IGNORED

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey on the road...

beemerchef

286800515_mfTv7-L.jpg

Around and around in Circles, Utah

We had the good fortune to meet a big group of balloonists the other day going through Mexican Hat and end up spending a great morning with them, learning about the intricacies of the sport… It seems like a sport after all with more people on the ground helping than in the air. A great bunch of people and some shots which turned out not too bad after all.

We will be most likely writing from Needles next time, the southern entrance of Canyonland. Many friends are suppose to show up in Moab also but… will see how that goes.

We are doing good here, things have relaxed since being better sheltered, amazing what some nasty weather can do while living on the road…

Enjoy… the balloons !

Be well… always…

Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com our website and Blog

beemerchef

288143764_T4Wzo-L.jpg

We will not fight against the weather anymore! Utah

Always trying to get somewhere! Just not taking “NO” for an answer… We had to yesterday, amongst more sandstorms in Needles. And I look at the forecast as we pushed north now, at Ken’s Lake right before Moab, and none of it looks much more conductive. So we will wait… eventually this will change also… Maybe we should have stayed in Bluff, well sheltered and warm.

But the road to Needles is something to see! Just so incredibly beautiful. Soon!

We are warm inside, we have food and good health… what else do we need really!… All things must pass as they say and this will too… Soon it will be over 100 degrees most likely… that thought feels already good…

Today is like an “opening” day as our project hanging pictures in a Gallery is done! You will see it on the Blog

Till next time, always wishing you well…

Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

Wow... it looks different... we must have been closed!!!

290786043_Q3hiM-L.jpg

Needles and back, Utah…

I started wondering if we will ever leave Utah!!! Tomorrow we are actually moving to the Needles area. Some friends have a great site and are moving… we are going to replace them! Maybe spend one night side by side… company will be nice.

The sights are endless, every step of the way is a rock, a formation so different from each other and I love rocks! I keep imagining how their shapes over those billions of years have changed to the present. It makes me feel so minuscule!

The scenery itself is changing. We rode the Colorado River yesterday and it was like a new ride… all has become green and actually we are going back today as the sun sets to take some pictures of the glistening waters…

The weather? THIS is the time to come and visit… T Shirt and Gear Jacket… that is all!

Today’s Blog is the rest of Needles first visit and some odd Artifacts from “The Hole in the Wall”…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Paul_Burkett

The beauty of Utah is breath taking, the more I see, the more I want to experience the grandeur of it all.

Ara,

If the wind continues to bother you, try the area I showed you on the map, North from exit 131 off of I-70 (Buckhorn Draw Road) along the San Rafeal River. You can camp for free there, and are about one hour from Green River town for supplies.

Also you can go South from I-70 on 24, and turn in to the Swell on the Temple Mountain Road (same road as the northern one actually, just a different access point to it). The turn will be marked for Goblin Valley State park. You'll want to explore that area, but camp straight in on that road, past the reef (you'll see it).

The Needles are great. Very sheltered, low along the river, and trees along the access road. You should be fine there.

Sharon, Suzie, Bob and I are still hoping to see you at the Torrey event, May 16, 17 and 18. I'll be in the night of the 15th. There is camping in the area, but PM Bob (Killer) for details. It is higher and colder than where you are now.

Jan

beemerchef

Thanks for the tips! We just settled in Needles last night... I doubt it we will make it to Torrey... Love to make it to SLC for Simon's presentation... but... this area has us pinned like a magnet... so much to experience...

Paul... come and join, if only for a while! Rallies are crowded... this has to be better!!!

291883484_85fYg-L.jpg

La Sal Mountain loop, Utah…

I am writing this from Lockhart Pass, Needles area (Lat 38 10 / Long 109 40)… just in case you are in the neighborhood! Away from the campground, not too far from the road where I have already seen a few two wheelers go on probably to do the loop toward Hurray Pass…

But couple days ago we did the “La Sal Mountain loop” and one should not miss the incredible scenery, the fresh air and the nice curvy roads with still a bit of snow on the shoulders, enough to make a snowman for Spirit… or maybe it was a snowwoman?

Met up wit many riders coming through Moab including a group of old Indians from Holland! What a Hub it is…

Will be here a while… off the grid.

Enjoy the Blog … come and visit, plenty of room here!

Be well, Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

292744520_xuPFy-L.jpg

Near Needles, Utah that is…

Great campsite and always much to see and experience! Today we are going to a Festival! Just found out from a reader a couple minutes ago… The Blue Hollow Festival near Monticello… have to talk to Spirit about it!

We have been here a couple days I think and doing not much… great sunsets… a cold snap… some good wind filled with sand to clean my teeth… just mellowing out and taking it all in.

Spend one night on the same site with some friends, a good dinner, some good laughs… I have to say that the company was great… A little ride into Needles… it has been all good.

