IGNORED

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey on the road...

beemerchef

434404755_JMU7i-L.jpg

A new Christmas Tradition, Tx

So there is a story that goes about a “rock soup”. There was nothing to cook with, so rocks went into the pot and slowly everyone threw in something eatable and the soup appeared!

Kind of like that… We will be christening the new fire pit this Saturday and I will be offering some soup and bread, even dessert cooked in the fire. It is actually a Christmas memory as I did the same thing about 30 years ago or more… It has been a full circle.

“Old Faithful” also is getting ready for the road. The extra fuel and water situation is taken care off, now waiting for a couple parts, cracked luggage rack and leaky oil filler ring. Small items but needing attention.

Spirit? Happy as ever running full blast on this new path that I have been clearing, he has switched to a stick now… often not the same! “treats good” he keeps telling me…

More on the Blog … in a few more words.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com our website and Blog

437025658_GRLv7-L.jpg

Some days are better than others… Tx.

I can only wish for everyone to have such a day during your Holidays whichever environment you might be in, urban or amongst Mother Nature as those warm and fuzzy feelings of Friendships are all within. From preparing our “rock soup” on the fire, to baking our bread for all to share, every step only brought us all closer together with ourselves and amongst us.

Like a magnet for our souls, the “fire ring” has been the center of our get together to celebrate this first “Christmas Tradition”. Complemented by a short drive to an empty creek bed for “rock hunting”, a bit then further to discover the most beautiful “swimming hole” I have ever experienced, to some cooked on coals stuffed bananas, conversations with no end bringing us from all walks of Life together… what more can I say? Even Spirit and Heidi blending in throughout these hours of joy and togetherness, it has been the perfect day. The greatest Christmas present we could have ever received. You cannot buy it, lease it or rent it… you cannot even borrow it… you have to make it! There are a couple new entries on the Blog hoping they reflect your own good times. Be well… always. Ara & Spirit

(RSS feed subscription, bottom of each Blog will avoid you to miss any…)

438649439_Sy9dV-L.jpg

My imaginary bridge, Tx.

These times, specially for me, brings much reflection to all days, past and present, not much for the future however. I let those guide themselves as they will anyhow. We have been spending much time at this “swimming hole” lately. I won’t tell you where it is, however when you visit, I will take you there. Every square inch is a work of Art, so much that I just cannot imagine how it all came about, the shapes, the crevasses, the waves and smoothness within the rocks, it is such eye candy that we sit there for hours and this time wrote down some of my thoughts.

The road leading is good, a bit washy at the end as I managed to take a little detour without any problems.

The weather has been cooperating as never before. It was over 80 degrees today, for the first time I was “hot”, amazing for December.

It is time to get the tent up again and let Old Faithful point into a direction…

More on the Blog

Be well… Ara & Spirit

440067084_NJXL5-L.jpg

The Main Ingredients… Tx

I guess it is bound to happen throughout these Holidays with the gazillions packages crisscrossing the country, to receive someone else’s merchandise! Twice… It is also amazing that little parts can hold up the big parts from moving too far… as well as they should anyhow, such as a camera and a bike.

So we wait and taste the local flavors always abundant, there is always something going on in this part of the country as long as one is willing to go the extra mile. And if nothing is happening, someone will make it happen and we will know about it very quickly.

Last night was a “Science Art Show”, or something like that… maybe called “Weird Art”? The highlight was worth the wait, three Fire Dancers with a great show backed by the sound of drums and music.

I have been thinking also a lot about the ready made, right here, free for the taking “ingredients” we use daily…

More on the Blog

Be well… Ara & Spirit

441550951_czjCz-L.jpg

On with Christmas, Tx

Very fitting to witness a Nativity live scene in Alpine, even if the temperatures were below freezing. That is when a car is used… how nice! Four wheels and a roof, they even come with a heater! In the meantime in Terlingua, on a Friend’s property, Roger aka “UNCLE”, riders from all over Texas and further are flocking in for what now seems to be an annual pilgrimage to Big Bend. They have been welcomed by the cold snap but all this will change by tomorrow when we get up into the 70’s for some great riding. We have visitors from England on their way to no destination on their own two wheels. They have brightened up the moments spend together with much laughter and a positive attitude so needed throughout these Holidays. It is as we have been transported into a more jovial space as we will even attend a Christmas evening gathering with the same cast of characters where even Spirit is welcome to attend… so important to be around such dog friendly Friends as he is more than ever part of this Life of mine.

Always more on the Blog … where the chapters only increases by the day!

Be well… Ara & Spirit “HAPPY AND HEALTHY HOLIDAYS”

442997399_zNhyT-L.jpg

And it was Christmas Day, Tx

I can only hope that everyone has had a Christmas Eve and Day as fulfilled as ours, surrounded by a great presence with its true meaning unlike a commercial that would only run for 60 seconds. I was dreading these times filled with the memories passed with Lance as they are these past years, missing him does not begin to express my inner feelings. But again, Friends, my adopted Family, they all have come forward and let us in within their grasp without a single moment of despair, only laughter, great food and great times. This was in itself the greatest Gift we could receive as more and more I realize that true Gifts of Life are never purchased but passed on by kind and caring Human Beings as it should be. We rode next door, we rode to Terlingua to meet some riders gathered as they do every year at “Uncle”, we went then north for more food, just an excuse for great company. Even Santa visited us yesterday, imagine that, in the middle of nowhere… Santa’s appaearance! Where else could this happen?

