IGNORED

START (Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour) Blairsville, GA April 27 - May 1, 2022

Indy Dave

If anyone is going to be in the general Blairsville area early, like Maggie Valley. :classic_biggrin: I have two (what I think are) excellent rides planned out for Monday & Tuesday. (4/25 - 4/26) Some dirt mixed in but nothing technically challenging. (unless I make the same mistake as last year :eek: ) Starting at the very familiar Creekside Lodge about 9:00 am. :yes:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

If anyone is going to be in the general Blairsville area early, like Maggie Valley. :classic_biggrin: I have two (what I think are) excellent rides planned out for Monday & Tuesday. (4/25 - 4/26) Some dirt mixed in but nothing technically challenging. (unless I make the same mistake as last year :eek: ) Starting at the very familiar Creekside Lodge about 9:00 am. :yes:

I am interested in riding this with you, sounds like fun! I ride a 650 VStrom and have recently started exploring the backwaters of N GA. Interested to see what you have planned.

• Like 3

Awesome Dave! :thumbsup: I can try and download the routes here (in the downloads section above) or pm me your email and I’ll try to get them to you that way. (Try being the key word) :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
On 12/19/2021 at 9:58 AM, Dennis Andress said:

Lots of good people around here fit the mid Atlantic mold. START this year was worth the trip, and I hope to make many more. But, no matter how much I sweeten the pie, practically none of them come West...

80726657-7E84-4865-80D8-CC8BF6A8BF1C.jpeg

Once I retire (hopefully 3/2024)  riding Western areas will be a regular affair for me

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
4 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Man, making me long for that new GS.    :revit:

Someday.   Someday.

Bill you can always come over and help me get my BMW G450x back into street trim and then you can borrow it anytime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2022 at 8:23 AM, Chris K said:

Reservations made. See you all on the 27th!

On 2/2/2022 at 8:50 AM, RandyShields said:

Wow, two months early!

That's great Chris! You feeling ok?!  :grin: 

motorkas - Look forward to having you with us again! :clap:

As of Feb 4:

1850839653_BlairsvillewhosgoingPg1Feb4.jpg.4cc93370e7475f56b9dd96a06ee062ce.jpg

1599179976_BlairsvillewhosgoingPg2Jan23.thumb.jpg.1f6dffb4b06d8d3dee4a217b2a2f52ac.jpg

• Like 1

I’m bored, I want to ride, what should I do? :dontknow: Oh yeah, make a parody! :classic_biggrin:

Click here then read :-))

All my maps are packed I’m ready to go 

there’s a storm a brewing, it’s kinda cold

I’m standing here, right outside your garage door

I hate to start you up when it’s so cold 

But dawn is breakin’ it’s early morn

The truck is waitin’ it’s on the lawn

So don’t dis me or slide on me

Tell me that you’ll avoid the trees

These roads are so very very old

I’m leaving in my Ford truck 

all I ask for is a little bit of luck

Oh Blairsville, I hate to drive so slow

There’s so many times I’ve dropped you down 

So many times I’ve spun you around 

I tell you now, you’ll still be my shining thing 

Every place I go that stinks of poo

Every noise you make scares me too

When I get back, I’ll inspect your pinion ring

You didn’t dis me, you shined for me

We avoided all but the smallest of trees

I’ll load you now because we have to go

Yeah, we’re leaving in my Ford truck 

I don’t know but with a little more luck, we’ll be back again 

Oh Blairsville, I hate to go….

• Like 3

I’m bored, I want to ride, what should I do? :dontknow: 

Well if you want to do something productive and a great warmup for the next riding season, you could take a online class, like I did.

Here is a link and a discount coupon: code 4K8MT32 will get them an extra 10% off the price of the Core Curriculum and the class is already 50% off.

ChampU -Yamaha Champions Riding School

• Like 4

We have plenty of rooms - our block is for the entire hotel!

Come one, come all - we've got the rooms after all! :wave:

As of Feb 12:

1356635584_BlairsvillewhosgoingPg1Feb12a.jpg.6a2c6c2d43c0c3587998cc9c41f13643.jpg

1599179976_BlairsvillewhosgoingPg2Jan23.thumb.jpg.1f6dffb4b06d8d3dee4a217b2a2f52ac.jpg

• Like 2

Reservation made for Friday the 29th and tentatively Saturday the 30th. May just drive up for the day Wednesday/Thursday. Look forward to seeing everyone again :)

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, randy said:

can we please move START back to May 25 - 29

Randy - I feel your pain! You can do it!! :90:

1030865866_ratsnestRT.thumb.jpg.adefd05b89e7b20ea93a262c77501c68.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, brianh70 said:

What have you guys done?!?!?!? 

removed OEM rubber brake lines and installed SS brake lines (thanks Chris K)

Installed PDM60 

Installed powerlet receptacle for Garmin XT

Installed USB/volt meter

Installed Gerbing heated connector

upgrading rear springs for my weight

Upgrading front forks for my weight

installed battery tender lead

installed running lights

installed moto lights

installed two ram mount balls for XT and Phone holder

added mirror extenders (works better than I expected)

Installed heavy 15amp powerlet in rear fairing for running air pump (just emergency item never needed one in past but always have one on my bike)

removed OEM rear passenger grab rails for cleaner install of top case rack.

I am sure I am forgetting one or two items.

