IGNORED

START (Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour) Blairsville, GA April 27 - May 1, 2022

Indy Dave

Lone_RT_rider

And now for something completely different.....

I was talking to a friend of mine recently and she said something that really struck me. She said "I love my tribe".  Immediately my mind wandered to two groups. The first was some college friends that I still keep in touch with on a daily basis. The second, was this tribe. I know I am not as close to this group as I used to be, but there are still folks that I see at these events that make it feel more like a family reunion than a motorcycle event. I'm so glad that even after all these years, we still do this. :) 

Thank you, thank you and thank you so much to everyone that is currently stepping up and has stepped up to always make sure we have this time together. This event is more special than we give it credit for. :)

Shawn

• Like 7
  • Smile 2
9 minutes ago, randy said:

check your JUNK mail mine went there

Thanks but that was where I checked all 3 times.  Pretty sure it was on our part with Road Runner.  We've had isolated issues with a couple providers sending e-mail.  But Hotel was great and mailed me a paper confirm the same day,. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

And now for something completely different.....

I was talking to a friend of mine recently and she said something that really struck me. She said "I love my tribe".  Immediately my mind wandered to two groups. The first was some college friends that I still keep in touch with on a daily basis. The second, was this tribe. I know I am not as close to this group as I used to be, but there are still folks that I see at these events that make it feel more like a family reunion than a motorcycle event. I'm so glad that even after all these years, we still do this. :) 

Thank you, thank you and thank you so much to everyone that is currently stepping up and has stepped up to always make sure we have this time together. This event is more special than we give it credit for. :)

Shawn

I could not agree more!   It was THIS site (actually back when Cary ran it and it was BMWRT) that convinced me to buy the R1100RT and not the Honda ST1100.   It has always been a great resource for information.  It was not until recent years ....probably 2 or 3 years ago that I attended my first ART event at the suggestion of Randy Shields.  The ART events have made the "tribe" experience even better for me.  And then Boxflyer started attending and doing demos and THAT was the icing o the cake.   I was just recently telling folks that one of the reasons I ride a BMW is the great BMW Motorcycle community.  This site,  the MOA and BMWRA all make the ownership experience so positive.

I echo the comments of Lone RT rider thank a huge thanks to all those who make this stuff happen.  Indy Dave especially!  And how welcoming everyone has been!   

• Like 3

The hotel I think has issues with their emailing system.

Ed, like you, I was on this board for many years before I attended any event (FART). And to be honest, if someone hadn't invited me to go, I might still be on the sidelines. Perhaps there's a lesson here for lurkers who read this, and also for those of us in the know to invite others to attend an event.

@BMW_Ken , @Bernie @terryofperry, @marcopolo, @Endobob, @60Aviator, @DaveCinNO, @twistyguy (AKA The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™  :ohboy::ohboy:) all feel the same way as you @Lone_RT_rider and @RTinNC. We're simply another cog in a much larger wheel of folks who have done the same thing we're doing.  There are many, many folks - including @Lone_RT_rider who have facilitated events here.

• Like 7

I called and confirmed my reservation. The lady on the phone did say "O-my - there are alot of you all for this date". I am looking forward to meeting everyone.  It is my first rally with this group.

• Like 5

"Crisis" averted!!  I now have a room lined up --- and miracle of all miracles it's a ground floor space (which NEVER happens for me!!)  LOL

Thanks everybody!!

• Like 9
16 hours ago, TN_R11_Girl said:

"Crisis" averted!!  I now have a room lined up --- and miracle of all miracles it's a ground floor space (which NEVER happens for me!!)  LOL

Thanks everybody!!

Yep …. I booked real early to ensure a ground floor with 2 beds.  I even called about a month ago to confirm the room location.  I’m very jealous but happy someone will get to enjoy.

I was looking forward to riding the north Georgia mountains as I’ve not explored much of that area.

Have a great time and eat some pizza for me!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

Yep …. I booked real early to ensure a ground floor with 2 beds.  I even called about a month ago to confirm the room location.  I’m very jealous but happy someone will get to enjoy.

I was looking forward to riding the north Georgia mountains as I’ve not explored much of that area.

Have a great time and eat some pizza for me!!

