IGNORED

Hoon on the loose ..... Jacqueline heads to Alaska

Jacqueline

Tuesday morning under uncertain skies, I headed out from Charlottesville, VA a little uncertain what the day would hold and where I would end up that night. I rode towards Waynesboro. The sky had cleared and it now promised to be a good day. Once I saw the sign for the Blue Ridge Parkway my mind was made up! I was riding it! The weather was perfect, the road was clear. It was as if I had the road all to myself. Saw very few cars, and a few other bikes. For about the first fifty miles I saw evident of the storm (high winds) that passed through just a week before, a lot of trees that had been up rooted or snapped off.

The ride was what I needed; all was feeling right with the world again. I came over a ridge and it started to rain lightly and noticed it was time for lunch. I stopped at the Peaks of Otter lodge to have lunch and to put on my rain gear. I had just given the waitress my order when the Hostess sat four gentlemen at the table next to me. One of them was very jovial (Tommy) and made a comment about sitting the bikers in the back corner, when he noticed me and that I was a rider. I was asked if I’d like to join them. I did. The four of them were on a five day adventure. Two were on old Air Heads (Steve & Tom), one on a scooter (Tommy), the forth is between bikes so he was driving his Porsche with the top down (Pete). Tommy was a story teller, and a good story teller. I had to get my map so he could mark it. Roadscholar had highlighted the roads; Tommy noted places for great food, hot springs, camp grounds, and “watering holes” that all are must sees. We exchanged contact information and took pictures.

The sun was out once again so I did not have the put the rain gear on. I continued to ride south on the Parkway and now actually had a riding buddy. Tom had decided to turn around and head back, which was the direction I was going in.

I rode until the critters starting coming out. After voiding an accident with a beautiful looking deer I stopped at the first place I could find open. Most of the camp grounds and cabins don’t open until May 1st. I found a room at Stations Inn

Motorcycle Resort and More in Laurel Springs. It looks like the place really jumps during the season. But it was very, very quiet that night.

This morning I continued to ride the Parkway, had to detour off the Parkway north of Asheville for many miles. Rode to Mt. Pisgah and decided I needed to start heading west.

By 5:00pm I was fatigued from the heat and the wind (that keep blowing me around). I needed to find a nice picnic table to lie down on for a while. Found a nice concrete one, and put the pillow Rich had given me (for just the purpose) to good use. I checked in a motel this evening as the winds had me concerned and what I’m hearing on the news I made the right choice not to camp this evening. I’m concerned about what the weather may be as I continue west, as they have been having some pretty rough weather lately.

Two things today made me realize I don’t get out enough. Somewhere in NC you can buy live bait from a vending machine that looks like a soda machine. Just east of Nashville there is a bill board that was advertising a Beef Jerky Outlet. What else have I been missing out on?

Current mileage is 18,270.

146980658-Ti.jpg

146980625-Ti.jpg146980694-Ti.jpg146980848-Ti.jpg146980769-Ti.jpg146979860-Ti.jpg146979721-Ti.jpg146979652-Ti.jpg146980793-Ti.jpg146979762-Ti.jpg146980728-Ti.jpg

It was good to ride with you Friday. Your skills are way above average.

Rich, It was nice riding with you also. thumbsup.gif Thank you, I guess I have come a long way from that ride you, Dave and I took.... and I had us all laughing. I was lucky that day eek.gif.

I hope you have memorized the info in all the Alaska books I let you borrow.

Memorized eek.gif, I brought them all with me. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

sounds like you are having a good ride! I still havent done all of the Blue ridge, one of these days though I will. have you picked up a national park pass yet??

I hope you have memorized the info in all the Alaska books I let you borrow.

Memorized eek.gif, I brought them all with me. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

HMMM,

books, good to start fires, good to have if you run out of TP. lmao.gif

Louise has now taken charge of Jacqueline.......by the time I get home she should have a few drinks in her and the dogs will be sitting in her lap.

thumbsup.gif

Whip

Francois_Dumas
Louise has now taken charge of Jacqueline.......by the time I get home she should have a few drinks in her and the dogs will be sitting in her lap.

thumbsup.gif

Whip

Give her a good HUG from both of us Larry !!!! wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

Francois and Nina

Have you Texans solved Jacqueline's flat tire problems? (Her rear tire was out of air in S. Arkansas.) wave.gif

She got a new tire in Arkansas. She says the bike doesn't need anything. She's gonna stay one more night and then head to Big Bend.

I'm gonna try and figure out how to post some pix with her computer set up....whenever she wakes up lmao.giflmao.gif

Hey Francois

You can add Jacqueline to the martian list and I'll do my best with the hugs.

