IGNORED

Anybody go for ride today? Got Pictures?

Redman

Another ride that involved seeing a big lake freighter coming in a channel.

Here The Saginaw (660 footer) into Holland this afternoon.

A8A0C357-F9BC-465F-A278-716B39BC7718.jpeg

• Like 3

Despite the heat elsewhere, it's still cool enough in Northern California to get some good riding in (as long as one stays fairly near to the coast).   Here's some pics from a ride yesterday on Marshall-Petaluma Rd and Pt. Reyes-Petaluma Rd.

image.thumb.jpeg.5391148838a80e67fc7ef0f308bc247f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.674cfef7a5e4b430ba5a254a3802cd88.jpeg

• Like 8

Took a ride around Newman Lake, Washington, which is the sister lake to my own (Hauser Lake).   1.5 hours from the house to my return, including some time spent at a gas station fiddling with the adjustments on the new Sargent backrest.   

Very pretty area.  Mixed between farmland, the lake, some cottages along the lake, and some foothills west of the lake.  Great little ride, with gentle twisties, a few sweepers, and some hairpins snaking around the cottage area.  The Insta360 X2 is on my Christmas shopping list.  When/if I pick that up, I'll do a video on this little ride circuit.  

image.thumb.jpeg.b9bc3e03384e38f524577e6dd0d5b3ad.jpeg

The main significance for me was just getting my lazy butt on that bike and going for a little ride.  I've put less than 200 miles on the bike since I bought it in Long Beach last October, had it shipped to Idaho, wintered it over in the garage, and then first brought it out in something like May.  A combination of self-discipline (I have projects around the house to "finish" the build I did in 2016, and I'm not gonna "play" until they are done), and a gastrointestinal ailment, have kept me off the bike.  The ailment is a knotted stomach ever time I get on the bike.  I've told the story i.e. sold my last 2005 RT 2015 during the move from CA to Idaho, and haven't ridden since. 

Anyhow, I finally cleaned out the garage (i.e. stacked up project material, including about 4 tons of stone for the house, finally OUT of there), dug the bike out ("Hey, lookie what we found here!  It's pretty and red, too.  I wonder where that came from ... oh...now I remember."  😔).  Clean the dust of it (I bought a cover, but never got it on in time before we started the stone work, and after it was all dusty, there wasn't a point🙄), washed it off, and ran it down to pick up the mail, then parked it CLEAN in the garage.   I promised myself that because the riding season was nearly over, I was gonna ride this thing every day.  So, hmm, it's the 3rd of September, bike's still sitting in the garage.  Maybe today .... which goes by, no work done, 2pm, I'm about to write it off.

Then a guy calls me about some nails I'm selling off on Craigslist, he wants to meet in 15 minutes, and I think "Ok, ok, this is it, no excuses, we're gonna get on that bike, sell those nails, and keep on RIDiING!  No, I mean it.  Today!".  I pulled out the box of motorcycle gear (I had enough presence of mind in May to at least get the gear covered, cause that stuff is nasty to clean with stone and drywall dust all over it), and started the "5 minute" process of putting it all on.   Hmm, I used to sling on the helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves, and be off in five minutes on the old RT, and that included a oil glass check.   NOT.ANY.MORE.  Everything's new.  I'm out of practice, out of shape, and can't remember crap anyhow.  Finally get all that stuff on, open up the garage door, and ....

15+ mph sudden wind gusts, rain just starting pelting down.   "Damik!!  I am gonna ride this bike, come hell or high water!"🙄  Which is .... just about what it looked like. Overcast, smoke filled skies, WITH WIND, and rain, and ... I'm doing it.  Get there (local highway to meet the guy) 10 minutes late, calm ride, no big deal, but the stomach is still twisted in knots.   Rain is just starting to hit hard, but there was nothing in the forecast (i.e. I guess that 15% precipitation thingy is a real thing), my rule is don't willingly ride in the rain if you can avoid it, but dang it, I'm on the bike, I'm gonna ride it!