I am starting to read about others coming to this area… I have the feeling we will meet more friends very soon… It “IS” that time of the year…

Check it all out on the Blog

Be well, always… Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

294335949_PSZw2-L.jpg

Blu Mtn Fastivel, Monticello, Utah…

A good time is always what you make of it. When we arrived to the Festival after a change of plan as usual, the organizers where really disturbed at the amount of the “no shows” within the vendors… blaming it on fuel prices. $4.29 today by the way in Monticello. My friend Pete was also there and was leaving as we arrived… as, this was not worth even coming too… he said.

We had a great time, we got lost a couple times trying to find the field, we got permission to go back to this old property we had found with “no trespassing” signs… It was just a great day on that front. Missing Family on another front took an impact later on but Spirit and I together we are learning to deal with it… Riding helps… he does too… you do too… it is all good.

Till next time…

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

294995550_iQeUb-L.jpg

Amazing Global exposure for the “Journey” and… Spirit!!!

No misquotes… written as it should be, a synopsis of 18 months on the road… the why and the hows…

On Welcome to World of BMW

Got a kick out of this one on Motor Cyclist right underneath an another article about my Hero “Rossi”!… and our full page…And then it is on to BMW Motorrad South Africa

… and Automotive.com Just in case you wanted a shorter version on the ongoing of the last 18 months!

We arrived back in Moab yesterday, we will be busy running errands, regrouping a bit and then on back south… Different World always suddenly… from the silence to rubber rolling down the black top… But that is alright with me as long as I know there is so much more of the vast empty spaces waiting for us…

Thank you for all your support… and long live “Spirit”!, yes… one of those mean “Pits” you know!!! (all the links are on the Blog )

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Ara writes in his blog..."And, in another news, many lately it seems like, in total agreement with Suz and Bob, the owners of "Urban Artifacts Gallery", we have pulled out my pictures. The main reason?… I am no Ansel Adams and as a business stand point, as they also need to make a profit, the prices where just too high. The change has already been done, they are now handled by myself and the prices have been cut in half."

We first met Ara when he was in town having his bike repaired. It was purely social as we are BMW people, dog people and foodies too. As we talked it became known that we have an art gallery. A day or so later Ara brought up the subject of our representation of his work.

Ara selected the photographs and consulted with us on printing and mounting. Suz spent countless hours preparing the website for his work, and mentoring him about the business of art. As in all cases the artist sets the prices and we help in presenting the work to the market.

After a few days his work had not sold and he expressed concern that having his work in the gallery might detract from his personal efforts. As Ara said, there was a joint decision made to pull his work from the gallery. Our action was taken out of concern for him and to add support for his personal journey.

We wish Ara all the best in his travels and hope he has great success in marketing his photography.

beemerchef

Thanks Bob, and both of you for all the efforts and work you guys have put in. First Class all the way. It was great dealing with you two... and I know that the Friendship will always remain... some day... we will make it through Salt Lake City again... and the promise to prepare a lavish dinner will always stand.

296610919_g8Ldp-L.jpg

A strong Potash connection! Utah

A frayed clutch cable changed with a smile thanks to some past strong tutorials from Master BMW mechanics who knew that the knowledge of being quite self sufficient would come in handy, as it did. A couple tires changed by a Harley mechanic right along some stories of celebrities he had shared moments with. Another ride on Potash Rd, which with time and traffic has changed to a rougher one exposing itself with its flowers blooming and hues of red constantly changing throughout the moments… The sudden attraction of the Potash and salt mine with its blue dyed waters establishing such a contrast with the landscape… Spirit making it’s home wherever we stop and doing his own exploring… meeting a man named Mike who himself has just rescued another abused dog, an image of Spirit 3 years ago… This is just another day in our Life on the road. Never a dull moment, there is no boredom when one slows down and allows the events to take shape throughout one’s senses. All in the Blog.

Always be well… Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

299300006_dr8Qd-L.jpg

Some great Camping, Utah

Camping is always great in Utah… specially when my favorite spot is unoccupied… A bit short lived because of bad weather today, but we got a great taste of it. You can never go wrong camping in “The Valley of the Gods”.

Full sun, sunsets, sunrise and just about full moon, it was a perfect time. The heat around this area is the only factor that worries me, specially with Spirit, even with always a full bowl of water in front of him and some shade, panting non stop. We definitely spend much more time throughout the year in cold weather versus hot.

So we are back… things will clear up and we can take off again!!!

I have had quite a few readers ask me about our camping gear… so there it is today, on the Blog .

Enjoy and be well…

Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

300236409_zdKXm-L.jpg

The Natural Bridges, Utah

We packed fairly early that day leaving my favorite spot where I am sure we will go back under better skies. Some glancing at the clouds, decided to go and checkout the Natural Bridges National Park. Nice ride up, the Park itself not crowded at all with a 9 miles loop and amazingly no red sandstone. I think the camera was confused now! A delight on the eyes, marvels carved in rocks, many trails to go on and much greenery. The winds picked up as time went on, a struggling ride back specially with it on the nose from Blanding back to Bluff just in time for some serious rain… which lasted till a few minutes ago. Just got a message from a rider that was suppose to meet us here tonight… he is in Monticello in a motel room… it is snowing just a few miles north from here!

Eventually we will complain, needlessly, that it is too hot… some day, does not seem to be soon.

