IGNORED

START (Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour) Blairsville, GA April 27 - May 1, 2022

Indy Dave

Unfortunately I found out last night that we will be unable to make Start. Really bummed,  as I have never ridden that area and was going to stay with some old friends that we haven't seen in over a decade. Oh well ,sometimes that's how the cookie crumbles. Wild horses won't drag me away from the UN and I really look forward to seeing some familiar faces.

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 6

I am certainly going to plan on it at this point. I knew Start might have gotten a little iffy a month ago , but kept my fingers crossed

• Like 2

Oil change, new battery, tires rotated (you just gave it away stupid) :classic_laugh: and a new air filter! Can’t wait to START this trip! :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well, we are supposed to get an inch or two of snow this coming week, but fingers crossed...warming up for the following week.  Michigan.

• Thinking 1

My tires will have enough tread for proper rotation for START, but calculations indicate new ones will need to be rotated in for the UnRally.  :bike:

• Like 2

Boxflyer and Tech Info

We are grateful that Brad (Boxflyer) will again be bringing his trailer loaded with all kinds of goodies, (some) parts, FD Boots, Maintenance Supplies and on it goes. Brad has also assembled several of his DIY tool kits for R1200 & R1250's, and he will have these available in Blairsville for anyone interested. Brad has updated info in the video linked below. Brad will also be doing Service Demo's in Blairsville.

Boxflyer has been, and continues to be very generous with his time and expertise at BMWST Events. Boxflyer has put together a series of very through Full Service DIY Videos on R1200w & R1250 bikes  - at a time when BMW has pulled back the availability of consumer service videos for these and other models.  

Brad - I know I speak for everyone - when I say thanks so much for your selfless service at these events!

• Like 8
  • Plus 1 2
  • Thanks 3

Blairsville Meal Info

Thursday Night: EndoBod's Pizza Night

Time: 6:30pm

Where: Hotel Lobby and adjacent covered area outside.

Cost: Actual cost of Pizza. Bring your own beverage.

Friday Night Food Truck

Time: 6:30

Where: Hotel Parking lot. Tables will be set up outside the hotel office in the covered area between buildings.

Menu:

Entree - Choose one:

• Fresh Ground Hand Made Burger
  • BBQ Pulled Pork
  • Hot Dogs

Potato Salad or Chips

Soda, bottled Water

Shaved Ice

Desert

Cost $15 - Pay when you order at the truck.

Lemonade will also be for sale. These ain't your run of the mill food truck burgers - linked below.

A HUGE SHOUT-OUT to @Kenikki for discovering this option for us. We were reluctantly set to do a high production (and expensive) meal on site, and Nikki saved the day!

https://www.facebook.com/Chillandfill/

Edited by Indy Dave
add dinner payment info
  • Like 11
14 minutes ago, Mr_Ed said:

So flat fee on the food truck? Pre-pay or anything along those lines?

Good question - I'm sorry I wasn't clear. You pay on your own.

2 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

SOLD on banana split for dessert!         :eat:

Oh my,  that’s a thing of beauty! :clap: :classic_biggrin: 

image.thumb.jpeg.c6caf83290b7bce4a694976370935cda.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
4 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Boxflyer and Tech Info

We are grateful that Brad (Boxflyer) will again be bringing his trailer loaded with all kinds of goodies, (some) parts, FD Boots, Maintenance Supplies and on it goes. Brad has also assembled several of his DIY tool kits for R1200 & R1250's, and he will have these available in Blairsville for anyone interested. Brad has updated info in the video linked below. Brad will also be doing Service Demo's in Blairsville.

Boxflyer has been, and continues to be very generous with his time and expertise at BMWST Events. Boxflyer has put together a series of very through Full Service DIY Videos on R1200w & R1250 bikes  - at a time when BMW has pulled back the availability of consumer service videos for these and other models.  

Brad - I know I speak for everyone - when I say thanks so much for your selfless service at these events!