Enjoy the Blog … we sure did its contents!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

444203367_4hJCz-L.jpg

Big Bend’s Hot Springs, Tx

So we went to the wrong Hot Springs? Not really… the weather early morning did not allow us to leave, turning to an icicle going down the road was only an option when I was young. The Big Bend Hot Springs are also so much worth their visit. The path leading to it is a magical one displaying its geological age counted in the millions. Remains of the old buildings which were once a “Spa” (!!!) are still standing, their grounds covered with mud from the recent water overflow and now dry and weathered as the skin of a thousand year old being. It was short and sweet, dogs of course are not allowed on the trails and I don’t care for leaving Spirit behind by himself too long. He might get bored!!!

Today is a different story, the winds have died, the sun is hot and my buddy is baking in the sun for his beauty rest of course with no help whatsoever throughout my continuous packing of “Old Faithful”. Tomorrow looks very promising…

More photos on the Blog , don’t miss it if in the area.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

446429471_pVrbX-L.jpg

Big Bend “State Park”. Tx

Wishing everyone a “Happy New Year” filled with much Health and well being inside out.

We just returned from quite an experience in Big Bend “State Park”, not the “National Park”. Amazed at so few people around, and then again we ourselves had never been there and to get there is a lengthy process. The prize at the end is more than worth it, specially if one likes to ride, drive, on dirt road of much variety. From maintained all the way to some leading to primitive campsites where you will need a permit and a very high clearance 4x4 vehicle. Tires? 2 spares is a good idea, a very good one as we had a flat and left open to no spare. One needs to also stop in Presidio for fuel before going in. Besides that there is water, great home cooked meals, hot showers and… even WI FI! Not the greatest but it works for e mails fairly well.

Some of the adventure, the first part, is on the Blog .

Be well, Ara & Spirit

447988133_QWPh6-L.jpg

More of Big Bend “State Park”. Tx

Back and settled here again at “The Oasis” we are now waiting for some parts for a bit more improved camping. Tent stakes, tire tubes, anything that we cannot purchase here and has to come through the mail. The Park is definitely a destination to go back to, so Dog Friendly that Spirit even thinks so.

The weather has warmed up here, in the eighties today, I am sure when we are ready to take off for Death Valley it will get colder… Murphy’s Law! Bikes run better in cold weather anyhow.

Those were some good days, quiet, great view and great space to spend some time even if it was a bit short for us.

On another front, a rescued Pit “Jasmine” has made the cover of Sport’s Illustrated and that is great news for all Spirit’s cousins as you need to see the photo of another Pit published 22 years ago. Night and day…

Till next time… be well.

Ara & Spirit

449961346_URs3h-L.jpg

The faces of Terlingua, Tx.

If the tale is right, if it is good luck to eat black eye peas on the first of the New Year, well then 2009 should glide by us in flying colors. There was no lack of the many dishes displayed at the Porch in Terlingua on the First. I even made my own the next day to feed Spirit some, after all, he also deserves all the luck he can get.

It was a great day, I like its custom, everyone very colorful, wearing great smiles and even though we are not in Terlingua, or Alpine for that matter, I felt part of a great community.

Today is errands in Alpine, trying to get it all together for us to leave this coming weekend for Death Valley as I am drawn to it at this time of the year. We have never really explored that area and the anticipation to familiarize myself as I have with other spaces is keeping me going.

I hope the weather helps us out, I am looking forward to its photography as much as the riding and learning of its history and geology. Who knows how long we will be gone, no definite plans as usual.

Some faces of Terlingua on the Blog… Be well, always…

Ara & Spirit

451589614_TvayV-L.jpg

The “Closed Canyon”. Tx

Another destination which was a discovery to me. As always a nice ride on River Road and past Lajitas this jewel of a Canyon, an easy hike with narrow passages, beautiful multi color walls with a spirit of its own when one thinks about the years it has taken to be carved with each flash floods. Square miles and more square miles surrounds us, the new sights are never missing throughout our days of this Journey.

Right now also we have the pleasant experience of a visitor, Kristi, and Adventurer herself and a great rider along with also her cameras to capture her own Journey. It is a good time specially when being around another rider that enjoys photography as much as I do, showing her the sights of the unbeaten paths, the ones not many will see while here only for a few days.

This pushes away a bit our own departure for Death Valley by a couple days, we are not on a schedule… eventually that road will present itself for the taking.

Enjoy the photos of the “Closed Canyon…”

Be well, as always… Ara & Spirit

453168594_8HHUt-L.jpg

5 Years ago…

Sometimes the mind has its own complicated way of moving along. On the road some markers will come up without a warning bringing up memories of past years, specially when within the month marking an Anniversary. Such is Life I keep telling myself as time passes by, there is no detour trying to avoid the thoughts, and writing about them helps somehow making it through the faced harder times.

With a Friend visiting and much riding to show her the out of the way sights that numbers this backyard of ours, an Old Movie set seems to have pushed a start switch as if 5 year old film started to roll. Writing is such a therapy for me, specially when the words keep talking back, specially when a good Friend is present loaning her share of support. The exchange of thoughts and words heard makes it all a smoother time, so gladly welcomed.

My Blog was never meant to be a ride report or a Dog show, or for that matter sometimes a cooking show and I am thankful for that… It is just another Life story that seem to be rolling on with the punches.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

453842313_SmEjo-L.jpg

The Makings of a Friend, Tx

Riding and photography are two hobbies generally spend with time alone, in our case anyhow as so few can have the patience for each other. They are both a mind set when we try to get into that space and close all foreign elements to enable us reaching a sense of accomplishment and pleasure. Of course tastes differs.

It was a surprise to meet a Friend, send here by another reader, enjoying the same thoughts as I have and sharing some of the off beaten path spaces around this area.

There is so much to see and feel that one needs to forget the quantity, forget time and enjoy instead the quality of the moment. That is exactly what we accomplished for three days.

