El Paseo V, Blairsville, GA, April 22-24

David

El Paseo V will be held the weekend of April 22-24, 2005 at:

WELCM_EXTR_01_D.jpg

Holiday Inn Express

333 Fisher St.

Blairsville, GA 30512

706/745-6844

I would recommend that you go ahead and snag your room. There's less traffic in the spring, so it's not a "hot" weekend like the fall is with the leaf watching, but our crowd for the spring El Paseo has always been larger (over 100)--maybe from the pent up winter blues?

There are only 65 rooms in the hotel, and only one other hotel--Best Western--in town. And let me just say that *cough* we got the good hotel. smile.gif So grab a room and just cancel it later if you don't need it.

The hotel has a nice little park in the back, an indoor pool, free "breakfast," and high speed internet access.

Mention "BMW" to get the special rate of $59/night. It seems like most people are riding all day Friday and all day Saturday, which means that many folks may arrive Thursday instead of Friday. Our room block is for all three nights (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday).

Why the move? First, variety is the spice of life and maybe it's time for a change of hotel and dinner plans Saturday night. Second, Cherokee isn't all that easy to get to from the west and north. Third, Cherokee is central to some great roads, but there are none (save the BRP) immediately nearby. Fourth, you all need to experience the awesome roads in GA. Blairsville is smack in the middle of some fantastic ones. Besides, it's only 75 miles to the southwest. (When we move this again, it'll not go further south, but probably some place like Sweetwater, TN.)

This time around Mark Davis (with some help from ChrisK and ein Insley will put together about five routes for us, and I'm sure MattS will help us out with digital GPS versions of the same. Dinner will hopefully be with "Rib Country." I've already talked with Carl Fisk about it, and three of us sampled the goodies. All I need is a place to do it.

Anyway, that's it for now. Something to look forward to, anyway. grin.gif

David,

Please add me to the list for El Paseo V. I have reserved a room at HI Express.

Nice pick for a weekend trip! I get to spend time in that area on business occasionally.

Reservations made!

As Dave mentioned, Ken Insley, MattS and Chris K will be helping me put together some fantastic routes. Ken and MattS have already sent over some great ideas! We will include all the standard favorites, plus throw in a few local backroads you may not have ridden before. We will also be putting together a great "GS" route.

If you have any personal favorites in the area, feel free to shoot me a PM and we will see if we can incorporate it into one of the routes.

And of course, all the routes will be scouted repeatedly all through the winter just to make sure they are going to be winnersthumbsup.gif

Reservations made. Two of us from the deep swamp.

Just got home from tech day with ChrisK and company and found this.

Yipee!!

Thanks for the heads up.

In, and hopefully Brynda will be there this time as well.

Heck, I'm looking foreward to helping plan the rides for you guys. clap.gif

I'm booked for Thursday through Saturday night.

FYI the BMW block is already sold out for Thursday night. The Thursday night rate is now $89.00 as per 1-800-HOLIDAY.

I'll be with Cindy this year and I'm planning a week long riding vacation to end with El Paseo. Those roads were just to damn good!

Sounds great! in. just don't know about the hotel. tried to book a room this am. called the hotel, they said to call 1-800-holiday. was told the bmw rate doesn't work was quoted $84.55 thurs. $103.00 fri.-sat. also was told only thing available at this time was king bed only. still booked but hope this changes.

Marty

Sounds great! in. just don't know about the hotel. tried to book a room this am. called the hotel, they said to call 1-800-holiday. was told the bmw rate doesn't work was quoted $84.55 thurs. $103.00 fri.-sat. also was told only thing available at this time was king bed only. still booked but hope this changes.

Marty, it sounds like the front desk person isn't getting it. Call back later and tell them that the rate is $59 for all three nights and they'll fix it for you.

There's someone (at the moment) who is apparently incompetent. Her system is down, which is why she's having you call the toll-free number. But just make sure she understands that you want a group rate ("BWM") negotiated with the hotel for those dates in April.

Sorry about the trouble you are having, folks.

Sounds like the Holiday Inn Express has messed up. They (at 800-HOLIDAY) say all Thursday night rooms are booked but there are rooms at $59 on Fri. and Sat. Calling the hotel directly got this answer: "Our system is down--please call again tomorrow or call the 800 number." crazy.gif

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

In! Reservations made for Thurs, Fri and Sat. The general manager had to manually enter it because the contract doesn't seem to have Thursday in the computer.

Can't wait to see everyone and ride Northern Georgia again.

Mark

The painful, painful process of ride scouting has begun. But for such a nice group of folks, I'm more than happy to take one for the team smile.gif.

