IGNORED

El Paseo V, Blairsville, GA, April 22-24

David

No kidding, Paul. Can't you just hear that ST3 on the Cherohala? grin.gif

What an evil evil man you are. Put my first hundred miles on the Duc today and now Im just dying to go play in the mountains.

No kidding, Paul. Can't you just hear that ST3 on the Cherohala? grin.gif

What an evil evil man you are. Put my first hundred miles on the Duc today and now Im just dying to go play in the mountains.

Well, deal with it. smile.gif Now you've got a bike that wants to sing, and you're going to bottle it up. You won't have all that much fun on Deal's Gap, but 28, 360, 64, 68, and the Cherohala. Did we talk about that yet?

Picture yourself in the perfect position on the bike, 4th gear, 7,100 RPM, gently accelerating as you round a 45 mph corner at 85, leaning, leaning, leaning, hearing that sound in your ear, seeing no one in your mirror, perfect line, light on the bars, glad you came down.

Now get off your ass and make a reservation. grin.gif

Well, deal with it. smile.gif Now you've got a bike that wants to sing, and you're going to bottle it up. You won't have all that much fun on Deal's Gap, but 28, 360, 64, 68, and the Cherohala. Did we talk about that yet?

Picture yourself in the perfect position on the bike, 4th gear, 7,100 RPM, gently accelerating as you round a 45 mph corner at 85, leaning, leaning, leaning, hearing that sound in your ear, seeing no one in your mirror, perfect line, light on the bars, glad you came down.

Grrrr .....

(EDIT: first he buys a new bike, now he's hijacking my account.... eek.gif )

Alas I was on my arse too long. The place is booked solid.

Don't let that stop you..... I know of a couple folks who booked rooms well in advance and will be looking for roommates. There might even be a person who two who cancel.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

You're weaker than I thought. That was easy! grin.gif

I knew he'd fold. smile.gif

Now someone cough up a hotel room so I can get him outta here. (LOL I get more work done when I'm alone than when he's here ... working till 1am works pretty well when you're alone smirk.gif )

so I can get him outta here.
What? You're not coming too? We gotta deal with Spike by ourselves? wink.gif

Yep, you guys get him all to yourselves. I've got a LOT going on at my dayjob between now and May. It would be irresponsible of me to just decide that I'm taking a few days off during that time, considering the fact that they are counting on me being there.

(Besides, I just got a promotion and want to impress the boss. thumbsup.gif )

So what's the word guys? Still room for one more?

Frank, word is that the Best Western has rooms. I'd advise placing yourself on the waiting list at the Holiday Inn Express, as there will inevitably be a cancellation or two closer to the event.

So what's the word guys? Still room for one more?

Frank, word is that the Best Western has rooms. I'd advise placing yourself on the waiting list at the Holiday Inn Express, as there will inevitably be a cancellation or two closer to the event.

That's good advice. The Best Western is, shall we say, seedy. smile.gif

That's good advice. The Best Western is, shall we say, seedy. smile.gif

I remember looking around that place too ... *snicker* Im sure those that are staying there appreciate hearing about it like this.

BTW, I was able to snag a room. Thanx for the offers guys, it was quite a generous out pouring. Now you call can spend the weekend telling me about how I dont know how to ride a Duc.

-- Spike

I remember looking around that place too ... *snicker* Im sure those that are staying there appreciate hearing about it like this.

Hey, you know me--a motivational speaker to the core. grin.gif

But I did warn people about "the other hotel."

BTW, I was able to snag a room. Thanx for the offers guys, it was quite a generous out pouring. Now you call can spend the weekend telling me about how I dont know how to ride a Duc.

Hey, don't feel like you need to ride all that way just for us to tell you that. tongue.gif

David,

My wife and I are planning to attend. It looks like the Holiday Inn is all booked up, and so we had to book a room in Murphy. Looking forward to this. Thanks for setting it up.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Count me in! My first rally, woo hoo! smile.gif
clap.gif

Also, how do I open the maps if I don't have a Garmin unit?
I keep telling you Newsie... all you need is an eTrex and some cyanoacrylate... poor man's HUD! wink.gif

P.S. Ride with Hunky and me and we'll all get lost together. eek.gif

WE might not get too lost. I just got a GPS.

thumbsup.gif

Newsie - Keep working on Eff. He needs to discover the south.

Hunky

• 3 weeks later...