Whip

Have you Texans solved Jacqueline's flat tire problems? (Her rear tire was out of air in S. Arkansas.) wave.gif

She got a new tire in Arkansas. She says the bike doesn't need anything. She's gonna stay one more night and then head to Big Bend.

If it wasn't hard everyone would ride to Alaska dopeslap.gif

...and I wouldn't be only dreaming of going lmao.gif

Keep the rubber-side down Jacqueline thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I made the right choice Wednesday night in staying in a motel. The weather was bad that night. eek.gif Thursday morning I-10 was closed going East because of two bad accidents, and it created a mess for traffic. The skies still looked unfriendly, but I was hopeful and did not put my rain gear on. I did not get to far down I-10 headed west when I had to stop and put it on. I don’t mind riding in the rain usually, but that day was not a pleasant one. crazy.gif

At one of the rest areas a young couple came up to me.

148121147-L.jpg

They were in an 18 wheelers. The guy said he encountered me back in the construction area and did not want to get to close to me and cause too much turbulence. He and his wife both ride. She is just starting out and rides a 650 Kawasaki. A sweet German girl. He rides a sport bike, and was telling me about the club he is a member of. I could tell he enjoys riding. He told me one of my moto-lights was out. When I told him I knew that, I had found a broken wire and needed to get it fixed, he happily replied “if I had my tools with me, I’d fix it for you”. clap.gif I enjoyed talking with them. And before I could get back on the bike a man walking his dog asked where I was headed……. I think now that I have gotten farther from home (Florida) I am getting the attention of more people….wondering where is girl headed tongue.gif.

I apologize to anyone from Arkansas… but my trip across the state on I-10 did not leave me with a very good taste for the state. First time to the state and I did not realize it was so flat and open!!!!! And people dare talk about Florida. By the time I reached Fort Smith, Arkansas my opinion changed. It was like I was in another state. Nice rolling hills, green pastures…. And the sun had come out clap.gif. The change was so refreshing and it was only 5:30 pm Arkansas time I decided to ride some back roads clap.gif. What a beautiful area.

148121204-L.jpg

I loved watching the calves in the fields playing (I even stopped to take pictures of them, but they stopped playing when I did). I lost track of time and found myself out in the Ouachita National Forest after dark frown.gif. It reminded me of the Grand Canyon when the sun goes down….pitch black!!! Not sure where I was, or even if I had enough gas to get me back to civilization…I was upset with myself dopeslap.gif. I did happen upon a motel in the middle of no where…..and as most motels in the middle of no where, it was not the Ritz Carlton far from it. But I was just happy to be off the road.

Friday morning I woke and had plans to make my way to Whip Country by days end. Little did I know what adventure lay a head of me. I got to Wickes, Arkansas, about 50 miles from where I spent the night. Wickes, Arkansas is a wide spot in the road…. somehow I managed to pick up a piece of metal (wire, nail, something) about 8 inches long in my back tire. It went in at an angle and put a real nice hole in my tire eek.gif. All the weight on the bike it took only a minute for the tire to go flat. And in order to get the kick stand down I had to get some of the weight off the bike first. Got the kick stand down and unloaded the bike alone the side of the road, when Bill stopped to help me. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

148121287-L.jpg

A very nice man I’d say who was in his 70’s. He helped me remove the valve stem so I could get Green Slim in the tire. I had used Green Slim one other time and it worked great! But this time it was not working. Bill pointed across the road to a little shop and said that was his friend Eddy over there and he should be able to help me. Bill processed to put the tail gate of his truck down and told me to put my stuff there in the back of his truck and to be very careful when I rode the bike across the road because of the trucks speeding by.

148121365-L.jpg

Eddy was also very nice but not comfortable with taking the tire off the bike to fix it.

148121317-L.jpg

Not upset, but needing a little boost I called Roadscholar. Roadscholar was great and was ready to talk Eddy through the process of taking the tire off the bike if need be. I could tell Eddy was still not comfortable with that. Bill and Eddy were determined they were going to help me and get the tire up thumbsup.gif. They managed to put Fix-A-Flat in the tire and over inflated the tire to 44 lbs. It was holding. clap.gif The next town (De Queen) of any size was 20 miles away. Roadscholar said maybe the tire would hold for a while and that’s what we hoped for. Bill, (so sweet) gave me his phone number and said he was “going home and getting horizontal” but if I got to De Queen and still needed help to give him a call and he’d come help me. I made it to De Queen and stopped at stop light and the tire immediately went flat again eek.gif. I was at a gas station and tried to put air in the tire but no luck confused.gif.

