IGNORED

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey on the road...

beemerchef

672185732_qBVGB-L.jpg

A curve ball. TX

This base camp here for the winter is not complex, I try to keep it simple, and yet I am finding ourselves surrounded with more and more conveniences. Right out of the ground comes up a phone and DSL line, there is now, borrowed, a 325 gallon water tank, a 40’ shipping container which will be used as a storage for “stuff” and “Old Faithful”, the solar is working well as long as being conservative, and a new fire pit for the Dutch Oven we tried yesterday for the first time. It is a recipe from my Friend Teri in Ennis, Montana, and I felt there was a bit of that space surrounding us while sharing our dinner with my Friends Paul and Voni. I write “our” meaning Spirit and I, as my Friend has left already. That was the “curve ball” on Saturday, pressure from Family obligations left behind, not much else to say about it besides all is again quiet within this space unlike others.

The forecast is finally showing some cooling off starting Friday, I keep thinking I just want to be cold as the heat robs a bit of my energy and puts a damper on even going away to the so many destinations that awaits for us.

Soon… Heat and humid meaning lightning storms, enjoy the photos of it on the Blog .

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com Our Journey under the Stars…

www.theoasisofmysoul.com/zenphoto/ Our new Photo Gallery…

674964140_iGDbK-L.jpg

The “Gentleness” of Life. TX

More and more, increasingly since we have been back here at The Oasis, I am feeling such a parallel between Life and Mother Nature. Havoc she creates with her powerful storms, uncomfortable is what she makes us with too much heat, and yet as Life itself going through it’s own turmoil, I find an order within all, the scales constantly tilting a bit here and a bit there, the “gentleness” of it all always comes back leaving past imprints on us, making us appreciate the delicate balance of it all.

We endured the Mother of all Storms the other night, there was only one big blob of red in the whole country and we were right in the middle of it! A bit earlier the same day and almost at the same time, we were riding with my Friend Ryan in his 4x4 Mule, a great vehicle I found out that goes everywhere, luckily got us out of the still waters before the deluge came down on us. That was on my insistence as he has yet to build up some serious awareness respecting Mother Nature. Flash floods can be detrimental to ones health all but too quickly.

Another day at “ The Oasis ”…

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

678612778_5FkQF-L.jpg

Regional Entertainment, Tx

Good weather, a Saturday (I had to know as much even if we try to live without a calendar!) and a ride to Marfa for their big weekend. But it is not only Marfa, could be Terlingua, Alpine, Marathon, Fort Davis, even the little town of Valentine, they are all joining in for festivities for what we call around here “The Season”, which is about to start. Of course never a big crowd, we are too far from the rest of the World, locals are not that of many, and yet the cash registers need to start shifting gear, summer savings must be dwindling. The Shelbys as every year were in the neighborhood, A Music Festival at the interesting RV Park / Community “El Cosmico”, The “Food Shark” with the best Falafel sandwich was crowded with a long line, and a Cat Woman slowly lingering the streets. The Galleries were open but I was told everywhere we stopped that “Art” is not doing very well unlike the Restaurants and Hotels which are full. Priorities these days must be such.

It will be time coming for a road trip, there has been much to take care of here, amazing as even Life on the road has it’s ability to furnish responsabilities that need to be taking care off.

You be well… Enjoy the Blog

Ara & Spirit

681639969_hM72H-L.jpg

Isn’t His Birthday every day? Tx

Another year has gone by as here at “The Oasis” spend throughout a multitude of emotions, Lance’s Birthday passed by with fanfare only within myself. There was no music, no cake, no laughter, but the vivid memories of what use to be on this day only seemingly moments ago.

As just on cue, the weather had turned on us, much rain again, barely allowing us to get out on these slippery mud covered with water unpaved roads.

Today however it is as the dark veil has lifted itself off, remembering my promises to go on as we have been for the past years, to stay strongly planted on this Journey, riding, hiking and just plain living, experiencing all that surrounds us throughout our own time here on this large stage Mother Nature always managing to direct on her own terms.

Maybe soon the temperatures will remain under 100 unlike yesterday when again it reached 107, a day as someone else said “I could have shoveled the humidity”.

Spirit was in an overly playful mood, it is as he tries to lift my own Spirits and does a good job at it, no doubt he is my pillar throughout these days.

Be well… more on the Blog .

Ara & Spirit

683965867_ro43Y-L.jpg

A new addition at “The Oasis”, Tx

Sorry… it is again not a ride report as putting this “Taj Majal” together has taken more time than thought. After all, who needs to read directions, instructions! I have set up tents all my Life…

It is a cozy dwelling, wood stove and hot water tank, will stand up against the rains and winds, the view is spectacular, an old table that has some local history to write on, a couple old chairs, a cot for myself when up late only having a couple steps to take to spend the night on.

The winds and the rocky grounds made this project a bit more difficult, but I am liking the result and so does Spirit as long as he gets to lay down on of course the softer side. Amazing how dogs know the soft spots, must be a sixth sense build in their temperament.

The weather is finally bearable, pleasant, feeling as we are making again a connection with an old acquaintance, as someone told me today when explaining where we are “the flats”. I like that because we are surrounded by the mountains, this is front row seat for always the best show Mother Nature puts on within Texas.

A couple tires to change, some fresh oil and some new destinations… we have only arrived, but somehow ready to go. Some day I might understand that concept, no need to right now.

More of the “ Taj Majal ”…

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

687521104_QxGeL-L.jpg

Why do I write?… and some local colors. Tx

With millions of Blogs in cyberspace I use to wonder why “writing” from so many. Eventually browsing around, the categories emerge for themselves for so many reasons of being. Staying in touch with Family, Friends, Companies are now blogging about their products, it is endless. And so I tried to put down in words my own reasons as various as they are from the traveling point, to my Buddy Spirit, cooking sometimes, my inner thoughts and state of mind often as I like to see my Blog as a “Journal” instead… of course it is called a Blog!

Perfect weather has been present these past days (not tonight as we are getting the winds from Tropical Storm Rick…) as we took a ride from Terlingua to Ft Davis. It seems to be the annual “thing” to do, see some old Friends, try for some new photos as the ride itself is always the best of it all.

Not much has changed really, everyone is getting younger and loosing weight… as I am (!!!) and going on about their own Lives as we do. The area seems pretty much being untouched from the rest of the World, the season and the off season remains the same, no one is complaining, it feels almost as we are totally detached from the ups and downs one might read.

The “good news” Blog !

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

690858201_AWqkD-L.jpg

A Ride and thoughts through Big Bend Park, Tx

Big Bend Park! Immense and desolate filled with the many Spirits lingering upon the thousands of acres we can ride through every day if we so desire. Every road, paved or not, has it’s calling. It’s physical aspect is not Zion or Bryce Canyon or even the Grand Canyon, but it’s mental one is, as designed to bring out the core of anyone’s Soul is they allow it.