David, Just wanted to make sure my name was on the list. Please add Ron Burbank. I'm one of the two from the deep swamp Dean referred to. Can't wait clap.gif

I'm in the midst of planning stages for getting to Blairsville, GA, by Thursday night, April 21. Blairsville is 751.19 miles or 12 hours, 9 minutes from my location according to Mapquest. Being that I have owned my RT for two years now putting on 6,000 miles in that time, I still have yet to take a long trip like this one and thus am not going to push all 751 miles in one day. However, at my halfway point, around Metropolis, IL to Paducah, KY, there is the International Quilt Show at this time! Hotel rates are sky high and damn near every one of them is sold out! tongue.gif There is a Days Inn in Kuttawa, KY, for $90!!! Usually Days Inns are cheap around $50. I've never stayed at a Days Inn either: are they good? $90 sounds a little steep... this entire area has raised their rates because of this quilt show. Maybe I'll just try to push through to the Nashville area and get a hotel around Murfreesboro or something (like I did on my way to Florida last year--but that was in a mini-van!). It's 553 miles or 8 hours, 30 minutes, so perhaps that's an option. However, it feels like a lot to me in one day as a first-time long-distance push. And it doesn't look like there is much in between Kentucky and Nashville. At least I don't remember there being much!

Anybody else going from the Chicagoland area have any ideas or plans as to where they are staying mid-way for the trip, or are all you Chicago crew people just pushing through to Blairsville in one day on Thursday?

Open to suggestions and ideas! David, any suggestions for cities or hotels to stay on I-24 in northern Tennessee?

There a bunch of hotels in Clarksville, TN just over the KY/TN border. I usually stay there on my trips to WI or MN when I leave Atlanta after work. A quick check of Travelocity shows a few under $50. You would be about 4 hours from Blairsville.

Argh! Unfortunately, I'm out. I go under the knife on 4/21 (nothing too serious) which also means that I'll be 'parked' for 3 - 5 weeks. Not only will I miss El Paseo but Mayhem as well. Argh again. frown.gif

push through to the Nashville area and get a hotel around Murfreesboro or something... It's 553 miles

Can't speak for the Chicago group, but that's what Donna and I are doing out of KC, and Draftermike and ?. KC to Nashville is 555, so it's about the same for us.

A 550 day is not too bad, but do yourself a favor and do a 300 "shake down" trip first!

Sam, Sorry to hear of the impending surgery eek.gif its tough to miss these events, clap.gif but on the bright side there is still the Unrally,you could walk to that grin.gif

Sam, Sorry to hear of the impending surgery eek.gif its tough to miss these events, clap.gif but on the bright side there is still the Unrally,you could walk to that grin.gif

Thanks Big-T. The Unrally is still on my schedule (as is the national BMW rally) so I hope to at least see you again in Staunton. One good thing about the surgery is that it will give me a good excuse (this time) for being slower than you!

Thanks for the link to the site, I'm new to the group and trying to get a handle on navigating around the DBs and site. Unfortunately, I can't make this version, have the fall dates been set yet?

Matt

Lone_RT_rider

Hey there Todd! I just surfed the page and it seems to be working fine. I went to the attending page and saw the 2 pics with my ugly mug in them. Somebody really needs to change those, people might be scared away from the event all together!

eek.gifgrin.gif

Shawn

Does that work? You had your coffee yet?

NO ! Yes!......any suggestions for us computer illiterate folks??? grin.gif

Must be a problem with your internet connection? Not sure. Any specific info you are looking for that I can help with? smile.gif

Any specific info you are looking for that I can help with?

I was going to register for the R1100s giveaway grin.gif and see if any monies were due for supper ?

Any specific info you are looking for that I can help with?

I was going to register for the R1100s giveaway grin.gif and see if any monies were due for supper ?

I've registered you for a beat up KLR giveaway. grin.gif And supper stuff will be announced shortly. I've about got it worked out. Probably BBQ from a good place down the road. It'll be a little less fancy and cheaper to account for that. But just send me your bank account info and I'll deduct the "proper amount" as soon as I know what it is. tongue.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday

Hey David -

I checked out the 7 routes in the PDF file on the El Paseo website. There was mention that at least one of them would be a GS route. Which one(s) is it?

Also, my Mapsource software (V5.2) doesn't recognize *.GDB files. Any way we can get an *.MPS file instead?

Mitch, I'll let Mark Davis answer the first question and MattS the second. They've been handling the route stuff. I'll send them both a note.

Mitch, I believe the GS route is the second of the 7 pages in the PDF file (as the GS route is the second of seven in the Mapsource file). As for Mapsource 5.2, why doncha get a free upgrade to 6.5?

As for Mapsource 5.2, why doncha get a free upgrade to 6.5?

Ya! From what I've seen it's nothing but better.

Archived