The Indian Trail, the “swimming hole”, River Rd and an old now battered movie set, they were all our destinations throughout these shortened and cold days.

Neither of us are use to any company really, but I have to admit that being on the same wave length as someone else made those three days very pleasant.

More on the Blog

Be well… Ara & Spirit

455552542_owBVr-L.jpg

Time to “reboot“, Tx

When one meets and finds Friendship awakening long lost feelings of happiness, that “one” being “myself”, I can only find it proper to dedicate my thoughts on this Blog to her, my Friend being Kristi, having spend a few days here, in this calm “Oasis” of ours poking the mind to find a better balance.

She is gone now, back to her own Life, we are here now back to what I feel will be a new Life on higher grounds wearing a bigger smile. The smiles were complemented yesterday by riding a new road which the locals call “Valley of the Moon” passing by “Ice Cream Mountain”. More Masterpieces from the hands of Mother Nature working so hard to show us the beauty that surrounds us.

The road leading was an easy one in most places, a bit more challenging crossing a few dry creek beds, sometimes having to walk it first considering the fact that turning the hack around is a more difficult task than when being on two wheels.

The Treasures are all around us, again this was out of the beaten path, as we like it.

Enjoy the Photos

Be well, Ara & Spirit

456840239_cChnn-L.jpg

The Ghost Town of Shafter, Tx

A beautiful day, 300 miles of blue ribbon roads, a Ghost Town to wander with camera and senses in hand, Spirit in a jovial mood… what else can one wish for winter times?

I like Ghost Towns, they make me think a lot as they also make me imagine the past lives living on the same very same steps I take. Shafter also has a great Memorial Historical building always open with many photos hanging, stories as one could spend hours feeling part of it all.

We are taking off tomorrow morning for a couple weeks to the Hill Country. It is that time, cold or not, they called us… Del Rio first and then on north to some spaces we have been told to not miss. Have to be back by the 3rd for a Doctor’s appointment and then it will be on to Death Valley for February. They say it is good month for it. I am sure I will find Internet connections as we go along, but activating RSS feed is always the sure way to keep up with the Blog which I voice tape while traveling and eventually type with some strange results sometimes. We also have been loaned a SPOT for “help”, “emergencies” and also the tracking feature has been enabled. The link is on the Blog .

Be well… give us a wave! Ara & Spirit

459236784_5vpuw-L.jpg

To the Texas Hill Country, Tx

Being here now, in Leaky, after a not so good first 24hrs through Del Rio, how can one not fall in love with the area! We had never been here before and now I want to know all the back roads, the dirt roads, every single little town with it’s history, geology, you name it. I understand why everyone comes riding here, they are also perfect roads for a little bit of fun with the sidecar as the curves not being as tight as in Georgia, North Carolina or adjacent States. They are perfect. Many streams, rivers, photo opportunities, with clear waters in transparency with their bottom painted in their multitude colors of sand and erosion.

The people are the nicest they can be, we are having a great experience at the “Camp Live Oak” a couple miles north where they let us camp, use their power and WI FI, even feeding me these both nights! And yet, we are traveling I feel at fast speeds as we will head east tomorrow a bit to meet some Friends for a few days. The taste of the Hills has now been acquired! We shall return again soon.

Be well… always. Ara & Spirit

462103032_xqrEK-L.jpg

Houston, Tx

And why not? I received an e mail yesterday from a reader totally amazed to the fact that we could even be near by Houston. Picking our days we actually spend most of Saturday and Sunday downtown with my Friend Kristi playing the landscape, the skyscraper lines, the moving targets, all with our cameras in front of a dreary background as the weather has turned cold and gray.

Surrounded by her Family when back in her lively home, it has been time to do much cooking, conversations, a taste of an urban Life that both Spirit and I have been bypassing for a long time now. We will start heading back west soon, more Hill Country as we have barely skimmed the surface. Life on the road, a multi direction voyage never ceasing to surprise myself on a daily basis.

The sidecar rig has been in the garage, Old Faithful is resting for these couple days as she is nearing her 200,000 mile mark.

Enjoy the photos, they are of the Hills in the Blog .

Be well… Ara & Spirit

463417118_MFx4o-L.jpg

Riding back to “The Oasis”…

Cold snap, night time ice, a couple more days in the Hills. Seems to have to order tires every time I turn around, hopefully they will meet us soon to enable us to take off for Death Valley within ten days at the most. We had much fun downtown Houston, I will have to remember that any Big City can be fun on the weekend when the streets are fairly deserted. The gray skies those two days have added another dimension to all these man made masses of cement, metal and glass standing in front of us. There is an Artistry to it, nothing in my eyes however comparable to Nature itself.

We should be back most likely Friday, I can taste the space awaiting us, same as I will be able to again taste the roads once out of “The Oasis”. It is always the same story! When here, want to be there… when there, want to be here. Trying to keep the balance of it all.

Today we rode “Old Tunnel Rd”, “Grapetown Rd” and “Willow City loop. Endless incredible roads, not much for photography however. Enjoy downtown Houston

Be well… Ara & Spirit

465662377_Zm57g-M.jpg

The short way back… Tx

More roads in the Hill Country discovered and put aside for the next round when not under a time restrain. The variety is intense. Some great for riding and some incredible for both riding and photography. Will try to make it back when the wild flowers are blooming making the shoulders and waterfalls of the rivers flowing through some, I am sure, incredible backdrops.

The ride back yesterday was pleasant with a tail wind that moved us smoothly here to “The Oasis” which always welcomes us with open arms.

We are again surrounded by the serenity and silence of the Big Bend Valley.