I absolutely hate I’m going to miss Blairsville and being able to watch Brad at work.  Like watching a surgeon operate!!

• Like 5
  • Plus 1 1
16 hours ago, RTinNC said:

I absolutely hate I’m going to miss Blairsville and being able to watch Brad at work.  Like watching a surgeon operate!!

Yep, he’s an alumnus of one of the three coolest professions in the world. Doctor, Fighter Pilot and I’ll let you guess what the third is. :classic_biggrin:

I’d trust him to operate on my bike, and yes, that clue is to throw you off. ;) 

image.jpeg.961eae8f4a426286c6e1c0f558587896.jpeg

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Yep, he’s an alumnus of one of three coolest professions in the world. Doctor, Fighter Pilot and I’ll let you guess what the third is. :classic_biggrin:

I’d trust him to operate on my bike, and yes, that clue is to throw you off. ;) 

image.jpeg.961eae8f4a426286c6e1c0f558587896.jpeg

..... Great American?  

i-sW8jqhC-X2.jpg

• Like 5

I have reserved a room with 2 beds, but alas my friend David (davidtn) will not be able to join us. So I have an extra bed Wed-Sat if anyone looking to share.

Jim

Lone_RT_rider

I have to say, we are 8 days out and nobody has taken the time to post the 10 day weather forecast as a reason for calling "OUT" yet?  No Chicken little reports? No midwestern interpretation of Mountain weather forecasts?  Man...... this group is SLACKIN!!!  ;)  :4607::3::5150:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
1 hour ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

I have to say, we are 8 days out and nobody has taken the time to post the 10 day weather forecast as a reason for calling "OUT" yet?  No Chicken little reports? No midwestern interpretation of Mountain weather forecasts?  Man...... this group is SLACKIN!!!  ;)  :4607::3::5150:

Well I would not want this group to be considered Slackin
Wed - Saturday 
Early morning is cold around 45
daytime is great 65-70
Sunday 
?!@$  on Sunday AM so maybe wait to leave for home on Sunday

How is that?

• Like 2

Well it is official, got the missing Front Brake Reservior part in on Saturday.  Installed and brakes are 100%
All other necessary items are installed/upgraded
It is possible my MotoLights and Running lights might not be ready, but that does not affect the bike

Now to set Sag, compression and rebound, do some test rides and good to go for next week, Leading two 700lb Harley's all over the mountains :-)

• Like 3
Lone_RT_rider
22 minutes ago, randy said:

Leading two 700lb Harley's all over the mountains :-)

Where did they find HD's that light? ;)

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Foot said:

If anyone decides to come at the last minute I have an extra bed in the room. I would be glad to split the room costs.

have reserved a room with 2 beds, but alas my friend David (davidtn) will not be able to join us. So I have an extra bed Wed-Sat if anyone looking to share.

Jim

see above post, seems like you two should connect :-)

2 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

To be honest I took a WAG,  :-) For all I know they might weigh more 
My Uncle's bike is a 1999 Electra Guide
My son's bike is a 2019 Road King Special

Both are gorgeous bikes

Lone_RT_rider
21 minutes ago, randy said:

To be honest I took a WAG,  :-) For all I know they might weigh more 
My Uncle's bike is a 1999 Electra Guide
My son's bike is a 2019 Road King Special

Both are gorgeous bikes

The RK is the lightest of the FL line coming in at around 800 lbs. The Electra Glide is north of 900 lbs. 

Shawn

9 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

HEY.

We AIN'T "slackin", we're PACKIN.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
terryofperry
9 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

@terryofperry.   :dontknow:

My local weather prognosicator 

@wbw6cos  William is correct, I normally post weather updates a few times before the events. No excuses but I've been keeping an eye on the weather a little bit north of there, I'm heading to Blairsville in the morning....by way of eastern Virginia @lawnchairboys neck of the woods.  :18: I knew I would need heated gear at some point along the way, I certainly didn't think I would need to leave the Deep South with it on. 40 is not cold to most of y'all, normal for us is mid 80s this time of year. Brrrrrr. I'll do better William as soon as it it thaws out down here. See y'all soon.