I met a member from Big Bend Chat near by Maverick Rd., F. Marty, and as he said it so well “Whenever I visit another Park I always think about Big Bend, when I am here I never think about anywhere else…”, as I realize it being so true. It is therapy at it’s outmost to just be just there, a different dimension seemingly we fall into, it has it’s own little World, it’s own parameters, even weather and climate.

We are still off season right now, the cars are few, the day was as being in a private area spoiling us as never before.

More on the Blog .

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

694431173_EymPi-L.jpg

More on the papercrete homes, Tx

Well, it has finally arrived. 29 degrees this morning as I write this, I wanted cold, I got cold! It seems as the temperature has covered this Space with an even quieter blanket as a deep silence prevails this morning. Maybe the birds and everything else alive have taken cover waiting for the rays of sunshine to come trough and warm up this surface we are on.

A couple days ago, I think it was as I loose track of time here, we rode a loop which included stopping in Marathon and see my Friend Eric in charge now of the operation putting up the papercrete homes, those structures unlike any other within the Peaceful Space they are in.

We chatted a long time at the end of a work day for him, his knowledge of the Earth is intense and deep and one never leaves without gaining a richness that prevails always within the words exchanged.

It is all part of the “Ride” we are on, never being only of a physical one but very much mental taking us up always to a next level awaiting for us.

I often wonder where all this will lead us… Time will tell.

Enjoy the Blog .

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

697380161_kxTbH-L.jpg

A bite and a kite in Terlingua, Tx

For one of the rare times we had decided to stop at the Porch in Terlingua on our way to some errands, the good and the bad happened. The ugly too!!! The good is the discovery of kite flying, a smiling pass time as I discovered even if my kite is now laying in the bushes awaiting a new tail. The bad is being bit by a dog of an irresponsible owner with his four dogs out of control. I was watching them chase cars for a while, chase a motorcycle trike, watch him hit those dogs and yell at them, why didn’t I think they would also chase me while leaving? Spirit was on the wrong side, he had already send them a message earlier as they had then stayed away from him. So starts the path of calling the Sheriff and on and on. There is no Law here for rabies shots, leashes, luckily I found out that the community had made him get the shots for his dogs this past summer after such already happening incidents. Hopefully these dogs will be put away for at least 40 days soon as I will find out later on today. Maybe never show up on the Porch again.

Right now all is calm around here after a couple days of heavy winds and much rain even hail yesterday. It truly makes one appreciate the present moments…

More on the Journal .

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

702018914_YGhwm-L.jpg

An “enchanted” evening in Terlingua, Tx

I was stunned receiving these words as part of an invitation to attend a get together this past Saturday… “I have been asked by several to invite you to a Party happening here, at my House, Saturday night, October 31st. There will be 40 International Photo-Journalists (including 5 Pulitzer Prize Winners) and several of them adore your Blog. Actually they will be here for the entire weekend and beyond, and I just get them Saturday night, but I asked if I could pepper the Party with some individuals from Terlingua and they specifically asked for you…”. I started wondering if the sender had maybe made a mistake in identity which I verified with follow up e mails. The day arrived and now went by. The experience was incredible, a “ride” unlike any other as surrounded with such that have traveled the World for many years with their fingers on the shutter, providing for National Geographic, Newsweek, Times, CBS, just to name a few. Recipients of so many Worldwide Awards, and yet loving my own doings, this little Journal that has paved our past Years with my Buddy Spirit. There is no doubt it has been a “feel good” experience surrounded also with much Music, great Food and conversations.

More on the Blog

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

704038223_ygAYP-M-1.jpg

“Day of the Dead” Celebration in Terlingua, TX

Another year has gone by, this evening in Terlingua’s Cemetery the crowd has outnumbered the Spirit’s ready for the Festivities, the Food, the Music and a Joy to join in good humor and Spirituality. It is still a new concept for me, it is slowly sinking in, a Day when sadness toward the departed is set aside to make room for instead a togetherness of the minds. It is as a rebirth every year around this time, a Celebration in Mexico that has spilled over to this near border town and others along the way. It is also an occasion to converse with everyone from this Town that has gathered and maybe not seen each other for a while. It was another “enchanted” evening with clear blue skies, just the right temperature and a Moon rising as saying “here is shedding some more light on you all”.

Slowly but surely I have deepened my affection for this Town which makes me feel welcome and even more lately assists me in being part of it, a notion that has escaped me for so many years past. Yes, this could be the Last Frontier, it is also my last line of reconnaissance to feel as being planted for these winter months ahead. What more can I ask for?

More of it in the Journal including my first Video of favorite photos.

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

708035771_TQxxF-L.jpg

Slicing the Silence of Time, TX

With 217,000 miles on her I figured “Old Faithful” deserves her own video! She is dirty, she is smelly at times, but she keeps on purring and swallowing the miles to no end. I think I am addicted to those “Animoto” Videos, they are right up my alley as being so simple to put together, each being so different from one another.

I actually worked these past couple days. I am not going to say “we” because Spirit besides posing for others cameras, well, he did not do a thing. The “mission” was taking landscape photos on River Road and off Marfa while also photographing bicyclists for a gentleman that is setting up upcoming Tours, complete with support vehicles and lodging accommodations. It was fun, no doubt about it, except for the fact that there was no chatting with others met on the road! It was waiting most of the time, shoot, and go on passing them all toward the next good spot. A good concept to get paid to ride, photograph, fuel and food throughout those two beautiful perfect days. It was not much, but, a Dollar is better than no Dollar I was thinking.

Enjoy “ Old Faithful ” up close and personal!

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

711162338_djJxG-L.jpg

River Rd and Marfa, TX

So it was work, riding, stopping, photograph landscape and bicyclists, get back on, pass and wait for the next opportunity where Nature and machines would blend in perfectly. I am guessing a bicycle is a machine. If the opportunity was there I would do this once a week, there is no doubt as the day itself had great weather and light, specially early morning while on our way to join the group. There was even time for Spirit and I to play on the side of the road quite often, some great couple days. He was tired by the end of it however, for the first time laying down into the nose of his car not wanting to be my copilot as he normally is, nose over the windshield with his cheeks flapping in the wind! This Dog loves to ride, he feels important when he does, as he is.

What is next? Thanksgiving near by Houston visiting my Dear Friends Carl and Colette, much cooking anticipated including the Holiday treats. I think it will be a Culinary week! All mixed with cutting up some more Pecan wood for this upcoming winter, busy is good…

Enjoy the ride…

Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit

Enjoy

Edited by beemerchef

713715699_3Ebyb-L.jpg

The “Swimming Hole”, revisited. TX

Again and again I am drawn to that Space where everything is every time as new. Somehow the latest photos taken there have become my favorites. One has this incredible symmetry of the mountain reflection in the water and a set of jaws only Mother Nature could create by the chiseling and polishing of her rocks present. The road leading to it is not too far from here, an unpaved road which only turns into being a bit challenging for the last mile or so. Even Spirit is now familiar with the surroundings. Trotting around as he owns the place, finding comfortable shade for himself, jumping high and low to be near by me at all time. The above photo is as it has just snowed a few moments ago. The sand even was still wet and shiny with imprints of a bird seeking water and even maybe shelter just a bit while ago. It truly is magic and more being able to combine a ride and a presence playing with Spirit and the camera so close by.