Ride was pretty.  Just what I needed.  

No real issues.  I have trained myself (or it's a bad habit, either way) to ride the yellow line on inside (right turn) corners, and ride to the right (i.e. white line when there is one), on outside corners (left), to maintain the best line of sight between me and oncoming traffic, and vice-versa.  Well, that's great on clean, dry, spotless highways.  On wet, slippery, highways with debris (remember that wind?) on it, it's ... somewhat more interesting.  I hit a pine cone (probably) on a right twistie, which slid my front tire to the left 6 or 8 inches, which put the tire on fresh yellow paint, which slid the front tire left another six inches, until it seemed like my bike was traveling laterally more than forward for a few seconds.  No harm done.  I regained control and got back across the line pretty quickly, doubled back to pick up my stomach which had fallen out on the road near that pine cone, reinstalled, and off we were, none the worse for wear.  (Yeah, the stomach loosened up about 10 minutes later.)

Anyhow, nice little ride, nothing to report (as you can read above), and it was a good little training run.   Good gear familiarization.  I bought some boots back in 2014 and had never worn them, wore them only one time on this bike, and couldn't shift with them.  This time, no problems, and they fit fine. The new backrest (as I mentioned) was giving me fits, but I think I've finally got it adjusted correctly, and can ~~ almost ~~ mount and dismount with it blocking my leg, without me or the bike falling over.  I had numbness in my left hand at the beginning of the ride, and on my throttle hand the latter half of the ride.  Opening my palm to cover the brake and releasing my death grip (as I should have been doing all along) helped some.    Memo to self:  Double check that front tire treads.  These tires were supposed to be "new" from the dealer, but they looked as though they had maybe 1000 miles on them.  That little slip is one of my worst fears, losing the front or rear end of the bike and hitting the ground ugly.  I was 2 lbs low on the tire pressure front and back, but they shouldn't be slipping like that, IMHO.  Saw a couple of deer, honked at 'em, they gave me that blank (arrogant!) stare, so I gave 'em another blast.  Then I figured it out, I have no horn.  I probably either forgot to hook up the wire or botched it when I was measuring for the air horn (which is another project stilling on the work bench table), or it never worked in the first place (who tests a horn when they first ride their bike?!).

Hmmm, now it's lightening, raining, windy, thunder, thank God (no, really, that big guy upstairs who cares about me!) that I got back a half hour ago, cause it's not fun out there now.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

Took a ride around Newman Lake, Washington, which is the sister lake to my own (Hauser Lake).   1.5 hours from the house to my return, including some time spent at a gas station fiddling with the adjustments on the new Sargent backrest.   

Very pretty area.  Mixed between farmland, the lake, some cottages along the lake, and some foothills west of the lake.  Great little ride, with gentle twisties, a few sweepers, and some hairpins snaking around the cottage area.  The Insta360 X2 is on my Christmas shopping list.  When/if I pick that up, I'll do a video on this little ride circuit.  

image.thumb.jpeg.b9bc3e03384e38f524577e6dd0d5b3ad.jpeg

The main significance for me was just getting my lazy butt on that bike and going for a little ride.  . . . . . 

Well, you DID get out for a ride. And, hey, next time will most likely be better. And that next time needs to be sooner.

• Plus 1 2
2 minutes ago, Redman said:

Well, you DID get out for a ride. And, hey, next time will most likely be better. And that next time needs to be sooner.

It's a gorgeous day out there, today.  Smoke's mostly cleared (well, for a few hours, but I'm sure it'll be back).  Blue skies.  My lake looks pristine.  It's a perfect day to ....

.... sit on the deck and procrastinate!    🤣🤣🤣

(My younger self, that guy who could never afford a motorcycle while young, or while the kids were growing up, yeah, THAT guy ... would HATE me now, for not riding when I have every day, technically free to do so.🙄😖)

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I am in a hard debate with myself right now to ride (absolutely perfect day) , or nap. Sadly, nap is in the lead.

