IGNORED

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey on the road...

beemerchef

349640646_C2rAR-L.jpg

Will this makes us Texans and Big Benders???

In a month or so from now we will be camping on “The Oasis of my Soul”… You will have to read the Blog to find out how all this has come about. It will be our winter own slice of Heaven, 25 miles north of Big Bend on some away from the road 10 acres of pristine land made of hard limestone with an all weather accessible road. It will be yours also to be shared for anyone wanting to camp or a comfy bed, good food and conversations around a campfire. It will be another facet of the Journey with much emphasize on developing some Photographic skills to try to make something out of it… amongst thousands of other great Photographers!… Hand in hand with the Blog with much more riding throughout the country the rest of the year, these thoughts and dreams becoming reality have me going with renewed energy. Hope to see you there sometime experiencing as we have done in the past and will in the near future the astonishing vast open spaces of the Big Bend area.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

...it is all on SmugMug now.

www.theoasisofmysoul.com our website and Blog

Edited by beemerchef

Hey, that's great Ara!

Glad you've found a home (even if it doesn't have a house on it yet)! We'll try to drop in some time.

Jan

"No gates and no fences"... anytime... the floor is of limestone and the roof is of stars... looking forward.

351659937_iQ9Ud-L.jpg

The intimate Devil’s Garden… Escalante/Utah

If you like to play amongst the Hoodos and the Goblins this is your playground! A nice washboard road to get there, early morning will make you the star witness of the change of colors on those free standing weathered by time rock structures. Hiking the easy loop over and over is like every time hiking it for the first time as the sun rising is constantly changing the scenes on this stage empty of visitors. We were lucky with the weather that day, a weather a bit crazy mixed with unpredictable rains and sunshine constantly switching with no warnings.

We are headed south tomorrow morning, its time and as every space we get attached to, it is with regrets and excitement all at the same time. This is one area we will return to fill in the blanks, I hope, in the meantime the thrill of seeing Zion is ahead of us and the golden key awaits for us in Big Bend.

The Hoodos and the Goblins! Some pretty cool characters

Be well… Ara & Spirit

353353870_hXUAR-L.jpg

It is 108 degrees in Zion, Utah.

As if the coin has flipped, all changed when arriving here in Zion. From a couple cars a day to mega shuttles trailering other shuttles and a lack of parking spaces within miles, from just a few hikers and intimate conversations to an exodus of tourists stomping the grounds with a thousand feet, from the crisp cool air of Escalante to an over bearing and weight heavy immobile hot air… All this has thrown me off only making me think how can I escape it all. I can’t. Just a phase we have to go through needing to eventually go to St George next week or so, visits that need to be done before diving back into the Texas deserts soon again. Eye exam, dentist, clothing and who knows what else!

I had a few photos left from Devil’s Garden that are now up on the Blog , a couple comments from readers that I wanted to post and overall just trying to keep it together and not be overwhelmed by these sudden changes!

As they say, all things must pass… this will too… They are a couple out of the way areas we will spend some time at.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

355112280_5gtug-L.jpg

Some World Wide Traveler Friends… Zion, Utah.

Finally after months of e mails with Alain and his wife Chris, we met in Zion! That is just how it goes. Planning on the road does not work very well and is an accepted fact among us. We actually meet more Travelers we had not planned to than if we did. They are from the south of France, near by where I was born and I can still remember having his accent! I cannot describe it… it is too unique. 4 months of the road now in the USA, on their way to Mexico, South America and finally Asia. They only have two years, as we do they would like to spend more time in one place, but two years is such a short time for their route.

We parted this morning, we have a standing invitation in the South of France… I hope some day I can manage to take Spirit to Europe maybe.

We ourselves are now north of St George and will start some rides with my Friend Michael and also that “good stuff” such as eye exam and Dr’s in the big City.

Enjoy the Blog … and be well.

Ara & Spirit

356722515_6RGsy-L.jpg

A loop North of St George, Utah

We keep on rolling in Utah. It just does not end! We are settled I have to admit pretty comfortably at my Friends house, Michael and Sandra, while doing some errands in St George before headed south in a couple of weeks.

We have been here before, this is like the yearly “get it all back together” stop. I thought we had seen it all last year, had ridden all the roads, but Michael has of course many more destinations up his sleeve. I think he only divulge his secret destinations in small dosage!

From “Mountain Meadows” to “Lion’s mouth” to Cedar City and back here also riding “Kolob Canyon” Rd, it was a fine ride, as good as they get.

Much thoughts about Texas, just thinking without any concrete decisions as how we are going to live down there on a land with no power, water, septic… and a real tight budget! Almost a challenge which should be in itself and interesting feat.

Enjoy the ride … we sure did.

Be well, Ara & Spirit

357507956_f6T9K-L-2.jpg

More Friends and a “Dammeron” loop, Utah

One more time we met up with a couple readers, from Logan this time, on their own escapade following our footsteps, or maybe vice versa!

Paul and Mariko, members of the “Expedition Portal” Forum, a Forum filled with adventure reports from all over the World and much information on how to survive the vast empty lands, some very cool vehicles also.