I managed to create a Video with all the photos in a bigger format and sharper images. Hope it works well…

Enjoy

Ara & Spirit Enjoy

Edited by beemerchef

716566376_i3Ro2-L.jpg

Big Bend State Park. TX

It was “Fiesta Day” at the Big Bend State Park. The long awaited and postponed a couple times affair was finally secure on the calendar, both Ranger’s and Mother Nature’s good weather forecast. It is the largest State Park in Texas, over 300,000 acres of Chihuahuan Desert within a rugged, remote and unpopulated setting. It encompasses two Mountain ranges containing ancient extinct volcanoes, many canyons and waterfalls. This weekend however the terrain must have been in shock as near 500 attendees were present for the festivities. Too late to have a camping “reservation”, we rode in and out for the day meaning riding in a fog of dust unlike any other riding time. 27 miles of unpaved road where even some smart moves waiting for others to pass and get on with it during a break did not help. Even Spirit’s goggles where covered with that fine dust, I only thought about it later, we should have worn bandanas on our mouth coming and going. The exposure was intense. No warnings.

Much preparation on their part, it is a Park with low attendance and luring hikers, mountain bikers and now motorcycles I hope will bring the numbers up. It was a long day for the both of us even if lunch was of a free one.

More on the Journal

Be well.

Ara & Spirit

718401762_3gntK-L.jpg

“The Mosasaur Ranch Museum” in Terlingua. TX

That word “Mosasaur” is not even in my spelling directory… yet. It was a cold ride that morning, all well worth it as I had heard of this Museum just recently, surprised. It is a hands on experience one coming to this area should not let escape. No big banner, no big neon signs, they do have a website as they are in between Terlingua and Lajitas on the North side of the road. Can’t miss it, there is a rod iron Mosasaur being built in progress.

And now, our last evening here for a while as we are headed out east to the suburbs of Houston for much cooking, riding and sightseeing, a much needed adventure so we can miss this place and come right back! Might not have a chance to post too much here, but somehow my writing and photography do not stop, I could not live without, it is my personal expression of our Life. Spirit is also ready, helmet and goggles, a couple bandanas. He will have a couple Friends to play with, hopefully this time will not be chased by a horse as he was during our last visit. He also has a new Friend that is going to fit him with a coat we will pick up on the way back… as I said “how about me?”. No use…

Be well…

Be well... Ara & Spirit

722150618_HtWr7-L.jpg

Road trip. Tx

Sometimes it is above all being on the right mechanical path of a road trip, the mental aspect of it is as a stage brightening up as the miles roll away, it is not a game, there is no “tilt” anytime. I have given up trying to figure out why these days to near by Houston have felt so good, they just did, I will leave it at that, sometimes why try to understand what “is“.

Big day here at my Friends house on Thursday, many invites and much food I will help with. We actually went food shopping today. I have been craving fresh fish. We have Lobsters, Cod, Shrimp, all fresh, non frozen and the stores, well… I realize the compromise, the big bargain I have made when it comes to food when walking through such a store as a new H.E.B. as big as a football field. When at “The Oasis” food is only a need it seems like compared to here now when food can be a true pleasure cooked in fusion of it all, specially being a Chef all these years. I would not trade, jokingly I was saying that Spirit and I will be moving to the City… but yet, food and it’s preparation having been a big part of my Life with a passion for it as strong as riding or photography now, there is no choice, there is no regret, just thoughts of how nice it would be to have such a store in Alpine maybe!

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Ara & Spirit

727948060_eL3jP-L.jpg

Waiting, waiting in Houston. TX

So I am already missing “The Oasis” but a cold front coming up or down, forgot which way, is holding us up probably till morning only when we will then brave the colder temps for a couple of days. It has been all good, better than good. Great company with Friends, a warm bed and much great food, so much as I have almost decided not to eat today… almost if it was not for those little mini Pecan Pies laying on the kitchen counter and a leg of lamb that followed us yesterday. We stopped at an amazing food store yesterday called “Phoenicia” and the smell of spices, sights of such foreign ingredients brought up such incredible memories of years so far past.

We are having a great time, Spirit has two buddies to play with as they put up with him since I have also been calling him a “trouble maker”, but the road call, snow, sleet or rain no matter.

More photos of the George Ranch on the Journal today with also a video encompassing from the 1830’s to 1930’s, over one hundred years of four Families living within the many acres right next store to now the fourth largest city in the USA .

Till next time…

Be well.

Ara & Spirit

731120925_WQGar-L.jpg

Back to “The Oasis”. Tx

Seemed like a long road these past couple days riding in the upper 30’s to mid 40’s, an unusual change of the weather in this part of the country. I wore everything I had from heated gloves and jacket to balaclava, turtle neck, and for the first time my legs almost froze up! Spirit also wore everything he had, two of his new coats, the upper layer being a vinyl fleece lined raincoat. The timing could not have been any better as he is hard to fit and a store bought coat generally never firts him one way or another.

They are still predicting snow for tonight and tomorrow as Ft Davis only about 100 miles from here was gifted with 3 to 7 inches of it. Wish it would happen, the camera is ready.

My Friend Carl arrived here a day earlier, driving, trailering his bike and this huge load of Pecan wood. To my surprise it has already been unloaded and stacked. Crazy Friends I have! Good “crazy” that is… I wish I had been the one doing it, I have gained five pounds on this little Holiday jaunt. Back to the slimmer meals tomorrow, tonight is a burned grilled cheese not paying much attention to it.

I finally managed to post the Thanksgiving photos in the Journal , great times and great food I am trying not to look at right now.

Till next time, you be well.

Ara & Spirit

733605841_ZJEHu-L.jpg

The Last Frontier. TX

I am exactly 5lbs heavier. It only took two weeks. We ate, we talked, we napped, repeat. I speak for myself, Spirit ran more than ever playing with his buddies, trying to anyhow besides being often a non sense to them on their own turf. We arrived back a couple days ago, a bit of a rough ride due to cold weather and my softening from being a bit further away in years. Just another way to say I am just not as tough as before…

My Friend Carl was ahead of us by a day, of course he was driving and trailering our wood and his own bike, much Pecan wood. I was looking forward to stacking it, if it was for the only reason to spend some calories, but to my surprise he had the same thought and all was neatly packed above ground when we arrived.

It then got colder, much colder, it snowed, no riding, the bikes never moved and as he said, if he was just going to sit and wait, why not do it in his own vehicle returning home. Of course today in the upper 70’s, just another beautiful day in Big Bend Valley or the Flats, as they call it.