I am sorry you will miss STARt and riding in the North Georgia Mountains.

But you can always save the GPX files and use them on a different weekend or trip.

Look for the routes announcement next week.:90:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bernie said:

I am sorry you will miss STARt and riding in the North Georgia Mountains.

But you can always save the GPX files and use them on a different weekend or trip.

Look for the routes announcement next week.:90:

Thanks Bernie!  I was just telling Barb that since the hotel looks so nice and I’ve not explored north Georgia I might just make a trip down there later in the year.

Have fun!!

Now that you guys have changed your oil, polished your brake discs and rotated the air in your tires, and don’t forget to switch your HID fluid to the spring version,  it is almost time to start wrestling with the routes for START 2022.

As we are getting closer to START 2022 in Blairsville, GA it is time to update your map data for your BaseCamp, MapSource and your Garmin GPS units. Recharge the batteries, remove the Zumo 590’s from the freezer and start polishing the screens on your BMW Navigator 6 units. Also please start looking for the always misplaced Garmin USB Cables. 

• Smile 1
  • Thinking 1
4 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Thanks Bernie!  I was just telling Barb that since the hotel looks so nice and I’ve not explored north Georgia I might just make a trip down there later in the year.

Have fun!!

Ed, Georgia is always open for travel and exploring.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Bernie said:

…and don’t forget to switch your HID fluid to the spring version,  

2009 called and wants their HIDs back. LED fluid is all season. 

• Haha 2

2022 START Route Announcement

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ are pleased to present the routes for the

2022 Spring Appalachian Riding Tour (START). 

We have 8 SportTouring and 2 GS/ADV routes. 

You can choose to download this information in one of two different options:

1) The first option is to download the single large GPX file, which contains all the routes, along with their associated Tracks, and WayPoints. All the day rides are Loop rides. The number at the end of the route name is the total miles for this route. 

Here is the download link for all the routes (including associated Tracks and WayPoints) in single large file: 

START 2022 Routes

2)  The second download option is individual GPX files for complete route loops. Also, if you download individual route files, we suggest also downloading the WayPoint file (GPX file of just waypoints is available below).

Here are the brief descriptions of each route loop, along with the applicable download links: 

01 Murphy-Telico-Suches 216m: Joe Brown Rd & Steer Rd to Tellico Plains, TN and will return via 68, 60 & 180 to Blairsville. 216 miles.

02 Wayah-Chero-Falls-TWO 272m: To Tellico Plains, TN by Wayah Bald, Cherohala Skwy, Falls and TWO to Blairsville. 272 miles.

03 Wolf-TWO-Helen 106m: Short loop ride to TWO and Helen. 106 miles.

04 TWO-60 132m: 129 and 60 to Suches, GA, TWO and north returning to Blairsville. 132 miles.

05 LkBurt-Dillard-Murphy 174m: Lake Burton to Dillard, GA and back to Blairsville. 174 miles.

06 Clayton-Walnut-Hiawassee 265m: To Clayton, GA, returning through the North Carolina High country. 265 miles.

07 Suches-Ellijay-Dahlonega 160m: Short loop ride to Ellijay, GA and back. 160 miles

08 Suches-Ellijay-Wolf-RBR 238m: To Ellijay, GA, and Ft. Mountain, returning through Wolf Gap and RBR to Blairsville. 238 miles

The GS/ADV Routes: 

09 GS Dill-Clay-LkRabun 184m: A GS route to Dillard, GA, Clayton, GA and Lake Rabun, back to Blairsville. 264 miles.

10 GS Helen-RBR-Wolf 112m: A GS route to Helen, RBR, Wolf Gap and return to Blairsville. 112 miles.

START 2022 Waypoints only: This file is Waypoints only, add this file if you only download individual routes.

No matter which download option you choose, please note that the routes were created in Garmin BaseCamp using City Navigator North America NT 2023.10. As always, it is advisable to recalculate the routes once you’ve opened them in your software and also in your GPS. Make sure the mileage remains close to the original distance, before loading to your GPS device, because my BaseCamp Preference settings and maps may be different from yours.

The GPX files can also be imported successfully into Garmin MapSource, if you so desire. 