We rode and stopped in Fredericksburg to look at the old buildings and weathered old doors and stones, we photographed “Stonehenge” and ate the best BBQ I have ever had at “Cooper’s” in Llano. Trying not to look at the photos I took while eating, what a shame it is not next door specially that Spirit also totally agreed with my taste buds.

More photos on the Blog... Be well, Ara & Spirit

466999614_4vUPd-L.jpg

Before Death Valley…

Incessant questions arises always within down time as we have been back to “The Oasis” after experiencing a few pages of the “urban” chapter of this Journey. This “is” the space to think truly, amazingly a fact I had not expected when deciding to base camp here for most of the winter. It is all good…

This might be our last day before leaving tomorrow for Death Valley. Something new… we will take the Freeway all the way! Not an attraction for sure but I just want to get there as back roads will take us over a month knowing very well how distracted I can be! 300 miles or so per day, about 140 miles the last day, we should arrive in 4 days. Never planned a route as I have this time, feels a bit strange, will see how it works out. We will probably stay a month or so, plenty of time to get familiar with the area, listen to I am sure some great tips as to where to go and not. Stovewell Campground at first till we discover better primitive camping areas. Our SPOT will be turned on, not too exciting however the first days!

Some more photos of our last adventures are on the Blog .

Be well…. Ara & Spirit

468868531_LWapz-L.jpg

Freeways to Death Valley…

Texas to New Mexico was great as after arriving in Van Horn we were able to stay on the back roads all the way to El Paso which we bypassed. And then… now in Casa Grande we had to bite the bullet and ride the Freeway. Of course Murphy’s Law gave us a heavy nose wind dropping us down to 60mph at times and a great upper body work out! It lightened up, started over for some reason every time I read the “dust storm might form” big yellow sign! So it is par for the course. 470 miles from Death Valley right now tomorrow will put us close only if we stop… stopping so often! Old Faithful is doing well, she just turned 200,000 miles today, amazing machine with a unique soul she has been.

Calling for some storms tomorrow maybe while going through Las Vegas, we are well protected, 100% waterproof, except for gloves…

Off the Freeway photos on the Blog

Till next time, from Death Valley, be well…

Ara & Spirit

472475713_ozbnG-L.jpg

Elevation “Zero”… Death Valley, Ca

Isolation makes it hard to post anything on the Internet, but somehow always manage to do so for my Blog. Slow, very slow connection is making it almost impossible for Forums. RSS feed (bottom of Blog opening page) and yet still checking the Blog every two to three days will be the only way throughout these times for anyone to stay with us!

One of the worse storm they have ever experienced has come through here a couple days ago. Most the non paved roads are closed, our stay might be a bit shorter as even when opening the grounds will be too soft and muddy for us to ride on.

Mother Nature sure has painted some beautiful images surrounding us throughout this vast and past Ocean bottom. A full Moon rising makes it all even better with temperatures a bit on the chilly side but tolerable.

The Dunes and other spaces photographed are on the Blog and recent past archives.

Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit

475566174_pCacA-L.jpg

Mother Nature’s arms, Death Valley, Ca

Couple Blogs later I now have down time to post here a bit more while on our way back to “The Oasis”. It has been rough, cold, windy… I have to use the word “miserable”!!! Luckily with good Friends here in Kingman trying to regroup for the last 900 miles that will take us back I hope to some warmer and calmer weather. What was I thinking traveling in this fashion in the middle of winter? A miracle maybe! Overseeing what was within us in Texas to reach some spaces the wrong time of the year. I think I will kiss the grounds when we get back. We did manage to check out Dante’s peak, the outside only of Scotty’s Castle as coyotes in the parking lot would not cohabitate too well with Spirit while I took a tour. National Parks are so tough for us that we will have to avoid them in the future. There is still besides them many sights awaiting us where dogs are welcome and not frowned upon. More on the Blog

Be well, always. Ara & my buddy Spirit

479471005_Yn38E-M-1.jpg

A slight detour and some Bloody Mary mix, Tx

Back at the Oasis, finally catching up with all the good stuff one has to in front of this screen that keeps staring at me. We end up taking a detour through the Texas Hills as again cold weather came upon us the last night camping at Garner State Park. My Friend Kristi and her daughter invited us for a couple days, as always excellent company and much photography. 23 degrees the last night spend… the handicap heated shower stall was a great idea… to sleep in. Just in case someone else comes across this peculiar situation. Till morning anyhow when the toilets started flushing!

Always great roads to ride, great food at BJ’s and Lost Maple Cafe, priced cheaper than home cooking. Much photography due to low waters and the many rocks and tree trunks dispersed within the creeks.

It feels good to be warm again here, high of 82 the temp said, short sleeve T shirt and no wool cap is more my speed and Spirit’s also since shedding his winter coat due to defending our campsite from Mr Skunk.

More on the Blog , actually a couple posted Blogs.

Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit

479926386_Fben3-L.jpg

Resting the old bones in Big Bend! Tx

With the temp hitting 100 yesterday, finally the bones are starting to thaw out from the frost that had penetrated them the past couple weeks. 100 felt pretty decent I must admit to my surprise, “hey sun”… bring it on I kept thinking, one more refill please and I will take yet another one today.

I am all ears from my readers toward unknown destinations when Spring comes. We are done with “tourist traps” even as magnificent some marvels of Nature can be. We are done with “National Parks” having Spirit frowned upon, only maybe riding through them for a few photos. Every corner of this country has a story and so do people we meet. I feel as on a new venture trying to put it all in perspective, blending both into one big basket of thoughts, photos and stories. An old building, an old bridge, old cars abandoned rusting away, a hill and a valley, a canyon or flat land, every square inch and its inhabitants have witnessed times past worth discovering. Exciting times ahead as is also the present now back at “The Oasis ”.