Summer is a long ways away, somehow Utah came to mind as it does often and end up putting together another photo~video I called “A slice of Utah”.

Till next time, you all be well.

Ara & Spirit

737576244_YgyGx-L.jpg

“Ooommmmmmmmmm”. Tx

Yes, we “Ooomm” a lot in the Desert, total freedom to do so and feel uplifted from what might have been stored in the mind. Maybe I need to “Ooomm” tonight also as sitting in Midland waiting for the first round of gum surgery to happen. Second round in January. So much to look forward to. With age creeps up the ailments, with the ailments creeps up the bills as I have been in shock of the estimated price, specially being a Christmas present from my Dear Mother. Even Spirit is not happy as he has lost his space to run for now, I can’t wait to get him back to “The Oasis” tomorrow I hope. Life on the road with never ending surprises.

The past days have been for some relaxing ones even with the threat of strong winds for the area. Much cooking on fire, cooking for a few days as to not waste the precious wood that made it’s way from far away Houston. And again the road calls, maybe a visit to the Chinati Hot Springs might be a good idea to relax a bit.

The greatest gift these past days have been the sunrises. There are a couple photos on the Journal that have left their fingerprints.

Be well,

Ara & Spirit

742510181_AzPBp-L.jpg

A walk in the Park, Big Bend. Tx

Falling behind the times, “time” that has been escaping me these past days after gum surgery, part I, more to come in January. It is as everything must stop for the body to recuperate as the mind also changes gear and stuck in neutral has not had much energy to even come here. I did manage to put up a photo video documenting a bit the past first days when the sidecar arrived, delivered by truck, Spirit’s first ride with his goggles on sitting crooked… Some fond memories which reminded me that such a video can only handle a few photos, as an over 100,000 photos Library has been build over these past years. As I go through the folders I constantly surprise myself seeing the memories of so many places we have been, so many others we have met and yet, there are still so many we have not physically encountered as we only write back and forth, again as time permits.

The road is filled with so many we constantly meet such as a young man while doing laundry that impressed me for having such Spirituality at such early age, moved through Life with the word “HOPE” in big shiny and lit neon sign. They are the human interest moments of this Journey, such as also a walk through Indian Trail where amazingly Spirit saved me from a Federal Offense and much complication that could have ensued.

Much news on a couple new posted Blogs

Be well, Ara & Spirit

744846194_Zs3Ya-L.jpg

Just in time for the Holiday! Tx

Today the skies are covered with gray and the sun is barely making it’s way to show us the light. But “sunny” is my Heart and with open arms welcoming the moments present. The past couple days have been unlike today, dark and somber, a past Friend managing to unleash their own dark personality on me… a long story I had to put in words to move it on away from my Soul as it is the purpose of this personal Journal of mine that I keep writing on. Just another “kind” of a ride report, they are not always on three wheels, the mental aspect often has a way to penetrate the deeper milestones that move on with their various speeds, forms and shapes. “It’s all good” and we too will joy for the Holidays coming with visits from many Friends suddenly in touch before their own presence.

Our last ride, the physical one “Old Faithful” took us on, was to “The Closed Canyon”. A beautiful ride on River Rd passed Lajitas, westward toward Presidio. No one was in sight, we had the hike to ourselves till we reached a drop not present the last time. Afraid to not be able to come back up we turned around and had a great afternoon. Canyons are always a challenge to me to photograph because of the intensity of the many various lights. You be the www.theoasisofmysoul.com Our Journey under the Stars…

Be well… Ara & Spirit… and just in case “HAPPY HOLIDAYS”

748727560_hpyhE-L.jpg

“The Point of my Balance”. Tx

Everyone must be getting ready for the Magical upcoming evening and day. We are too in our own fashion as it all started this morning with more blue skies after a windy stormy evening of yesterday. It was more viewing of this incessant show in 3D within this incredible stage. It is reflection time for many I know, with a new number on a New Year’s “date” coming up, it has been reflections within also myself to find a better balance throughout this Journey as I now know it can be done, must be done and acquired.

Dinner with the neighbors and Friends, rides to Terlingua for their annual Christmas lunch~dinner, there is lots going on here if one chooses to participate. We call it “Desert” here, but it is not inhabited, the community is strong and as we have been coming back every winter, more and more I feel the welcome has increased making me strongly feel part of it all. A nice feeling throughout these Holiday times.

Wishing a Merry Christmas from the bottom of my Heart to everyone here as Spirit is wagging his tail in total agreement.

Enjoy the photos of this past evening where the skies would just not stop changing their costumes at the blink of an eye…

Be well… Always.

Ara & Spirit

Edited by beemerchef

750278689_EnQMN-L.jpg

Christmas Day, Texas style…

There is much to be said when invited to the “Cowhead Ranch” for Christmas Day lunch~dinner, meaning “lots of good food” and great company with characters that could fill the credits of a Western movie. Spirit himself, at times the leader of the pack of a multiple dog gang, sometimes however chased, had the time of his Life. Only till I finally put him up on a long leash to avoid trying to figure out where he was at all time.

It was a good time for all, neighbors getting together to celebrate the day gratified by great weather.

A few days left for this one exceptional year, one that has truly brought up to the surface much schooling of this Life we have chosen a while back. I feel as these past days of been the culmination of much learning, of many new Friends, a truer chosen path to live the moment and yet think a bit about where will lay the next avenues to ride on.

Lets keep on riding, two wheels, three wheels, even four! I am not prejudiced as long as the wind is in my face and an unequaled sense of freedom is upon me while putting on the miles awaiting us.

Enjoy the “ Cowhead Ranch ”… they are open for visitors, their fire is burning, the horses are ready to take you for a ride you will never forget…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

753041277_uvQpj-L.jpg

Wishing you all a Happy New Year from Santa Elena Canyon. Tx

It was again a visit to Big Bend National Park the other day, showing off our backyard to a Friend visiting for a couple days. I loose count how many times we ourselves been to Santa Elena Canyon. I also loose it seems the fact of it’s beauty and constant changes in it’s array of what lays always in front of us. It is so close, so accessible, I think I make the mistake to overlook it’s offerings. A reminder to go more often. It reminds me when living and working in Florida by the most beautiful beaches to never go and get sand all over us.

It was a day one could not have asked for better weather and better light to play a bit with the camera, even splashing some rocks in the water to work out that shutter. Just like kids we did.

I just looked at the Calendar and realized tomorrow is the last Day of this present year, these days past which have been good to us, wishing more of it for everyone else reading these words. More and more “time” seems to have shrunk from my Life, many new Friends have made their way into our path and yet many more roads await us. So we do the best we can with the moments we have, one at the time hoping the shoulders of those roads ahead will present themselves as they often do with a wave of such Friends.

You be well… always.