I'm really getting excited about our "The Road Not Taken" ride featuring some of North Georgia's lesser known but equally fantastic roads.

Stealing the TOTW idea from Spike, here are some preview shots of some of our "roads not taken":

Doublehead Gap Road:

11014727-S.jpg

Sunrise Ridge Road:

11014729-S.jpg

Old Dial Road (Part of the "GS" Route)

11014730-S.jpg

Top of the dam at Lake Blue Ridge

11014734-S.jpg

More to follow over the next few months. thumbsup.gif

If you go to the hotel web page and enter "BMW" for the Group Booking Code, it will give you the $59 rate, at least for Friday and Saturday (didn't try Thursday 'cause I know I can't take that much time off work). As of the time of this post, they had king non-smoking, double non-smoking, and double smoking available. (Whassamatta Baker, you can't swing us a deal on the Jacuzzi suites? What kind of cockamamie outfit is this?)

Suz'anne and I just got back from the area. We are booked for three nights at the HI Express for El Paseo V. Helen was mobbed for the last weekend of Oktoberfest! The GPS came in very handy for negotiating 75.

Steve

Thanks DavidS I just booked the last double for Friday and Saturday. I hope to be able to get away Thursday but would prefer to spend it wandering my way there rather than rushing to get there. Been finding some pretty nice roads between here and there lately so it seems a shame to slab it there and back home.

The painful, painful process of ride scouting has begun.

Mark, if you need some "help" on one of these "scouting" rides, drop me a line.

Bill

For some reason the web site returned "unavailable" for Thurs to Sun although it would book Fri to Sun. Was able to book the three nights by phone with no problem.

Lone_RT_rider

I had the same problem and fixed it in the same manner. The person taking the call said she was working on that issue trying to get it resolved.

Shawn

I Just finished booking a room at Holiday Inn Express. Shala aparantly has fixed the reservation problem there.

Kathe and I are planing to arive Thursday April 21 and leaving Sunday April 24, 2005

We're looking forward to seeing all of you again. clap.gif

Peter

I'm in too. I made the reservation via telephone, then checked here using the confirmation number to make sure the rate showed up correctly. To my surprise Shala got the dates wrong and it showed Friday as the first night. I had to call her back to correct that, and she told me there was some confusion because the special rate had originally been set up for Fri-Sat and was then changed to include Thurs. Whatever, it's right now. I recommend you check your reservation using your confirmation number and last name at the above linked URL to be certain the dates and rate are correct.

Looking forward to seeing all my new riding buddies in April! clap.gif

Yes Tasker, we will probably break it down in to two days. Yahoo maps has it at 93 miles, so I think we may overnight in Tellico Plains. grin.gif

I'm in too. I made the reservation via telephone, then checked here using the confirmation number to make sure the rate showed up correctly. To my surprise Shala got the dates wrong and it showed Friday as the first night. I had to call her back to correct that, and she told me there was some confusion because the special rate had originally been set up for Fri-Sat and was then changed to include Thurs. Whatever, it's right now. I recommend you check your reservation using your confirmation number and last name at the above linked URL to be certain the dates and rate are correct.

Looking forward to seeing all my new riding buddies in April! clap.gif

Thanks for the link.

I checked and my reservation is ok. thumbsup.gif

Peter

John Ranalletta

In. JR & RR. Fri/Sat/Sun eve.

I faxed my reservation specifying $59 rate w/ cc# & exp and asked them to call me with a confirm #. Worked like a charm.

In. Bringing along a SCUM riding buddy -- Gilbert Terry. Buell driver who used to race SV650's. He and Hebert can tell lies about who is a better helicopter pilot.

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
The painful, painful process of ride scouting has begun. But for such a nice group of folks, I'm more than happy to take one for the team smile.gif.

Mark, I'm thinking about leading a photo ride at the next El Paseo. I didn't take nearly enough photos at this past one and I'd like to make up for it.

So, if there's any chance keep it in mind and note where nice stops might be. My thought is a ride of 150-200 miles with a fair number of "programmed" stops for people to take pics. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Excellent idea, Mark!

Ken Insley, who is helping me with the routes, is a professional photographer and has a really good eye for that kind of stuff. I'll pass on the suggestion.

Excellent link for checking the reservation. I guess that means i'm in!!! Hopefully future elpaseo's don't go any farther south or i might have to try for an iron butt on the way down smile.gif

I am sooo pumped for this... again clap.gif

I just got off the phone with the Holiday Inn Express in Blairsville, GA. I was told that to make a reservation for the BMW group in April 2005 I have to call back on Friday and speak with Shelly because she is the only one who can take reservations for this event. eek.gif ???

Archived