IGNORED

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey on the road...

beemerchef

243514562-M.jpg

Moving on, MS

We had the best night sleep at a Truck Stop overnight, can’t figure that one out! Do people live at Truck Stops permanently? They sure are enough of them! Would it do for an interesting Blog? Not really I think!

Great weekend riding with the Dual Sport Riders of Louisiana, familiar faces and some new faces, some black top and some primitive roads. We had it all… including some entertainment! Some duck grilling… at Walt’s and Paulette’s

We will be in Birmingham, AL, by the time you read this, and the next time in Atlanta, exactly where we started 15 months ago.

Of course many thoughts are going through my mind…

I will talk about it later, we need to keep rolling East… in the meantime enjoy the pictures on the Blog…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com our website and Blog

Made by us on the road while traveling… “Spirited Doggie Treats” and “Art Cards”… put Spirit to work…

244506718-L.jpg

Snow last night in Atlanta. We are camped out in Powder Springs at a friend’s office/construction site, with all the comforts needed. Yes, it is a culture shock being here after so many months “out there” as my thoughts are a bit already fast forwarding to Moab, Utah, our next destination when my mother flies back home in about a month. She will arrive here on Tuesday… we will be at the Airport in the afternoon… I can’t wait to see her, has been a couple years.

We braved the 37 degree temps this afternoon and took a short ride, not that bad really with the help of electric heated gear actually. Found out about the International Motorcycle Show this weekend which we will attend so we can show you the pictures of all the new bikes! Always something. Just posted the last pictures of the George Ranch Homes on the Blog .

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com our website and Blog…

Made by us on the road while traveling… “Spirited Doggie Treats” and “Art Cards”… put Spirit to work…

245126365-L.jpg

Cabin fever? Atlanta…

So we rented a car today… I don’t think my 80 year old mother would adventure herself riding in the sidecar… even though I am sure Spirit would be more than a gentleman! Almost headed out for the International Motorcycle show at the Georgia Dome, but, with much snow coming down and freezing forecast, we will wait till tomorrow. Of course it end up raining after the snow and the temps are not as cold as predicted. I guess I wanted to play it safe… relaxed throughout the show without the thought of getting stuck in town. We were suppose to meet some friends there today… there will be another waive of them tomorrow… such is Life!

Spirit shared his sidecar with Scooter yesterday. John’s buddy… and we had a great time taking some pictures. I think we will watch a movie tonight… it has been really nice to relax… and reminisce about the past … looking forward to the future… enjoying the present.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

245907731-L.jpg

The Atlanta Cycle Show…

The Show?… well, I liked it as for the first time I saw this kind of show under a different light. Some Art, some function and purpose. Maybe because I have never been prejudiced toward two wheels… and maybe because our own rig has turned into more of a great tool than anything else… Old ones, new ones, restoration and much Art with the custom choppers… hard to believe that one can actually ride them.

My Mother arrived today… it was Airport time with an hour delay, but who does not like people watching! So keep checking the Blog as I keep on writing but might not have as much time posting on here. She is doing great for 80, I hope I am in such great shape when and if I ever get there. Oh! Dr’s check up today… complete stress test… Cardiologist… good to go for a while longer he said.

He is one of the best in the Country, a great Human Being, he knows of our Blog and the fact that I do not have Health Insurance, he never charges me… what a contribution!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

247255141-L.jpg

Mother in Atlanta…

Bitter cold, feels like 16, no sunrises and no sunsets… much traffic and everyone is on the cell phone! How Life has changed…

Spirit feels restricted, from car to hotel room to some dirty off color and littered resemblance of greenery. I am sure we would have gone to some Parks if the weather would have cooperated a bit more. This is our last day in ATL before Tybee Island which I am really looking forward to, till the 20th of February.

Some more pictures of the Motorcycle Show… not much else going on besides lengthy conversations with my mother solving Life’s dilemmas…

Four years ago tomorrow, Lance struggled with his last day amongst us. This time I will not be alone and my mother will not be alone either. We will hold each other up… we will make it through the day as he will also be with us.

For those wondering… this has always been our Life story … sometimes most everything else takes a back seat.

You be well… always Love your Children.

Ara & Spirit

Edited by beemerchef

248269244-L.jpg

Arriving, Tybee Island, GA

Spirit and I rode a bit yesterday on the Island, dog owners… beware as they do not allow them on the beach, truly a disappointment. The fine is $200+… will deal with that situation.

