IGNORED

START (Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour) Blairsville, GA April 27 - May 1, 2022

Indy Dave

Anyone planning rides for the ADV maps?  I would like to run them both.  One Thursday and one Friday but do not want to go alone.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TSConver said:

Anyone planning rides for the ADV maps?  I would like to run them both.  One Thursday and one Friday but do not want to go alone.

I’m not necessarily following the GS routes provided. Bill pointed me to this water crossing a while back and when Bill gives you a route, you just gotta find it. :classic_biggrin: Sometimes it takes a year or two to get to them but, he’s led me to some of the most memorable places. :thumbsup:

I have this one planned for Thursday, Friday or Saturday. You’re more than welcome to join in.

Looks like a couple places that will keep your heart rate up but I think it’s doable.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Brunhilde is sharing a room with me. I can start to get excited about the Start:14:  This has been a crazy spring for me.

Alan

• Like 3
Lone_RT_rider
1 minute ago, Foot said:

Brunhilde is sharing a room with me. I can start to get excited about the Start:14:  This has been a crazy spring for me.

Alan

Work is trying it's damndest to make me not think about START....... Work is loosing that battle.  ;)

• Like 4
Lone_RT_rider
19 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I’m not necessarily following the GS routes provided. Bill pointed me to this water crossing a while back and when Bill gives you a route, you just gotta find it. :classic_biggrin: Sometimes it takes a year or two to get to them but, he’s led me to some of the most memorable places. :thumbsup:

I have this one planned for Thursday, Friday or Saturday. You’re more than welcome to join in.

Looks like a couple places that will keep your heart rate up but I think it’s doable.

Pat, that just looks like the hell you have to get through when one of Ken's old SR routes takes you down a wrong turn. :(  UHG

• Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
roadscholar
20 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I’m not necessarily following the GS routes provided. Bill pointed me to this water crossing a while back and when Bill gives you a route, you just gotta find it. :classic_biggrin: Sometimes it takes a year or two to get to them but, he’s led me to some of the most memorable places. : thumbsup:

Pat the water level was really low in that one, it's usually more like this, still plenty doable as shown in the Chris crossing : ) 

IMG_0599.JPG

The other thing is they were going downhill (W-E) which is the easier direction although I found this video (same guys?) going uphill with before and after footage of the road getting smoothed over and gravel, should be much easier now even though it was last year.

A couple months ago Bernie asked me for some ADV routes which I drew up and sent him but evidently used someone else's. Which is fine, they were probably a bit long and I did include a cautionary note about Charlie's Creek (not to ride it alone) along with a bypass but he may have assumed they were all a little more difficult than the average BMWST GS rider was interested in. Knowing you're not the Starbucks type I'll be happy to send them to you : )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bill, I thought they were riding it the opposite way (downhill) of the planned route. It’s good that they fixed the road some! :thumbsup:

edit…just viewed some of the video, ya way better! Maybe I’ll take the RT instead. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
roadscholar

Yeah, shouldn't be an issue in either direction now, although the one I sent Bernie had it going downhill just to be safe (I wasn't worried about you : ). Found your email in an old PM, I'll send you the routes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I am game.

• Like 2

Just so you know what I'm bringing to START.

I have 4 sets of tires that fit the RT's and 1 rear Dunlop RS3 that fits the K1600 along with my NoMar tire changer.

3 sets of brake pads, and SpeedBleeders, a couple of FD boots, some FD small bearing seals, as well as other OEM spares.

Spark plugs for WetHeads and ShiftHeads, 3 ea oil and air filters oil for the 12k Demo Services I'm doing,

Oil, spline grease, boot lube, LV brake fluid, crush washers, on and on and on...

GS-911 to reset any bike that needs a service reminder reset.

I will be at the hotel for the entire event as I'm not bringing my 2017RT or my K1600GT to ride...just wrench all week.

There are a couple of bikes lined up for the 12k service demos, and the date for each of those will be announced later by the ART's Team (IndyDave)

As was the case with the last 3 ART's events that I've attended, I will be helping out anyone that needs help with something that occurs during this event.

Oh, I'll also have my DIY Cam Timing Tool Kit for sale onsite.

Looking forward to meeting some new folks!

