongue.gif

Jeebus, Raaan, what happened to your hair?!?!? You look like Joe Frickin' Friday! tongue.gif

Got out my clippers to trim my beard...

I missed. dopeslap.gif

StretchMark

frown.gif I hate to say it, but Steve is correct. We are definitely going to run into some heavy traffic on the N. GA roads this weekend. There were already hundreds of cyclist training up there this weekend. Car traffic was heavy too. Every newspaper, TV station and radio station is pumping up the Tour de Georgia event. They are expecting huge crowds.

As much as we wanted to showcase what N. GA has to offer, we would also suggest that people download the legacy Cherokee routes from the El Paseo web site. Alternatively, be prepared to go ahead an explore some lesser travelled roads. If all else fails, get into a tuck and pretend the masses are chearing for you cool.gif

frown.gif I hate to say it, but Steve is correct. We are definitely going to run into some heavy traffic on the N. GA roads this weekend. There were already hundreds of cyclist training up there this weekend. Car traffic was heavy too. Every newspaper, TV station and radio station is pumping up the Tour de Georgia event. They are expecting huge crowds.

As much as we wanted to showcase what N. GA has to offer, we would also suggest that people download the legacy Cherokee routes from the El Paseo web site. Alternatively, be prepared to go ahead an explore some lesser travelled roads. If all else fails, get into a tuck and pretend the masses are chearing for you cool.gif

I'm feeling pretty sucky about accidentally scheduling it this weekend. When riding the area and negotiating with the hotel about seven months ago, I had no idea we'd overlap.

My apologies to all of you. Hopefully we'll just be able to make the most of it and have fun anyway. confused.gif

Lone_RT_rider
I'm feeling pretty sucky about accidentally scheduling it this weekend. When riding the area and negotiating with the hotel about seven months ago, I had no idea we'd overlap.

My apologies to all of you. Hopefully we'll just be able to make the most of it and have fun anyway. confused.gif

It's ok David, just put all of our rooms on your credit card and all will be forgiven. cool.gif Either that or the beer is on you! grin.gif

Seriously, no worries my friend, this crew can sniff out good roads and great riding anywhere. We can just head up north as Mark has suggested and go from there. Mr. Knapp suggested to me last night that the Salty Dog might be a great place for dinner on Friday. The more I think about it, the better it sounds!

Shawn

When riding the area and negotiating with the hotel about seven months ago, I had no idea we'd overlap.

David, it could be worse. Much worse.

Can you say, "Tour de Cherohala?"

It's not that bad. I rode a lot of these roads last year on the same day the bike racers were racing on them. The only one that was a problem to ride at an "enthusiastic" pace was 348 (the Richard Russell, which is a truly magnificent road and should not be missed). That road was lined with spectators 4 hours before the ETA for the racers, and LEOs were everywhere. We just took it slow on the RR and kept our speed under the posted limit. The trick is to ride as early as possible - these roads will be clear at 7 am, some of them will start getting spectators on the sides around 9. You can still have fun, but you have to manage this event by staying away from the roads during the peak times, which IMHO, is 3 hours before and 1.5 hours after the racers run that particular road.

I must have been very lucky yesterday, as all the twisties I rode on were clear of traffic between noon and 2 pm - I saw no more bicycles up there than on a normal Sunday.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Hopefully we'll just be able to make the most of it and have fun anyway. confused.gif

If all else fails, we can sit around the parking lot all day, eat brats, and drink until we're locked out of our heads... crazy.giftongue.gifgrin.gif

Don't worry about the Tour, David, we'll find good, empty roads somewhere down there. It'll be a good weekend. thumbsup.gif

My apologies to all of you. Hopefully we'll just be able to make the most of it and have fun anyway.

No Worries...It will be great, at least we won't be working! clap.gif

We could always just lay off the riding and see the musical,

nitpicker.jpg

DavidEBSmith

I'm feeling pretty sucky about accidentally scheduling it this weekend.

Now you can feel even more sucky. Today's newspaper says Lance Armstrong will be riding in the Tour de Georgia, so the crowds should be even bigger.

I think we should just all get orange vests labelled "OFFICIAL" and ride around with our flashers on like we're supposed to be there.

I think we should just all get orange vests labelled "OFFICIAL" and ride around with our flashers on like we're supposed to be there.

Yeah, but who's gonna ride pillion backwards with cameras? grin.gif

I don't see this as that bigga deal. We're not that far from the "old stand-bys", just in case, so I don't see how this will be a bad weekend!