You be well always… Ara & Spirit

481776677_ynYeR-L.jpg

Back in the Saddle, Texas

Ah! Texas… cook outs, “tis” the season of them all. Socializing in these desolate vast areas in a busier fashion as even before. We have not even gone spend much time yet in Terlingua as time is spend around here cooking and eating and of course chatting with neighbors. Neighbors seemingly inexistent, but, that is only imagination as they are around and like wild fire the words spreads fast when a cook out will be happening. Everyone has their own kit! It seems as I should now have my own as I have been bailed out a couple times already! Silverware, napkins and cooler ready for the ice and beverages of choice. Water has always been ours… Spirit and I drink out of the same source, a simplicity that follows us.

Plans are unmade, for some reason that will always remain unknown, the destinations near by are pushed away for the next day or so, a funny thing while camping you here.

Cooking outdoor is an art I am learning, witnessing bread made out of Dutch Ovens and for that matter anything else going on those plates.

More of it on the Blog

Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit

484078896_BRaYf-L.jpg

400 Chapters, 900 days later… from Texas

Miles? How many States? I don’t know. I don’t keep track. Meaningless truly if the importance is on sitting on that saddle and letting the mile markers go by to only increase the volume of the unseen roads. The above numbers only interest me as marking a symbol of days past within a mind that hopefully has risen to a better stage in this Life of ours. It is time passed, used, they are the words written, spoken to myself, sunrises and sunsets all with their own fingerprint of the day.

We took off in search of wildflowers yesterday. False alarm? Almost… Yet a few on the path to the Hot Springs within Big Bend Park. The ocotillos should be blooming soon and so are many others hopefully. It will be a landscape smorgasbord I am sure.

Just hanging out as they say. Enjoying the warm weather here, Spirit as usual clowning around big time every morning, and often again cooking on the fire, that circle that has become my center of the Universe where I can go sit and ponder about this Journey.

The rest of the story is on the Blog

Be well, always and “thank you” for being with us.

Ara & Spirit

486243142_goDtQ-L-2.jpg

More company at the swimming hole… Texas

When someone “new” comes along visiting the area, my first thought is always the “swimming hole”. Camera in hand for the zillionth time I manage to find a few square inches of Art Mother Nature has managed to carve for us and leave behind, for only the time being. It will change I know by next year or maybe a few more ahead of us. We had never witnessed a sunset at the swimming hole as we did this last time a couple days ago. The light is lost very early because of the hills westward, but yet, the plays of the shadows made it for an interesting outing.

We rode around with a Friend from Germany hiking the area and for the first time Spirit had to share his car. He was the perfect gentleman as we both are, I do have to say however that he is happy to get it back for himself! My buddy Spirit… he will never cease to amaze me.

The photos are on the Blog … enjoy and be well.

Ara & Spirit

487789470_JxbLb-L.jpg

I am still trying to find it… Texas

Reading some of “Dewitt Jones” articles has really opened up some comprehension toward the parallelism of traveling, photography and Life itself.

“Creativity is the ability to see the extraordinary”

It brings along also the notion to the fact there is never only the one answer to our path, as there is not just one great photo or just one greatest route one should travel on.

Intersections are of so many on all those given aspects that surrounds us. Intersections are fun because one can come back and yet have more ways to go. Taking a photo only inches away from the previous one makes it a totally different often image.

We spend a couple days riding by the “landmarks” as I call them, we have been by so many times but never taken the time to stop. We did this time, and yet there will be more.

It is a side of this area that maybe even if you have come and visited you probably never noticed… It took me a long time to do so myself.

Be well, always. Ara & Spirit

488172967_r9qVn-L-1.jpg

Big Bend

Big Bend Valley… Texas

Just depicting a bit of the Life here when one decides to get rooted for the winter time avoiding bad weather further north. The comfort of it’s space is in the soul. Spirit himself feels free around here, this is his turf, his territory, his “place” where he will point his ears toward “anything” that moves within a distance I cannot even see it’s end. It is not for everyone. As today having to get water 28 miles away, propane, food, laundry… all surrounded now with familiar faces inducing much chatting as always, including finding out the latest and the newest articles of Life surrounding us. The physical aspect of it all is such a small price to pay for the reward laid out and free for the taking. Compromises are originally of many, and yet, as time passes by they do not even feel as such, only becoming what I would call normal and enjoyable exercises good for the body anyhow. Old dwellings are still here, they are a remainder of a not so distant past only guessing their stories of others having maybe moved or moved in even further… Unlike other geographical areas where they might be a sight for sore eyes, I find them provocative from times ago.

Big Bend Valley… unlike any other…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Edited by beemerchef

490558882_a9mjj-XL.jpg

The Day I said “no”… Texas

Third day in, bad weather and yet so beautifully laid out. Of course we could get all geared up and confront the sprinkles, fog, icy cold streams blowing right and left, but we have been staying in, trying to catch up with various forgotten aspects of this Journey. And then of course the mind, a bit stagnant, starts it’s wandering throughout the images of the past, memories of not too long ago, specially when Friends bring up a situation I in similarity also lived through.

It is always “if I only knew”… I know it becomes an impasse, a place to not even dare visit, but I do, sometimes. They bring up the colors and even the smells of the past, they teach me to maybe have a bit more awareness for the future, at least I think they do.

I can only try over and over.

The images today are of a young racer, Brandon, and his wonderful Father, Brian, both as one supporting each other throughout this passion we call “motorcycle riding”.

The images of the past are what they could have been of today‘s… but are not. The deck of cards was full, I just pulled the wrong one!