Boxflyer (Brad)

5B084952-A730-4218-88B3-6BD3D722ABB0_1_11D5F3E01-4503-435A-B6DD-CA068BA6BE07_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.8ab76202a2aada4d4d3da800f6e18b5f.jpeg8B5F5206-0A6B-49F1-9816-179E432D23FA_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.901eab227ba3524dd83e0cd6e5c652ec.jpeg

40B56853-4A03-434D-B6DE-3B979800D692_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.ec077c542f876509ef40cb12b6acbb2c.jpegA539EAC9-02CB-4B5D-ABA3-7E56FBE11AB2_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.fc1f214784d027f565247f54d2949c8e.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Smile 1
10 minutes ago, Boxflyer said:

Just so you know what I'm bringing to START.

I have 4 sets of tires that fit the RT's and 1 rear Dunlop RS3 that fits the K1600 along with my NoMar tire changer.

3 sets of brake pads, and SpeedBleeders, a couple of FD boots, some FD small bearing seals, as well as other OEM spares.

Spark plugs for WetHeads and ShiftHeads, 3 ea oil and air filters oil for the 12k Demo Services I'm doing,

Oil, spline grease, boot lube, LV brake fluid, crush washers, on and on and on...

GS-911 to reset any bike that needs a service reminder reset.

I will be at the hotel for the entire event as I'm not bringing my 2017RT or my K1600GT to ride...just wrench all week.

There are a couple of bikes lined up for the 12k service demos, and the date for each of those will be announced later by the ART's Team (IndyDave)

As was the case with the last 3 ART's events that I've attended, I will be helping out anyone that needs help with something that occurs during this event.

Oh, I'll also have my DIY Cam Timing Tool Kit for sale onsite.

Looking forward to meeting some new folks!

Boxflyer (Brad)

5B084952-A730-4218-88B3-6BD3D722ABB0_1_11D5F3E01-4503-435A-B6DD-CA068BA6BE07_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.8ab76202a2aada4d4d3da800f6e18b5f.jpeg8B5F5206-0A6B-49F1-9816-179E432D23FA_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.901eab227ba3524dd83e0cd6e5c652ec.jpeg

40B56853-4A03-434D-B6DE-3B979800D692_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.ec077c542f876509ef40cb12b6acbb2c.jpegA539EAC9-02CB-4B5D-ABA3-7E56FBE11AB2_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.fc1f214784d027f565247f54d2949c8e.jpeg

Woo hoo Boxflyer!! Thanks so much! :5185:

I like the upgraded kits! How many greenbacks should I bring for a set? :4323:

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 1

Hi Dave,

Looks like I've about exhausted the supply chain on DIY Cam Chain Tensioners, so like everything else around us...prices have gone up since last year.

Here's what I'm asking for a complete set...and I'm going to sell complete 4 or 5 piece sets first before I sell individual components.

I can, and will, make more of the DIY TDC Tools and Engine Turning Tools when I get home, but I've scoured the planet for used Cam Chain Tensioners for donor parts.

I'm also making the OEM sleeve for the BMW OEM CCT that will allow you to transition your 1200 tool to work on a 1250 if you want.  $20

The last thing I'm making in my shop and bringing along is a set of 3 speciality created bolts used to hold down the large Cam Bearing Bridge on the K1600 engine.  These are used when you remove the 28 nuts that hold the cams in position during the changing of Valve Shim Buckets on the K1600.  $55

CCT Price List

1. CCT with 42mm sleeve $175
  2. TDC Locking 8mm Pin $85
  3. 16mm Torque Adaptor $35
  4. Engine Turning Tool $55
  5. WetHead Cam Alignment Jig $50
  6. S&H using PP Family and Friends $15(sorry, gas $$$ are up)

Total for WetHeads

#1-#4 $350

#1-#4 $365 shipped USPS lower 48 as a Kit

#1-#5 $400

#1-#5 $415 shipped USPS lower 48 as a Kit

• Like 4
steve.foote
On 4/20/2022 at 12:49 PM, lawnchairboy said:

couldn't be, he was Army.

:4322:

Watch it Pal!  Foot has backup this time.