And of course I will accept my mother anyway she comes!… as she disagrees with my Lifestyle, Path, Journey… you name it! But that is nothing new… I am just trying for her to use the word “could” instead of “should”!!! We are picking up a car today, even though, just one time I wish she would sit in the sidecar. That is not going to happen.

The skies have turned blue, uplifting for sure. This is not the “Lost Coast of California”, but it does has its own charm and Savannah I know has much history of its own. We will visit other Islands also… she is following my plans as long as she is well fed and gets some rest as she is still having a hard time dealing with the six hours time change.

You be well… enjoy your day.

Ara & Spirit

249046783-L.jpg

A ride through Savannah, GA

Yes, this is a real Police Station and the Chief of Police Parking spot… but he never showed up for the few minutes it took us to take some pictures. It was the only available parking space, I would have explained.

Beautiful day yesterday, gave Spirit a chance to play in the big dog run, much needed exercise as today and tomorrow the forecast is rain.

It is quiet here, getting caught up on the laundry, rearranging one more cabinet, bake some Treats and print some Art Cards for my mother who wants to send some to her friends… a good customer I have here!!!

Enjoy the pictures, there will be more as we are settling in nicely being off season right now.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

249663319-L.jpg

Savannah, for real! GA

We keep going to the enclosed fenced dog run. I just love taking pictures of Spirit clowning around and getting his much needed exercise. A bit hesitant at first, that’s me not him (!!!), regarding the behavior of the other digs present, but after talking to their owners all was fine, every one keeps an eye on them strongly.

Mother dropped off at a Mall… we went on again to Savannah’s Historical District and started playing with the camera mainly on one street only called “Jones St”… so many more… 24 square Blocks to be exact with 18 Parks!

Next we will be going to St Simon Island, Charleston… up and down the coast.

Enjoy , come and visit… we are here waiting for you!

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

250570513-L.jpg

Colonial Faire & Muster, GA

An unusual event, for us anyhow. The 10th Annual Colonial Faire and Muster, reenactment day, a celebration of the founding of the Colony of Georgia at Savannah, on February 12th 1733 by James Evans Oglethorpe. Spirit and I rode there, pursuit by a fanatic reader hanging out of the window of a fast moving van… Mike Justice, “Driller” on the ADV Riders Forum… obviously a dentist… Great day… His presence in costume of the era added to our own day… On another front, great conversation, for the first time only since we have left, with a gentleman asking me “why did I bring a loaded gun (Spirit) to a Park filled with kids”… of course in the meantime so many of those kids were asking my permission to pet Spirit, and did! As he walked away shaking his own head in disbelief I wished him a great day. One cannot lead a horse to the water… right?

Enjoy the pictures … there will be more to come…

Be well

Ara & Spirit

251515189-L.jpg

The rest of the weekend, GA

More pictures from the reenactment as the firing of the cannon is always a favorite… kids will be kids you know. Spirit did not like it too much as it was the first time he was in proximity of one. Tried to keep him away as much as possible…

I have been thinking about getting us a new buddy lately… much to think about, specially being the size of the sidecar. They would have to sit side by side pretty close. I even called “Friends Of Animal” in Kanab, Utah, which Spirit and I visited a while ago. It is a “no kill” animal shelter… we might stop there sometime when in that State… It is just a thought… I think Spirit would be real happy with a companion as also I would. Can you see two Pits riding down the road with helmets and Doggles on? Too much?

Anyhow… enjoy the rest of the pictures

Be well… Ara & Spirit

252107562_gD9y4-L.jpg

St Simon Island… GA

When we decided to meet (mother and I) in this area called the Golden Isles, GA, my thought were of small villages by the water, quaint and quiet… Comparatively we love Tybee now as we had a chance to visit St Simon Island (south) and also Spirit and I took a ride yesterday about 100 miles north of here. All are full blown cities with major traffic tie ups, 4 lane highways and the back roads which I found just a few are now rare.

The beaches are still quiet once into a State Park, it has been overwhelming besides those area.

I know that this is going to be a trend as it has also been these past months. Checking on what use to be free BLM (Bureau Land Management) camping near Moab, Utah, I am already discovering that they have become also rare as they are now charging $10 a night and limiting the stay to 14 days. Luckily we do have some info on remaining free camping on which we will establish camp very soon. Enjoy the “ tour ”…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

252550300_tsAM7-L.jpg

Hunting Island State Park, SC

It is a fine Park well worth visiting with a beautiful Lighthouse and beaches, so serene and peaceful, specially off season. A day trip from Tybee Island, it was just Spirit and I and the camera. Found a great BBQ joint in Bluffton where actually they took care of “us” real well thinking maybe we had not eaten in days! Maybe my diet is working… not on that day though after a couple pounds of food!!!

