IGNORED

Hoon on the loose ..... Jacqueline heads to Alaska

Jacqueline

I made her take it off the GS today....It was bad enough dealing with the Paparazi chasing us around town while we shopped for Larry and Louise's Baby present.

Now she is eating Italian leftovers...but that is another story.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

PS: She has seen the Yellow Moose Racing Pants

Jacqueline

Barbara update; a couple of days ago Barbara was transported from the hospital in Asheville to a hospital in Jacksonville. She is close to home now and is recovering quickly. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

5/3/07

Thursday morning I rode out of New Mexico. I don’t have much to say about New Mexico. I was not in the state long, which is okay! grin.gif

The ride was windy! eek.gif I had been warned about the wind in Kansas but not about the wind in New Mexico and Arizona. Today I had to list my bike to the left to keep in on the rode and going straight. I was defiantly getting a workout riding today. crazy.gif

I had passed several groves of beautifully manicured trees in South Texas, New Mexico and now in Arizona. They caught my eye as they were so green and well kept in the middle of what appeared to be desert. The wind had died down and I was able to enjoy the scenery and finally I had some insight as what there groves are. blush.gif A sign…. Walnuts, Pecans and wine just ahead. I now knew what these beautiful groves were and I was admiring one, when the wind caught me and I was off the rode, (blown sideways). eek.gifdopeslap.gif

149647568-L.jpg

149647591-L.jpg

I needed to take a break (I needed a bench to lay down on for half an hour). So I found a rest area, but the benches were to small for even me.... so I layed on the ground for half an hour. When getting back on my bike I looked over and saw this sign crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

149647642-L.jpg

glad I saw it after and not before.... lmao.gif

Got to Tucson and called Tom (azkaisr) to let him know I was making my approach into Phoenix. On the road I came up on a rider on a 1200GS we waved to each other and seem to keep up with each other until I reached Phoenix and exited the highway to find my way to Tom’s. I arrived close to 5:00pm. We sat and talked; Tom showed me his beautiful house and made me feel right at home. We went to dinner at a very nice little Italian Restaurant.

149647652-L.jpg

149647663-L.jpg

This is Carrie our server…..her real name grin.gif

149647658-L.jpg

5/4/07

While Tom worked (from home that day) (I had mentioned the night before I needed an oil change soon, Tom between work calls made a call to the local BMW Dealer and scheduled an oil change for that afternoon for me), I worked on the computer and my Star Traxx site creating a ride report and washed some of the bug bodies (that now where many deep) off the bike.

At 1:30 we mounted our bikes and headed to the Dealership for my oil change. WOW…nice Dealership.

149647676-L.jpg

Daytona BMW boast as being the largest dealership (not sure if that’s sales $’s, volume, square footage, or what)… But Victory BMW is no small fry, and to the eye appears larger then the Daytona store.

149647714-L.jpg

thumbsup.gifPixie, their Service Advisor was great, friendly and helpful.

149647743-L.jpg (the Pixi pose)

Got my bike right in and we waited while they did the oil changed. While waiting I got to meet Tom the Floor Manager.

149647691-L.jpg

I had a nice conversation with Tom and he showed me some pictures from his recent trip up the California Coast! Beautiful! clap.gif

149647702-L.jpg

Tom and Tom talking cameras…..

After we left the Dealership we took a ride to some of out laying area……..

149647780-L.jpg

149647845-L.jpg

149647868-L.jpg

149647916-L.jpg

149647942-L.jpg

149648018-L.jpg

149648058-L.jpg

Once back home Tom worked on adding frakles to his GS and we looked at my time table, where I wanted to ride (before getting to Alaska) and working Torrey into my plans grin.gif! Also talked about the snow eek.gif at the Grand Canyon that is forecasted for Saturday…the snow was not part of our plans…..

Francois_Dumas

Great report, wonderful photos, and glad to hear Barbara is mending !!! thumbsup.gif

ESokoloff
149647691-L.jpg

I don't know if I would trust this Tom-Tom with giving you the best road directions grin.gif

Good news about Barbara indeed clap.gif

Will you be coming to the (Western) smel LA area?