All in the Blog as always. Be well… Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

302263807_6uhD5-L.jpg

Canyon the Chelly, Utah

Pronounced “sha-e”, I stood corrected. A nice ride into Arizona exploring the cliffs of this Canyon I had never heard of till a few days ago. Beautiful and breathtaking, uncrowded on Navajo Land as they also live in the Valley with much farming utilizing the rich soil available.

For the first time we were not alone, joined by Art, a reader and rider from New York City, New York… curious of our Lifestyle. Quite a step for him to pack up and go as it seems that his own Journey has turned into Jell-O abandoning all the plans he had drawn on his map and just following his nose.

It is never the “destination” truly, but the Journey. A bit of cooking, many pictures and ourselves will go back again to ride some of the roads we did not have a chance to touch yet.

Enjoy the Canyon , I hope you get to visit it some day soon…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

303235151_EtzUT-L.jpg

Another day by the Canyons, Utah

The riding was awesome stopping at all the overlooks, Spirit was in his glory as usual being outdoor and wind in his face… proudly sitting with his head up as a sidecar owner… (he is!!!). There were so many more roads we yet have not done due to lack of time as Art and I parted after some great company. Him going west… us going east. Now that we are familiar with the area of the Canyon de Chelly, we will plan again to ride beyond it some passes we were told are just magnificent and twisted!

We are back in Bluff for a couple of days, changing brake pads and trying to figure out why there is a couple of drops of oil sipping from under the front cover… I need to be in that “mood” to do mechanical work… I think today is it!

More pictures on the Blog … as always.

Be well.

Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

304819104_xePcw-L.jpg

Camping at Monument Valley, Utah

Those longs days are tiresome sometimes when trying to catch sunsets and sunrises back to back! Even Spirit in still darkness, in the am his eyes half closed seems to be complaining!

It was just some place visited before but never camped in… Monument Valley.

We took our time getting there and also a small detour in Oljato to check out the Trading Post, an original built in 1921.

On to the park we had first row seats ahead of everyone with the same idea! What I thought would be a non sense turned into fun while chatting with the many foreigners present, taking advantage of their beneficial Euro exchange….

There will be a couple chapters of this outing… too many pictures and too much going on!

Be well… always…

Ara & Spirit pictures

beemerchef

306523395_zuutU-L.jpg

So more camping at Monument Valley! Utah…

This was camping with photography in mind… the dirt road loop also I have to say is always kind of challenging trying to always figure out a better line and explore the possibilities of the rig’s handling! Nice also to meet many foreigners taking advantage of the Euro exchange and listen to their own perspective about traveling and visiting this Country. Only one complain… same as mine… the food situation! But look at where we are! Food Distributors don’t even want to deliver their ingredients this far… time… and fuel costs! So… keep on cooking!

The heat in the air is being really felt this morning and the “no-see-ums”, I think same as “gnats” (?) are out in full force… I thought we left them behind in Florida… but wrong! I even tried “dryer sheets” to keep them away… not much is working… Colorado Mountains are sounding more and more appealing!!!

Till next time… enjoy the pictures … maybe the writing too!

Be well Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

307106344_RdtMa-L-1.jpg

Is it winter… again?

33 degrees a few miles up the road, dark clouds and much rain yesterday… but it looks like all will change tomorrow when we head out soon (I like to use that word!… no time frame…) to the “Antelope Slot Canyon” in Page, by Lake Powell. We are looking forward to it… Spirit will stay behind for a couple hours under the watchful eyes of the Lady that books the Tours as no one is allowed in without a guide, and Dogs cannot join us… again! Not my favorite way to go… but I think it will be worth it…

I am still lost within the images of Monument Valley! Hard to get tired of it when they project such a constant change of shadows throughout the day starting with sunrise, specially when no one is around but us…

The rest of the images are here…

Be well… always… Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

310120224_qYwzb-L.jpg

Page, AZ… the lower Canyon

All I could say while visiting both upper and lower Antelope Slot Canyon was “phenomenal”… as truly I was left speechless by the wonders that Mother Nature truly outdoing herself on this both occasions.

A bit of a rough ride due to some heavy winds going in, sailing with ease coming up… one makes up for the extra fuel used the other way! I guess!

Page is a busy town… a Super Center Walmart probably says it all!

The weather was perfect and still is, will stay as is all summer? The area might then be called Paradise.

Many pictures of the Canyons, so many that I will eventually create a SmuMug Galery for them soon!

Enjoy... and as always, be well.

Ara & Spirit

texasaggie97

I have to admit Ara you have some of the best pics I have seen on this site. Great post I love to see your travels.

310113793_b5FoC-L.jpg

Thanks!...

More of Page and the Lower Canyon, AZ

You will probably now, with more pictures decide to visit this Lower canyon while in the Page area! I will probably again some day, it has to be the most unique experience I have ever had… right up there with anything else seen these past couple years.

I will know most likely later on the day, as we are moving on tomorrow, which way we will be headed… The little town of Boulder, Utah or start Colorado from south to north… Either way trying to find cooler weather for our outdoor activities. Spirit just does not do very well with the heat.