491865117_jXers-L.jpg

Another day through Big Bend… Texas

With one million acres laid out ahead of us, only a few miles away from “The Oasis”, a Lifetime is not going to be enough to explore it all. And so we keep going back, often without truly a destination in mind, maybe often following Spirit’s own nose pointing. Why not! My favorite however has always been Sotol Look Out and the Rio Grande River, an area where the banks have moved around since the last floods not long ago.

With it’s tall cliffs, a road that has now been cleared, flowers blooming finally announcing Spring around the corner, we had a fine day, a fine long day with the sunshine hanging out for the extra hours this landscape deserves.

This morning, today, it will be a different scenery as we are taking off for Odessa for one more medical check up. The news have been good as I have managed to bring down my cholesterol and triglyceride levels under 200. It gives me hope that this coming summer will not be a struggle in the Health department of this Journey.

More on the Blog

Be well, always…

Ara & Spirit

495651624_E4PZr-L.jpg

This first day of Spring…

A new page, a new feel, roads yet not taken I feel are awaiting on this first warmer day welcoming us with open arms.

Too much riding lately, as if there is such a thing!

A couple Blogs have been posted with not much time in between… just writing and photos, day after day they are as being transferred from my soul into the pages that keep accumulating to no end.

Road conditions as I found out have changed to the better giving us a chance to ride them with more comfort. Such is Old Maverick Rd, a pleasant surprise. Happy within our own space, however the external dealings sometimes do not create the same results such as with Kiowa Gallery in Alpine taking down my photos without letting me know, for now a month. They do not go hand in hand with “Cowboy Poetry Nights” that took place a while back… That is what I was told finally when discovering such a fact… Life will be Life always dealing with people’s games they play when the word “business” shows up, I still believe in a hand shake… Right or wrong, that is how I now feel… a bit burned about it all.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

*RSS feed as we move on will always let you know about new postings…

498009485_RwMwo-L.jpg

An eternal circle, Texas

Deeply engaged in a phone conversation, two strangers pull up and start unloading some wood into my existing pile… I am sure this does not happen every day! The rest of the afternoon was a wide open door of a classroom with so much learned from Mike and Louise, 2 free spirited souls on the road now for 14 months. Yes, there are a few of us, vagabonds, travelers, with no roots deeply embedded into only one space. We drag those roots instead and Mother Nature is our textbook, daily, no bells and no whistles, no clock but only tests moments after moments while we learn to survive within this huge mansion which offers us so much wealth and a self recognition unlike any other space.

We have a new addition now to the fire ring that will enable us to cook and have a fire all at the same time. I learned about Wildlife Refuge areas, I even have a new book on how to cook with a Dutch Oven the day we purchase one. New routes from others are like finding gold on this Journey, we have now become even richer!

Amazing how priorities can change, it feels as it’s pyramid has been reversed 180 degrees!!!

Be well… enjoy the Blog … Ara & Spirit

499040867_zZybD-L-1.jpg

Black Gap WMA… Texas

The old saying “It is the Journey and not the destination” applies so well here, and yet, the destination is also one we will return to, as getting caught a bit too short throughout the day. Too much chatting… People met are becoming an important facet of our perpetual unmarked and unplanned route. Peaceful and Friendly souls appear as we suddenly realize what makes our World go around. It is “people” value as I know and always think we cannot buy, lease it or rent it!

That was the case when we stopped in “Stillwell” before getting into the Wilderness area of Black Gap, 100,000 plus acres of desolate and raw space, that day without a soul around.

The SAT phone has become my assurance throughout these isolated parts we adventure ourselves on. As much as I love my buddy Spirit, well… he has never lifted a paw yet toward any kind of bailing out situations… mentally yes, physically? No…

We have also been approved to be sponsored by SPOT, which is great news and a window should be up in a few weeks for “in real live time” tracking from the site… that is only when I have it on!!!

This adventure begins on the Blog

Be well… Ara & Spirit

502969378_2gdMy-L.jpg

My own reality check… Texas

Maybe too sheltered? Maybe not enough outside “news”? I even forget to check on the weather at times. We live on the road, we travel, we seek for adventures, new Friends are always on the horizon. “Mother Nature” and “Spirit” are my faithful companions. For that matter “Old Faithful” also which just turned 200 this morning! And yet, new survival aspects make their ways into our lives. Comments are written, some are bad news, some are OK news and some I cannot even think about. They should make me pack up and change planet.

I see all as a pleasant challenge, a “good one” I think as our prize is beyond any fortune one could really afford. It is here and there, it is really “free” and it is not going away. We will find ways to keep company always as it really does not take much, just one to strike away the fear of the fear.

I write about Spirit on my Blog today… I say that he is in all reality the true Leader if there was ever one amongst him and I.

Closer and closer we will be on these grounds that are always welcoming us, no matter what…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

504741725_7E7hJ-L.jpg

Ardys… 77, riding and having “fun”, Texas

I always thought that as the years flew by us, inconveniently often enough for my taste, that one slows down, specially when it involves a physical activity such as motorcycle riding where the senses need that demanding sharpness.

I had heard of Ardys for a while now, some riders are legends it seems like, and it has been a pleasure to finally make her acquaintance yesterday. (maybe it was the day before! We have both in common some forgetfulness!!!).

It reminded me that there is such a word as “fun”, real fun… often maybe I forget while being in deep thoughts within this beautiful environment we are provided with. Ardys has fun. I watch Spirit play, he has much fun no doubt, so I think it is due time that I have also some more “fun” in a bit more conscience ways.

We had a nice dinner last night around my Center of the Universe, much grilling and much smoke. Sometimes the “adventures” and good times come to us! We don’t have to go anywhere…

Be well… always. Ara & Spirit… with a nice new bone !