• Like 1

Looking forward to START 2022 and riding in North GA,  have not had a chance to explore that area.  I know Boxflyer was iffy on attending and doing the "tech day"  do we know if Brad has confirmed?  Hoping he makes it as it is always a learning experience and heck it's nice to have someone there to help you plug a tire :18:

Hi Ed,

As of right now, it looks like I will be there with my trailer and lift.  I need to coordinate more with IndyDave to see what he would like me to do in the way of demonstrations, but I'll have my tire changer, about 6-8 tires, and plenty of Final Drive boots and brake pads!

Since the New Year, I bought a lathe and have been steadily making Cam Timing Tool Kits...so I'll bring some of those along with me.

See you there,

Brad

• Like 4
18 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

They are ugly with their clothes off!

20181214_152508.thumb.jpg.2128122fd7a8f43b6ddf474ef4686ee2.jpg

That K isn't too fuggly looking under the covers.

I'm doing my biennial strip down on the RT. This year, the RT gets new left side switchgear to address a intermittent cruise control issue the bike has had since I bought it. The girl is also getting her accessories completely rewired. When I bought the bike, I kludged together much of the wiring,  reusing and piggybacking on the previous owners wiring. I'll rip that all out and start her fresh.

The GS gets cam timing and valve check this weekend as well.

20220226_121305.thumb.jpg.09ca1404759544da4c82a4339883fb93.jpg

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

I'm doing my biennial strip down on the RT. This year, the RT gets new left side switchgear to address a intermittent cruise control issue the bike has since I bought it. This year, the girl is getting her accessories completely rewired. When I bought the bike, I kludged together much of the wiring,  reusing and piggybacking much of  the previous owners wiring. I'll rip that all out and start her fresh.

Sounds like the perfect time to wire in even more electronics.  I'm thinking maybe a small blender so you can make us frozen cocktails in the parking lot?  Any room on the dash?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
10 hours ago, Boxflyer said:

Hi Ed,

As of right now, it looks like I will be there with my trailer and lift.  I need to coordinate more with IndyDave to see what he would like me to do in the way of demonstrations, but I'll have my tire changer, about 6-8 tires, and plenty of Final Drive boots and brake pads!

Since the New Year, I bought a lathe and have been steadily making Cam Timing Tool Kits...so I'll bring some of those along with me.

See you there,

Brad

Excellent !!  Looking forward to seeing you there!!  

20 hours ago, greiffster said:

Sounds like the perfect time to wire in even more electronics.  I'm thinking maybe a small blender so you can make us frozen cocktails in the parking lot?  Any room on the dash?

I like the way you think! Nothing like a great frozen margarita! :beer:

22 hours ago, greiffster said:

I didn't know you have to use a mixer with your moonshine?

13 hours ago, Bernie said:

I didn't know you have to use a mixer with your moonshine?

Only for those with a more delicate palate.

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
On 2/25/2022 at 12:37 PM, randy said:

IMG_1159.JPG

So Saturday I get my rear shock in.  and all I need to do is install the rear shock and gas tank and I can spend about 6 hours, and whole back half of the bike, i.e. from tank to rear tail light would be done.

I am holding the tank up and my wife is connecting the overflow hose, the vapor hose, electrical connector and fuel line, she looks at the overflow hose, and tells me it has micro factures in it and one is actually split enough to be a safety concern

so disconnect the fuel line, electrical connector, set the gas tank aside, go in and order replacement hose and it should be here Wednesday.  

so disappointed, the whole back half of the bike could have been completed and just waiting the three weeks on the front suspension rebuild, but now sitting around waiting for new hose lines to arrive.

So I am spending my time working on the SS brake lines Chris K helped me install. The rear routed cleanly and with a couple zip tie's the lines look OEM.  But I am now realizing the front lines are ok, but I can do better.  the lines are routed correctly, but with the whole front suspension gone I have a better view to the front lines going over/around the radiator and I can now see a better place to put the bracket for holding the lines in place.  So I am going to make lemonade out of lemon's and clean up the SS brake line bracket/mounting location.

Hopefully next Monday I can post a picture showing the back half of the bike completed, and I can do a start of the bike to ensure all electrical connectors have been correctly attached..  Then just a quick install of the front forks, front wheel, front brake calipers and a full system brake bleed, and START here I come  :-)

• Like 3
Lone_RT_rider
1 minute ago, randy said:

new rotors, rebuilt calipers, new pads, that vehicle with stop like it should :-)

LOL... It stops better now and drives a lot better since it's no longer dragging the pads on the left rear wheel. But, It has never had the brakes it really should have. What I really need to do is a fully stainless line kit and a full fluid change. 

5 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

LOL... It stops better now and drives a lot better since it's no longer dragging the pads on the left rear wheel. But, It has never had the brakes it really should have. What I really need to do is a fully stainless line kit and a full fluid change. 

is that the Ford F150?

1 hour ago, Ydo said:

Oh well I was number 48 for a short while on roll call. Honest

image.png.ab1a9b33ac17e4bff8008cd0bc01d7ff.png 

Ed - did you forget to pay your annual dues? :4322:

I'll fix it when I get back home. I was out of town for a few days and parked the list on a thumb drive and updated a few times from that. Once back home, I reverted to the old list.:ohboy:

One of these days I'll just use Google docs or Dropbox. Actually, I'm "Beta Testing" :4296: the UnRally list on Google Docs. No issues so far.

Do send me your dues right away for express service! :3:

• Haha 1