Ara & Spirit

755790545_Stir4-L.jpg

Into the New Year, more of Big Bend. Tx

Finally the maintenance on Old Faithful is totally finished, including reinforcing the rear rack supporting my camera case. Seems as the oil changes are endless, one after another they are due. When one does not have a car, that is however generally the case. We are into the New Year obviously, the temps are cold and colder in the mornings, afternoons see me in a short sleeve T shirt. I was thinking about how long it takes us to get ready on an early morning and wrote about it step by step. I find it pretty hilarious, thinking most that have never ridden or are fair weather riders will also share that humor as I can only see it as such.

Big Bend Park has renewed my energy to start exploring it’s spaces again, the ones we have access to it, paved roads, unpaved roads, no trails… Same old story of “no dogs” on trails in National Parks. But, it is only a few miles from here, I am on a quest of new discoveries for this year.

We are here and we are there, this space and a bit ahead at times, wrongly so maybe, but the road never cease to call us as much as we love it here. It is the eternal quest I feel, the eternal balance trying to maintain.

I picked my favorite photo of the Year… enjoy it.

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

I think to sum up the last four years, you could say it's a life well traveled.

A toast to the coming year!

Oh, and someone says hello http://www.408views.com/Other/R/riley-new-years/756416838_iCa9e-L.jpg

Very cool!!! We might see you this coming summer... or something like that! Thanks... Why is he getting smaller!!!

758327146_SosZk-L.jpg

A ride to Boquillas Canyon. Tx

Sometimes within this big land of ours, no destination is a great one and becomes an even better Journey. Why bother knowing the miles, the time, getting there… Even considering the fact that we cannot hike the trails together, Spirit and I, the Park still remains one of my favorite destination, so vast, with still many roads forking to the left and right and many photos to take. Boquillas Canyon is where we end up the other day. I like to go to the look out, unpleasant as it is to see this little Village named Boquillas, isolated because of some bureaucracy needing to be followed. The Border is closed. There is always someone to talk to and their jovial personality considering their situation is always so refreshing. I actually feel more comfortable in such Spaces and conversations than being into a City as I was not too long ago.

We are getting ready for a real cold spell, that is what they say anyhow. To the point right now when a ride is so enjoyed as maybe we will have to stay put for a couple of days… an Artic front! “The high temperatures will be 25 to 30 degrees below normal…” It is really promising this time. I have no clue where else we could go to stay warmer during the winter months and yet have the beautiful space as here. So… we will endure it a bit!

Enjoy the ride…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com Our Journey under the Stars… Our Journey under the Stars…

760818408_kQqf8-L.jpg

Riding the Wave… Tx

Woke up to 4 degrees this morning, yes, “four”. I cannot even remember when I have been surrounded by such temperatures. I realize sticking my nose out there that it did not make much difference from 30 or similar numbers.

Within one hour it jumped up to 28! January is just going to be one of those month as the nights truly are making me appreciate the bit warmer times of the day, almost hot compared. I can’t wait for “Global Warming” to become a reality!

Once again Terlingua proved to be a town unlike others only a day before this glacial front as we went in for propane and provisions. Deserted Ghost Town it was, waiting for the store to open in the afternoon I did not even find anyone to chat with! Whatever preparations went on, the locals must have been hard at it, no cars, not a soul. “Terlingua Trading Company” was however open, I had never as seriously adventured myself throughout the aisles, specially with a camera in hand, after of course asking for permission. Have to ask, always, people get upset… I know.

So really not much else is new, besides AT&T totally cutting me off from voice and data roaming. Does not matter if you sign up for “free roaming”, read the very fine prints as I did not. I have been asked to look for another carrier. None of course will work with the I Phone. Anyone for a slightly always covered and protected I Phone? Which reminds me to ask to stop sending me attachments please. Links only are fine as this is the second go around with a second carrier. At this point I might loose soon all connections, no one truly realizes the complexity and costs to stay connected as we do. Enjoy

Enjoy… and be well. Ara & Spirit

762806726_5xCP8-L.jpg

Winter rambling… Tx

I feel fortunate in these times of not going backwards. The logistics of the present weather has us pinned down into short days as I am ready to bolt out through those inexistent and only imaginary doors into what use to be. I know too well it will be here soon, the longer days, the warmer times, seeking for shade when now instead chasing the sun.

As a Friend wrote me today…

“Don’t you know that living in Nature in the open air as you do, you are entitled to tuck away and hibernate along with the other critters hibernating right now, and not “feel guilty” hanging out with Friends and good hearty food”

It is amazing how so often as much as my gears keep unraveling, a few words from a Friend can make a difference. I know this is what all of us are all about. Words and thoughts of kindness toward each other, supporting each other within all present times. So important to all of us.

We had a couple visitors, an old Friend “Donna” and a new Friend, her Husband “Stu”, Spirit’s new buddy! I had to be careful he would not take off with him… I think he likes his truck now much better than his own sidecar. I cannot blame him at times… One needs to think how long he has been putting on the miles throughout these years in all kinds of weather. He loves it!!!

Well, enjoy the rest of my rambling … winter words!

Be well, Ara & Spirit

765234670_7qWFR-L.jpg

Paint Gap Rd, Big Bend. Tx

A clearing in the weather? We are out there in a heartbeat… we are out taking advantage of it. Not today… The pattern has changed here, what were days in and days out of good weather is just no more. This is actually the second day raining while I write this and as I had planned to ride to the Mariscal mines in the Park, even with some sunny skies projected for tomorrow, we might have to wait for the unpaved roads to dry.

But we did have a chance to hang out on Paint Gap Rd for a day, just a couple miles off the main road, far enough to enjoy the serenity and silence surrounding us. The road calls for high clearance but overall a decent one, only for a short time we had to crawl the hack a bit hitting the skid plates here and there. It is a road and so Spirit was able to “legally” hike with me, those are the roads we will look from now on. A few photos were fun here and there, specially when turning around with the Chisos in sight. We did not meet anyone that day, I know all this will change soon.

I am depending more and more on my SPOT and SAT phone in deeper more isolated areas with rougher roads. Having the Ranger’s phone number and also giving them my web share page as with the short days and cool night we are out of there by the time they close. As most should know, this is rugged country not to be taken lightly.

Enjoy the photos

Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit

767875627_Z86Go-L.jpg

The ride to Mariscal Mines, Big Bend. TX

Time here has a way to slip by so fast. I can understand why “out of towners” while jovial here might suddenly upon their return to the big City loose whatever “smile” they had gained while here. Time... just not enough of it to do, see and feel it all. Stopping in Terlingua on our way to the Mines set us back a bit late arriving there. The ride was of a fine one with Spring in the air, so much so that I declared Winter being over. We arrived too late to explore the buildings and even to take some good photos of them as they face east and their shadows arising were too quick for us. We will definitely go back again soon and spend the night to be there for sunrise as it is a space in the Park so unlike any other. Hard to believe that anyone actually worked there, specially in the summers with temperatures over 100 degrees daily and the nights not that much cooler. East River Rd is a good road only requiring high clearance but no four wheel drive needed. Stretches actually where easy 3rd gear and higher speeds, some others of course very rocky with many dry bed creek crossings, some steep enough for “Old Faithful” to have some fun. Instead of staying there till dark, I decided to head back and catch the good light on our return. The golden hour is just so incredible, orange and pink and mauve and all in between, a bit of coolness descended on the ride, it was still just a long sleeve T shirt and jacket day all the way back to the paved road.