506768146_gfmgL-L.jpg

The greatest loop… Texas

That is what I call this route when leaving from near by Terlingua headed north to Alpine, west to Marfa, drop down through Pinto Canyon, back eastbound to Presidio, finally arriving where we started from.

The weather was incredible, not so today, as the ultimate would have been to spend a night or two at the Chinati Hot Springs with much more leisurely time to explore the area.

It is a very isolated space, the road can be a bit tricky and always advise to ride it from north to south. I actually don’t think we would have made it the other way.

Company is always good, specially in the case of an unpleasant scenario, help could take for ever to get there if communication is not available. It has been a real peace of mind having SPOT track us and also the SAT phone available just in case.

Of course with Spirit around why should I need help? Wrong… Great co-pilot but his help stays limited to the mental attitude, sometimes really the most important one.

More on the blog... Be well… Ara & Spirit

507512786_heXPB-L.jpg

“Pausing” in Texas

After reading a quote by “Salman Rushdie”, I understood better why we are on the road, why I have in the past lived on a sailboat for many years, why I just cannot bring myself to a “normal” way of Life.

We are on the less frequented side of the coin, it is a coin with two green sides, there is no wrong and there is no right, there just “is”.

It is interesting however to know that so many from the other side, “the belongers”, would like to jump over and even if it is for a short time join us, “the non-belongers”. We are a few, circling at times, on a straight road at other times, curvy ones, but all with just about the same goal of finding ourselves within a space we can feel more comfortable.

Simplicity is part of the logistics and at the same time brings on a harder path to deal with when uprooted day after day.

I thought about writing the few intricaties on the Blog while ourselves are “pausing” these last few days on “The Oasis”, trying to make our future path logistically an easier one. The usual sorting “things” out, tires, oil changes… you name it.

510237174_jAgxq-L.jpg

Yes, this too is a ride report… Texas

I cannot help remenisce while trying to leave winter behind and get on destination North, toward my usual freedom, roaming the land that has now become our Home. The retrospect is immense, moments have flashed by, one behind another, but my companions, Spirit and Mother Nature have stood by me. They have both gratified me with greatness, they have truly been the two common denominators that have never deviated from the truth, in dark times and in bright times they have only known one path. The true path.

It is so strange how I can feel being here, wanting to leave and yet, wanting to stay. Everywhere will always be there but we have to go, we will be back here when again the Northern winds push us South. In the meantime, a few more days and the wheels will be rolling longer than the recent past, the camera will get a good work out and my Soul with a smile can only lead me forward.

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

Ara & Spirit

513092194_eK63m-L.jpg

The last ride here?… Texas

We are ready to head out, finally all the logistics have come together and it is that time to keep an eye on the weather of the planned route! “Planned route” I keep thinking as we have never really… gone that route! That is the exciting facet of the Journey as a sticker on the sidecar says “no rules”.

Yes, there is a bit of melancholy as we took our walk this morning, my walk anyhow while Spirit is running, chasing sticks and clowning as the morning Dog he is. Morning and late afternoon energy, the twice a day show he puts on for me everyday. There is comfort here, no doubt about it since the very first day we have stepped on this ground. There will be comfort also everywhere else with an added “newness” of the landscape and the feels of what is ahead. It is a bit as being torn from the inside… but the road ahead wins always never holding us back.

We rode North County rd the other evening, to my surprise it has just been graded and should go all the way now to Terlingua with ease unlike in the past. Beautiful surroundings

Be well, always… Ara & Spirit

516414435_uZFPm-M.jpg

Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico

Truly an incredible experience. One to redo over a few times as every step of the way is as a new creation only Mother Nature could put on display. Tonight we have made it as far as Gallup, New Mexico and tomorrow our entrance into The Valley of the Gods should take place. I am so drawn to that space as I know an entity of Life is waiting. The questions within me never stop, but the replies are not often so easy to discover. The space we are in always is a barrier or a conductive path... we will be on the open path by tomorrow.

Old Historical Towns have lined the road these past couple of days. Lincoln, Capitan. They seemed so unique and different from most we have seen and gone through. We are moving on, not too fast, actually kind of slow as evening approaches always wondering why we have not gone far enough, and yet, I just cannot seem to find any schedule!

Enjoy the photos of the Caverns of Carlsbad , they have truly become some of my favorites.

Till next time, be well…

Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com our Journey under the Stars…

520135408_6EWAx-L.jpg

Valley of the Gods, the beginning. Utah

I was checking the weather today and typed in ‘Terlingua”! Sometimes I forget where we are. Happens a lot in the middle of the night. Either it is senility or maybe getting too comfy on this Journey wherever we are!

Winds up to 40mph and gusting, it is today truly the “Valley of the Gods” breathing down real heavy on us. Yet, we took a ride to Blanding to see Jack the welder as a crack in one of the sidecar mounts made it’s appearance. Jack had also helped me last year and this time his work was his contribution to our Journey, a real strong weld with even a bit of black paint touch up. The trade off actually was a picture with… Spirit. Yes, again and again it happens as no one ever asks me to be in the pictures. I am used to it by now, no hurt feelings, my own therapy works.

Yesterday was a different story, with beautiful clouds and weather we rode around and around as the 17 mile road here is so perfect for “Old Faithful”.

Another coincidence, as last year the balloons are here! One flew this morning, just in time before the winds started strong. I think they will now wait till Sunday for calmer skies.

More photos are on the Blog

Be well… Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com Our Journey under the Stars…

522209248_6Duwq-L.jpg

Our present neighborhood, Utah

Misty morning, the sun is still hidden, the red rocks have yet to be painted and take on their red hues, the winds are calm and silence prevails. The birds are still asleep, I am barely awake myself and as in tempo with it’s forward movement I can hear the gushing of the balloon’s propane lighting up in bursts. What a sight it was, what a sight it must be from “up there” when free as a bird one could fly over those Monuments, those “Gods” guarding this Valley for the past centuries.