They also have a campground for $28 a night… I am always wondering why these prices are soaring like mad as if the cost of fuel to get from point A to point B was not enough! One reason for always look for BLM land or National Forest as long as it is safe and free…

Enjoy the shots … Savannah again and Charleston are next on the agenda.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

253689398_nsG23-L.jpg

Blog An afternoon in Savannah, GA

We keep going back to Savannah, after all, when was the last time we have witnessed a city built in 1773!… Quite a few moons ago. Busy on the weekend, much nicer during the week and much easier to find any kind of parking space. Our stay on the coast here is nearing the end, we are still planning to sightsee Charleston tomorrow as the weather has been awesome. It should be a nice ride with Spirit.

Sometimes I have a lack of words to express why we are on the road on this Journey, seems somehow that the images are a bit clearer now and that is the content of today’s Blog.

You be well… Ara & Spirit

Blog

254676716_qFmfj-L.jpg

Charleston, SC

A nice 300 mile round trip to Charleston from Tybee Island, cloudy day, cool temps specially with much wind when coming back the same day. Spirit’s patience does not cease to amaze me as we did more sightseeing than dog walks on the grass… and then again the sidecar is his second home!

The Historical City is amazing with its ongoing restoration all approved by the Charleston Historical Society, down to the mortar used, door handles and every details imaginable. Beautiful houses, narrow streets and tour guides dressed from the past era.

One of the highlights was the “Three Dog Bakery” which you must visit if and when in the neighborhood… even if you do not have a dog!

With too many pictures taken that day, there will be a part II of the visit! Hope you enjoy it… we did.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com our website and Blog….

Come and see us in Moab soon!!!

255425449_fHgfK-L.jpg

More of Charleston, SC

Thinking back I cannot decide which was the highlight of Charleston! The Historical City or the “Three Dog Bakery”? Spirit thinks it is the Bakery… of course. Yes, those are made for our buddies… can you believe it? More pictures are on the Blog.

Our stay is coming to an end, today is the last day for our car rental, we will have a couple more days to reorganize it all before we head back to Atlanta where we will spend a few days regrouping. We will take a straight route to Moab stopping in Birmingham to visit the Motorcycle Barber Museum and couple other visits planned on the way. I know that we will arrive a bit too early for warmer weather, but I would like to witness the biggest annual 4x4 week planned in that area.

Enjoy the pictures

Be well and stay well… Ara & Spirit

256349528_LHfmj-L.jpg

Lasts days on Tybee Island, GA

Bittersweet on this last day here. Excited about going back to Atlanta tomorrow morning, ride my old stumping grounds “The Georgia Mountains”… check out the old neighborhood where we use to live… have the camera cleaned professionally… Sad and thoughtful about my mother’s departure back to Munich, Germany. We have been a scattered family all our Life as much as we love being together. We probably would not know what to do if we all lived in the same town! Mother in Germany, aunt and uncle in Belgium, cousin in Ohio, aunt and uncle again in England, another set in Australia, my favorite cousin in Thailand… and the list goes on and on. And us?… roaming around… it has been hopeless.

We all checked out the Savannah Wildlife Refuge the other day, a well worth visit if you are in the area. Unlike us, try to spend the whole day, I know there would be no regrets.

Enjoy the Blog … we have to start packing…

Be well and stay well. Ara & Spirit

257453849_u7AMA-L.jpg

Idling in Atlanta, GA

Yes, it has been raining since we arrived here, non stop and we are on the verge of cabin fever. We are almost there… Good thing dogs like to sleep a lot and once this is behind us I think we will stay up for days! Wish I had Spirit’s patience, I am learning very quickly in times as such.

Georgia Mountains maybe if things clear up a bit, would love to take some of those well known roads and some last pictures of the area before we leave Monday morning.

My mother made it back safely to Munich, already a phone call to assure me of it. The next chapter of this Journey will go on very soon… exciting times ahead… we hope.

A nostalgic look back on the Blog today … old photos are always fun, that is what they are for… right?

Enjoy, be well… and stay well!

Ara & Spirit

258177801_EZooB-L.jpg

Finally some Georgia Mountains…

All too familiar where the roads and the scenery yesterday. “Two Wheels Only” motorcycle campground, the “cooler run”, Dale’s… all was our second home, sometimes first home a while back.

Cold temperatures, specially on the way back… but nothing was going to hold us back this time as we are headed to Birmingham in a few minutes, one of the many stops on the way to Moab, Utah. So many memories came back, those were the first roads the sidecar and Spirit took when assembled after the moving truck dropped off this huge box at our house in Dawsonville… How exciting that was! And who knew at the time what would be the future… We still don’t!

Take a ride on the Blog as we did…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

259197023_JwgoV-L.jpg

The Barber Motorcycle Museum, Birmingham, AL

So we made it here to Birmingham and how ironic that we went to visit the Museum on one of the nicest days we have experienced lately. It was custom made for Spirit who had to wait outside in the sidecar, giving us a chance however to go for walks every couple hours only wearing a T shirt! I keep thinking that even if you do not care for motorcycles, or cars for that matter, a visit to Barber is a must. It will leave you speechless as it did to me, the building itself is Art and the whole experience is worth and more its $10 entry fee! They actually have a special for 3 days, Friday~Saturday~Sunday, for $15! The problem is… too many picture! They are all going on my SmuMug Gallery soon which I will give out its link, in the meantime enjoy the ones posted as there will also be more of them on the site next time.

260141192_pAsH9-L.jpg

From Memphis, TN, more on the Barber Museum…

The pictures are still endless but I am almost done working on sorting them out for the picture Gallery! In the meantime I posted some interesting ones on the site, including my favorite, one of them anyhow, the full dressed Vincent, which ironically did not sell well.

We have arrived in Memphis, and getting ready to learn what all the fuss about Graceland is… camera is also ready… Spirit will have to stay behind for a few hours. I need to find out if Elvis had a dog and what kind! Should be an interesting day…

I cannot help posting a picture of Spirit while visiting second graders in Birmingham, which I will write about also next time! You know… those Pits labeled “mean”…

Maybe we will see you sometime down the road… and hope that you are not yet tired of motorcycle pictures !!!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

260458719_q8dXN-L.jpg

Moving right along, Amarillo, Tx

With a prediction of wind chills between 16 and 21, accumulation of 2” of snow, winds between 25 and 35 mph per hours with gusts of 45mph… that is tonight… repeat scenario for tomorrow… you would think we are in North Dakota! No… this is Texas… but not the same Texas that has been so friendly to us! For some reason today Florida sounds real good… We might not be able to move till Tuesday. Well, we have food, fuel and power… heat is good… books and the Internet!

The link for all the pictures from the Barber Museum is up.

I also posted about our visit to the Deer Valley Elementary School in Hoover, near Birmingham, AL, entertaining the second graders! It was a fun day and I think the kids also had a blast…

Hope we survive all this!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

261429887_YEDRf-L.jpg

A visit to Graceland, Memphis, TN

Just like the flip of a coin the weather showed its smilie face in Amarillo, a welcome change. We made it to Lubbock and spend the day with Mike and Nathan working on a final proof for a T shirt and a mouse pad with some very impressive machinery these guys have! And on camping a few miles south of it, in a little town called Slaton as right downtown, at the City Park, they provide free camping for up to three nights! Awesome…

The visit to Graceland, the home of Elvis Presley was memorable, there are still crowds coming in to pay their last respect and take the tour as I did. It was a strange feeling to actually walk around in the same space that he did trying to imagine all that has gone on in the past. A step back in time as the pictures show…

Less than 800 miles from Moab now, we will be headed that way tomorrow morning for the last leg of this “coming back West”.

Exciting….

Be well… Ara & Spirit

262926634_ZdMNp-L.jpg

To Albuquerque, NM

Try spelling that word without looking!

We end up using all three free nights of camping the City of Slaton gave us as we had to regroup yesterday. What is regroup? Just a feeling that we are caught up with everything including replying e mails, baking some Treats, cleaning, filing pictures, roasting coffee and… taking a nap! That is “regroup”!!!

A bit of snowing, a bit of wind and beautifully clear this morning as we hit the road again. I will not even bore you again with the destination, seems like lately it takes us twice as long to get anywhere! More on Elvis and Graceland on the Blog … while already sorting out the pictures taken at the wind mill museum and the oldest bakery in Texas.

Be well… till next time we are rolling.

Ara & Spirit

263633307_xoo8U-L.jpg

Leaving Texas…

We are in Moab today… as soon as we made that eastbound turn on 550, a bit north of Albuquerque, big empty and vast spaces presented themselves and suddenly it was as if another new page of this Journey had been turned. Peaceful, calm and serene, mountain tops covered with snow, cattle grazing in search of green patches, it was as we had never left the West. We stopped many times as the weather cooperated fully with our last leg of thistransition, lucky I was thinking having missed the horrible snow storms that hit the towns we had just come through.

My first picture here on our way near a few miles from Moab!… The story of a T shirt, new friends and a Wind Mill Museum on the Blog

You be well… come and visit!… we will be here a while.

Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com our website and Blog...

Ara,

I can't tell you how many times I've seen that view. Somehow you have captured it larger than life. I usually think so much is lost in a picture. That as fine as a shot may be, it can never capture the real glory and fullness of the moment. I truly think that shot surpasses any time I've beheld that view.

There is such a drama in the lighting. You should treasure it.

With any luck, Bullett and I will be riding up through Moab this weekend. See HERE . Hope to arrive Moab Saturday night and depart Sunday morning.

The weather report for the weekend at present looks marginal, so it may get put off again, but we're pretty anxious to get our bikes back home, so the pressure is building, and we may just have to suck it up and ride in the rain. If it starts looking like snow or ice, we wouldn't do it.

Anyway, we'd love to meet you and Spirit if possible.

Jan

Send you a pm... looking forward. Thanks for writing, photgraphy is all about patience!!!...

264581324_iYz2C-L.jpg

Fascinating Moab, UT.

“This” is definitely a “destination”… a smorgasbord of rides, photography opportunities, just being amongst it all can be overwhelming and glad that we will have the time to explore it all… versus just blowing by at a multitude of frames per second.

Strangest weather here, 80 in the sun by the afternoon, 20 at 6 am… 60 degrees difference within every 24 hours! Dress up and take it off… constant as even in the hot temps riding is cold…

We have only taken a quick ride through the Arches National Park, a few miles also along the Colorado River, today we will head south a bit more and try to ride into Canyonland…

Enjoy the Blog... Be well… Ara & Spirit

Throw the Dog a Bone… Spirited T shirts… Mouse Pads… Photography…

Welcome to Utah!

Several things to note... For one, the environment of southern Utah is magnificent but in the north of Utah it is as different as night is from day. The state has both extremes. Think forested mountains, and gurgling cold water streams in the north.

Next, while the differences in temperature will be extreme, there is one other thing that is entirely different from your recent travels in the southeast... humidity. We have very low humidity. You and Spirit need to drink lots of water.

I hope you do find some work in Moab. In my experience the restaurants there need your expertise.

I look forward to meeting up with you and Spirit if your travels bring you north. Twisties and Bullet will tell you all about it when they hook up with you but I propose to host a get together with cookin', eatn' and story tellin' at Casa Hopz...

Welcome to Utah.

Thanks Hopz. Yes, water is what we carry A LOT of. We have a check list (we?... I get no help!!!) every morning. 14 liters of water (for the 2 of us), 2 food rations, space blannket, First Aid... and more! A get together sounds great... cooking sounds even better!!! Looking forward.

265611230_KHR27-L.jpg

Canyonland, Moab, UT

The possibilities are endless in this area. Canyonland was new to us and I share this with others saying that it is actually more beautiful than the Grand Canyon. Maybe “beautiful” is the wrong word, as every Park has its own personality and character, Canyonland is more intimate specially when we get the chance to do Schaffer Trail and Long Canyon on the return which both run on the lower Mesa’s edge near the White Rim.

It is also Jeep Safari week and some of those trails seem just impossible to pass through, called “rock crawling” I have only seen the start of some and we have been invited to ride in one! It has been through the drivers a good source of information as to where ourselves can go or not go. Much going on here!

Be well, Ara & Spirit

266383323_E7Rt9-L.jpg

Life in Moab, UT

I think the decision to come here and spend some time was a good one. Diversified for many there is much to do for everyone that loves the outdoor, from the simple hiking (inexpensive…) to photography combined, on and off road bicycling and motorcycling, 4x4 jeep rock crawling, rafting, fishing, snow skiing in the winter times and I am sure I am forgetting something.

The town this week is filling up as the Jeep Safari event is taking place and yet the area is so vast that we can get away in other directions and find peace and tranquility.

Still cold specially in the early morning hours, we have yet to witness a sunrise in front of some red rocks glowing as on fire, but that will come soon. We are just exploring the different roads, trying to find some dog friendly lands unlike the National Parks, there are many.