Love your photos Jacqueline. You have a natural eye and they really bring the narrative to life. thumbsup.gif

P.S We missed you at our BMWR of TB picnic today.

Lemme guess, Phils GSA?

149647845-L.jpg

And, I won't even venture a guess about this one. tongue.gif

149647702-L.jpg

Another great report, Jacqueline. Glad you're having a safe & fun trip.

This woman is wearing me out! I mean all we do is have fun all day long! Tomorrow is going to be more of the same I bet. Maybe getting her off to CA may be a good thing as I need some rest before Torrey. Actually she has been a total sweetheart and a lot of fun to have around and I can’t wait to get on the road again tomorrow with her.

A few shots I took from today.

149839925-L.jpg

Here we are at the bottom of the first canyon we rode through. Jacqueline looks to be about 4' tall in this picture compared to my Monster GS!

149839773-L.jpg

Our bikes together at the bottom of Fish Creek. The Panier bags rock and the day glo yellow are really great at making the bike visible.

149839968-L.jpg

The Martian in a Saguaro Forest

149840377-L.jpg We were stuck in this type of scenery all day.

149838852-L.jpg

The road to Roosevelt Lake

149841233-L.jpg

The dam

149847456-L.jpg

As we rode back into town, I saw a couple of buddies from the office who were getting back into town from doing some back road exploring in their trucks. These guys go places that are amazing.

149838144-L.jpg

My buddy Josh is always asking me to tag along. His ride tales are pretty amazing. Almost nothing on this truck is stock anymore as he has total made it into a rock crawler.

149838601-L.jpg

After a great meal overlooking Phoenix, we headed back to the house. What did I find waiting? My new seat!! Whoohoo!!

More tomorrow

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Richard_D

Jacqueline, After seeing the snakes and poisonous insect sign, I hope you don't stay at any hotels that say "Prison". Be careful. I love your pictures and reports.

Jacqueline

5/05/07

We had hope to go to the Grand Canyon, but it was snowing up there eek.gif, so Tom was kind enough to show me some more sights of Phoenix and the surrounding area. He was going to show me some beautiful sights and a great “DIRT ROAD” thumbsup.gif! After the sand in Florida I was ready for a real dirt road. I was excited! cool.gif (It really doesn’t take much to make this girl happy).

We head out of town and are on our way to see the lakes (yes there really are lakes in the desert), we were not far in to our adventure when we come upon a man and his new Honda tongue.gif. Tom gives a hand gesture and the man gestures back that he’s down. We pull over to see if we can help in anyway. James was out on his new Honda and not sure of the tank range….

150302501-L.jpg

He now had a very good idea of his range. Tom rode off to get gas and I stayed and talked with James. He was a little upset that he had gotten into this situation as he has been riding the hills, and desert for 20 years now. But it was a new bike…. Tom came back with gas and the bike started right up. clap.gif

150302542-L.jpg

Some of the twisties remind me of the roads in GA, NC, and Tenn.…. The scenery is just different. smile.gif We rode in the Tonto National Forest and stopped at Tortilla Flats to take in the tourist area,

150302636-L.jpg

150302666-L.jpg

150302682-L.jpg

150302698-L.jpg

before we got to the Apache Trail…. The dirt road! This road must be just how it was when the Apaches used it. What an experience!

150318143-L.jpg

150318017-L.jpg

150318163-L.jpg

150318155-L.jpg

Dirt road, very narrow in places, very twisty, very steep, little or no guard rail, and very washboard in large areas. At times I thought every bolt on the bike was going to be rattled lose. My new XM Radio did go airborne eek.gifeek.gifdopeslap.gif… I stopped and managed to find all the pieces (it still works, but it no longer looks new).

At the end of the dirt road was a dam…

150307834-L.jpg

150307789-L.jpg

and this fanatic bridge.