A ride to Pine Valley and its forest, luscious greens and creeks. It was then on to another loop west of 18 this time through Gunlock Rd and back a dirt road through some BLM land we had camped on last year passing a couple reservoirs.

There is no lack of riding around here, after all, we are still in Utah!

We are preparing ourselves for the road to Toroweap, 90 miles into some of the most isolated part of the country overlooking the Grand Canyon. Tomorrow will be doing Joshua Rd loop and another attraction near by. Eventually we will rest!

More pictures on the Blog

Be well, Ara & Spirit

359664550_Wb2ZM-L.jpg

Golden Butte Rd and Whitney Pocket. Nevada.

I sure hope that you all dual sport riders from Nevada or near by have ridden the loop to the ancient town of Golden Butte and stopped as we did at Whitney Pocket, also admiring the Art work 2 miles off the main road… to the right.

Out of nowhere as usual, totally off the beaten path considering we did not see a soul all day, lays one of, now, my favorite destination. Moss, caves, multi color rocks, sandstone, portals, petroglyphs, narrow trails… It was a quick scouting day trip and we have reservations for early next year in a bit of cooler weather.

Mojave went up to 107 degrees and felt on the way back as riding through a furnace. Spirit did really good with his cover on and his soft bowl of water always in front of him. He is definitely a tough guy now! Of course he will never pass up a chance to lay in the shade!

I could not fit all the photos in one Blog , so this will be part one of two…

Be well… Always. Ara & Spirit

360653530_HsEaP-L.jpg

A bit more of Artwork, Nevada

This last day trip has obviously left an impression within me and rekindled some expressions of my mind and much thought about this Journey. Every step was a picture opportunity, so many shapes and colors within the sandstone, it was an endless array of beauty mixed with the spiritual presence of the Ancients.

Choosing the right time for such excursion is becoming more and more important. With temperatures peaking at 107 degrees such adventure would have been more enjoyable later on the year and my future planning will need to be a bit smarter!

We are getting ready for Toroweap, we are leaving tomorrow early morning and hoping to spend a couple nights within one of the most isolated area of this country overlooking the Grand Canyon. I am excited about it.

The errands continue, almost done as our southern destination awaits us. More surprises I am sure!

Enjoy the photos … there are many today.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

363725480_xgR9n-L.jpg

Adventures in Toroweap, Arizona

180 miles of deserted and isolated roads can turn into an adventure following a couple mechanical failures and close to two inches of rain resulting with some nice wet and sticky “calachi”. A new word I will not forget it’s spelling very soon.

But it was some fun days, some spend in the tent reading and eating. Preparedness has always been the key in my traveling and it paid off big time. We actually arrived back last night with water and food left, mainly also because of a couple four wheelers including the Ranger stopping by to make sure we were alright.

Spirit is my Hero, more than ever the bond has just heightened another step. Moving right along with never a complain, only love and affection throughout those a bit rough couple days.

Toroweap is a must to experience and hard to describe its grandeur, its breathtaking depth, a true test of heights.

Tired but satisfied, some of the Journey is on the Blog , part I that is as there is more to come!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

365173329_wP977-L.jpg

Camping on the road to Toroweap, Arizona

Sometimes a couple sticks in the spokes, such as a broken bolt, a few tire punctures at the end of a 90 mile isolated road might not be the best scenario. Technically is was not, but always ready for the worse, with 2 inches of rain turning the road into an impassable one the adventure was great while camping on the shoulder waiting for it all to pass.

Kind of wish actually I would have still been back there, peaceful and quiet setting, much food and water, even some exploring after the deluge waiting for the road to dry.

And it did as also the decision to leave came upon us for a great ride back

Would definitely do it again, it was all good.

More pictures and the story on the Blog .

Be well… Ara & Spirit

366055169_3vNvK-L.jpg

Out of Toroweap’s mud, back on the road. AZ.

I cannot help wishing we were still stranded. Strange maybe but the space given to us those couple of days were such a serene space one can only travel far to find. The ride back was one of the best we had including a great sunset with of course many stops to take it all in.

Where do we go from here? Texas soon, kind of strange knowing that we are actually going to leave Utah very soon with yet so many destinations unseen. There will be I hope next year when we come back choosing our weather patterns a bit smarter.

It has been great visiting Michael and Sandra, giving me the ability to leave Spirit behind at times when needing to run errands, the annual ordeals to go through!

I think a Lifetime would not be enough to see Utah… I actually have met Rangers being here 20 years in quest of new destinations and they have yet to close in on the list.

Our exit from Toroweap with more photos is on the http://theoasisofmysoul.com/ by now…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

368519941_BjDi2-L.jpg

A Sister and a Brother, Utah.

As a loaded spring box through a mutual Friend of now ours, my Sister Sarine and I met for the first time a couple days ago. 36 years have passed since her birth and I cannot hide the fact that those moments have been emotional. “Good emotional” as the bond, first through e mails, and now in real time, has been instantaneous, filled with great conversations and more notes comparing than one can imagine.

Truly a Life changing experience as in a few months we will stop in Los Angeles to meet the rest of the Family, many I have met earlier with the years passing by however changing us, physically as I saw from the pictures shown and I am sure mentally maturing.