If it is Colorado we will just have to come back again later on as there are so many more roads and sights to experience…

I posted about 20 more pictures of the Canyon … the last of them besides the Gallery I will build up soon.

Be well… always…

Ara & Spirit

312633280_5goG2-L.jpg

A side trip! Cortez… Co

We had to get to a big city! This is big… and I am finding myself not doing well in such of an atmosphere. Spirit neither, he is just not happy as usual. An event as the Cortez Cultural Center and meeting another traveler, Sergio from Boston, who joined us for the event saved the day and the mind… Dancing, Traditions, Story telling by an 84 year old Navajo Code Talker… it was a great evening of entertainment and culture.

We are headed out in the am, all the errands are done, mail has followed me on queue including my new tags and Driver’s License! After all I am still a Florida Resident as so many others that only live there half of the time.

I am a bit torn between continuing north in Colorado or go to… Escalante for a while. I am so drawn to the later. Maybe Spirit will decide in the morning… Bluff? You can read about it here

Till next time… from who knows where!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Well, as I know your entries follow your actions by several days, probably too late. But just in case:

Escalante will be getting hot.

Torrey, Boulder Mountain, Bryce and surrounds, Cedar Breaks, Panguitch are all higher. Torrey is intermediate. The others are high. Suggest you head to Boulder Mountain for a base camp and then all of the above are within reach, along with Escalante and the Burr Trail. Just visit the low areas in the mornings or evenings if it is too hot.

Did you ever try cooking on the local pinyon/juniper mix of woods?

Jan

No, I have not tried that yet... but will, for sure. It will be hot, I know... it already is... but this is a good home base and will not be here that much anyhow... Are you going to Penguitch this weekend? I was thinking about it... if my part gets here! We are on foot right now... and paws!!!

313872647_5r6cM-L.jpg

We are in Escalante, Utah…

If you have never done 95 and 12 from Blanding or vice versa you owe to yourself to do it as a once in a Lifetime amazing first “Utah’s All-American Road”. We are now in Escalante, our new home base for a while and will go back to explore and photograph one section at the time. My concept is always either no pictures or stop every mile!… It could have taken us weeks to get here.

There is so much that it could be overwhelming as besides the maps, the locals already have given me tips on out of the way destinations. In the meantime, Old Faithful decided to take a break by developing a rear final drive leak!… Just a seal. I am sure with the help of many on Motorcycle Forums I will be able to replace… when the part gets here! No overnight shipping in this town… So Spirit and I will check out by foot this small city… however a bit bigger than Bluff.

Enjoy the Antelope Slot “Upper” Canyon today on the Blog…

Be well, as always… Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com

315464340_ME7vY-L.jpg

Some repairs in Escalante, Utah

We are on the road always at the mercy of a breakage. It is always the hidden factor that can change plans, routes and finances for sure. They came in threes! One more to go as far as fixing… waiting for a new rear hub seal, but in the meantime still riding a bit around the town.

The only Motorcycle Shop within two hundred miles is right here! A couple miles away… that is what I call good Karma as I was not aware of it when planning to come here. This is a main thoroughfare for two wheelers traveling, even travelers on foot, bicycles, and “Desert Doctor” does pretty well for the ill fated riders unprepared for this area.

It is getting hot during the day, I like it, just have to keep an eye on Spirit and from now on he will ride with his nice red cover on!… Never thought that one would come in so handy…

Enjoy the Blog … I know some of you will pass by here… let me know… will buy you a cup of coffee!!!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com

316812110_qVnRq-L.jpg

Rolling again! Utah.

They came in three… they have been fixed in three! A bit of hiking with a very upset Spirit during a 5:30am wake up call, but all worth seeing the incredible colors of the Escalante Petrified Forest, another marvel accomplished by Mother Nature…

The new seal was waiting when we returned and so embarrassed to find out that it was the easiest repair I have ever done! Could not stay still too long after 3 days pretty much at idle… so a ride to Penguitch to meet some of the Rally goers and a beautiful night time ride back to camp, arriving around midnight!

All this in one day… seems that my energy has doubled since here!

Returning today, met up with some old friends at the “Beehive Beemer” get together, unfortunately it only took one, with his unprovoked profanities and foul language, a “dog hater” I was told by the registration desk, all this because Spirit was barking while I was using the facilities! A facet of a society I thought I had abandoned long time ago. As “management” was OK with it, only saying they are… “sooo sorry!“, a Charter Club, a disgrace to the Motorcycle community, we left the “space” fouled by this individual and waiting for a public apology. As I always say… “School is always open”…

Be well… all is well here!… including Spirit . Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com

317948552_WnsqW-L.jpg

“The Dog Hater”… not “Whisperer!

When a “dog hater” (as described by the Rally organizers!), an uncaring “Rally Master” and us… end up being in the same vicinity, things do not go well. I have the outmost respect for anyone that does not like dogs… as there are many flavors of Ice cream, and that is OK… but when we get insulted, well, that is not…

It was a short stay at the Beehive Beemer Rally, we met many familiar faces, made some new Friends and the good of course outweighs the bad, if only it was not for those insults and profane language I had to hear… followed by an unconcerned Rally Master, barely listening to the situation.