I then got a tour of Mesa, Tempe, and Guadalupe. Tom took me to Guadalupe (a place I would never go on me own) which is a very, very poor community, we crossed a bridge that goes over I-10 and were in a completely different world… WOW. Here we stopped for diner at Rustlers Roost…a great steak house. clap.gif

150286047-L.jpg

150285990-L.jpg

150285964-L.jpg

150285975-L.jpg

Stefania

150286086-L.jpg

150286102-L.jpg

150286125-L.jpg

Then it was home where I crashed by 8:30pm…….. (I think it was the dirt road).

WOW….a great day, great company, and a great meal!

Tom is GREAT clap.gif.

Jacqueline

Sunday 5/06/07

We took off early this morning headed for the Grand Canyon! clap.gif One of my favorite places! The weather was still on the cool side at the Canyon, so we made sure we had some warmer gear with us.

It was neat riding through Phoenix just after 7am, with little to no traffic on the freeways, listening to tunes from the 70’s on my XM radio……. I felt like I was in a video. After about an hour of riding we had gotten to a higher elevation and one could feel the temperature change…. COLD!

So we took a break at a Starbucks…

150326178-L.jpg

Tom had a coffee drink, while I had hot chocolate and we put on more gear…. I was beginning to wonder why I brought my heated gear!!!!

I learned a few things today…. First, with ear plugs in listening to the radio I can not hear my bike, hence I also learned that once the 650GS hits 90 in 4th gear, it red lines eek.gifand the gas supply seems to get cut off……

It was neat when Humphreys Peak (highest point in Arizona) came into view, a beautiful mountain with a snow covered peak.

150325889-L.jpg

There was still snow on the ground along 180 and a couple had stopped along side the road and built a small snowman. cool.gif Also along 180 we got a surprise when an Antelope jumped out in front of us! eek.gif

The entrance to the park was busy, and I was directed into a different lane than Tom. Tom got through the entrance first and pulled over to wait for me, resting the bike to the right. I pulled up just behind Tom. Tom wanted to tell me something so he waved for me to come up on his left side. thumbsup.gif I pull up beside him (now remember I have a 650GS with Jesse bags crazy.gif, Tom has a 1200GS with BMW bags (fully extended) frown.gif) and he proceeds to tell me something and at the same time, up rights his bike…… eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif pushing my bike (with me on it) over! I also learned today that a Jesse bag can not occupy the same space as a BMW bag on a 1200GS with a man on it. grin.gifgrin.gif I laughed about it for about 15 minutes….. I’m sure the people still coming through the entrance were also laughing.

150324304-L.jpg

150324328-L.jpg

150324369-L.jpg

150324419-L.jpg

150324317-L.jpg

150329946-L.jpg

150329937-L.jpg

The ride home seem colder and we saw it snowing off in the distance. But we were headed for warmer weather thumbsup.gif.

The freeway in and around Phoenix were very busy. I couldn’t believe the traffic for a Sunday evening, or the entertainment. There was a cat fight in the left lane in downtown Phoenix during heavy traffic eek.gif! Should have gotten some pictures tongue.gif….. But then again I might have been the next cat in the fight.

Another WOW and wonderful day! Tom has been great!

Francois_Dumas

Amazing scenery ! Thanks for taking the time to share all this ! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Great pix!

I told ya to watch out for Tom, but I didn't think he would knock you over with his bike eek.gif

Good Luck on your quest.

Where to next???.....or do I just have to follow the Satellite to find out.

Whip

3 weeks will be early enough/pay no attention to these slackers. wave.gif

I hope you're paying attention - this is a great thread and note the pics!!!! lmao.gif

Jacequlin, the story keeps getting better thumbsup.gif

Knifemaker

Hope your ears weren't burning to bad today. Your friends at BMW-NEF were talking about you today's meeting and you made the "Shop Rag". We miss you in this part of the country. Barbera is back in Jax. Keep errrr going and watch out for those "BIG BROTHER GS's".