A city girl Sister… a vast empty space Brother… but the connection was above it all, hard to describe the invisible bond that has taken place. I am sure some of you having a sister or a brother will understand. It has open a new door to a new path. “It’s all Good”.

You can meet her on the Blog !

Be well… Ara & Spirit

369797835_w7crX-L-1.jpg

I will miss Utah…

Of course I say that from everywhere we leave! We will be taking our time, bypass Phoenix and Tucson, take the route through Flagstaff and Albuquerque. Painted Desert, Petrified Forest might be the sources of great riding and some Photography. Spirit and I are always ready for new adventures and Texas is still a bit hot.

We checked out the reservoirs near Enterprise yesterday, with barely a few feet of water I am wondering if we are taking Global Warming’s subject a bit too lightly. It was then on to Santa Clara, a suburb of St George to hike the easy “Tava’atsi” trail and find some Petroglyphs which we did. With the Santa Clara river on the other side of the cliffs it was a natural habitat for the Ancients and discovered that it will be soon an “unnatural” habitat for the “present and locals” within a new development only a few feet away called… “The Bellagio”. Progress right?

Some thoughts early morning, for some reason I enjoy writing in the early hours when the World around us is still asleep.

You be well… always. Ara & Spirit.

371137570_JUwqA-L.jpg

Las Vegas, Nevada…

First we went south west, made a u turn, then we went south east! Been thinking about it for over a year now to spend a couple night in Las Vegas and let the camera witness the neon lights and human waves.

The picture taking has been a challenge and so has been the crowds. The uneasy part was leaving Spirit behind for a few hours as I will again do tonight… with a bag and camera in hand he did not quite understand why this time he was not going.

I know I will look back at this one day and be glad that I did, this is not like any other destination we are used to, it is however good for the soul, it shows me another side of the coin I could spend my Life living within.

Tomorrow we will be in Kingman for a couple days to visit my Friends Anjie and Mark… I am planning to be busy in their kitchen! We all need some real food sometimes.

Vegas at night… on the Blog , bigger and brighter than ever.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Tomorrow we will be in Kingman for a couple days to visit my Friends Anjie and Mark… I am planning to be busy in their kitchen! We all need some real food sometimes.

IN

Just kidding, enjoy the cooking.

I wish you did... always welcome!

373065729_44UWj-L.jpg

One more night in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Adventuring myself a bit further this time on the Strip, truly having a good time filling up my camera’s memory card. On a Saturday night the glitter, human waves and traffic was at its peak and people watching just does not get any better.

How about meeting a buddy of Spirit?

Ludwig above has also the good Life being driven around by his own chauffeur as Spirit does… Where did I go wrong? Some day I want to be just like him!

So we are in Kingman right now visiting some great Friends and cooking a nice dinner. Tonight will be taking a “photography” lesson from a Forum member that also lives in Kingman. I have been trying to learn how to shoot in RAW, he replied to my thread, he happens to live here… we cannot pass up the opportunity. What luck!

More of Vegas on the Blog .

Be well… Ara & Spirit

374863433_fFnfH-L.jpg

Kingman, AZ.

Great few days in Kingman, really relaxing and not doing much besides cooking a nice dinner for Mark, Anjie and Family. Also learning how to shoot in RAW format with the help of a reader, rider, photographer that happened to answer my question on some color problems and lives in Kingman himself. Small world! It just does not get any better.

We are near Tucson now, there is a bit of “I miss Utah…” in my mind mixed with the “looking forward” to this piece of land in Texas near Big Bend and hopefully getting a bit of work cooking to help the thinning wallet from these two years on the road.

Riding Texas… cooking… building a structure… some small trips planned with cooperating weather… it is going to be a busy winter. I like busy!

More on the Blog

Be well, Ara & Spirit

376317176_TbG5q-L.jpg

The last leg of it before arriving to Texas, near Big Bend, where we will set up shelter, work on getting some water and who knows what else…

Familiar route it was through the Chiricahua Mountains, stopping at the “Southwestern Research Center” where I use to work for a short time, then on to Portal, through Douglas, Bisbee, Tombstone, Benson and finally closing the loop back in Wilcox.

I felt a bit as doing 16 countries in 12 days, one of those days, however a much needed ride to clear up the mind and tire the body a bit.

Spirit had never been there, always confident on my choices I was wondering if the smells of years back made any kind of impression on him!

Tomorrow is Sunday and I figured a good day to go through El Paso, normally with much traffic it should be then quiet.

More on the Blog

Be well… Ara & Spirit

297150925_vQnTy-M-2.jpg

Almost there, Texas that is!