Terry

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, randy said:

have reserved a room with 2 beds, but alas my friend David (davidtn) will not be able to join us. So I have an extra bed Wed-Sat if anyone looking to share.

Jim

see above post, seems like you two should connect :-)

Maybe Foot's standards are higher than mine  :4322:

• Haha 1
lawnchairboy
6 hours ago, terryofperry said:

@wbw6cos  William is correct, I normally post weather updates a few times before the events. No excuses but I've been keeping an eye on the weather a little bit north of there, I'm heading to Blairsville in the morning....by way of eastern Virginia @lawnchairboys neck of the woods.  :18: I knew I would need heated gear at some point along the way, I certainly didn't think I would need to leave the Deep South with it on. 40 is not cold to most of y'all, normal for us is mid 80s this time of year. Brrrrrr. I'll do better William as soon as it it thaws out down here. See y'all soon.

Terry

coming from my neck of the woods is certainly a circuitous route. If I can be of service, holler.

• Like 1

Is anyone thinking of riding the Tail of the Dragon?  It has been 22 years since I rode it.  My BMW says it needs a picture to show the Guzzi the original Dragon.

Back of the Dragon.jpg

• Like 1
On 4/17/2022 at 6:13 PM, RTinNC said:

We'll miss you as well, Ed. And yes, @Boxflyer is a Mechanical Marvel

Mackenzie the Mechanical Marvel

Welcome Joel!

Starting to gather the goods for START! :bike:  A few last minute tweaks . . . . tic toc!

1857223699_BlairsvillewhosgoingPg1currentApr20.jpg.7d2eab052676bec39c374e3ae86023c3.jpg

1018919926_BlairsvillewhosgoingPg2currentapr14r.thumb.jpg.fd5984494d241992fc073cbd2fb4ff4b.jpg

• Like 1
lawnchairboy
14 hours ago, Brunhilde said:

Maybe Foot's standards are higher than mine  :4322:

couldn't be, he was Army.

:4322:

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
On 4/19/2022 at 4:51 PM, Lone_RT_rider said:

The RK is the lightest of the FL line coming in at around 800 lbs. The Electra Glide is north of 900 lbs. 

Shawn

As I show them around our great riding area, I just hope I do not hold them back to much, 

• Haha 3

My borrowed trailer got so excited it popped a wheelie! :cool:
image.jpeg.e93e019bbd1140031a7559972db6098e.jpeg

2C69FD48-A211-4F7D-982B-E13D9C0B612A.jpeg

Forgot she’s not a two hundred pound dirt bike! :spittake:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
Lone_RT_rider
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

That's your bike rebelling against being shoved in a trailer.....  :4317:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Haha 2

So far the weather is looking great.  There may be a thunderstorm on Sunday  Looking like temps in the 40's  to about 70.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

That's your bike rebelling against being shoved in a trailer.....  :4317:

Most Beemers act like this. :classic_biggrin:

image.gif

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
On 4/19/2022 at 10:33 AM, Lone_RT_rider said:

I was thinking the same thing, a couple of small ones!

John Ranalletta
19 hours ago, TEWKS said:

image.jpeg.e93e019bbd1140031a7559972db6098e.jpeg

Hooked up the trailer for a test run yesterday. Goin' to tow with the 335xi instead of the X3.  The 4 cyl X3 tows well but the mileage sucks.  The 335's 6 cyl gets better mileage!  We'll see y'all there.

• Like 3
John Ranalletta

Some Blairsville trivia...just off of the Murphy hwy.

Bought this place in '05 for $260k.  Sold it in '08 for $280.  Shoulda' kept it?  We sold because we started to have grand kids and most/all of our travel was to see them.  Great location for riding.

During one El Paseo, we hosted the group for Friday night BBQ.  

image.png.15dc7a843bf44d0c9af042d3bbde44c7.png

• Like 2