The days and nights right now continue to be as remembered from past seasons here. It was over 80 today. Just right.

Enjoy the road and the Farmers Market...

Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit

Edited by beemerchef

770244901_fuKNT-L.jpg

More of the Mariscal Mines. TX

Today we are sitting at the Hospital in Midland awaiting surgery tomorrow morning. One more! Only gums and yet, well, this one will be deeper (for lack of better words) and mure hurtful. I hope we can get out of here by Saturday as Spirit is also the one taking a beating within his days and nights as all he can do is wait for me. Poor guy!

At least I can sit here reliving my memories of our last ride, specially the moment when for the first time we saw the Mariscal Mines dwellings. It was a bit as a mirage, but they were there, themselves having left behind their own memories of a few years past from 1900 to 1943.

Arriving too late as the buildings facing east had already been in the shadows for a while, it was only a short hike, grab a bite to eat and head back enjoying the sunset on River Road. Definitly planning to go back and spend a few nights, the space is just too inviting not to.

Managed to put together a photo~video of the ride with all the photos and, to me, great background music. I do realize them needing a fast connection as even myself except on my hard drive I watch them being cut off. You can click pause while playing and let it run to again click on play with then no interruption.

Be well... www.theoasisofmysoul.com Our Journey under the Stars… and maybe when here plan on the same ride, drive... you will never regret it.

Ara & Spirit

772082154_4SuwN-L.jpg

The Roads less traveled. TX

The going to Midland was definitely more exciting than the return yesterday. Never thought I would want to get off the road so often bugged down by pain and medication, as the side effects of anti swelling and anitbiotics are just as bad as anything else including the traces of some anesthesia that will probably linger for a while. All is behind now as I am thinking a bit more of those nostalgic roads we took, adorned quite often with what was once in the past a richer one, today dwindling with old cars and trucks and caved in dwellings left behind. I keep wondering if “all that” will also change some day or will the next traveler 100 years down the road will still witness the same memories.

I think these coming days we will just recupperate and try to gain some strenght back. Spirit on the other hand needs to spend some of that strenght, he has been so patient awaiting and waiting some more, supporting me with his kind temperement, if only those eyes could talk louder.

The weather, besides some very strong winds, is cooperating, a bit of warmth is always good and sunshine has also a way to recharge those batteries depleted these past days. Could have been time on my hands or just feeling the few photos on the Journal would fit the days in black and white better, that is the format they are in.

Enjoy and be well. Ara & Spirit

775433136_xJnZA-L.jpg

Six Years ago, today. TX

The ride through our days can so much differ from time to time, from day to day. Quiet it has been lately, trying to get over the surgery which has hit me a bit harder than thought, quiet also has been reliving the day when Lance departed six years ago. He went on his own ride and yet he has never left me. He is daily part of my driving force on this Journey of ours, it is never only the motorcycle, the sidecar with Spirit's presence, a camera, Mother Nature, Friends and new experiences, it is “him” always by my side with a promise made I will not break. “I will go on”, that is the one. I use to be very angry just a few years ago, always felt as being targeted as the one having lost their only child, but today, on this Day, my Heart also goes for the many others that have lost their Loved ones and are also on the ride of their Lives. I spoke with a Friend near by yesterday, a very fanous photographer that has lost his own Son only a year ago, we so much understood each other as we called ourselves members of the “Tough Club”, not the “Elite Club” as I use to think. As yes, it is tough and as much support as I receive from others I try on this Day to also give back to the ones needing such support themselves.

I should have run out of words throughout these times, but I do not as the steps climbed always present an expression of feelings unknown before.

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

779350385_a5eQJ-L.jpg

A Canvas of so many Spaces. TX

I often wonder throughout these present times if my words to myself makes any sense. Lets face it, the weather has yet to be conductive for farther destinations as “The Oasis” always provide us with the needed shelter, as even today, planning a few days toward “Chinati Hot Springs”, will be curtailed by a rainy forecast and heavy winds. So there is more thoughts that linger versus more miles taken. There are more local rides and more seeing familiar faces in the surrounding also familiar neighborhoods. As this past Saturday when stumbling on a free BBQ at the Ghost Town Park in Terlingua. Of course “free food” is always welcome, even better when it is good as this might have been the best brisket I have ever had, and the icing on the cake being the familiar faces which I already know we will not see as soon we will be moving on, the northern spaces awaits us. A bit of Music as there is always a Musician or two, or three that day for that matter, ready to entertain us and play their chords together, interesting conversations and some pondering while looking around at the many faces present. Listening to a happy traveler, also hearing another unhappy one, it was all part of the day while Spirit with his nose up into the wind could only wish some of that brisket would find it's way toward him! The years I notice are going by as I looked at the cast present. Some are a bit slower then past times, some are a bit more thoughtful then past years, it is always the present reality that makes up this Space we are in ourselves and makes it so interesting.

More black and whites... I found them being more suited for the occasion.

Be well... always, Ara & Spirit

781528158_mf9Zi-L.jpg

Much to be “Thankful” for. TX

“They say” it has been the coldest winter, it has been the wettest January in these past 25 years and I can attest to it. Which means next winter will be real nice? The rain came down in buckets and suddenly like magic the skies opened up, we ran outside, photos, splashin in the mud, even Spirit who does not care much for water (as he was abused with a fire hydrant) was just like a kid running and jumping. We could have paddled for sure that day... Maybe next time a surfboard for him pulled by Old Faithful. We did manage to get out the next day and run up to “Sotol Look Out” in the Park, it is my point of meditation, it is my getaway from our getaway, the ultimate breathing station.

I am starting to again feel human for the first time this morning. Maybe those chemicals from the 3 hour of anesthesia are finally dissipating. All I can say is that it feels good. Bright sunny day, will probably be in the low seventies, the winds are predicted all the way up to 20mph, probably more. I will take that over much of the past weather we have had.

I took the opportunity this time around to “thank much” everyone that has helped us through thick and thin in more ways than one including all our sponsors as I started writing about them having not realized they were quite a few landing a hand in products and otherwise that keeps us going .

Till next time... Be well.

Ara & Spirit

783859865_KRpuG-L.jpg

A ride through the Ghost Town of Shafter. TX

It all started with a such different thought. Camping at the Hot Springs in Chinati, but we end up riding the paved loop through Marfa, down to Presidio and back to Terlingua on River Road, one of my favorite. A tire needing changing wanting to keep off too many miles of rocky terrains, much on my mind filled with thoughts, thoughts written into my Journal yesterday, we yet have to make it to those Hot Springs. Shafter, the Old Ghost Town was the highlight, besides a couple slices of the great “white pizza” from the “Pizza Connection” in Marfa.