It's not the midwest, so I'll be happy, rain or shine! clap.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

Looks like I'll be making a beer run to the micro-brewery in Gatlinburg......That should be out of the way enough...

Official vests for the Tour de Georgia may exceed the room already booked. dopeslap.gif STILL IN! grin.gif

This is laziness on my part but does anyone have or know where to get a mapsource file of the bicycle route to open up in mapsource and layover the routes to make detours around it?

I've had to cancel frown.gif - back problem. Notified HI so the room is available.

Sure was looking forward to meeting all you guys..Maybe this fall!!!!

steve.foote

Dude, you shouldn't feel sucky about anything. There is no way to cross-check or predict everything that could conflict with our event. We'll make the best of what we have and that is that.

I'm willing to bet that this will be one of the best EP's yet. thumbsup.gif

StretchMark

For those participating in the grill-fest Friday night, the closest grogery store is .8 miles from the hotel:

Bi-Lo

342 Blue Ridge St

Blairsville, GA 30512-3574

Phone: (706) 835-2412

Closet Beer:

Hiawasee - 16 miles

F&J Foodstore

2600 Highway 17

Hiawassee, GA 30546

Blue Ridge - 24 miles

Ridgeway Package Store

3900 E First St

Blue Ridge, GA 30513

Beer Barn

3700 E First St

Blue Ridge, GA 30513

(I just like the sound of this place thumbsup.gif)

Oh, and I've downgraded from Weber and Kingsford to disposable grills and MatchLight. There's nothing but good roads between me and Blairsville and I just can't stand the thought of trailering up there cool.gif. I'll pick up 2 of those el cheapo grills at Wally World and tote those up on the back of the bike.

I just can't stand the thought of trailering up there cool.gif. I'll pick up 2 of those el cheapo grills at Wally World and tote those up on the back of the bike.

How 'bout we go back to riding to dinner? Save the cargo... eek.gif

Wal Mart, right? Buy the grills then return em? Not really ethical, but I knew a guy in college who did this with his TV, his stereo, and his underwear....ewwwww

Joe Frickin' Friday
Every newspaper, TV station and radio station is pumping up the Tour de Georgia event. They are expecting huge crowds.

<gulp...>

Lance Armstrong Announces Retirement

excerpt:

Tour of Georgia officials have received more than 500 media credential applications this year, almost twice last year's total. As evidence of Armstrong's widespread celebrity, the announcement attracted TV crews representing such diverse interests as MSNBC, CNN, Outdoor Life Network, Access Hollywood and ESPN.

"This is probably the second-biggest media event in Augusta in recent weeks," Armstrong said, referring to the Masters golf tournament, as he greeted reporters.

Lance Armstrong Announces Retirement

excerpt:

Tour of Georgia officials have received more than 500 media credential applications this year, almost twice last year's total. As evidence of Armstrong's widespread celebrity, the announcement attracted TV crews representing such diverse interests as MSNBC, CNN, Outdoor Life Network, Access Hollywood and ESPN.

Okay everybody, start thinkin about how your interview will go. I'm hoping for a shot on "Access Hollywood". Y'know, some HARD news. This time I promise I'll wear a shirt and try not to have that "freshly "taser'd" look about m'self.

Lone_RT_rider

Okay everybody, start thinkin about how your interview will go. I'm hoping for a shot on "Access Hollywood". Y'know, some HARD news. This time I promise I'll wear a shirt and try not to have that "freshly "taser'd" look about m'self.

Dude, if you get access to a camera and they actually put you on TV, Jim Carey will be looking for a new career! grin.gif

Shawn

Woody,

C ya soon.

After thinking about the Tour day Jorja, it may even be cool to see part of this, and experience the festive atmosphere. You can ride anytime, at least those of us that live in my part o' the woods.

So, let me be the first to congratulate David for this seredipitous turn of events. clap.gif

HE SAID OUT!

Wow Ken, thanks for yelling the farkin obvious. There are times it's great to have you around. tongue.gif

I was more lookin for why.

Thanx for the barrage of emails and PM guys, I greatly appreciate it. The reason that I can't make it is that I have decided to stay at home and spend some time with Patti.

I was given an opportunity to go to FL last week that I couldn't pass up. With El Paseo, Ride Smart, and Un all upcoming, her business coming into season, and the MSF season starting up I have decided to sit this one out and hang with her. As much as I do love you guys I love her more tongue.gif

-- Spike

Archived