IGNORED

Hoon on the loose ..... Jacqueline heads to Alaska

Jacqueline

I could not pass through Virginia without stopping in Culpeper to meet Gwen;

201163561-L.jpg

Gwen is a remarkable person thumbsup.gif. I learned about Gwen back in March while planning my trip. I had made my plans known on Adventure Rider for my up coming trip to Alaska. Someone on Adventure Rider told me I needed to read Shoganai’s (aka Gwen) ride tale. A single female who rode her BMW from her home in Virginia to Alaska clap.gif. What a ride she had and she had a bike that gave her plenty of challenges eek.gif. Many people say she and I have the same eye for taking pictures.

While on my adventure I did not have much, if any time to read much on BMW Sport Touring or Adventure Rider. So when I called Gwen to say I was in the state and wanted to stop by and meet her, I was shocked to learn she had (on 8/31, less then two weeks before) been involved in a crash in Tucson, AZ bncry.gif. Broken clavicle and broken back. (If you look at the picture, you can see the brace she is wearing and I could tell she was in pain that day eek.gif). Gwen was just completing a 100ccc to raise money for the Special Wish Foundation…… what a lady clap.gif! She raised over 12k for the charity clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif.

She and I had a nice visit that morning. She is thankful to be alive and to be walking. She credits both with the fact she was wearing ATGATT thumbsup.gif. I was so glad to meet her, and I was surprised to see that she is not much taller than I.

This is the link to the story of the fund raiser and her accident.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245494&highlight=Shoganai

Wishing you a speedy recovery Gwen.

After my visit with Gwen I was off to Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park…. Tom I got the stamp!

201236236-L.jpg

What a perfect day for a ride. The sun was out and the temperature couldn't have been better! Traffic was light.

201242629-L.jpg

I never get tired of these tunnels. They are magnificent.

201243846-L.jpg

201244028-L.jpg

201245190-L.jpg

201245456-L.jpg I am in awe of scenery like these. Natural, simple, soild (the rock), soft (the plants), parts changing almost daily (the plants), parts changing so slowly that one can barely notice (the rock)...

Views of the Appalachian Mountains....

201245767-L.jpg

201246155-L.jpg

Iron Mike.... now that's a hard body! grin.gif

201246391-L.jpg201246623-L.jpg

Not far from Iron Mike was this little bee with his pollen sacks full. I could sit for hours and watch these wonderful insects work.

201169664-L.jpg

201225743-L.jpg

201247649-L.jpg

This butterfly caught my eye and I had to stop and take its picture…

201225471-L.jpg

I was in heaven as I stepped down into a field of flowers and butterflies.

201226418-L.jpg

It wasn’t until the next day that I learned this butterfly is a Tiger Swallowtail; Virginia’s State insect. Butterflies were originally known by the name “Flutterby” which describes how they fly.

201227867-L.jpg

201228683-L.jpg

201229067-L.jpg

201234882-L.jpg

201175634-L.jpg

This was a great day and I tried to soak it all in and savor it. My adventure would soon come to an end and the real world would find it's way back in..... it was already nipping at my heels.

If I recall Rich D. did offer me $500.00 for it when I got back.

Why, that's just an insult!

I'll give you $450. grin.gif

This is still great, Jacqueline.

Don't let the world catch up with you before it's over.

Remember, you're still on your schedule.

My last morning in Charlottesville; I had already said my good-byes to Ron and Liz and they had gone off to work. That morning as I loaded my bike I looked over and saw I had an audience clap.gif. Buddy (the golden retriever) and Smudge (the cat) had let themselves out thumbsup.gif of house and were sitting on the front step watching me. I just thought the two of them were beautiful sitting there. Animals are wonderful.

201163905-L.jpg

When I arrived, Buddy had not be feeling well and Liz had him on some medication the Vet had prescribe. After I left Virginia, Buddy became worst and there were several more trips to Vets, which revealed cancer bncry.gifbncry.gif. Buddy passed away on Sept. 24. bncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gif My sympathy goes out to both of them. Especially Liz as I know she is hurting deeply now, Buddy had been Liz’s faithful companion for many years. And I know Buddy had a special place in Ron’s heart also.

...... Buddy passed away on Sept. 24. bncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gif My sympathy goes out to both of them. Especially Liz as I know she is hurting deeply now, Buddy had been Liz’s faithful companion for many years. And I know Buddy had a special place in Ron’s heart also.

Sad to hear that. Anyone who knows me knows how much I like dogs; I know how much that hurts! bncry.gif

Wonderful photos and story of a wonderful trip, Jacqueline!

I left Virginia and headed to Myrtle Beach, SC,

201551447-L.jpg

where I visited with family. I could not go to Myrtle Beach without a visit to the beach. thumbsup.gif

The water and the sky were both a little rough but it seemed so fitting that evening.

It was truly beautiful

201552229-L.jpg

201554105-L.jpg

While I walked on the beach so many emotions and feelings stirred inside of me,

my three young nephews dug in the sand,

201553618-L.jpg

my brother and sister-in-law looked for sharks teeth and other treasures on the beach,

201552862-L.jpg

and I enjoyed memories of my Mother. It has now been seventeen years since she passed away and I had gone out on a catamaran with a couple of my brothers and sisters from this beach to place her ashes in the Atlantic Ocean. This was the place that gave her inter-peace.

After spending a few days in Myrtle Beach it was off to Georgia…. And the Florida boarder…..

201550902-L.jpg

Cotton Field

203572895-L.jpg

203573626-L.jpg

Pecan Grove

I rode from Thomasville, GA and I crossed back over into Florida in Tallahassee, the State Capital.

203573982-L.jpg

Tallahassee is a beautiful part of Florida, with its many canopy roads and history. America’s largest concentration of original plantations; 300,000 acres, 71 plantations, exists between Tallahassee and Thomasville, Georgia.

Once in Tallahassee I was greeted my Motorman587 (John P.) and some of Tallahassee’s fine men and women of law enforcement. What a wonderful welcome back …..

203577886-L.jpg

203576287-L.jpg

203576665-L.jpg

Thank you John… clap.gif.

After a short visit with Dusty...Owner of Miller BMW, I headed south/east towards DeLand........... crazy.gifbncry.gifclap.gifbncry.gifsmile.gif

bncry.gif

Francois_Dumas

Welcome back !!

Now THAT would be fun, meeting some of the 'motor cops' of this board !! (in a pleasant way, I mean, not on the other end of a laser gun of course grin.gifgrin.gif .... not that we will speed, mind you, we have Germany for that wink.gif ).

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Welcome home Jacqueline,

Was great meeting you at the UNRally. Hopefully will see

you in Nov when Francois stops by. You should have your

pictures sorted by then.

What a great adventure. I commend your courage, and your great spirit.

You are an inspiration to all of us.

When it is all settled out I would value reading your after- action thoughts. Thoughts about the doing of it, the impressions, the feelings, the emotions.

How do you feel now? Is it hard to be home? To do what ever you are doing or is the road calling again? Do you find your thoughts taking you back to Alaska?

What about the bike? Was it the right choice? If you had it to over again.... what?

Envious Bob....

Thank you... all

Yes, I will do a re-cap and put my thoughts down. I will admit that the first few days home were ROUGH crazy.gif....

Focusing now on the upcoming visit from Francois and Nina clap.gif truly helps.

I wanna novel. Get with Killer and put together a coffee table book of pictures and tales.

Bill

PayPal standing by! clap.gif

They would make GREAT Christmas presents, too! grin.gifwave.gif

I wanna novel. Get with Killer and put together a coffee table book of pictures and tales.

Bill

PayPal standing by! clap.gif

They would make GREAT Christmas presents, too! grin.gifwave.gif

HOON ON THE LOOSE,What a great name for a book,Ill take 3 copys thumbsup.gif

Jacqueline it is really a sad time right now knowing "this" adventure is over. Your postings both in words and photographs have and should be an inspiration to us all. Be proud of your accomplishments and hold dear the people and experiences you have been so blessed to have had.

We are all proud of you if not just a tad envious of your accomplishments.

"It is not the test...It is the knowledge of the accomplishment...that fills my heart with joy"

Can't wait to see you maybe this Sunday at BMWNEF.

Have you ever been to South America?

Naaa, How about coast to coast across Canada, far north?

I went coast to coast once, from Melbourne to Clearwater...

"... courage, inspiration ..." pretty strong words, and without question completely deserving!!!

Can't wait to see whatever you come up with for a "recap," Jacqueline. If it is even HALF of what you've already given us in your trip reports and photos, it will be absolutely mesmerizing.

Thanks again for your courage and inspiration!

• 11 months later...
Love those pix.....

I'm putting someone(Phillyflash) on notice.....if this isn't a "Ride Tale That Lasts"......we gonna have problems in Torrey.

Whip

I couldn't help myself! A YEAR goes by and NOTHING?

Love those pix.....

I'm putting someone(Phillyflash) on notice.....if this isn't a "Ride Tale That Lasts"......we gonna have problems in Torrey.

Whip

I couldn't help myself! A YEAR goes by and NOTHING?

You trying to start an uprising? IN

:grin:

Jan

We can't blame Philly any longer, but there is this "dislocated member" that we may still have some influence over??????????

...but then again.

:lurk:

If my vote counts for anything....I vote for this as being the best LD Ride Tale on this site.

Hi Richard, you're looking as lovely as ever today.

Just looooove what you've done with your hair. :grin:

• 3 weeks later...

Ohhhhhhhhhh Matt...........

I'm just sayin'...................

(Ride tales that last...)

Uh, I'm more of a tech admin. You know, keepin' the server running and all.

You start flyin' them planes Richard and I'll start handing out nicknames (well, other than Russell's,) breaking up political fights and such.

Wait a minute... Jacqueline went to ALASKA? Wow. Who knew?

She really ought to let people know about that. :)

Archived