The ride was fine, the rides are always fine specially since our mechanical issues have been addressed. Escalante to Penguitch is such a beautiful road allowing the traveler to take in the changes in colors of the sandstone, from white to an orangey red going through the Canyon. And for you all specially that are dog owners, I think this Blog will interest you…

Be well… always. Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com

319144180_HeAoY-L.jpg

Boulder, a cool little town, Utah

Unfortunately no pictures of the town itself today! It started storming before I even had a chance to pull the camera out of its bag. It is only 27 miles from here, there will be many more chances… We might even set up base camp in Boulder as almost a 1000 feet higher the weather is much cooler. Escalante is becoming hot. We met up with Ron, owner of “Motorcycle Repair and Rendez Vous and that was a great time chatting… he even bought me lunch! The day could not get any better. Well, it did as we met another roadside attraction… Joe… crossing the country on Roller Blades! Yes… It is a shame that we cannot just pull up a chair and sit by the side of the road, there are all kinds of travelers coming through, trust me!

In case you do not read the Blog , many thanks for all the support you have send us including all the kind words. It is water under the bridge… The replies from the responsible parties of course almost made me the bad guy with the bad dog! Forget it… Karma will take its course! I do not carry or want that kind of energy.

Be well… always… the sun is shining today. Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com

320431421_DDzYc-L.jpg

4, 60, 300 and the “Burr trail”, Utah…

You will need to read the Blog to find out about the 4, 60 and 300... Somehow they all fell on the same day!

With 2 million acres surrounding us we are liable to experience some areas unadvertised as the Burr Trail. I had this vision for a moment of gates and shuttles taking the tourists back and forth within that incredible Canyon that was such a surprise to me. Hope as it did in Zion it never happens here. Do not pass Boulder without riding or driving that road including the switchbacks… they are car friendly roads, a bit of washboards, not to be adventured on in rainy times.

Whenever we stopped only smells and silence prevailed. We both needed this day, it does not cease to amaze me how vast and incredible this area is. We were not prepared to camp overnight but will soon…

Have fun following the road, this is a two part mini Adventure !!!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

When a “dog hater” (as described by the Rally organizers!), an uncaring “Rally Master” and us… end up being in the same vicinity, things do not go well. I have the outmost respect for anyone that does not like dogs… as there are many flavors of Ice cream, and that is OK… but when we get insulted, well, that is not…

It was a short stay at the Beehive Beemer Rally, we met many familiar faces, made some new Friends and the good of course outweighs the bad, if only it was not for those insults and profane language I had to hear… followed by an unconcerned Rally Master, barely listening to the situation.

Nearly every story has two sides and this forum is not an appropriate place to discuss the other side of the events at the Utah Red Rock Rendezvous that resulted in Ara leaving unhappy. One can get enough of Ara's (AKA Beemerchef) one-sided account on his blog. However, attacking the rally master who is now legally blind, severely physically handicapped, and mildly mentally slow from a motorcycle accident four years ago, because he couldn't process Ara's rants fast enough is insensitive in the least if not just crude. The club's president sent Ara a very nice apology on behalf of the club for his negative experience. Ara refuses to accept anything short of a written apology from the rally master and the other attendee with which he had an argument about his dog. The other 289 attendees, including two with dogs, at the RRR rally expressed what a great rally it was and this is the first time in the nine years of the rally's existence that there has been this type of negativity. I would hope Ara would accept the apology from the club's president and put it to rest rather than continue his denigrating the hard work put in by the many volunteers who pulled off an otherwise enjoyable rally.

Alton (Al or awagnon) Wagnon

Vice President

Beehive Beemers Motorcycle Club of Utah

I have accepted Bob's appology... and was not at all aware of the Rally Master's condition, would you think I would be so insensitive? Get real! There where some great people at the Rally. Old friends, new friends for the both of us. It is unfortunate that one bad intoxicated seed caused all the trouble! This is not a place to argue about it... But it does not seem to have bothered "management" that I and my Family were verbally insulted... that is what troubled me! That is insensitive... It is water under the bridge as there was never two sides of the story having too many witnesses!... and too many members shocked themselves asking me to stay away from that individual!... No one is surprised trying "now" to try to pass me as the bad guy! You are human, it is after all a normal reaction... no problem... Life goes on...

A "dog" does speaks in barks... that is all!

322019719_fMeTK-L.jpg

*Picture above has been HDR digitally enhanced.

Up to the “T” on the Burr Trail…

We turned around at the “T” on the Burr Trail, we were not ready to go any further that day, but will next time and camp out going south to Lake Powell. There is an incredible isolation here on and off the roads. The “space” has changed, it is not Moab, it is not Monument Valley… it is an entity of its own, the closest being Valley of the Gods. Having lived on a sailboat for many years, it is as being out to sea, all alone and with a bit of constant thoughts, an inner, I might call it, “apprehension” maybe, as not to break down as these are not at all well traveled roads.