The surprises never fail to appear at every corner while living on the road, never knowing the next set we will be experiencing while on this single and greatest stage Mother Nature has provided never sparing any expenses from within her own Soul.

More photos of our rides, old one pan recipes I am trying to bring back and incorporated within the Blog , a reply to a comment made, more Balloon photos are still in the camera for now waiting for the next time.

Be well…

Always

Ara & Spirit

523278875_6ixfm-L-1.jpg

The Balloonists and their Balloons… Utah

Sunday was a great day! Mother Nature’s pleasant stage was truly enjoyed by us and all the Balloonists present for their once a year flights throughout this Valley of the Gods. Suddenly the skies presented themselves with a totally different backdrop creating many smiles. Balloons create smiles… to me anyhow. Being invited for Breakfast with the groups was a real treat… I cannot help still tasting the great food and looking forward next year!

Tomorrow we are moving to Moab, outskirts of Moab anyhow as there is free camping a bit north of it. Regroup a bit and on to the “Swells”… an area we have never been to…

Time is lingering and a crucial decision also I need to take is coming up… The dentist's prognosis was not too good yesterday… Gum bone infection that I am hoping more antibiotics will take care off, but that will only cure the symptoms, not the problem… Gum surgery on all four quadrants? What does that have to do with riding!!! I wonder…

More on the Blog … one day at the time…

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

528908537_pd4ET-L.jpg

Ara & Spirit

The Gooseneck, Mokey Dugway and Muley Point, Utah…

In Moab right now, a few miles north of it, we actually have managed to never pay for camping so far since we have left “The Oasis”. That is the plan this time around. The “photo” of this Dish within it’s surrounding beauty I would call it an “oxymoron”! Not to my liking, millions of years spread ahead of us harboring this new technology yet at it’s infancy stands allowing me to communicate. Is there a choice? There is only two… well, maybe three, as I only see it as a “yes” for the Blog, a “no” for it or countless hours sitting in a coffee shop… for me not a doable solution when the chapters here are reaching the present numbers way over 400.

Valley of the Gods and it’s surroundings will again have to wait another year for our visit, many trails untouched yet, it seems as an endless space we can never finish savoring. My Friend “Andre” spend a couple nights camping by us. Much cooking, much chatting and much solving our own dilemmas that are a daily barrage of questions.

Will be here for a few more days, regrouping I thought… we have however met many nice people we have spend some quality time with. Will write about that also next time…

Be well… thank you for your support…

Ara & Spirit Ara & Spirit

Edited by beemerchef
beemerchef

533249409_vyn8W-L.jpg

Potash Rd and Schaeffer Trail revisited, Utah

The loop, the excitement, the challenge is so great that we rode it twice back to back two consecutive days. Uphill that is, making room for the other vehicles at times going the wrong way. There is actually no wrong way, going uphill for us gives me much better control of the ride.

Resting back today after finally a tooth extraction finding this really good Dentist here and a bit stuck from a frayed clutch cable. I always carry a spare of everything, all is well, I am happy that it did not happen on one of those rides, on the switchbacks. Not much energy right now to change it, it is going to be so strange not to be in pain anymore, not quite gone yet, but will soon.

Spirit continues amazing me, it is almost as I take it for granted that this Dog (is he?) can ride with such pleasure, specially over such disturbing roads bouncing around non stop. He loves it! So does “Old Faithful” behaving as a good companion herself never missing a beat.

It is quite a road, the switchbacks are amazing, a definite must if in the area!

More photos of it are on the Blog .

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

536130453_HcSYb-L.jpg

As “beauty” rises through the pain. Moab, Utah

A strange facet on this Journey happens as almost stricken with panic when faced with the inability to write my true honest realistic to myself thoughts. The cap solidly remains topping a Soul and a mind that needs their own quenching, all needs to pass on onto the pages of this insatiable Journal filled with moments that cannot be skipped, reflecting always my own reality through the nights and days of this taken path.

Criticized at times, I fall and enter into an arena unwelcoming to my own well being, a territory so foreign that when reading my own words I realize they just are not truly mine. They are not faithful to my train of thoughts, they are as if Spirit suddenly was lacking his water and food, his love and affection, his running and clowning around. And why? Because maybe not wanting to write about pain, about sadness, about missing a Loved one when told such feelings would be a negative aspect of my pages. I have risen up into a new step realizing all those are only “human” facets of everyone’s Life and comprehend that through those feelings comes out the beauty surrounding us as the incredible contrasted World we live in.

There is much “beauty” that rises through pain… There really is .

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

beemerchef

538625637_oiH47-L.jpg

In and around Sego, Utah

I must be moving on with my own Calendar. For some reason I thought today was Father’s Day… can the Journey’s path be so mixed up or is it a good sign that we are hovering a bit above reality? Wish Spirit would also get it straight… He could have told me.

It was a tip from a local, Sego was, and what a surprise when not only discovering a Ghost Town, Petroglyphs from three different eras but also a well maintained non paved road climbing nearly to 9000 feet with green grass and the vegetation unlike in the Valley of Moab.

Obviously not a popular path as we did not encounter a single vehicle all day, cooler temperatures and much photography mixed with some great riding.

Such surprises are always the welcomed ones, off the beaten path, the ones so many overlook when traveling under a schedule. We will probably return to Sego as the road ridden is Sego Canyon and two more are awaiting for us.

Another week in Moab, it will then be decision time for our next destination, probably Wyoming. I think we are both ready for some unseen sceneries .

Be well…

Ara & Spirit