For shame pushing our little Jackie around like that. We need to teach some Southern Hospitality to those people out west lmao.giflmao.gif

Ok she is back on the road again....What a great time these past days. And even if she does tell the occasional tall tale regarding gravity and her ability to balance, I am much better off having got to spend a few days with her. She is always welcome back at the Casa Kaisr and can stay as long as she wants. Now at least I hava another reason to be excited about going to Torrey.

Tom

150245074-L.jpg

motorman587

All right all ready, start heading to Alaska. I am heading out on June 7th @ 6A, to Alaska tha this, I want to know. Outstanding pictures and tales. Keep them coming.

Jacqueline

Having problems with the connection and uploading pics. Will update my tale when I get to a better location.

I’ve been playing in the desert, the past few days… WOW, WOW, WOW!

clap.gifclap.gif

Jacqueline

WOW clap.gif

I have been wowed every day! As I was riding today I was thinking there are 100’s of people that go this very same way everyday and see what I’m seeing and they think nothing of it… it’s a shame.

Pictures do not do the Grand Canyon justice, nor do they do justice to Joshua Tree, Death Valley, or the vast mountain ranges here in California. There are just some things that you need to see first hand to get the full appreation for… and then there are those places like the Grand Canyon that just looking over the rim is not a true representation of it’s total beauty and magnitude, you have to get down it in. (Planning on doing that again soon).

Monday morning I left Tom and Phoenix and headed west….. There is a lot of desert out here crazy.gif. I truly did not realize how much. I do not swim… I have tried for years to learn but can not do it. I panic (get anxious) if I cannot touch bottom or grab something close by. Monday while riding in the desert and it was so very hot tongue.gif I began to feel that very same way, panic (anxious). It was strange. I was definitely out of the comfort zone for a while crazy.gif.

Somewhere in the desert I came upon the George Patton Museum.

151538031-L.jpg

151538216-L.jpg

151538488-L.jpg

Rode to Joshua Tree National Park,

151538857-L.jpg

with the thoughts that I might make camp there for the night that thought left my mind when I got there.

151538848-L.jpg

151539100-L.jpg

This park is different from others I have seen. The mountains appear to be huge piles of stones (stones just piled up). I’m sure it has to do with the way they have eroded over the years. I wish I had taken a refresher class on Geology before I started my adventure, to better understand some of the formations. No trees, just the Joshua Trees. The only shade is from the mountains and there is no water, unless you carry your own. I’m carrying enough water and granola bars to last a couple of days grin.gif. But I was hot and need of a shower.

Passed a few things that I wanted to get pictures of, so I found a spot I where I thought I could turn around…. WRONG! Forgot I’m in the desert and it’s SAND eek.gif. So yes when this lady pulled off the road she said OH SH%$! I had to talk myself through the situation I had gotten myself into and worked at it slowly. Got back on the road and told myself I didn’t really need those pictures thumbsup.gif.

Gas prices in 29 Palms

151539586-L.jpg

Needing some relief from the heat and sun I checked into a Motel 6 in Mojave for the night.

BeniciaRT_GT

J,

I see you are in Lake Tahoe for the night, so I recommend you head through Truckee on your way west if you get a chance and check out the Donner Museum (Actually the Emigrant Trail Museum) They even have a campground! And also head out to the meadow on the north side of Truckee. Neat little town anyway, and check out the Truckee Hotel while your in the town proper. My SO's favorite place we've ever stayed!!! Neat old building with some interesting history...

Even though I'm suggesting a north route up against I-80, I would still recommend heading back down to 50 for your westward trek...

Jacqueline

Tuesday on to Death Valley. thumbsup.gif

I woke up to find I had spent the night at a biker joint eek.gif.

151547504-L.jpglmao.gif

151547512-L.jpg

Jim and Tony, two guys from California on their way to Roswell, N.M.

Then where was his guy….. He is a biker.

151547500-L.jpg

A peddler. I have always wanted to take a long trip on a bicycle, but then again maybe there is just too much stuff one needs to bring….. Did you see that trailer? eek.gif

I rode the Eastern Sierra Scenic Byway US 395…..