They are mostly demanding and definitely require an advance knowledge of the weather, they require much water specially being in in summer time. Tools and food a must… they stay on the rig 24/7 never unloaded, cannot afford to forget anything.

Much changes in the sceneries, rocks formations and even roads… that is what is on the Blog today…

Be well… always… Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

323260423_tox8y-L.jpg

Wodstoe, a ghost of a Ghost Town, Utah

You definitely have it all here. The Red Canyons, the flat Desert and the high altitude unpaved forest roads of the Dixie National Forest. Take your pick as we did trying to find the ghost town of Wodstoe passing right by the area that was on fire last week. From what seemed to be Wodstoe, southbound to the entrance of Bryce Canyon, a little detour while closing the loop back to Escalante to Grosvernor Arch and even as we were by then loosing the sun just a few minutes at the Kodachrome State Park where the trails are many and so are photo opportunities. Sometimes I feel as we are still scouting the area as some of them we need to go back and spend more time.

The big aspect of it all has been the lack of traffic in this area. Maybe this will all change as the Fourth of July weekend is coming up? This all feels as we are in a separate part of the World, so far from anything one might have a need for… even finding decent food sometimes is a task waiting for the days of delivery! Be well… Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

323260292_jpRK8-L.jpg

Saving Spirit and the end of “that” ride, Utah.

A reader asked me, rightly so, how it came about for Spirit and I to be together… It is amazing how some moments are never forgotten and one can relive them! It was then, 3 years have passed and I can just hope for many more to come by one day at the time.

And then the end of a great day’s ride to Gosverner Arch, a bumpy road with much washboard and deep sand combination testing again the limits of the rig with a knobby that is almost gone. We are going through rear tires a bit too fast, those knobbies disappear “like butter”, but it is our only way to handle the local back roads. Riding the black top to get to them does not help either.

Happy 4th of July to you all… be careful with that BBQ! We need to find one ourselves, it is good weather for it.

Enjoy the Blog , the long weekend… till later, you all be well.

Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

325850259_ZYYcH-L.jpg

“One door closes, another one opens up…”

If you believe in above, well, it will happen as it happens to us quite often, one reason to stay calm when some doors shut hard, the draft of Life will ajar another one fairly quickly!

The bottom line? Cost of living has tremendously gone up these past two years, in fuel, food, tire and oil changes alone the budget has been screaming! We are here to explore this incredibly large area, at the same time stumbled on a two days a week work situation that you need to read about! Just too good to pass it up… it is a Dog loving circle where… you “have” to bring your Dog to work with you! For now it is all good and will just see what happens later as the cold weathers will come back and will need to move on as we always have done… I cannot even think that far ahead… So no excuse to not stop by and see us, either in Escalante or Boulder where we will be two days a week… working hard, meaning I will… with Spirit’s supervision! As usual…

“The Burr Trail Grill and Outpost” is the name by the way…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

327267039_VSACt-L.jpg

Kodachrome Basin State Park, Utah

Hard to believe how long we have been in Utah and the discoveries just will not cease! Kodachrome Basin State Park is a “gem” to be savored, all the colors throughout the many intensities of the sun rays culminating with the incredible hues of the “pipes” and rocks at sunset makes one wonder through the photos if it is even real or Photoshoped! It is not!!! Almost fluorescent for a few moments, for the last minutes of the day they are as unseen anywhere else.

It was a hot day, a bit absent minded forgetting many things we needed, but… with a bit of imagination a couple hikes were possible!

Hope you get to experience it soon… and yes, Dogs are allowed on the trails, how refreshing.

You be well… Ara & Spirit

Pretty picture..!! Kodachrome State Park is nice. My wife and I camped there in April. It snowed about 4 inches the night before we got there. Made it even that much more beautiful. I wish I could take pictures as well as you do. The pictures would have been great after the snow.

Yes, I would love to be here when it snows... it truly would make for some great shots... and great cold!!!

329192865_VUQu6-L.jpg

Hell’s Backbone loop and bridge, Utah

A name that stands for the fact that it follows a ridge with sheer drops on each side, but also must have been given for its washboard quality unseen from my part before!

It is a spectacular trail, they say suited for a passenger car, I say “not really” unless an SUV, some good suspension and patience.

We have the company of a reader, Pete, from near San Diego, with a unique trailering device as he is riding his 1974 Honda Sabre pulling his Suzuki DR 350... You read right! 2 motorcycles, one rider on his own Journey for a month.

An unhappy “morning grouchy” Spirit… a 5am wake up call is too early for him, I will let him sleep in a bit today!

A bit wondering where winter will take us, where would be interesting good weathered lands for those cold months, the third round for us since on the road…

All in the Blog … As always, be well… Ara & Spirit

330162016_de3c5-L.jpg

Is it more than just a road? More on Hell’s Backbone… Utah

Since joining American Road Forum, the more scenic and difficult the road traveled gets, the more I want to read about it, find out its history, and cannot help thinking about its past, sometimes visualizing the hundreds of people that have built it at a time where the machinery used was definitely not what we have today! Hell’s Backbone has been one of those, specially when around a curve one can suddenly see about a mile of it as a ribbon following the curves of its mountains.

I am also finding myself having to be detached from the kitchen where I spend my first day working solo. Finding out that all these years have followed me, are still part of me. It is a great job as I have to tell myself to go in, do the work and leave without any thoughts of… improving this or that! When I see Spirit behind that screen door I am content that Karma has presented this path for us, we could not have asked for more.

I think the Blog says it all… Be well, Ara & Spirit

Vagabonding to Capitol Reef, Utah

In the beginning “nice” was having an Internet connection… today nice is taking off knowing that there will be none. “Destinations” were planned, today it is just wandering with only a eye out for the weather going the opposite direction of the clouds. There will always be a surprise in Utah that will materialize as it did these past days. It was Gooseneck Point and Capitol Reef and a nice cool shaded campground. Shade is good these days as we are entering the hottest days of the year. It makes it for interesting viewing when finally coupled with the laptop looking back at all the pictures taken.

I felt bad for some riders the other day on their way up to an Annual BMW Rally. They still had 10 days to get there but their leader never taking his helmet off while gassing up kept honking the horn while others and I where chatting and taking pictures. Memories of blurred miles markers versus seeing so much beauty they will miss… hope that some day they will slow down… Been there, done that… “this” is much nicer…

Check out the Blog … and be well, Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com

332297902_pehFm-L.jpg

333486173_2m5sK-L.jpg

A bit more of Capitol Reef, the “Grand Wash”, Utah

Great commercial shot above!… it is a great helmet with the visor really protecting from the sun quite often. One can do the “Grand Wash” in an hour or spend all day as we almost did. Walking part of it is also a great experience between the walls of this Canyon with a constant change in the rock formations and endless colors of red hues. Stay away if ever storming, you will see the signs anyhow, the flash floods must be tremendous and happens so fast.

The “space” at the campground is real peaceful and as much as I don’t care too much for them we had a great time, a social time exchanging stories with the tourists passing by. Spirit of course is always the highlight, myself… more and more I feel as a Travel or Tour Guide agent! It has been nice to share the little bit of knowledge I have acquired from Utah…

Enjoy the Blog … and till next time you all be well.

Ara & Spirit

334570005_7ih82-L.jpg

Into the Gorge of Capitol Reef, Utah

The incredible sceneries do not stop in Utah. Water sure has created so much, so many Canyons that we can actually ride through, Canyons where in the past recent years “humans” have worked hard at it for our vehicles to witness what has taken so many years to accomplish. The “Gorge” at Capitol Reef is definitely one of those places where one can spend much time as we did when we arrived into it before sunrise, one of the best times of the day.

The ride out of Capitol Reef through Dixie National Forest is always also so spectacular, more and more I feel as being in another part of the world as traffic is almost inexistent and slowly one can feel detached from it all, “all” being the outside World.

Spirit is doing great, we are not hitting hot spots anymore, keeping the hiking mainly in the early mornings or late afternoon and looking for some shade during the day.

Pictures? Too many really… for sure some great memories we will have.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Pictures

335642668_KUaXs-L.jpg

Bad weather is here… Utah.

Suddenly outdoor activities are a bit curtailed. We have been so fortunate throughout all this time to not really having bad weather which would hold us back from the road. But here it is… Still, not getting to adventurous, we managed to ride a bit of Hole in the Rock Road where we did not even make it to Devil’s Garden… The washboard situation almost becomes a nightmare… fast or slow the fear comes up that something is definitely going to break! Slow turns out to be a better solution and then we have a bit of engine overheat.

Will be going back to Moab in a couple days to meet a Friend which we have never met… Hope that makes sense… the wonders of the Internet! All should be cleared up by then and I think even Spirit will be ready… he is always ready!

Some dark clouds … followed by a downpour all night… That is what we got!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

339011372_Uzsxq-L.jpg

A visit in Moab with my Friend Paul, Utah

The heat, the humidity and jungle like bugs made our stay in Moab a difficult experience for the both of us. We talked much, cooked much and saw a few sights including getting ourselves up to some cooler elevations doing the loop through La Salle mountains. I would however, difficult or not, do it again as I took away with me some valuable perspective about my own insight regarding how to deal with Life within these times where the heart will never be complete but the mind and spirit needs to go on. It is as a new chapter has made its way into my days, a challenge that needs to be won…

A couple Blogs actually have been posted since I have written here as time did not allow it.

You be well… till next time, enjoy.

Ara & Spirit

As always great pictures and tails Ara!

I got back from a trip out that way a couple of weeks ago and am just bustin to get back out there again.

I took the trip just myself and man was it wonderful! Perhaps the draw that Utah and the four courners area has on me is the times and places of solitude and beauty.

Take care, William

Hi William... if you come back and we are still around let us know! It is hard to leave Utah... unless you seen it all... and that never happens!

340623358_JJwaF-L-1.jpg

A familiar face and a bit of Bryce Canyon, Utah

Always nice to see a familiar face specially when one cannot remember when was the last time… It seems that it was Naples, Florida, while cooking a special dinner for some Friends we have in common. On his own Journey from Canada, Louis and a couple of his riding Friends stopped by overnight… for an evening of true comedy, laughter and a local dinner.

Awaiting for another Friend from Louisiana this time we could not go too far. Bryce Canyon was the perfect place to spend a day riding and taking pictures before the daily monsoon arrived. Of course we barely got wet as usual, just a nice needed cooling off.

It truly felt more being in Europe while in the Park, it is an amazing feeling not to hear English being spoken anymore!

Enjoy the pictures and a bit of Geology…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

342007842_h5eBQ-L-1.jpg

Another Friend, a new Slot Canyon and an abused Spirit! Utah…

Yes, I am enjoying entertaining and playing the guide, the cook and bottle washer… all at the same time. As myself when in a new area I like to discover my surrounding through my own senses, I don’t say much, only make a route and let Mother Nature do the rest. As we are slower than two wheels, specially in the curves, I told Brian to go ahead till he reached a meeting point. But he stayed behind for most of the time finding out that “it is nice to slow down and actually see the surroundings…”. A mental and physical break for sure only leaving some good memories.

The ride, the day and the meals including another form of stew and breakfast with great coffee was memorable for the both of us. Always a stew?… a one pan meal? There is not much around here at the local Grocery store… really not much.

Not to be mean… I love Spirit… but we were in laughter when 6 other dogs started abusing him… His reaction? A firm “enough is enough!” as the little guys flew away… literally!

That picture is on the Blog...

Be well… always. Ara & Spirit

343358339_sggK5-L-1.jpg

On the road to “Cedar Breaks”, Utah…

Some feel good at home, in an “established” environment… walls… windows and doors. More and more I feel as my “home” is the road and its shoulders. We cannot forget the shoulders! They are meeting points, they are as sightseeing platforms for the multitude of personalities and vehicles going by. A shoulder is where I met Joe rollerblading across the country, also Joff on his penny-farthing around the world, bicyclists, walkers… you name it. The shoulders have been where names and e mail addresses have been exchanged, hands shaken. They are the spots where Spirit makes himself comfortable, drinks his water and does his thing! Sometimes we will even meet a reader and surprise them… sometimes another rider with a flat and even as a few days ago the Goldwing riders all set up for lunch with table and all! You add a beautiful road as the one we took passing by Lake Penguitch to Cedar break and that about sums it up… The roads are “ Home ”!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

343352282_w9A4p-L-2.jpg

More of Cedar Breaks, Utah…

The longer we are on the road, the more I want to go back to older technology. Honestly. I have been on WI FI lately and today trying out my normal connection through the Dish as we will use this winter when headed south to more… Desert, well, it is slow compared. I have been spoiled… All has changed so much it seems like. I would even settle for a couple horses and a buggy if needed. But those are dreams, I think.

The cause of it might be all the sights we are seeing lately, specially Cedar Breaks… such beauty in such an unexpected place which suddenly is there with no warning as was the Grand Canyon and many other wonders.

We also went to our first Farmer’s Market the other day… not much available yet and… expensive! What are they thinking I wonder… but we bought a couple things and the ride sure was nice in this cool early morning and a sky guiding us with the sun rays.

Some colorful times!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

347005089_YjjcN-L.jpg

More Friends visiting, Utah…

Even for those that have seen Utah, this area astonishes them with its incredibly vast spaces and raw beauty. I am even myself starting to feel isolated from the rest of the country when trying to ride roads we have yet to be on. There are just so many and when Friends visit, it is always such a big choice. Burr Trail has become a Classic in my book and every time we leave I am already thinking about coming back. I am glad that they left yesterday as suddenly the weather has changed and I learned from other travelers that the roads I took them on already had knee high water from flash floods.

Thinking about slowly heading south. The food situation here is pathetic… One store, which has truly nothing! Not even a decent potato! I wonder what the locals do? I was going to ask the owner, but then again what for!

Spirit even is into his down time. I don’t like it as he needs the exercise, as I myself do. Maybe a couple more days and all will clear up. Glad to have taken this ride, now a memory on the Blog .

Be well… Ara & Spirit

348166016_EcYvc-L.jpg

Calf Creek hike, Utah

We have been camped out at the same spot for a while now. Considering there are so many destinations within a few hundred miles with the ability to travel lightly, the past few weeks have been great. But southern heat or not, untraveled roads, it is time to move on and bite into deeply the adventures and new horizons waiting for us. The feeling for so many taking roots I know is always a comfort, it only works the other way for us. How strange, moving on is comfortable. Always curious what is over the next Mountain, the end of that road facing us, the other side of the curve we cannot quite see from here.

The weather pattern has always been fine in the mornings and severely dark by afternoon. We both finally got soaked yesterday from the rain and the hail riding back from the 6 mile hike to the Lower Falls of Calf Creek. Too lazy to put on the rain pants!

Live and learn. Enjoy the hike

Be well… Ara & Spirit

...it is all on SmugMug