Not many changes in Shafter, of course not, the changes happened years ago. Much information is on the Internet, one site even has some good old Texas Music. There is always however something new to see and experience, some new photos, old is always as new everytime if and when we return to a past space.

It is going to be one more round trip to Midland this week, the last one. Finally. Then on to another Dentist in Valentine. It is that time to get reorganized. It is as always that trigger happy time on the horizon that will see us leave for new destinations, and as usual missing “The Oasis” as soon as we leave. I yet have to figure that one out.

Not much else is new, a couple nice days and now bracing ourselves again for more cold temperatures, they are even talking about some snow. It has been the coldest and rainiest winter here in 25 years the local Ranchers are saying. Sure builds up some character and yet, we have nothing to complain about when I look at the Northern weather maps!

Be well... always.

Ara & Spirit

785640661_QVmDG-L.jpg

Just another back road... TX

With much preparation for the upcoming months, the too short good weather window opportunities, we play much in our own backyard. Private roads, yes, but also for us much freedom to roam around and also for Spirit to run around without the many Laws and Bylaws of the Park near by. A great day, a few clouds, sunshine intermittent, another opportunity to explore and find out how much the landscape has changed since the last big rain. I was even a witness to another Friend visiting and herself falling in love with the area, looking to purchase some land very soon, however warned about the peripherals being costly even if the land itself is not. Power, water, telephone and Internet connection, a dwelling... Some look, some look even more and most never return engulfed back by the past City Life considering also the distance needed to arrive here. I often joke that we are here at “the end of the World”. A bit true. I am glad we ourselves can call it our “true backyard”.

The usual is coming up. It starting to feel as a routine. One more round trip to Midland tomorrow, some more work on “Old Faithful” changing again her tires, one more layer of JB Weld covering the hole from a rock on the front engine cover. Some new bungees holding the great saddlebag system, and on and on for the hopefully trouble free coming months of more riding.

Enjoy our backyard ...

Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit

788225005_zZMkf-L.jpg

Balmorhea.TX

This was the closest we where going to get near a massive body of water yesterday. A little over 100 miles from here, through Alpine and passed Ft Davis, the “San Solomon Spring” was a nice welcome in conjunction with the great weather we are having here. “Old faithful” has been all fixed up even if throughout the day decided to go blink on all tail lights, Spirit, well, as usual in great “spirits”, myself more than eager to ride, get that helmet on, turn on the music as I am getting use to this novelty on long stretches.

Many numbers go along with the huge pool of water, the one I cannot get use to is the flow of 23 to 28 millions of gallons per day when we ourselves use maybe a bit over a couple hundred gallons per month. If only some could be diverted here.

I was also surprised at the lack of anyone around besides a few divers taking classes for their certification. The area is desolate. All will change soon due to Spring Break, in the meantime I feel as this is the best days so far to enjoy it all. Not much else really going on, getting some vague plans firmed up for the summer... Does not make senses, does it?

Enjoy the Pool ...

Be well...

Always.

Ara & Spirit

790717330_EGSBA-L.jpg

“Living the Dream?”.TX

I am so aware of Spirit and I living the Dream of many, having been on the road now for over 3 years, however a bit stagnant throughout this winter season. The weather has not cooperated very much, daylight is now on the horizons as I am making preparations. Maybe go East a bit to Louisiana taking a Texas southern route. That is in between Dentist appointments. Being on the road was never foreign to me as it was for Spirit who has become a real trooper traveling with much ease and contentment. Of course we enjoy the Journey, Mother Nature's facets always present, the new Friends we have made, it is the reason of the Journey I wish would have been different as it was never a Dream for me to travel as such, as the only outlet I could contemplate after Lance's departure. “Bitter~Sweet” is always the words within my thoughts as I live both sides of the coin trying to juggle, yes, that “Dream” and the emotions which goes along, emotions from both end of the spectrum. We are moving right along...

We took a ride to Terlingua again, it is the nearest store when we run out of this or that, it It also always a pleasure to sit with new Friends and have great conversations about their own very interesting pasts.

So are my thoughts these past days ...

Be well, Ara & Spirit

792633507_bAKek-L.jpg

Friends. TX

Life on the road is so faceted, so governed by the weather it seems like. To the point to unfortunately upsetting Northerners, mental “Paradise” type setting has returned these past days. Friends also have reappeared, distant neighbors only remote physically as the smiles when seeing each other again are always from ear to ear. It was the case a couple evenings ago when a few of us rejoined for a meal, one always so gratifying as everyone contributes toward the distinct courses. I definitely left a bit heavier with not too far to go and Spirit, well, that is another story in itself. What can I say, the Dog has no manner or maybe is it because he had never earlier in his Life met a Donkey up close and personal. Needless to say it was pure entertainment as Biscuit was the chaser and Spirit the recipient trying to stay ahead, mostly trying to not be surprised by a sudden attack! Such is Life, in the slow lane as we like to think. Good food, conversations, “good people” as I like that expression a lot. More Friends have shown these past couple days, they have now already left, I have not even looked at the photos, but again I think a couple more pounds have mysteriously reappeared somewhere around the belt.

I see snow and sleet in Tuesday's forecast, hard to believe, maybe a bad joke from the Weather Services, will find out soon.

In the meantime enjoy our past get together of Friends .

Be well, Ara & Spirit

794973131_8m65T-L.jpg

Next, the Big Screen? TX

It has been a big weight off my chest to announce today in our Journal about a Movie in the making which all started May 5th 2008. As everything else on everyone's path such a disclosure is a double edge sword. I look forward to the day, if it happens, when I can see credits reading “Dedicated to Lance Gureghian”, and at the same time I like to stay in the background of this Life we have chosen. We have good support, we have very talented people in this circle that is now spinning and such a disclosure was a must considering we are close to a final script before going on the Market. I keep looking at Spirit and wondering if he knows... He is after all “The Star” and I am so happy that he is a Pit Bull to show the character of his breed. I am happy that I ride a hack, maybe it will increase it's popularity, I am happy we mainly tour this beautiful County of ours and will show the sights we have been and with more to come. But above it all, to me it is sharing the simplicity and the awareness of this Life we have chosen, the fact that one can survive a personal tragedy and yet take in the gifts long the way. We are an excellent crew on this project, we are keeping it real as the Journal has been, we have much faith that it will become reality soon. We hope that Spirit will still be young enough to play his own part... mine? Well, we are all seeking for Robin Williams as the perfect candidate... More details are in the Journal , we will now put all this “announcement” behind us and go on as we always have been.

Be well... always, Life is full of surprises.