Enjoy the Blog

Be well… Ara & Spirit

267512531_BtM3R-L.jpgEnjoy the Blog...

As Life in Moab goes on…

So today I wrote a controversial Blog! So I have been told, all in a positive well mannered as always fashion. I generally do not dwell on situations, the words are there, they had to come out at the risk of offending some maybe which is not my style, but, it is in black and white, it is reality, nothing else. Truly nothing offending! Will there be a Lifestyle change or not… all I can say is once the words have been out I have felt filled again with much freedom as to the outcome of this Journey…

My tire is late, maybe tomorrow. We have been staying on black top discovering more and more many trails we will be able to ride without great difficulty. I have only seen them from the distance and the views are just spectacular as in “Dead Horse State Park”.

The pictures today are from a ride to Potash along the Colorado River, a salt mining plant and “that” start of more trails…

Enjoy the Blog…

Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com our website …

268455000_uriZP-L.jpg

Dead Horse State Park, UT

Moab is growing on us as every day, with the help of “chit chatting” with the locals, we are discovering some doable trails for us. We can ride better than a 2 wheel drive but not as daring as a 4 wheel drive! The best views are off the black top except for a ride to “Dead Horse State Park”, a natural wonder which only took 300 million years to achieve, and still under construction!

The town is filling up with the oddest 4 wheel drive vehicles, one could just sit on a corner and admire the parade going down the street. We waited for the right time to be here as this is going to take some time to explore!

Some great views today…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Down on Potash Rd, UT

269268921_9idXB-L.jpg

This is one road to mark on your map, you will need a 4x4 or a dual sport motorcycle, nothing too dramatic but rough in some places. A cattle trail established in 1917, constructed further into a truck route and finished in 1952 for the ore and uranium miners, it is now used for the lucky ones that can drive it, ride it and also bicycle it. It is so humbling to traverse the canyon with the thought that all this was started 300 million years ago, one day at the time, erosion slowly with no help of human hands or mind delivering this Artwork for us to be privileged to be on. It is a geology class, it is a photography class, a spiritual journey for most it is, you just need to experience it some day… soon. There is no doubt that we will be going back while here, so much yet to witness.

Enjoy the Blog … and be well.

Ara & Spirit

270476256_dSrvm-L.jpg

Over my head in Moab, UT

Last night we had to tow the rig back to camp after some a bit to rough riding, a deep creek crossing and the engine dying a couple miles after. 24 hrs hours later with much help from friends, it seems that it is the HEC…

Hall Effect Sensor… ignorant me, never heard of that animal lounging around deep down somewhere in the midst of all the running parts. Seems like they only last about 50,000 miles, this one must be a record with 182,000 miles on it. Repeat moisture and finally much steam from a deep bath we think gave it its final spark! So we are leaving for Salt Lake City tomorrow, a new part is already on its way to meet us at the shop we are going to! The support on the road is incredible. After posting my trouble, not even an hour later that the diagnostic replies where coming in.

We will be back here in Moab when we are all fixed up!…

On the Blog , the last of the Potash Trail, definitely a road worth taking more than once as we will do again soon…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

273359512_jvXHv-L.jpg

More of the Arches, UT

No April’s Fool here as we have fallen back into the slow lane of checking out the sights, looking for the opportunity for some good pictures after this dark weather that was hovering over us.

All is quiet now in Moab, Jeep Safari week is over and so is spring break and this feels like the last stretch for summer, right around the corner. Revived energy thinking about the long days with the cold replaced by higher temperatures allowing us to spend more time outdoor.

The immediate area of the Arches National Park is a constant discovery of shapes and colors taking on their unique personality with every phase of the weather. Patience is one of the common denominator for good pictures… and luck. Always luck to be there at the right time, at the right place and not 100 miles away or even being a mile away when the window of opportunity knocks.

I don’t think we will ever be tired of the Arches

Be well… Ara & Spirit

274597404_NMEQw-L.jpg

Back to the Park… Moab

I hope that things do not come in 3’s as the saying goes! Ignition sensor last week… this week is the starter! Transportation is the problem if we have it rebuilt, but with this kind of mileage will have to bite the bullet and have a new one installed. We will be in Durango on Tuesday night to exchange it on Wednesday, remain in southern Utah for a bit while there and then return. In such events the situation is a bit more complicated when one lives on the road!