Today is the first day of fall, summer is already behind us and time’s traction in my Life seemingly is spinning its wheels faster and faster. It has been quite a summer and so fortunate to have the so many photos I can go back to and reminisce of the days past or close my eyes and travel in time reliving the past senses that have filled me over and over. And now, just a few miles from Texas, this friendly State that has always been so good to us, there is excitement within me as we will walk on this land of ours a bit later for the first time. Its symbol, its presence, its space already felt has filled this morning with some unprecedented excitement, a new “feel good”…

The last ride taken through Tombstone and Bisbee was of a colorful one, but it brought back some shaded memories of recent years past, memories maybe I did not need to relive again. But it is all behind now, the skies are blue, the road is well paved ahead, it is a special day for the both of us…

More on the Blog

Be well, always. Ara & Spirit

381019801_X6dUh-M.jpg

“Spirited Road”, Texas…

Yes, that is now the name of our road we established a couple days ago on “The Oasis”. A couple more days in Alpine to round up what is on the list and move on Monday. That is the plan. It is like I am torturing myself by not moving on today, I can taste us being there… it has to be the right day!

We took a ride to Terlingua yesterday, the Mustang Shelby’s where having their yearly meet with many powerful and expensive cars playing drag racing and reverse parking “tail in” at high speeds. Many toys displayed where I also had a chance to meet Mr Carroll Shelby himself and have him autograph my riding jacket… it’s value from faded fabric and well weathered fibers just went up!

The weather has been perfect, a slight chill is in the air in the dark hours, for a change our timing getting here has been just right. I am sure we will start seeing many travelers coming through unless this far destination and fuel prices hold them back.

More on the Blog

Be well, Ara & Spirit

276120734_ZLzzq-L-1.jpg

All is quiet at “The Oasis”

The neighbors 2 miles away must not be home as I look around it is pitch black whichever way I turn. This is reminding me of my days on sailboats anchored a hundred miles off shore, in that previous scenario however without much of a safety net.

This definitely does not feel as just any land we have camped on! It is as I am expected to do something and then again we are here with Mother Nature to smell the roses… cactuses actually. Tomorrow morning already the “telephone” guys are coming! Just when I thought we have escaped it all… That is however good news, phone is a must in any shape or form and with it will come Broadband… less expensive than the Dish I use right now.

An oil change for “Old Faithful” and we will be ready to roll, anxious to get into Big Bend Park again… sit at “Sotol Look Out”, my favorite spot of it all… specially when a storm passes by and the sun is setting, as it did last year on a magical evening.

More on the Blog... Be well… come and visit!

Ara & Spirit

384746753_7B5nv-L.jpg

Our First Day in “Big Bend”, Texas

First day here, first day there, all is a first including a beautiful sunset and a sunrise, the ride… it is all first row seat here.

The nights are filled with more stars than I have ever seen and 24/7 there is silence, that is total silence. One can get used to this and too much of it will make it hard when the coin is flipped as it will be when we start some short adventures.

Without a watch or clock the days flies by and only the sun lets me know to get a move on if I want to accomplish anything of any value.

Getting into the Park has not changed, it is that content feeling while riding the familiar roads and stopping at the familiar look outs. It never fails to see a hill, a rock or colors I had never noticed before, an amazing fact for as many times as we have been here.

The rest of the day is on the Blog

Be well and thanks for the company…

Ara & Spirit

386965195_2Npye-L.jpg

Took a little walk, Texas

Not stranded but needing to get some tire situation straighten out. The “wheel” has arrived and the tire needs to be seated properly, “Old Faithful” needs a new front mounted and things do not move too fast around here. We just rode 120 miles today and the tire guy stood me up… So we will try Monday again, plan B. closer this time.

We have been going on many walks lately. Getting over this sense of responsibility being here and somehow for some reason feeling different than just setting up camp anywhere.

1400 miles of dirt roads to walk on, ride, and right behind us is a little hill filled with flowers and the daily Sunset always better than the day before!

Spirit does not stop attracting the photographers as it happened again while in Alpine. Better him than me!

I just feel so unorganized suddenly as there is much to do and seemingly at the same time nothing to accomplish! We just need our wheels to get rolling again.

More on the Blog … till next time.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

388754857_7QSgh-L.jpg

Are the Stars “misaligned”?, Texas

I have to this morning take a step back and move slowly on the path of “fixing” things, or more truthfully think about on how to go about it all! Suddenly it is a full plate…

After numerous attempts my new wheel is still leaking air. I won’t even go into the details, it could be the subject for a humorous play with too many scenes. “Old Faithful” herself is diagnosed with a bad right throttle body and a slipping clutch. I am not even thinking about her annual physical such as what everyone calls a “tune up”, an involved process that requires the sidecar to be taken apart. Without a phone here, e mail is my only resource and, not surprisingly, the BMW Dealers I inquired about are not returning any breath of my inquiries. I guess they do not want to sell any parts!!!

A few miles away my cell phone will work but its battery for the second time is not charging! I often wonder if “mechanical” objects have a Life of their own. Must be…

More on the Blog

Be well, Ara & Spirit

390138478_jScwS-L.jpg

Karma looks upon us, Texas

What would be the chances for an incredible mechanic such as “Paul Glaves” to be our neighbor 4 miles away and offer his expertise to install a new clutch, throttle body, throttle cable and a complete maintenance schedule as “Old Faithful” is in need right now? Slim?… well, it is reality! The parts have been ordered, next week we will be not only watching but as he expressed himself learn more about this bike than I ever have.

There is no denying it, once again the road has become smooth as also there is not harm for us riding around in the meantime.

A ride to Terlingua, the Ghost Town, seeing the familiar sites and faces as not much has changed since last year.

The weather has been perfect with tolerable heat throughout the days and cool nights. This at time “puzzle” is emerging as an image with much more definite outlines.

A recipe for a quick meal, a tasty one…

As always, more on the Blog .

Be well… Ara & Spirit

392091068_JFEpJ-L.jpg

Unprepared for the storm, Texas

The future? I will be prepared! Good weather day in and day out makes me forget the other side of the coin sometimes. It only took “that one” burst of wind to knock the Dish down. Already with no phone service here yet, we both went on to Alpine to find a solution. And what luck… a slightly bent Dish was waiting for us… all is well again!

Much play with Spirit every day on this vast open land, one happy dog he now is and has become my shadow 24/7, his sight never leaving my movements.

Thinking about next week, about “Old Faithful” being dismantled as it is always a mental hardship, but for the first time I am truly so relaxed about it, how can I not be when it is Paul Glaves running the show. The parts are here… we are ready.

We took a ride into Big Bend Park, always feeling this peaceful aura descending upon us, an easy pill to swallow. More great Sunrises and Sunsets… I try real hard to not take anymore pictures of them… but that is not happening!

More on the Blog...

Be well… always. Ara & Spirit

393841376_Hyix3-L.jpg

On our way to Ft Stockton! Texas

In company of a good Friend yesterday, Lance’s Birthday passed on with more ease this year as I only hope that I some day return the incredible support that I received on this bitter sweet day. I feel so much to want to reach others wearing the same shoes, “I owe” I feel… “what can I now do” I feel…

Plagued by mechanical let downs it is now the turn for the solar power to malfunction! No “DC” power when inverter or generator off! Luckily another Friend will meet us today in Ft Stockton to figure out what is wrong. What happened to the simplicity of living in a tent? This is so complicated and so much can go wrong…

Tomorrow “Old Faithful” will come apart, she will be in good hands hoping for no bad surprises… thinking positive here.

Just another day on the road as the full moon is upon us… on the Blog.

Be well…. Ara & Spirit

Blog

Edited by beemerchef

395945462_VBGHs-L.jpg

As simple as a tire change! Texas…

It has been some smooth days even if the photos look daunting! It was first meeting Ryan who attacked my solar system and rewired it from scratch. I’ll skip the details… the bottom line? Very very wrong and unhealthy! It was a relaxed day with so much confidence inspired. Same confidence going on this third day with Paul Glaves. What an inspiration it is to be taught and witness a bike being torn down and put back together in about the same way I would make a cup of coffee! And done right with so many attention to details… no joke… It is beyond mechanical ability, it is a “Zen” like process that leaves one actually enjoying the day and learn so much. I might even ask him when we are done if we could tear it up again!

The Desert is our Friend. Always has been but more so now than before, it is never just the land, it is also the People even as isolated as it is here.

More photos on the Blog .

Be well, Ara & Spirit

398269339_FnWzA-M-1.jpg

Rolling again in Texas…

“WOW’ has always been a nice word for me expressing the inexpressible! Hollow, brainless expression, yes, but yet it defines for me anything I cannot quite define or would have to use too many words to do so… “WOW” is all I could loudly say when riding again, when rolling again down the road with a huge grin on “our” faces. A true “Master” and a “Teacher” as I have never had before, “Paul Glaves” has opened up a new avenue of thoughts regarding my own mechanical abilities. For someone like me that has spend their Life in a kitchen I guess it is never too late to plunge into the “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance”! Never give up, one step at the time and above it all, stay calm as, and I quote him “it is just a bunch of nuts and bolts”! Terlingua had their own “Friends of Big Bend” ride going on… much fun to check out the bikes customized to their owner’s train of thought. A “Tilapia” quick recipe… it makes up the Blog today… or was it yesterday?

Be well… Ara & Spirit

400324849_L3LTf-L-1.jpg

A ride to Presidio, Texas

Always a fun road to ride, to photograph, to stop and meditate, think about the reality of it all on how all this came about.

The road itself has been closed since the floods, all cleaned up now and open to local traffic when nearing Presidio only because of some cracks on the south side. It was a quick ride, a bit shorter in time for us from the norm as I know we will ride it again and probably again! Our phone is in! DSL is in at lightning speeds, all being an incredible task from the Big Bend Telephone Company. They showed up a couple mornings ago with semis and tractors, trench digger and a full crew to extend the line .3 miles! All in one day of work. They have a no non-sense operation and were back this morning for the final hook up and activation.

Spirit again is ecstatic to be riding in his car and between the all day ride and fetching the ball he is passed out… The “Do not disturb” sign is up… Maybe food will change his mind! The Sunrise and the Sunset yesterday where both an incredible gift from Mother Nature… you can see them on the Blog .

Be well… Ara & Spirit

402182417_4QndB-L.jpg

More riding, some Friends and more cooking, Texas

Since “Old Faithful” ( might have to call her “Young Faithful” now!) has been revamped, we have been as they say “burning up” the roads, mainly to Alpine. Many “Motorcyclist Café” Forum riders have been in town for the weekend, “Aprilia” motorcycle demos, a great dinner and much chatting. Putting some faces on all those names, those handles everyone uses, has been quite a great experience. Big Bend after all “is” a destination as it feels being at the end of the World, and it is.

It was winter for a couple of days, the electric heated gear was out, today again the warmth has come back, one could not ask for a more perfect day on “The Oasis”.

Cooking some left over ingredients, pictures of how Big Bend has come about, it is all on the Blog .

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

404036254_yEc3q-L-1.jpg

The dirt road to Marathon, Texas

One does not realize how vast this area is till they traverse a region less traveled as it was riding the “Old Marathon” Rd, only 23 miles of unpaved road with long stretches of deep sand and rocky slanted sections and challenging. It is an area where one does not even see the glimpse of a roof at any distance, close or far as within other areas around here. It is again a “road” which makes one wonder how it all came about. This one connects east and west dropping into the Park in its end. We never took a stroll down Marathon’s main street as instead we stumbled onto a group building “papercrete” homes. A real interesting concept as they say it will change the future on how homes are build, utilizing much paper in need of recycling. It gives me ideas for putting up here at least for starters a “storage” structure. Of course it is a catch 22, I would need much water to accomplish that task… so we have to get the water situation under control first! Time will tell…

Enjoy the rider

Be well… Ara & Spirit

405921819_Kr9Js-L.jpg

“Papercrete” Homes, Texas

Quite an alternative for structures which would do well in this climate. A “paper” shelter! Who would have thought…

But of course as everything else there is a catch. Need for a mixer and above all water which we do not have to spare… Some kind of a pick up truck to haul “stuff”… some tools. A tent is sounding better and better! Always two sides to the coin.

This land tears me up sometimes in the sense that I don’t want to leave, such silence, quiet, peace and serenity surrounded by beautiful landscape, at the same time the road calls, the wind on my face while rolling down the stretches is also part of the present Life. I try to balance it utilizing warmer times to do so.

It is now the perfect weather for this area, it was a good decision to anchor down for the winter, not saying there will not be some freezing spells! I am hoping for some blankets of snow sometime in the near future.

On to Alpine today… there seem to be always and errand to run!

Be well… enjoy the “ papercrete ” homes…

Ara & Spirit

408333576_b5aXU-L.jpg

To Boquillas Canyon, Texas

With much going on in the neighborhood such as mainly the Chili Cook Off, meaning “stay off the roads”, we went in hiding into Big Bend’s Park. Very few cars, a couple bikes and much space. Lets face it, it is the least visited Park in the USA.

We spend some time by the Rio Grande, across from Boquillas, Mexico, a small town separated from the World by a closed border and a River.

Such little distance separates us and yet in reality a different civilization is there, we are the same but we are not. We should be… maybe some day?

The ride back was as pleasant as the ride in, maybe a bit more thoughtful, unless totally insensitive to others it would be impossible to not start thinking at a population so close to us and yet so cut off from the mainstream.

The photos are on the Blog Be well… Ara & Spirit

Edited by beemerchef

409395761_zXQJU-L-1.jpg

Matters of the Heart, Texas

The ride to Alpine the other day was of a different tempo! There is a first for everything. What a better way to celebrate two years on the road with an Ambulance ride to the Hospital!

The heart just gave up. Spirit was left behind and I went ahead for some care and maintenance. First the bike, now myself. We will all be brand new soon. We are going back today as we made it here when released, more tests and needing to spend some time with a Cardiologist, either here or in Odessa.

I feel a bit in limbo as they say! The bike is even covered right now as we will be away for these couple of days. What a sad sight!

Coincidentally it was also the celebration of the “Day of the Dead” in Terlingua.

More about it all on the Blog

Be well… Ara & Spirit

411306227_MZaNs-L.jpg

The “Colors” of Life, Texas

Back at “The Oasis”, feeling better by the day and trying to sort out the steps to maybe be approved for Health Care. This reminds me so much of the times when Lance was sick and we were asked for the mighty $ first… who cared what his name was. I am getting the same treatment! It is a sad state of affair but somehow, either here or Florida, it will be taken care off.

I think there is a bunch of Dual Sport Riders in town this weekend, a turn of the throttle and will go to meet them as we did last year.

All is well, I feel so clean as I think the nicotine has left my body by now and without coffee either my senses are becoming so perceptive of my environment. I was thinking this morning how great this was, much less to pack on the rig!!! It is a change I have to say, a great change as I have to take the positive aspect of it all.

Another recipe, all on the Blog .

Be well… Ara & Spirit

178154685_kThGy-L.jpg

In retrospect, Texas

I feel as the meds are kicking in. There is a clarity in the mind which is starting to prevail and that nicotine craving is just about gone, hoping that the Cardiologist’s prognosis on the 17th will be a decent and fair one! We are actually going to take ride today into Terlingua, Lajitas. There is a group of dual sport riders in town and many we had met last year. The “Lifestyle” change was almost brutal the first days but already now it seems that all is leveling off and my attention is starting to again focus on… traveling! I need to focus a bit more and being anchored down for winter here, always mild but yet, high winds and freezing temps do happen. Yesterday morning actually for the first time Spirit’s outside water bowl froze to my surprise.

Photos? They are all from “memory lane”, they have been my travels these past few days throughout the Blog .

Be well, and again, “thank you” to all the kind readers that have extended a hand in these difficult times. We both appreciated more than you think.

Ara & Spirit

Am I now a Photographer? Texas

415567272_AVxPT-L.jpg

Having been accepted at KIOWA Gallery in Alpine was a thrill yesterday, specially with Gallery night coming up on the 21st. 6 full size photos will be hanging on the wall.

What a Journey this has been. I read other’s ride reports… filled with riding. Somehow with us I can add undergoing an Echo Cardiogram last night… an ambulance ride… year round exposed photos in a so well known Gallery… much cooking… and oh! Yes… we also do ride!

Monday morning is still and will be the decisive moment in Odessa seeing the Cardiologist. I think some medication is going to do the trick… that is what Spirit thinks anyhow.

We are back in Alpine for now, too much commute if we stayed up “The Oasis”. My Friend Mac Gyver, meaning Ryan, also has gone home after setting up the solar system to an even better output performance.

This is Life on the road, a bit hectic right now, all things must pass they say, this will too.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Edited by beemerchef

416317054_FMUQU-L-1.jpg

The ultimate “therapy”… Texas

I think anything where your head can stick out with no roof going down the road would be the ultimate therapy as it is for us. I say us as Spirit always agrees to take off, I have yet to hear a complain from him. It is that “no partition” feeling with the surrounding scenery, it is the wind with its moods and strengths, it is being transposed into another space where nothing much from the real world on foot quite matters anymore. And I say “anything” as many would not care for a motorcycle. So there are sidecar rigs like ours, three wheelers, some new fancy designs have surfaced lately with two wheels in the front and one in the rear… I think a nice little convertible will also do!

As long as we can ride, this waiting game, this counting the days to Monday, will be fine. I think once this is all behind us, including Art Gallery Nights the following weekend, I have already this fantasy that we are going to take off, follow a southern route to California and slowly go up the coast trying to stay warm.

I think I will be bursting by then…

In the meantime it was a timeless ride to Ft Davis .

Be well… hope all this makes a bit of sense! Ara & Spirit

419661478_3DaFo-L.jpg

Marfa , Texas

Ride and more riding, just have to, it is “the “prescription with unlimited refills, no Dr’s visits needed. Marfa was our destination.

Yesterday we did drive to Odessa. Paul Glaves was great company and courteous enough to wheel me there and back. The miles went on like a flash, I think we could have gone cross country and never be without an interesting conversation.

The Dr’s visit itself? Well… my echo cardiogram never made it, no where to be found. He was actually more concerned with the arteries that had the bypasses 13 years ago, kind of like an old tube in a tire I guess. So back to Odessa on Monday for this time a Nuclear stress test. Sounds dramatic. I guess we will just take all this one step at the time. The attitude has not changed with receptionists! “It will be $210 for your first visit” she said without looking up… as I replied “how about if I don’t like the Dr? will I get refund”. Two hours later… (waiting was free) I made his acquaintance as he also insisted that he hears the “I don’t have Insurance” too many times a day… “I am here as a medical Doctor…” he went on to make me understand, “not a Social worker”… And I did… trust me! Be well… always. Ara & Spirit

421011198_T3Wv8-L.jpg

Indian Head trail Rd, Texas

Just a few miles south of “The Oasis”, on the outskirts of Terlingua, is this road that will take you to a “space” to me unlike any others. It is also an entrance of Big Bend Park, it is a show of Mother Nature’s work, it is a display of rocks in shapes, colors and intricate cuts a bit rare in this area. They are raw, cracked, balanced often defying gravity, they are my destination when wanting to escape and do some hiking as the trail/road also leads to some spectacular views of the Chisos.

We did not spend all day, just long enough to again leave in total amazement.

Tomorrow “white elephant” is moving to Alpine for a couple days. This is when I suddenly decided that I do enjoy it! I can park anywhere and still be home, eliminating the commute back here. Alpine’s Gallery Nights will start in the am and promises to be two fun filled days as I will also try to take a lot of pictures.

So till then… enjoy the “ rocks ”.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

423066466_sQcen-L.jpg

Gallery Nights in Alpine, Texas

“Old Faithful” must be lonely by now! She has been left behind since Friday. Today she is 210 miles away as we are now in Odessa’s Hospital Parking Lot with our winter base camp “The White Elephant”. It was however 2 greats nights in Alpine, camped right across from the Kiowa Gallery where the Journey’s Photos displayed had some great feedback and even a couple sales. I call it “Amazing”. The crowds were out in full force for both nights, a nice pleasant crowd, much music, much dancing and much food everywhere! The support from other local Artists has also been such a welcome gesture and so has been the kindness of Keri, the owner of the Gallery.

I would call it a perfect time…

Now of course waiting for the dreaded Nuclear stress test, the only way to have all the cards in hand for a decision toward the future… I think it is going to be good, everything else has been…

Much more on the Blog

Be well and “thank you all” for the great support you have given me… and Spirit.