Ara & Spirit

Edited by beemerchef

797695735_8QVuH-L.jpg

A Crystal web... TX

Maybe this weather is getting to me, or was, as now writing this we are in full summer mode. Feels like it anyhow while going through the Park yesterday down to one T shirt and all the vents open through the riding jacket, much more water consumed also. Water is the biggest necessity I always keep an eye on. We can carry at the most six gallons which in the heat of the summer is barely enough for three days for the both of us. Plenty of fuel, eleven gallons I can leave with, but through our rides if ever near a small town the faucets of potable water are my friends. Of course I also have a water purifier that comes along, never had to use it much. In a couple days I will be going through my gear again, feels like a pass time often but I think this time I will make a list of it all, I just have too many compartments to remember where everything is at. Lucky Spirit, he does not have to remember anything but eat, drink and run! It's alright though, he does his share and more, 24/7.

Couple days ago 3 to 5 inches of snow while going to the Dentist. All that gray, all the “being extremely cautious” and another afternoon of poking and dremmel grinding just did not suit me well. I need to learn to stay within my element even in some of my urban dealings, a hard task sometimes for me. My thoughts are always in the Journal ...

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

800017021_iAD5H-L.jpg

A Day in Life and Big Bend Park. TX

Like a giant coin thrown up in the air the weather keeps landing with a surprising fashion. I lifted my head yesterday as all day allowed us to be outside, going through some camping gear, details to patch up on “Old Faithful”, as suddenly I see this gray wall incoming and the smell of dust in the air with already bursts of winds preceding it all. Scrambling and throwing everything in “Big Green”, shut the doors, just in time for what felt like 50+ mph winds which were clocked as such in Panther Junction. A bit north of Ft Davis “92 Mph winds recorded at the Observatory this afternoon”.

A day earlier was a totally different story. Mild temperatures, great ride into the Park to meet some riders from the MotoCamper.com Forum and a ride back under the lit skies from an almost full Moon. It was one of those more than perfect day, the kind we never want it to end including great conversations and an unexpected dinner. Spirit had a blast with two new buddies who also ride, they each have their own sidecar. The ride back under an almost full Moon was one of those rare experiences, a bit as being in Space, a Spaceman and a Space-dog with helmets on cutting through the night, a pleasure hard to describe. This should be the last day of the heavy winds, they wear me out. This too shall pas as they say. More in the Journal ...

Be well... always.

Ara & Spirit

804332636_P2BN6-L.jpg

The Chinati Hot Springs and more! TX

And more... Only because as the days are getting longer, so are the rides and so are the destinations without Internet. Ah! The Internet... it comes down to sometimes only posting a Journal entry as it's writing and photos are laid out off line and it takes only a couple minutes to, if lucky borrowing a connection, publish it. Such as now, a couple entries later we are back at “The Oasis”. I wanted to document our gear before leaving, which I somehow did realizing it would take hundreds of photos to accomplish it all.

I wanted to mention our presence in Amado, Arizona, on April 16th attending “Overland Expo” where a VIP tag is awaiting Spirit and myself will be part of a panel on questions on how to travel alone. Then on our destination was “The Chinati Hot Springs” through “Pinto Canyon Rd” which could have been a mistake for us due to it's roughness at the present time. It says something when even the locals avoid such a road. We are on the verge of Spring break and all was still very quiet, we had the place to ourselves actually including the communal kitchen, the giant tub, one of them. A bit of excitement also as a forced fire on the Mexican side jumped the river, the winds kept the smoke away from us up to the day we left which was yesterday. I hope this will entice for others to go and spend a few days just being. Truly a great getaway within this present getaway ...

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

807073853_aDvNh-L.jpg

At “war” with myself. TX

When immersed within such isolated areas, pretty much spending much time by ourselves, the personal thoughts never stop grinding the gears, daily, hourly and often constantly. That is just how it is for me and in words they transfer on the pages of my Journal. Their volume become intense as being more or less in familiar surroundings, they lessen as we go on to then unfamiliar spaces as we will very soon. Early April becomes as another “starting” line and as harsh as winter has been for us, comparatively speaking with the previous ones, time has flown away as a vanished calendar.

With the days getting longer I am finding myself with much less sleep and yet at the same time energized by much sunshine forcing myself eventually to get some shut eyes. Soon the time will again change, it is amazing how temperament can switch in accordance to the amount of daylight and weather.

We have to stay local this week, more Dentist calls coming up this Friday and more likely Monday again, it is getting old, I can't wait to be done and feel with no ties to be anywhere at any time.

The past winds and fire even so hundred or more miles away provided an incredible Sunset. The colors different from any time before. Enjoy the photos on the Journal .

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

809062230_r6TrC-L.jpg

Only a Phone Call away. TX

We all know, should, the proposition of riding a motorcycle. It is of a dangerous one, no doubt. On two wheels the patches front and rear of two tires is infinitely of a small surface, area, than a car or other vehicles. Quite too often it happens, more or less severely, one of us loosing that grip and the results are often not of or anyone's liking. My Friend Tyler went down that path over last summer, severely, very severely, and yet a couple nights ago as the phone rang her voice was the sweetest sound I could have ever heard. A “miracle” of Life no doubt, but also the tenacity of a Human Being just not ready to get off the path we are all on. The scars acquired throughout our existence come in many forms and shapes as hers and mine. We are not unique, the scars are a side of a coin so many experience, unfortunately. The support toward Tyler has been incredible and yet, as for all of us, the reality is truly that at the end of the day we are just one and it is throughout those moments acquired we have to build up the strength to go on, a strength that needs to come from within us. That is what separates the true survivors from others as we cannot give up the gift that has been loaned to us, the “one more chance” to go on. It was truly an “Honor” to speak with my “Kindred Spirit” and even if we did not say it all, we saved some for the next time and the next time. Human relationships... all part of this Journey .

Be well, and always enjoy and “live” the moment.

Ara & Spirit

812137027_JLKTi-L.jpg

A full plate. TX

One would think we are suddenly at a Resort here. Friends dropping by with two huge RV's and the main ingredients for a couple well deserved dinners, breakfast also for that matter. Fresh Tuna, yes, freshly caught, it was a big hit, Dutch Oven Chocolate Cherry Cobbler, same with homemade bread, grilled vegetables, you name it, we had it.

Mother Nature must have known of it as for those two days it was short sleeve T shirts and comfortable presence sitting around the campfire till the eyes were heavily shutting down needing some rest. Suddenly all is so different with the longer days and much less sleep, so different that I am tired needing to re-balance it all up again. It includes some preparations to leave soon for Amado, “The Overland Expo”, which will be our first destination. We hope to meet some faces we have never seen, only have known their names. I feel a certain trepidation within me, the call of the road is making it's mark. A pull so strong, an attraction for the times to come.

In the meantime also was another Dentist visit in Valentine, one more on the 30th and that will be it... I want to use the word “free”... Free to go and savor the new Adventures awaiting for us, the new Friends not yet met and that includes new buddies for Mr Spirit!

Enjoy my Friend's visit...

Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit