IGNORED

El Paseo V, Blairsville, GA, April 22-24

David

Joe Frickin' Friday
As for Mapsource 5.2, why doncha get a free upgrade to 6.5?

blush.gif

Didn't realize I was so far behind the times! I'm downloading it right now. Thanks for the tip!

steve.foote

Just a quick El Paseo road report.

War Woman road is in excellent condition.

Hiway 28 from Georgia/SC boarder to Hiway 129 (Deals Gap) is in excellent condition with a couple of small construction areas.

Hiway 129 including Deals Gap is in excellent condition.

Cherohala Skyway is looking good with a little snow remaining on the higher elevations. Should be gone by EPV. Trees on TN side look like there may be disease among them.

Wayah Road is still covered mixed sand and gravel in the higher elevations.

Hiway 76 between Hiawassee and Clayton has some heavy construction going on. There may be several delays and large steel plates covering the hiway.

Fun road found at hiways 197 & 356 off of 76 enroute to Helen.

See you all there! cool.gif

StretchMark

Great report Steve!!

Wayah seems to keep some of its gravel or sand all year long, so we'll have to watch it.

Glad you liked 197 and 356 near Helen. We have them on a couple of routes.

We did try and avoid 76 as much as possible but thanks for the reminder.

Wish I could of joined you! Got that GS for El Paseo yet smile.gif

Could someone give me an idea of weather we could expect, temp wise, for both the rides and the hotel. I know we will be hitting some altitude rides and am trying to work out the clothing deal as me and my sweety will be coming up from the pan handle of Florida on Friday.

Thanks,

Calvin  (no socks)

I keep the hotel thermostat at 70, to make me feel at home! wink.gif As for the ride, the faster you go the colder it gets.....I would expect anything from frost to 80 degrees.

steve.foote

John, you can expect temps ranging from 40 to 80 degrees. I personally will be wearing my Air Flow gear and keep a sweatshirt and windshirt handy for the cooler times.

Definately pack the raingear.

StretchMark

I got up at 6:00am this morning to make the final test run of the GS route. I think it's a winner!! thumbsup.gif

Just enough dirt and gravel mixed in with some nice twisties and some pretty technical GS style pavement sections. We had a ton of rain a few days ago, but the dirt/gravel sections remained in excellent condition.

I do want to throw out a warning about the route sheets and mapsource files. They should be used as a guide only blush.gif. I'm still new to the GPS thing, but I thought I had this GS route laid out perfectly. I made at least 10 U-turns today eek.gif and got at least another 10 false "Off-route" announcements. I found the whole thing pretty frustrating, but once I turned the "auto-recalculate" off, I was able to get back on track fairly quickly.

I did all the route sheets directly from the Garmin MapSource output, but after today, guite frankly, I don't have a lot of confidence in them. So at El Paseo, try to hook up with someone with a GPS or make sure you have a good local map as a backup.

I'll be getting with MattS this week to put the finishing touches on the maps/direction sheets so we can put the final version on the El Paseo Rides web page.

An idea, FWIW. If you've done the rides, upload the track logs and put them in the mapsource file. Others can download the track logs into their GPS and have the route overlayed on the map screen.

I wouldn't expect the "on road navigation" features to get along with any good GS ride. ;) I do this for snowmobile trips (which are on trails and whatnot) and it works pretty well.

Just a quick El Paseo road report.

War Woman road is in excellent condition.

Hiway 28 from Georgia/SC boarder to Hiway 129 (Deals Gap) is in excellent condition with a couple of small construction areas.

Hiway 129 including Deals Gap is in excellent condition.

Cherohala Skyway is looking good with a little snow remaining on the higher elevations. Should be gone by EPV. Trees on TN side look like there may be disease among them.

Wayah Road is still covered mixed sand and gravel in the higher elevations.

Hiway 76 between Hiawassee and Clayton has some heavy construction going on. There may be several delays and large steel plates covering the hiway.

Fun road found at hiways 197 & 356 off of 76 enroute to Helen.

Bite me.

Oh, sorry this isn't ADVrider.

What I meant to say was thanks for working hard to provide us with relevant information.

thumbsup.gif

StretchMark

I believe the current plan was to have the BBQ place down the road cater to the hotel. I think Dave was going to post the details.

CousinEddie

Looking for a roomie. I have a double reserved at the Holiday Inn for Friday and Saturday nights. Only stipulation is a non-smoker (or willing to go outside to smoke). Please email me if interested.

Hey all,

Due to my upcoming move to the PNW, I'm out. I was intending to share a room w. JonRoge so I'm going to turn it over to him.

Damn, I hate missing this trip

Hope y'all have fun, I'll be watching for pics.

Dave

John Ranalletta
A-ha. That 'splains everything.
Forgot to mention that he had to ride with 2 GS' all day Sunday. The "bite me" thing is just his way of making nice.

Just wanted to give you all up update on what'll be happening Saturday night for our usual dinner. We'll count on 6:30p, as before. If the weather is good, we'll go through a buffet line outdoors and then mingle as we eat. There are chairs by the pool and there are picnic tables at the park that adjoins the hotel parking lot. If the weather is bad, we'll get our food in the lobby and mingle in there and under the front deck.

Dinner is from Rib Country. We've sampled the food and it's good. Served will be your choice of pork and/or chicken sandwich; coleslaw; baked beans; bread; and sweet/unsweet tea. Dessert is cobbler. You can bring your own adult beverages. The cost, which we'll collect there, is $13.

To keep this simple and to keep the cost down, we don't have other choices on the menu. If you want to hang with us but don't like this choice of food, snag something down the road and brown bag it to join us for the fellowship part.

I'm ordering for 100 people, so if you don't plan to be there, please let me know or I'm going to be stuck with a pretty big bill. tongue.gif

We'll see how this works. It's not the fancier arrangements we had before, but it's cheaper and less complicated. El Paseo is meant to be as unscripted as possible, and I hope you don't mind about that. We just let things happen.

Paul Mihalka

On Thursday or Friday (or Thursday AND Friday?) I plan to take a ride to Helen to have a Wienerschnitzel or something for dinner. About 30 miles, nice roads. Any joiners?

On Thursday or Friday (or Thursday AND Friday?) I plan to take a ride to Helen to have a Wienerschnitzel or something for dinner. About 30 miles, nice roads. Any joiners?

Hmmm... I haven't had a good chicken fried steak since I left Texas.

Lone_RT_rider

If you go Friday Paul, I think I would be interested.

Shawn

steve.foote

Paul,

Silvia and I had a similar idea. We're in for Friday. smile.gif

StretchMark

I usually avoid Helen like the plague, but Wienerschnitzel with Old Fart...can't pass that up! I will try to be in for Friday night. I like Hans German restaurant (1st one on the right when you come into town from the north), unless you know a better one. They used to cater to the motorcyclist and had motorcycle parking only out front, but no more. The attitude toward motorcyclists in Helen has definitely changed.

David,

Sorry to have to cancel. Had a melt down with the landlord at the office and was told to be out by June 1st. As luck has it already found another office, better location at the half the cost.

will be moving equipment the next few weekends.

Already cancelled my reservation, so there should be one double nonsmoking available.

Dean frown.gif

In for Friday night, for sure. Maybe both nights, depending on when we get in Thursday. clap.gif

RichEdwards

German food on Friday night, deep-south cooking on Saturday night. This is starting to sound like a Goldwing gathering---squeeze in some riding between belly-restocking binges. grin.gifgrin.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday

Well jeez, I guess I'm in for Friday too. Don't want to be all alone at the McDonald's in Blairsville! blush.gif

I hope everyone has looked at the Tour de Georgia web site which is linked from the El Paseo site. The Fri and Sat stages look to me to have the potential to screw up some of the popular roads in the area such as Rt 60 through Suches and Wolfpen Gap. The site provides maps of the course and approximate times for viewing the racers (but no info as to road closures.) It looks to me that the best strategy will be to ride the Ga roads in the morning and head to NC for the afternoon. Also I would expect more traffic in general since last years race drew an estimated 700,000 spectators (spread over a wide area and several days.)

Lone_RT_rider
Well jeez, I guess I'm in for Friday too. Don't want to be all alone at the McDonald's in Blairsville! blush.gif

I know you better than that. You would be at the Wendy's.....eating a chicken sandwich.....if there is a Wendy's in Blairsville. grin.gif

Shawn

last years race drew an estimated 700,000 spectators
Sorry, I don't mean to be an alarmist. I got that figure from a friend who saw last years race but I suspect that he may have added one too many zeros.

Actually, it was a little closer to 750K spectators, but a goodly sized chunk of them simply stood outside their homes as the race passed, then went back in, so it's a bit of a misleading stat. It is the premier pro stage race in the US, however, so start/finish towns (and surrounding roads) will be jam packed with spectators.

Lone_RT_rider
Actually, it was a little closer to 750K spectators, but a goodly sized chunk of them simply stood outside their homes as the race passed, then went back in, so it's a bit of a misleading stat. It is the premier pro stage race in the US, however, so start/finish towns (and surrounding roads) will be jam packed with spectators.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!! crazy.gifdopeslap.gif Is it to late to move the whole thing back to Cherokee??

*Ducks as David try's to beat him with a 2X4*

Shawn

The Fri and Sat stages look to me to have the potential to screw up some of the popular roads in the area such as Rt 60 through Suches and Wolfpen Gap. The site provides maps of the course and approximate times for viewing the racers (but no info as to road closures.)

A couple of guys from New Jersey -- Scott and Richie -- marshalled the 2004 Tour de Georgia aboard Triumph motorcycles. I believe Richie said the road closures are super short, in the neighborhood of 15 minutes; that the road is only closed around the main pack. So unless you were riding exactly their route at exactly the same time, you might not notice.

I would say Friday you're going to have a tough time at Wolfpen Gap and Suches.

fri.gif

There is a multi-lap loop stage in the afternoon just ahead of the finish, which is scheduled between 2:50p and 3:38p. Friday

Saturday won't be too bad. Most of the best roads here are perpendicular to the bicycle route.

sat.gif

ETA at Brasstown Bald between 4 and 5pm. Saturday

Sunday they head for Alpharetta, but not via Dahlonega, and they leave Blairsville in the afternoon.

sun.gif

Sunday

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Paul,

Count me in for Friday. I wouldn't want to get to the McDonalds and realize that Mitch left for Helen without me. wink.gif

Mark

Paul Mihalka

I am getting a bit worried about this Helen dinner ride. I did not take into account the cycle race. I checked EXPEDIA and all the Helen hotels are packed with no vacancy. All these people have to eat somewhere. I don't think we will be able to get into a restaurant as a group on short notice. From the "INs" I get a headcount of about 18 already. If anything we may have to split into smaller groups and see where we can squeze in. Any suggestions?

Paul,

There are several restaurants in b-ville that aren't wendys/subway. Never seen any of them/but due to the bike race, it might be a good idea to go local that night. There is a seafood/a mex and others.

Your thoughts?

Lone_RT_rider
I am getting a bit worried about this Helen dinner ride. I did not take into account the cycle race. I checked EXPEDIA and all the Helen hotels are packed with no vacancy. All these people have to eat somewhere. I don't think we will be able to get into a restaurant as a group on short notice. From the "INs" I get a headcount of about 18 already. If anything we may have to split into smaller groups and see where we can squeze in. Any suggestions?

Paul, a co-worker that lived just outside of Helen for the last 6 years suggested a place called Edleweiss right off the corner of 17 and the main road that comes into Helen. I believe with the race we are going to have a hard time getting into just about anywhere. Your definitely on the right track with keeping the groups small. From working in the resturaunt business in the past the best way to do it is in groups of 4 or less.

I might take a few of us and head for Edleweiss instead. Also a pleasure to be in your company my friend, but as always you have the best idea. We can raise a toast later in the evening after dinner.

StretchMark

You're right Paul...Helen will be a disaster. I'm dropping out, but I'm going to drag my Weber grill up, a bag of Kingsford, a six pack of Pilsner Urquell and some brats and go to town cool.gif. I'll keep the fire going for anyone who wants to toss some food on the grill.

Paul Mihalka

As a alternative I remembered The Smith House in Dahlonega, a family serving style restaurant, that is very good. I called them. For Friday 4/22 they are overbooked. No way... It will be tough... frown.gif

Archived