I am drawn to this Park again and again. The colors and shapes and shadows are different every time we ride through, we are also trying to not adventure ourselves right now in desolate places just in case the starter decided to totally quit!… Just grinds a bit now… message received!

So again I took a bunch of pictures while doing some hiking. It is, they are on the Blog

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Direct fund-raising around here kind of goes against the grain, especially for a trip. I'd like to see you drop the public appeal, however muted it is.

275440676_HjApg-L.jpg

The City of Moab, UT

The town is right now a weekend conversion destination for so many activities and quiet during the week seemingly the locals taking over. It is a nice town and I thought I would post some pictures of it. We are getting ready to leave here Tuesday morning for Durango, exchange this starter which has so far, grinding or not, has done well and have not let us stranded.

It will probably take us a couple weeks to return, Mexican Hat, Four Corners, Valley of the Gods, Monument Valley and Natural Bridges are all going to be destinations! Much to see and I am excited about the photography end of it. Hope the weather is conductive to it!

Check out the town on the Blog !

Be well… Ara & Spirit

276830965_Rfu5M-L.jpg

Short travel from Moab to Durango, AZ, nice scenery with the hills covered with snow and not much else. The new starter is here and we are camping out a few feet from “Basin Motorcycles Works” (BMW… how smart!), a small shop run by Harry. We should be out of here by noon tomorrow and back to Utah/Az.

The more I am reading about the area we are going, the more I am discovering sights not to miss. As “Antelope Slot Canyon”… “Coyote Butte” and “the Wave” where they only allow 20 people a day with unbelievable pictures! “Mule Point” at the end of “Moki Dugway”… much more. I overlooked the fact that this area is so rich, also a Navajo Pow Wow this coming weekend in Page that I would really like to attend and some awesome roads.

I have to curve my enthusiasm and take it one day at the time…

On the Blog… some interesting double takes!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

277767512_mCXCa-L.jpg

Bluff, Utah…

Lots has been going on including some bad weather returning to Utah, Bluff where we are now, camping on BLM land… a real nice campground. It seems like Bluff is more my kind of town than Moab… A stone throw away to some great riding including a 17 mile stretch through Valley of the Gods! Free camping there also… I have never seen such vast land with such a feel and so few people. The bike is fine, Harry at Basin Motorcycle Works did a great job and we were rolling within a couple hours. It is really nice to get to know some independent good mechanics versus the big three piece suit and high rent meaning high valued dotted lines as in BMW Dealerships… I am even wondering why the parts, brand new, not rebuild, are half the price!!! It even comes with a handshake…

The Blog is about my last hike while in Moab, to the Double Arches, my favorites, up close and personal!!!

Be well… always… Ara & Spirit

The Blog

Ara,

Bullett (Sharon) and I got married right on the exact spot you were standing when you took this shot (hope you don't mind me linking to shot from your blog):

windowslivewritersettlinginbluffutah-6087d-arches-13-thumb.jpg

Say "Hi" to Spirit for us!

Wow!!!... that is awesome... I knew a cold breeze came upon me while I stood there myself!!! lmao.gif

You guys are awesome... hope to see you soon...

278366780_74fTi-L.jpg

A ride through “Valley of the Gods“, Utah

This will not be our last ride on that 17 miles stretch of dirt road! We might even move near it next week, pull up a chair and wait for something to happen… maybe a revelation?… maybe one of those striking moments of Life? Who knows… it is after all called “ Valley of the Gods ” for a reason so does the legends go.

It is free travel, free camping with no facilities what so ever and the views are also for the taking! We only met up with half a dozen cars all day, most people we talked to had never even heard of it as the near by Monument Valley is definitely more advertised… A good thing!

More and more I am finding out that “time” is in direct relationship with my surrounding as I have totally lost track of it being here. With such a contrast, the multitudes of Lifestyles does not cease to amaze me…

280190647_Bxnjz-L.jpg

The City of Bluff, Utah

I am actually writing this off line from the Gooseneck State Park. If you need a facial… come on over! Have not experienced such a sand storm in eternity, one reason we could not even get in the Valley of the Gods… not rain or snow… much sand!

The City of Bluff is now my central point for my mail for a while, Blanding unfortunately 50 miles from here is good for provisions! There is nothing in between and so if you want to eat anything besides Hostess Pies and drink soda you better load up on your needs when you get here. I forgot… you can always get a plain old average $30 steak in Mexican Hat!

Bluff has a great Historical past, I think any path taken by the Pioneers has some great stories and a few pictures on the Blog to prove it…

Maybe this wind will die down and I can put up my Dish up, real impossible right now… I even took Spirit for a walk with his Doggles on!

Be well… Ara & Spirit (Dish is up!)

Sandstorms at the Gooseneck State Park, Utah

280799782_xDuEj-L.jpg

The winds have come back with a vengeance! The nights will drop to in between 18 and 12... So when is summer?… when is the calm? I have just checked 6 weather sites!… they don’t all agree either. Oh, yes, the mosquito count is low!!! Now that is a big help… Just sit tight… right?

We are truly camped at one of the most beautiful sight on Earth only 50 feet away from a 1000’ drop down the San Juan river… I try not to think about that fact, nightmares you know!

It takes 5 miles for this river to go 1 linear mile… what a work of Art it is right in between “The Valley of the Gods” and “Monument Valley”. We have not even started Old Faithful yet, just hiking around… maybe shedding some of the winter weight.

Ah! I guess I am ready to wear my summer mesh jacket and store my electric heated gear… Patience…

Till later… be well… Ara & Spirit

Ara,

Try cooking on a mix of pinion pine and cedar (Utah Juniper). Should be some in the area. Just collect what is down. Very hot and long lasting coals with a delicious, distinctive flavor. We typically build the fire high. When it begins to die down and there are plenty of coals, we rake anything burning off to one side, and stretch a grate on rocks over the coals to cook. You should not miss this!

Jan

Will do Jan!!! Now that sounds real good... Thanks for the tip! Hope all is well with you too... Will be on the Gallery soon! You know what I am talking about... thumbsup.gif

281488476_ckZvY-L.jpg

Living in Valley of the Gods, Utah

It’s kind of like my town now!… this 17 mile stretch of road, barely a few cars going by throughout the day and wherever you turn around a monument one cannot take their eyes off!

But yesterday the wind came back with a vengeance and the forecast is for more today, 29mph per hour might not sound like much but it is!!! Hate to move, I remember from last year, wind is everywhere at this time of the year.

Troubled by Life? Come and camp here for a while… I promise you all will change as the days go by and you will experience so serious humbling moments.

With some hope we will ride up to Muley Point today… through a stretch of twisty roads hand carved by the Natives many years ago.

Enjoy the Blog … and be well…

Ara & Spirit

283181610_yzFK7-L.jpg

Muley Point, Utah

Another space not to miss! Muley point… Moki Dugway unlike what I was told is an easy ride up or down, gravel and black top on the curves. And then you get to the top, make a left on another mild dirt road, #241, a few miles later you will feel as you are on Top of the World. Gooseneck underneath, below also is the road to Johns Canyon. This is where you can camp for weeks at the time with no one ever taking sight at you. One form of therapy!

Every day the decision to move or not due to hellacious winds has crossed my mind. One more day I keep thinking, as my head feels like being beat up by a 2 x 4 by evening… and the forecast, well, totally wrong on all points. A little ride back to Bluff today to check the mail, we have been here a week now and we are self contained for at least another week including water and food! Even Spirit is beat, he does not even want to lay outside in the midst of ll the howling! Our daily Life on the Blog !

284393931_zWY7f-L.jpg

Back in Bluff, Utah…

That view, that serene… and windy (!!!) space is no more as we have moved back to Bluff trying to get some tranquility with the weather. There is no rest when it blows in the Desert, and so strange as there is really not much of a danger, must be a mind thing!

Just hanging out here, will be dealing with some tires that should arrive shortly. Seems that the nearest shop that could mount them is a Norton Dealer in Dolores. I have send them an e mail to find out if they could also balance them.

It is time to clean up a bit, everything we own is red, dusty and beat! Not a forgiving environment…

More roads to explore around here, trying to figure out where we are going next besides again Monument Valley where none of my pictures turned out!

More on the Blog...

Be well… Ara & Spirit

285773101_Xckv3-L.jpg

People we meet and a bit of Monument Valley, Utah

At this time of the year, a ride is a gamble trying to see the sights… always the wind which can change within even 10 miles from one place to another. We tried Monument Valley twice and got lucky once, but we will not camp there as we will be headed a bit north again, probably camp at the Needles, the southern part of Canyonland. Eventually back to Moab for a bit… and then… who knows!

We meet some interesting people on the road, they are out there, just have to bump into them or make a U turn and chat!

That is mostly what is on the Blog today, specially Joff, I lift my hat to him… you need to check out his website.

You be well… see you on the road… everyone seems to be going somewhere.

Ara & Spirit