For GS/ADV routes we recommend riding in a group, in case it turns nasty. Also take along some snacks or a bag lunch.

Also don’t forget, cell phone coverage could be spotty in the woods.

Please also use the tracks provided. “PM” Bernie for more details or questions or use the GPS-BaseCamp Guide.

**PLEASE NOTE: Due to Covid concerns, be prepared for the possibility of lunch stops being closed, having reduced seating or open for take-out only. Call ahead to restaurants to confirm that they are open. It's a good idea to pack some vittles in case of unforeseen meal challenges. Make assumptions at your own risk! **

Please start each day or route with a FULL TANK of gas and be sure to monitor your fuel needs, keeping in mind that some gas stations may no longer be open.

Disclaimer: The attached routes and instructions are to be used at your own risk, and these instructions are simply general guidelines and may not be applicable to the users specific use and its incumbent upon users to do their own research to determine how to set up their units and to ensure their route and directions are suitable to their own needs. Keep in mind, things change over time - so as always - use common sense when following directions from an electronic device. 

Please feel free to post any questions you might have. 

Enjoy and have a safe START 2022!

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

377549957_START2022BlairsvilleGA.thumb.png.1d7f604c4a97ce8b8c981c395f8aefd3.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

They look awesome Bernie!   Thanks for all that you do for routing us through the SouthEast so that we can have some fun rides! 

A special shout-out to all the behind the scenes members for contributing, too.  Thank you!  

Cheers!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again to all the BBR crew for working so hard to make these ART's happen.  Bernie:  thanks for the routes!

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks to all the The Bumbling BackRoad Riders for getting all this together.  Thanks Bernie for the work on the routes I just upgraded my Garmin so I will get these routes downloaded.

This will be my first time attending one of these advents and I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Anyone need a room mate? Beemer shop is dropping the ball on getting my shocks rebuild so I can come to the start!

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Foot said:

Anyone need a room mate? Beemer shop is dropping the ball on getting my shocks rebuild so I can come to the start!

see PM

• Like 3
StretchMark

In for Thur-Sat. I’ll probably head up early Thursday and hope to catch some stragglers in the parking lot. Heading back Saturday evening for a previous commitment. Christine hopes to join me but that will be a last minute decision for her. 

No hotel Rooms at this late stage so I’ll watch for cancellations or bum a couple nights at a friend’s cabin nearby. 

• Like 3
On 2/25/2022 at 12:37 PM, randy said:

can we please move START back to May 25 - 29

IMG_1159.JPG

So 6 hours of dedicated/focused time and the bike is now back together.  Sunday April 3 I took a short 2.5 hour shake down run.  All was good.  Front brake was a little soft for my liking, but I knew with a full SS brake line install, it might take two brake bleeding sessions

So this morning I wake up and I am looking forward to taking the bike to work.  NO front brakes.  Overnight I lost all front brake pressure.

somehow I had lost the front reservoir gasket and it is due in this Friday.  I am assuming that in the garage with no movement/vibration it really did not need a perfect seal.  But once I had ridden it for two hours and then parked it, it lost all pressure. 

so now on hold until the gasket gets in, and then a full brake bleed again and should be good to go.  Thank goodness for Shake down run's  :-)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, randy said:

So 6 hours of dedicated/focused time and the bike is now back together.  Sunday April 3 I took a short 2.5 hour shake down run.  All was good.  Front brake was a little soft for my liking, but I knew with a full SS brake line install, it might take two brake bleeding sessions

So this morning I wake up and I am looking forward to taking the bike to work.  NO front brakes.  Overnight I lost all front brake pressure.

somehow I had lost the front reservoir gasket and it is due in this Friday.  I am assuming that in the garage with no movement/vibration it really need not need a perfect seal.  But once I had ridden it for two hours and then parked it, it lost all pressure. 

so now on hold until the gasket gets in, and then a full brake bleed again and should be good to go.  Thank goodness for Shake down run's  :-)

Great Job, Randy! Glad you got a nice shake down, and that you didn't lose brakes during that! Sounds like you'll have the bike well sorted by START-time! Congrats again on the new wheels!

On 3/28/2022 at 2:28 PM, Bernie said:

2022 START Route Announcement

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ are pleased to present the routes for the

2022 Spring Appalachian Riding Tour (START). 

We have 8 SportTouring and 2 GS/ADV routes. 

You can choose to download this information in one of two different options:

1) The first option is to download the single large GPX file, which contains all the routes, along with their associated Tracks, and WayPoints. All the day rides are Loop rides. The number at the end of the route name is the total miles for this route. 

Here is the download link for all the routes (including associated Tracks and WayPoints) in single large file: 

START 2022 Routes

2)  The second download option is individual GPX files for complete route loops. Also, if you download individual route files, we suggest also downloading the WayPoint file (GPX file of just waypoints is available below).

Here are the brief descriptions of each route loop, along with the applicable download links: 

01 Murphy-Telico-Suches 216m: Joe Brown Rd & Steer Rd to Tellico Plains, TN and will return via 68, 60 & 180 to Blairsville. 216 miles.

02 Wayah-Chero-Falls-TWO 272m: To Tellico Plains, TN by Wayah Bald, Cherohala Skwy, Falls and TWO to Blairsville. 272 miles.

03 Wolf-TWO-Helen 106m: Short loop ride to TWO and Helen. 106 miles.

04 TWO-60 132m: 129 and 60 to Suches, GA, TWO and north returning to Blairsville. 132 miles.

05 LkBurt-Dillard-Murphy 174m: Lake Burton to Dillard, GA and back to Blairsville. 174 miles.

06 Clayton-Walnut-Hiawassee 265m: To Clayton, GA, returning through the North Carolina High country. 265 miles.

07 Suches-Ellijay-Dahlonega 160m: Short loop ride to Ellijay, GA and back. 160 miles

08 Suches-Ellijay-Wolf-RBR 238m: To Ellijay, GA, and Ft. Mountain, returning through Wolf Gap and RBR to Blairsville. 238 miles

The GS/ADV Routes: 

09 GS Dill-Clay-LkRabun 184m: A GS route to Dillard, GA, Clayton, GA and Lake Rabun, back to Blairsville. 264 miles.

10 GS Helen-RBR-Wolf 112m: A GS route to Helen, RBR, Wolf Gap and return to Blairsville. 112 miles.

START 2022 Waypoints only: This file is Waypoints only, add this file if you only download individual routes.

No matter which download option you choose, please note that the routes were created in Garmin BaseCamp using City Navigator North America NT 2023.10. As always, it is advisable to recalculate the routes once you’ve opened them in your software and also in your GPS. Make sure the mileage remains close to the original distance, before loading to your GPS device, because my BaseCamp Preference settings and maps may be different from yours.

The GPX files can also be imported successfully into Garmin MapSource, if you so desire. 

For GS/ADV routes we recommend riding in a group, in case it turns nasty. Also take along some snacks or a bag lunch.

Also don’t forget, cell phone coverage could be spotty in the woods.

Please also use the tracks provided. “PM” Bernie for more details or questions or use the GPS-BaseCamp Guide.

**PLEASE NOTE: Due to Covid concerns, be prepared for the possibility of lunch stops being closed, having reduced seating or open for take-out only. Call ahead to restaurants to confirm that they are open. It's a good idea to pack some vittles in case of unforeseen meal challenges. Make assumptions at your own risk! **

Please start each day or route with a FULL TANK of gas and be sure to monitor your fuel needs, keeping in mind that some gas stations may no longer be open.

Disclaimer: The attached routes and instructions are to be used at your own risk, and these instructions are simply general guidelines and may not be applicable to the users specific use and its incumbent upon users to do their own research to determine how to set up their units and to ensure their route and directions are suitable to their own needs. Keep in mind, things change over time - so as always - use common sense when following directions from an electronic device. 

Please feel free to post any questions you might have. 

Enjoy and have a safe START 2022!

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

377549957_START2022BlairsvilleGA.thumb.png.1d7f604c4a97ce8b8c981c395f8aefd3.png

THANKS SO MUCH, BERNIE! We appreciate all of your hard work and efforts!!  :5185:  :5210:

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 4
4 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Welcome Allen, Mark, Ken and Kate!

1566955889_BlairsvillewhosgoingPg1currentApr6.jpg.96ed0ff6fde7bfd0467aa59191aa7e08.jpg

1243681863_BlairsvillewhosgoingPg2currentapr6.jpg.2120cece9dd13fb827abe367b422bd91.jpg

You know you’ve become something, when you have to roll out page two! :yes: :classic_biggrin: All the behind the scenes work is really appreciated by all of us! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We have a great team working on the Art's - ranging from riders who've been coming from way back when, to riders who are newer to the group. When you think about how great our community is, it'd be hard NOT to have a great team. It sounds cliché, but it's quite true!

In the end, we Bumble our way though, and you all are graceful enough to keep coming back!  Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I may have missed it, but can you tell us the settings you are using?

i.e.
Map set NT2023.1
Calculation mode Faster Time
Avoidances  None

any others

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, randy said:

I may have missed it, but can you tell us the settings you are using?

i.e.
Map set NT2023.1
Calculation mode Faster Time
Avoidances  None

any others

Yes, Randy. Fastest time and no avoidances. Use the Tracks to keep on the routes or to force the routes in BaseCamp to stay on the Route. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately -- due to my overbooking the amount of trips I have planned for this Spring/Summer, I need to bow out of this event in Georgia --  See you all at FART in the fall.

**2 ROOMS are now AVAILABLE at the Best Western Milton Inn!

Doreen

• Sad 3

Unfortunately I will have to miss START this year again. Family obligations I can’t get excused from. Hopefully everyone has a great, safe START and I will see you all at either The UnRally or at FART 2022.

:4617:

• Sad 13
11 hours ago, Bernie said:

Unfortunately I will have to miss START this year again. Family obligations I can’t get excused from. 

:4617:

The disappointment we’re all feeling, Bernie. :read: You may need to tell the family that their planning calendar is a bit um, BROKEN! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

I am in with my new rider daughter Kathryn. We are arriving Thursday. Kathryn is rooming with Shannon and I am rooming with Randy. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Andy

• Like 7

@DoreenM Very sorry it didn't work out this time, but sounds like you have a great Summer ahead! Keep us in mind for FART, which is a week earlier than usual this year. Details will be announced after START.

@Bernie - Very, very sorry you can't join us - please, let's not make this a habit! We will give your routes a good work out! :bike:

@gamecock - Welcome Andy and Kathryn!

Here's a look back at our last visit to Blairsville in 2017. This video features MOSTLY Blairsville, but also has content from other ART's as well. I made this after we canceled START due to Covid - that's the reason for the otherwise excellent, but somber song. Great to see some BMWST legends @Marty Hill @tallman @Endobob  @Kinsley @Bud

See you all soon!

https://youtu.be/1h2ueophE1w

• Like 10

ADMINISTRIVIA

We will be having both Thursday Night Pizza and Friday Night Dinner at the hotel - 6:30pm for both. Please check back for details about this and Boxflyer activity tomorrow evening or Saturday Morning.

As of April 14:

1736470488_BlairsvillewhosgoingPg1currentApr14R.thumb.jpg.d7c0261dcb7d492a807481bf45b7f05f.jpg

1018919926_BlairsvillewhosgoingPg2currentapr14r.thumb.jpg.fd5984494d241992fc073cbd2fb4ff4b.jpg

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

@DoreenM Very sorry it didn't work out this time, but sounds like you have a great Summer ahead! Keep us in mind for FART, which is a week earlier than usual this year. Details will be announced after START.

@Bernie - Very, very sorry you can't join us - please, let's not make this a habit! We will give your routes a good work out! :bike:

@gamecock - Welcome Andy and Kathryn!

Here's a look back at our last visit to Blairsville in 2017. This video features MOSTLY Blairsville, but also has content from other ART's as well. I made this after we canceled START due to Covid - that's the reason for the otherwise excellent, but somber song. Great to see some BMWST legends @Marty Hill @tallman @Endobob  @Kinsley @Bud

See you all soon!

https://youtu.be/1h2ueophE1w

WOW .... great video and now I am REALLY sad I will miss START.   Hoping you guys have great weather and smooth roads!! 

• Like 3