147995550-L.jpg Made another call to Roadscholar, and I explained the situation…. Within 10 mins. my phone was ringing and it was Freddy from the muffler shop in De Queen. He had received a call from Roadscholar clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif who had explained my situation and Freddy felt certain he could help me. He said he did not have a tube, but he would try to repair the tube and if need be there was a gentleman in town that had an F650GS and they’d take the tube out of his tire.

20 mins later Freddy pulls up in a pickup and pulls out a ramp. With a little help from four gentlemen in the parking lot my bike is loaded in the back of Freddy’s truck. clap.gif

147995621-L.jpg

But before we go back to his shop we stop at a restaurant in town to meet his wife and her twin sister for lunch. Freddy was ready to send me to Texarkana (an hour away) on his 1200GS????? eek.gifeek.gif Lucky his sister-in-law says her husband is in Hot Springs and may be able to pick a tube up on his way back. Luck was with me; he got a tube and was at the shop two hours later thumbsup.gif. While Freddy fixed the tire, thumbsup.gif

147995758-L.jpg

Mike (his brother-in-law) fixed my moto-light thumbsup.gif.

147995739-L.jpg

It was a pleasure to spend a day in Arkansas with such nice people… easy going, relaxed, enjoyable, helpful, people.

Got on the bike at about 6:30 pm and headed to Texas……

147995809-L.jpg

Everything is in bloom in Texas…. What a sweet smell….

147995818-L.jpg

Like honeysuckle. Friday night I made my camp for the night at Lake Bob Sandin State Park.

147995864-L.jpg

More to come….. More great people Whip and Mrs. Whip… clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif.

Francois_Dumas

Excellent tale and WONDERFUL people...... such things help to restore my faith in the human race to some extent .... wink.gif

Good to see you managed to get PHOTOS up now !! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Wishing you a great ride up north.. keep them stories coming, Jacqueline !! clap.gifclap.gif

Francois

Nice tale! Nice to know you ran into some nice people in a time of trouble. One question, is that a heated sleeping pad in the tent? I noticed the power cord, lol.

One question, is that a heated sleeping pad in the tent? I noticed the power cord, lol.

Yes, you see a power grin.gif, no heated sleeping pad. I have a neat light that hangs nicely at the top of the tent. I'm able to lay in there and read without the bugs eating me up. thumbsup.gif

Paul_Burkett

Great ride tale and pics, don't forget to get some pictures taken with you in them, it will mean much more when you look back on the trip.

Jacqueline,

Great attitude, it will serve you well. People who can help seem to find you when you keep a positive attitude.

A camping note. You need to keep your ground cloth under the tent with no overhang outside the edge of the tent. If it rains, water should run down the tent to the ground.

If your ground cloth sticks out, the water will collect and run under the tent.

147995864-L.jpg

wave.gif

Go-J-GO clap.gifclap.gif

Thanks for the up dates.

Its nice to others willing to lend a hand.

Thanks Larry for the image posting help thumbsup.gif

Sat. morning I pack up my things and headed south via I-35. The day was very sunny and warm as I rode down I-35.

By 5:00 pm I arrived at the pickup point and called Whip. Mrs. Whip (Louise) was there in a matter of minutes to greet me and led me to their home, where I was warmly welcomed not only by Whip and Mrs. Whip but also by Rusty, Rita, Rhoda, J, and Tiffany.

WOW, what wonderful, warm people. They both have hearts as big as Texas and made me feel right at home. That evening Louise prepared a delious meal and

Sunday morning after church Louise took me to downtown San Antonio for a tour of the fantastic city. It’s a shame that Larry has to work in such a place… grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif.

148239388-L.jpg

148239492-L.jpg

148239468-L.jpg

148239584-L.jpg

148239752-L.jpg

Louise and I met Larry for lunch at a lovely Italian Restaurant.

148239952-L.jpg

148239973-L.jpg

148239993-L.jpg

Then we were off to the Alamo. WOW.

148239307-L.jpg

148240032-L.jpg

148240090-L.jpg

After a great tour of San Antonio and a wonderful lunch we headed back to the Whip Ranch for lessons on posting pictures. Whip is a good teacher. Working with some of his photo during the learning process I also now have some ideas on how to take some nice looking pictures.

That evening we went to one of Larry and Louise’s favorite restaurants for dinner, the Grey Moss Inn in Helotes. The drive there was very scenic and I have never seen so many deer in such a short period of time. I could see right away why they like it so much. Great location, wonderful atmosphere, fantastic food,

148240135-L.jpg

and warm friendly serve. The server was a doll. She was so sweet and has been taking care of Larry and Louise for years.

148240124-L.jpg

For my ride tale she choose to change her name (to protect the innocent) so here is a picture of Monica. She also wanted to be sure I knew that she doesn’t own a “Blue Dress”… blush.gif.but she has a purple one grin.gif.

My time here with Whip and Mrs. Whip has been nothing but wonderful. They are super great people. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif I truly hope one day I will have the opportunity to return the hospitality and I’m looking forward to seeing them in Alaska this summer thumbsup.gif.

I’m waiting for a storm to pass through so I can head out to Big Bend!

Firefight911
148239973-L.jpg

Does anyone else notice something odd about this picture?????????????

Whip/Louise are you hiding something??? Hmmmmmmmm??? And don't try and tell us that this is what you carry Rusty around in either!!!!!!!!

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Larry and Lousie, sittin' in a tree

K I S S I N G

First comes love, then comes marriage

Then comes a baby in a baby carriage!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I claim insanity!!! Still recovering from 9 straight days at work!! wave.gifwave.gif

Francois_Dumas

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

I must admit I too was trying to make out what sort of motor luggage was on that chair...... lmao.giflmao.gif

Francois_Dumas

THAT was LUNCH ??? And then you went on to have DINNER as well after that !!?? Wowsers !

And NO, I am NOT going to ask about the Blue Dress..... cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif (I leave that for one of the other 'regulars' here..... tongue.gif ).

Francois,

The "Blue Dress" and "Monica" together = Bill Clinton & Monica Lewinsky and "I did not have sex with that woman".

Monica kept the Blue Dress and DNA test established that the "contribution" of male gentetic DNA material, was, in fact, from Slick Willy himself, former President CLinton.

eek.giftongue.gif

wave.gif

Tim

roadscholar

Jacqueline, Glad to see you made it to Whip's, he said he'd take good care of you, and he and Louise obviously are. Great story so far, beginning to look like a real adventure. I knew we were a little lucky finding Freddy back in Arkansas, particularly when he said, "my customer with the F650 doesn't know it yet but we can take the tube off his bike". Small towns are one of the best things about America.

I'm glad you called and don't hesitate to do it again. Just try not to make the adventure too exciting. grin.gif

Francois, While researching moto shops (there was only one) in DeQueen, Ark., I learned that a Dutchman, Jan DeQuoin, provided the necessary financing for Arthur Stilwell to finish his railroad from Kansas City to The Gulf of Mexico in the early 1900s when it came to a halt near DeQueen. The locals named the town after him and gave it the English spelling. You might say we, like Mr. Stilwell did, "have some friends in low places". grin.gif

Oh, and the newspaper there calls itself DeQueen Bee. smirk.gif

Jacqueline

I spent Monday with Louise and Larry again.

Louise took me to Luckenbach, Texas population 3. What a neat town.

148557536-L.jpg

148557483-L.jpg

148557522-L.jpg

148557469-L.jpg

On the way to the Wildseed Farms, we went pass pastures with goats in them. We saw several that had twins ….. So cute!

148557415-L.jpg

I’d be in big trouble if I lived close to the Weedseed Farms. I love places like this.

148557447-L.jpg

148557430-L.jpg

148557459-L.jpg

After riding 4k miles since I left Florida, it was easy to realize that I might enjoy an XM Radio. Larry was GREAT!!!! We went to Best Buy and he showed me which one would work best for me. Then Larry did a great job installing it on my bike (even removing parts from his bike to use on mine).

Did I say how wonderful Larry and Louise are??? clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Glad the weather was better for than when I was there a few weeks ago. tongue.gif

As to Whip parting out his bikes, first he gives me the pegs off his GSA, & now he's tearing apart the Feejer. If he keeps this up, he won't have anything to ride to Torrey. lmao.gif

Oh, wiat. The GSA isn't his anymore.

Whip, you'd better hurry with those other parts I asked you about before Phil catches on. lmao.giflmao.gif

ESokoloff
Waylon Jennings wrote a song about Luckenbach.

I didn't realise it was so small.

Actually it was a big hit for Waylon thumbsup.gif

Oh....... you meant the town tongue.gif

Jacqueline

I’m writing this now (Tue. night at 9:00pm) as I sit in the dark at my camp in Big Bend National Park. The computer is all charged so I can write this now and send it when I can internet access. I don’t even have a phone signal here.

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! One day is so different from the day before, but all have been WOW days (with the one being a sad wow).

This morning I left Whip, Mrs. Whip, Rhonda, Rusty, Rita, J, and Tiffany. I am so thankful for people and dogs like them.

149075596-L.jpg

I rode some of the Texas Hill Country and was in awe of all its natural beauty.

149075853-L.jpg

149075586-L.jpg

149075606-L.jpg

149075769-L.jpg

149075795-L.jpg

149075811-L.jpg

149075832-L.jpg

When I arrived in Uvalde I met Alan Valdez and Rolando Marquez, two bikers from the Halcon Motoclub out of Mexico. They were over the boarder to promote their Bike Fest. Wish I could attend all the bike Rallies and Fests I being invited to….but there is no where. But if any of you are interested the Bike Fest Intertnacional is just over the boarder in Piedras Negras, Coahuila Mexico; May 11, 12, and 13.

149075888-L.jpg

Alan and Rolando where very nice.

I am so glad Whip and Mrs. Whip told me I would encounter check points by the Boarder Patrol on my way to Big Bend. The first one before Del Rio they waved me right through. Once I got to Del Rio I was so hot and needed some water, I saw a sign for a Dairy Queen. I thought great I’ll get some cold water and a small ice cream to cool me off. I was so intent on finding the Dairy Queen I forgot what Whip and Mrs. Whip told me about needing to a make a turn or I’d end up across the boarder. I was right there at boarder and made a fast U-turn. Never did find the Dairy Queen.

After Del Rio I came to another check point. This time I stopped. The Boarder Patrol asked where I was headed. I responded to Big Bend National Park. He then asked “by yourself or is someone behind you a distance”. I responded, “by myself”. His response…very serious was “WHAT THE HELL!”

Made it to Big Bend before dark,

149075950-L.jpg

they take the bear seriously here.

149076178-L.jpg

They have these big bear proof lockers to put everything in.

149076070-L.jpg

I’m hoping I took everything off the bike a bear might want. Me I’m sleeping with a whistle around my neck, a small air horn at my side, and a hammer (yes, a hammer) under my pillow. There are also mountain lions, and I was told last night they had a problem with some wild bores. Should be a fun night.

Great pix....Tiffany really likes them.....Rita's not impressed...Rhoda wants me to save them till later after she's through checking the yard.....Jay wants to know if he can eat the flowers and Rusty(Moo) is ready for bed.

Louise and I really like em and look forward to seein more ASAP.

Whip

Jacqueline

Woke up in my tent….and found everything to be okay!

149076034-L.jpg

The sun coming up over the mountains in Big Bend is simply beautiful.

149076160-L.jpg

I met some very nice people at the campground. I also had a nice conversation with the Operations Manager at the Chisos Mountain Lodge. He actually lives in Big Bend National Park. Nice job!

149076119-L.jpg

149076203-L.jpg

149076230-L.jpg

Rode 170! What a GREAT road. It was like riding a roller coaster! If you go fast enough over some of the rises you can feel your stomach go up into your throat! Not only was it a great rode, but I had it pretty much to myself!

When I arrived at Van Horn I attempted to find internet access…. With no luck…. But it was good that I stopped. All the help in the hotel (where I stopped) were glued to the TV in the lobby watching the storm (tornadoes) that was headed their way from El Paso….just where I was headed. The workers in the hotel were very nice and didn’t mean if I joined them and stay as long as I wanted. I waited there for two hours for the storm to move north and out of my path.

I headed west on I-10 with the weather still a little iffy. Had to list the bike to the right for many, many miles to keep it on the road and going straight. I’m now in New Mexico…. Current odometer reading 20,383 (going to need an oil change soon), and I’ve changed two time zones.

I’m off to Phoenix, Arizona in the morning

Highway41

Great pictures. Hope you missed the hail storm in El Paso I saw on the news last night. If not, at least you have the right bike for it!

Good luck and ride safe. Bill

Dan,

You're right.

But maybe someone can loan her a map.

Alaska is thataway.

theywent.gif

Jacqueline

What do you mean????

From my house in FL to Anchorage, AK it's 4,762 miles.

As of yesterday I have ridden 4,673 miles..... that means I have 89 more miles to go before I'm in Anchorage grin.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Everyone kept saying it would still be to cold up there. blush.gif I will be in Alaska 3 weeks from today thumbsup.gif

Francois_Dumas

Still 3 weeks away from Alaska and a Classic Tale alread !!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifsmile.gif

Francois

bakerzdosen

Yeah, that is pretty cool.

I tried embedding the image in this post, but yeah, it doesn't work.

The Star-trax thing seems pretty cool though.

Archived