• Like 1

ADMINISTRIVIA

It's almost time to mount up and head out! Here's a few last minute details:

1. Please let us know by posting your preferred main meal choice (between Hand Made Hamburger, Pulled BBQ Pork and a Large Beef Hot Dog) on this thread:

2) With our normal Group Meal Restaurant closed for remodeling, combined with our hotel not having a conference room, we've had to rent tables and chairs for Thursday's Pizza and Friday's meal. Including the surplus of funds from FART - between the stickers and tables - our expenses for Blairsville comes out to $3 per person, which we will invite you to contribute once we're in Blairsville.

Thanks one and all, see you soon!!

• Like 3

Nearby.  Popsicles!

Whether you are a first time rider trying to figure it all out, or a seasoned expert, Motor Sports Plus has something to offer everyone. Our building is full of character and is changing daily. It has been here since 1952 when it was built to be a car dealership. At Motor Sports Plus, we have many local customers who come by every day just to hang out, plan rides, tell lies, and socialize! You will find we have awesome hospitality treats, such as coffee, hot chocolate, and soft drinks, and even free popsicles during the summer! So come by and visit Dan, Dawn, and crew and see our historic downtown building. We have something new going on every single day, so you never know who or what you might run into!

• Like 2

Clearwaters front and rear mounted and working, Jesse's mounted, plug for the heat (just in case), and new Pirellis mounted.  Is it Wednesday yet!

20220424_191319.jpg

• Like 8
8 hours ago, F16Viper68 said:

Some stern looking faces there.  :)  Cant' wait to see everyone on Wednesday.  

I thought the same thing!

Is it Wednesday yet?

1 hour ago, brianh70 said:

Is it Wednesday yet?

They were worried about who was going to get stuck with the check!

Actually, we all had very long rides yesterday, all between 450-490 of off interstate miles, and Boxflyer, Pork chop and NY Steve trailering over 700 and dealing with I-95.

Terry and Tim have separately been on the road several days already, and Dave C had two back to back 480 days before we all met last night.

It's good to be alive. And riding! See you all soon!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well, folks ... I'm out. Deadlines loom ... a 2-year project is kicking off this week. Found myself very distracted by personal events this past month, and so now I have to make up the time. 

We may drive up one evening to say hi and visit. 

• Sad 8
8 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

:cry:  It's not a party without you two!

Agreed!  That sucks, man.  No pressure, but are you sure you two can't ride up Friday evening-ish, go for a Saturday ride, and then head back Sunday?

• Like 2
On 4/25/2022 at 6:36 AM, brianh70 said:

Is it Wednesday yet?

Take two:

20220425_200603.thumb.jpg.5d341c8d90d4dd6fbbc336f59409ab13.jpg

Brushing up on his skills..

20220425_171824.thumb.jpg.ca06fd70853b4a05545bf908e3640340.jpg

• Like 4

Well, the Fates have conspired against me and I am not going to be able to make this START.  I am beyond disappointed, but so it goes.  :cry:  

I will be looking at the UN --- 

• Sad 7
6 minutes ago, Burt said:

Out.  Have a good time.

Burt!?! Come on down and get a change of scenery!! We have missed you now for several events!! 🙁

terryofperry
2 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Please post your pictures and videos that you would like to share with the group, so that us poor slobs that can’t make it to START 2022 have a even bigger reason to be mad at what ever prevented us from attending in person. Thanks!

START 2022 Blairsville Pictures

:4607::5185:

Thanks for starting that Bernie.

Terry

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

Burt!?! Come on down and get a change of scenery!! We have missed you now for several events!! 🙁

Maybe the UN.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, BSA Bill said:

(first post)

IN Wed-Fri.  Lowndes is a baaad influence.  

Welcome Bill! Loundes is a good man!

• Like 1
23 hours ago, terryofperry said:

Thanks for starting that Bernie.

Terry

Absolutely!  We want to know what we’re missing 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, BSA Bill said:

(first post)

IN Wed-Fri.  Lowndes is a baaad influence.  

You gotta watch that Loundes for sure!

• Smile 1
8 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

We are close, stopped for a burger in Gillsville.20220427_132406.thumb.jpg.c3dd351f4e8a6847f3f450778cac0f96.jpg

Ha! So that was someone heading this way! We passed through there also and saw the bikes parked in the back. Thought it might be somebody from this group..!

• Like 4