151547810-L.jpg

What a road! The Eastern Sierra is a land of wonderful contrasts. The sheer rise of the Sierra Nevada creates a sharp edge two miles above the basins below. This region is home to both the lowest and highest points in the contiguous United States. It is a must ride road for everyone!

151548247-L.jpg

Stopped here for lunch.... neat little Cafe.

Then came upon this little shop.

151548678-L.jpg

I still think I’m missing something about Jerky!

151548689-L.jpg

Must be a men thing.

151549088-L.jpg

I was in awe of Death Valley and most of the time I felt as if I was out there all alone…..very few people on the road. I found it difficult to take pictures in the areas that were truly breathe taking. (The road narrow, high elevation.) There seem to be a haze over most of the Park, also making it difficult to get clear pictures. With the heat and the haze, I can see how one could see things that are not there! tongue.gif

151549494-L.jpg

151549916-L.jpg

Sand Dunes

151549672-L.jpg

It was just over 100 degrees. I don’t care what they say about it being a dry heat, it’s still HOT!!!!! I was having a hot time!

Stopped for gas and water in the Park where I met Tony.

151549489-L.jpg

He lives in the area and was out riding today on his 1100 V-STAR.

After I left the Park, I rode until I finally came to area that has trees (out of the desert thumbsup.gif), and a sweet smell filled the air immediately, Bishop, California. It sits between the two mountain ranges. The Cotton wood trees are in full swing so there is white cotton looking stuff all over. blush.gif

151551104-L.jpg

151551095-L.jpg

As I lay here in my tent and type I can hear the wind rustling in the trees and other familiar sounds of a beautiful summer night.

Firefight911

I can hardly believe I am saying this . . . do what Richard said!!!!

Take 50 west!!!!!!!!!! When you get to Folsom, CA pull off and come see me at the Fire Dept.!!! I will be working the final 24 hours (Friday, May 11) of a 96 hour stint and would be honored to have you stop by! I know it may seem a bit odd to some here, but I will actually be at work!!! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

SUPER easy to get off and back on the freeway from the station I'll be working. When you come down the hill from El Dorado Hills, get off on E. Bidwell.

I will PM my contact info in case you are around.

Go J Go!!!!!

motorman587

Question, how does someone up load pictures or have internet connection in a tent??? I am NOT a computer whiz, I can only think of phone card??? dopeslap.gif

Jacqueline,

Buy some jerky.

Great option if you get stranded, or just don't want to stop and pick up supplies before camping.

Swim?

We have a pool you bad girl. dopeslap.gif

Swim you will. lmao.gif

Enjoy the moments. wave.gif

If you stop at the firehouse, can you please kick the Putz for me? Looks like you are having a wonderful time and it will be getting even more scenic.

I am not bitter that I am now off to the office by the way.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Jacqueline
Question, how does someone up load pictures or have internet connection in a tent??? I am NOT a computer whiz, I can only think of phone card??? dopeslap.gif

When I'm in the tent I can only load the pictures to my computer from the camera, and write my tale in WORD. Once I stop in a hotel parking lot (with free wireless), or a coffee shop with internet, or like now check into a hotel (I'm doing that every once in a while)with internet, I then put it together on the broad. Last night smug mug was down for service dopeslap.gif, before I had time to post everything....so I will continue now.....

Jacqueline
Buy some jerky.

Great option if you get stranded, or just don't want to stop and pick up supplies before camping.

Now the jerky thing is making more sense:

151592264-L.jpglmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Jacqueline

Wednesday-

Finally made my mind up to lighten my load. tongue.gif At home as a rule of thumb, if I haven’t used something in three months I get rid of it. So three weeks on the bike, if I haven’t used it I’m shipping it off to Alaska thumbsup.gif. While sitting in the little Gift Shop, Registration, Restaurant of the campground this morning looking through the phone book trying to find a UPS location in walks Roger.

151594210-L.jpg

Roger is from Northern California and had come down to Bishop with is camper, a trailer hauling three of his bikes clap.gif

151593763-L.jpg

to do some riding in the area, and his sweet little dog.