Ara & Spirit

424534675_W7CWM-L.jpg

After Gallery Nights, Texas

I feel as I am now finally waking up from a long awaken sleep. The stress test is behind, the physician changing it to a chemically induced process with results on December the 2nd. I shall not think about it till then as soon as these side effects disappear. How good can all this be for the body including slightly radioactive chemicals? Lesser of two evils? Afraid to search…

“Old Faithful” is being pulled out of its Desert shelter in a few minutes, it is time to regroup soon and get back to our abnormal normal Life.

“Gallery Nights” are just a memory now, a great one, and the search for more magical photos of our Journey is right around the corner.

I always wonder where this is going! All we can do is enjoy the ride, there has not been any complains from neither of us these past two year!

More photos of the Alpine Gallery Nights on the Blog

Be well…

Always.

Ara & Spirit

426121620_wsBEi-L.jpg

Our Thanksgiving… Texas

150 miles or so from here, the “blue light” specials must be screaming in the aisles of the urban smorgasbords of consumerism. At “the Oasis”, here, the good weather and full sunlight, mild temperatures, silence, peace and serenity are on “special”, combined with yesterday’s great memories of a Thanksgiving spend with Friends we now call Family.

You cannot buy it, cannot lease it or borrow it! It happens as I can only wish it happens to you all.

It was great food, great laughter, great company that filled our cup running these past days on almost empty.

Even Spirit had a great time and moments. A true gentleman well behaved around our food and his own encounters with Desert dwellers, goats and other dogs, the later while taking a stroll to the Cowhead Ranch near by, a great place to stay while in the area and experience the real Texas Life as it use to be.

A full report on the Blog…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

427335421_S5KaS-L-1.jpg

Our Postal Route.Tx

Not just any route but one of the most beautiful road this country has to offer. Roughly a 160 mile round trip which I always wondered how I would feel if it was my job. I guess my conclusion is, all is a matter of the individual if it would turn into a daily grind or a daily Journey discovering every day a new facet of the route. Definitely a job unlike other.

We have some Friends visiting from Booth, south of Houston. Carl and Colette and their own Friend Judy. We stayed with them for about a week a year or so ago, it is so nice to see familiar faces, catch up on the old times, talk about the future times. They have brought us a load of Pecan wood broken off the trees of their property since the last storm, wood is so valuable here and this will allow us to have much entertainment and outside warmth throughout the winter months coming up.

The “route” is on the Blog !

Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit

430161801_sbeWU-L.jpg

A “milestone”, to “Good Health”, Friends and more Adventures.

Every day is a new beginning, but today feels a bit above them all. A clean bill of health, at least highly passable considering past history, has brought some calm and peacefulness throughout my moments. Every day this “Journey” has had a new page, but today it is a new chapter as I feel I can rest and at the same time look forward to some new adventures, new roads, new photos as Mother Nature has always never failed welcoming us in the midst of her landscape. Always in touch with my inner senses, they have also matured surrounded by Friends and you all that have carried me to this point sound and safely. There is a value of Life itself unknown or maybe a bit foggy in the past that has now taken such a clearer and definite shape within, the Human aspect amongst us all.

We have spend these past few days with some wonderful Friends, Carl, Colette and Judy. It is not the distances we never covered but the quality of the moments together. Carl never had even a chance to ride his bike! That says it all… doesn’t it?

Their story I should have really titled “wood good” is on the Blog .

Be well, always, and stay well. Ara and my buddy Spirit.

Very good health news! There are a lot of us 'selfish' folk who hope you just keep on going forever and favoring us with the wonderful stories and photos.

There you are! Merci Paul... Merci beaucoup mon Ami...

431499871_yEJ66-L.jpg

Sometimes he also writes! Tx

That is the case today when Spirit last night took over the keyboard to express his own feelings. After all, I am only the “chauffeur” of this specie that has taken not quite yet, but will soon, over the World. They are the quiet “majority”, we just don’t know it yet.

Winter has definitely showed his face around here, comparing to temperatures up North however I will only get teased if I complained that it was 41 degrees when we left for some errands in Alpine. Today, this afternoon it was… close to 80! Good time to come and visit if anyone is planning a route to Big Bend and its vicinity.

We met up with a couple riders from Louisiana, today a couple from Austin and I think I need to be rescued by a notebook and pencil, I need to start writing down names!

Spirit was not too harsh on me, he just likes to make a point once in a while on the Blog .

Be well… Ara & Spirit

433654209_hWK6Q-L.jpg

A “soulful neighbor”, Tx

It has become so strange about loosing days here. I sometimes look at a calendar, compare it to some recent writing or photography and realize that more days have passed than I thought. My neighbor a few miles down the road, John, he just celebrated his one year anniversary on his own land, totally self contained, on a different path than us, but with the same attraction toward these vast and empty spaces.

There is such an individuality here that it makes it interesting to visit others and see and be explained in depth how they are surviving.

If you are wondering what happened to Spirit’s color… that is about the norm by the end of the day as we live, eat, sleep and breathe dust. A dust here called “adobe”, fine powder, as fine as “talcum” powder and the main reason why we welcome rain so much!

Hope you enjoy his dwelling on the Blog … we sure did.

Be well… Ara & Spirit