151593594-L.jpg

(I've gotten some sun on my face...can you tell.... blush.gif)

151593946-L.jpg

He tells me about his bikes and where he has ridden and shows me a great map of the area. He suggests that we take his Russian Ural

151594213-L.jpg

with the sidecar into town to ship off my things and another errand I needed to do….. that I could do the driving and he would sit in the sidecar!

151594317-L.jpg

151594594-L.jpg

WOW…… I have never ridden a bike with a sidecar before….what FUN. When I asked how tight a corner the bike could take…Roger said he’d show me. I got in the sidecar and Roger gave me a ride…. Sidecar in the air….. like doing donuts in a car in an icy parking lot. I was laughing so hard.

Errands done, he gets his Aprilla out and I get on my F650GS and we head to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. We take route 168…what another fanatic road. Curves, rises, dips, sweeps, no traffic at all…… just a great road for riding a motorcycle! What vistas! I never knew California was like with! Breathtaking….The Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest is home of the oldest living things on this planet.

151596177-L.jpg

There was still snow on the ground ….

151595861-L.jpg

We were at about 10,000 feet.

The remains of a Bristlecone Pine that died in 1676 at the age of 3,200 years. (It’s the thing I’m sitting on)

151596399-L.jpg

The grain patterns are so beautiful….

151596193-L.jpg

And just the shear beauty of this very solid, old tree truck is remarkable. It’s really hard to describe as I have never seen anything like it before.

151596587-L.jpg

The views were spectacular…… I wish I could express in words (since I can not truly capture it in the pictures) the sheer beauty and the magnitude of everything. The beauty has actually brought tears to my eyes. At times I think I must have died and gone to heaven and someone forgot to tell me. I even saw a Glacier… and I’m not even in Alaska yet!

151596808-L.jpg

151596821-L.jpg

151596961-L.jpg

151594944-L.jpg

151594941-L.jpg

151595652-L.jpg

Looks like you are bored out there!

Very cool tale and your pictures are getting better and better.

Did he push you over yet?

Kaisr

Hey Jacqueline,

This is an awesome ride tale; what you've set out to do and are doing is awesome. You go girl!!!!

roadscholar

OK that does it, I am extremely jealous now. I knew your trip would be a wonderful experience, but now you're overdoing it. grin.gif

You are giving us a very refreshing look at some famous

places, thank you.

Watch out for that Roger guy, that cute little dog is just a ploy to meet a beautiful woman, and it obviously worked. grin.gif I do like his tastes in motorcycles though, he's probably OK. If you need future assistance in this area, I'm sure opinions could be rendered. grin.gif

Again, wonderful tale.

OK that does it, I am extremely jealous now. I knew your trip would be a wonderful experience, but now you're overdoing it. grin.gif

You are giving us a very refreshing look at some famous

places, thank you.

Watch out for that Roger guy, that cute little dog is just a ploy to meet a beautiful woman, and it obviously worked. grin.gif I do like his tastes in motorcycles though, he's probably OK. If you need future assistance in this area, I'm sure opinions could be rendered. grin.gif

Again, wonderful tale.

I will defer to Whip, but even though he has a URAL, that dog may take him out of the Mountain Man competition.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

roadscholar

I will defer to Whip, but even though he has a URAL, that dog may take him out of the Mountain Man competition.

lmao.giflmao.gif

True. Time will tell.

BTW, Kaiser, thanks for being a great host and tourguide.

....that dog may take him out of the Mountain Man competition.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

This from a guy that wears a Leopard fur hat...

136798189-L.jpg

...& pushes women over for kicks. grin.gif

lurker.gif

Jacqueline

Thursday- Stop in town (Bishop) to do my laundry

151603877-L.jpg

151603885-L.jpg

before I continue to head north on this wonderful road…..route 395!

Really a great road for riding…..

151605026-L.jpg

151605049-L.jpg

151605060-L.jpg

151606996-L.jpg

This next picture.. lmao.gif... the blonde in me took it! lmao.gif

151607023-L.jpg

I was on my way to Yosemite thumbsup.gif, but had heard the road in was still closed. Thinking this might be the closest I get to Yosemite I wanted to take a picture of this sign. The roadway a beautiful four lane, wide shoulders; I pull off onto the nice wide shoulder to take the picture and do not trust myself to get my camera out of the tankbag and take the picture while balancing the bike on my tip toes... sounds good so far thumbsup.gif. Go to put the kickstand down and it wont go down because of the slope of the shoulder.... the blonde that I am got it down anyways thumbsup.gif. Take that picture, put the camera back in the tankbag, go to put the kickstand up...very hard to do... lean the bike to the right a little more (top heavy, did not pack everything very well after doing the laundry earlier)and OVER WE GO dopeslap.gif.

Those Jesse bags are a WONDERFUL thing!!! clap.gifclap.gif

I stepped over the bike to assest my situation and Karl pulls over to help clap.gifclap.gif.

151606985-L.jpg

Karl owns the Chevron Station in Mammoth. What a great guy. When he found I was headed to Alaska he shared some of his great stories about his trip (in a Motor-home and with bicycles..... actually had a bear chase them while they were on the bicycles eek.gif) Noticed how my bike is now parked. Karl was great and instrusted me on how to handle parking when in areas (sloops) like this. I had been been taught that when I started riding, but I will admit I had forgotten..... don't run into these situations in Florida lmao.gif.

I went to Mommoth Chevron and gased up before continuing North.

See the orange pole.... that is a marker for the snow plows crazy.gifcrazy.gif.

151607011-L.jpg

151607041-L.jpg

A front end loader for sale.... look at those tires and CHAINS thumbsup.gif

151609743-L.jpg

151609732-L.jpg

151609756-L.jpg

151609768-L.jpg

Mono Lake... 10% salt

151609802-L.jpg

A beautiful stream that I had the pleasure to ride a long for many miles.

151611130-L.jpg

151612576-L.jpg

Lake Tahoe...

151612572-L.jpg

151614439-L.jpg

I had been told about route 89 around Lake Tahoe, and I'm thankful I was. Parts of it high, high up...there is no guard rail eek.gif (I guess they don't want to ruin the view). There was even a section that it was JUST the ROAD! No shoulder, no guard rail, just two lanes high in the sky eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif.

The road is calling....... more to come

Francois_Dumas

--->>> There was even a section that it was JUST the ROAD! No shoulder, no guard rail, just two lanes high in the sky <<<----

Good training for when you decide to come to France, Jacqueline ! Most of our Alpine roads are like that !! grin.gifsmile.gif

Excellent stories and pictures again.. I can hardly keep up !! Keep them coming !! thumbsup.gif

Francois

Great photos and ride tale! Glad you're enjoying the area! Looks like I just missed being able to wave you past. (I'm on US395 due east of Lake Tahoe).

Hopefully you will be continuing on 89 north of Lake Tahoe up to SR49. West from 89 on SR49 to Grass Valley is one of the most scenic roads of the entire Sierra! Great place for lunch in Downieville. I'd go west to Grass Valley then turn around and come back to continue going north on 89.

[edit]

The section of "just road" sounds like the crest of the ridge on the south side of Emerald bay (after a series of very sharp switchbacks!) Great fun when there isn't a lot of traffic...

[/edit]

Jacqueline

Forgot one little note...

Current odometer reading: 22,874 which makes 7,164 miles since I left home on April 18th!

roadscholar
7,164 miles since I left home on April 18th!

Can we get that on a graph? grin.gif You're idea of The Long Way Across.

motorman587

Great pictures, can not wait until my trip gets going.

Did this one time on a traffic stop. Forgot to put the motor in first gear. By the time I walked up to the violator, I heard a crashing noise to my rear and I see my KZ1000 make a u-turn going backwards down a slope and flip once throwing all my gear and paperwork in the street. I look around at the violator they look at me and asks "Are you going to write me a ticket?" smirk.gif

As long as you are ok, no big deal. It just taught me to shut it off and leave it in first, stopped on a slope.

Archived