As I recall, my younger self never had problems with "energy", either.   Looking back, I have no clue how I worked 80 hour weeks, did military "weekends" twice a month plus 20+ days a year, traveled by air to client sites all over the country, and still did things like coaching little league, while raising a couple of good kids.  (Nudge: My wife tells me that she had something to do with raising those kids.  Who knew? 🤣)  Anyhow, I see my son doing some of the same "father" things now, and lol, I just die inside, hurting for him. 

Life was always busy, but there was always enough energy to get things done.  Today, not so much.  I know living healthier, losing weight, and etc. would help, but ultimately, you can't beat the energy-attrition of old age, just mitigate it a bit longer.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Here you go scott

Damik, now don't make me cry!  I miss every day I gave up with my kids, doing the other things I felt I had to do.   I love my grown kids, but I miss my little ones, SO MUCH.  I can't look at the pictures of them ... uh... before they reached the hormone filled, rampaging middle school age, lol, and they just make me cry.  What I'd give for just one lazy Sunday with my kids at age 4 and 5, or 6 and 7.

Anyways, the blessing is to have lived to enjoy those days, and have those memories.  I had a few buddies who never got that chance.  BUT, I have a grandchild to spoil, with another (secret) one on the way.  No time for self-centered sorrows.

I think it's time to go for a ride. 😁👍

• Like 1

Did not ride today, but de-summarized the bike… much like our colleagues up North come out of winter. Changed all fluids, did full pre-ride checklist. Now that it has creeped down to low 90’s and 85% humidity, I’m ready to ride again until next June. Hurry up winter. I missed you. 

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
14 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Here you go scott

Said "I guess the cat's in the cradle now" to my mom after I watched my dad take his last breath.

• Like 1
On 7/29/2022 at 12:31 PM, longjohn said:

I dropped one off for gas cap service and they gave me a loaner, so I figured I’d head up into the mts. 

edit:  what a hoot. I thought I’d be cramped but it wasn’t bad at all. And 200lbs lighter!!

FAE1615C-35EF-4926-ABA4-16B52E8EECB1.thumb.jpeg.6129233eef7e561b842481408a2d97a7.jpeg

I dropped the loaner off one afternoon a couple of weeks later as my bike had been repaired, and the service guy asks me if I'm staying for the food?  Huh?  "Yeah it's bike night and there will be tacos!".  Heck yes.  The tacos were great, and there was a big turnout from folks in the area.  I didn't stay long as it was getting late, so I headed up into the mts to see how they did on paving Big Tujunga.  Excellent job!  All of the rough patches have been smoothed over.  So for those of you who groused after following me up there a couple of times, FEAR NOT.  You know who you are.  :3:

The part retails for $275.  Oy.

IMG_4315forweb.thumb.jpg.52ce398a59b8d30b2979b5eade01ebb1.jpg

IMG_4316forweb.thumb.jpg.eedd1983083e72d65a7267a8fdb3f2c6.jpg

• Like 4

Took a little ride around this thing today. 
7D90EDCE-CBB8-4AC9-B1CC-03B98121B547.thumb.jpeg.1aaf96e4489360020dc6bee4619cf161.jpeg

About 85 years ago my grandfather pumped gas from these and lived upstairs during the season. I never got to see them with gas, but I stop and get a pic with whatever I’m riding or driving whenever I come through. 
065C9A5F-D6CE-4355-B623-458D9BAD921D.thumb.jpeg.02a8ae63ba4a5d95b095766b7d1d9ea5.jpeg

ETA:

I almost forgot: stopped by my aunt/uncle’s place and picked (literally) up some veggies. This was (mostly) one sidecase; the other was also filled with corn and distributed on the way home. 
FB20D217-E800-492B-8C07-B2813178B2E0.thumb.jpeg.a53934fc867a587e6a919cb0dc34dd16.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Haha 1
20 hours ago, szurszewski said:

Mountains? You eastern people are pretty funny ;)

That's what the Indians, Chinese and Pakistani's say about the western U. S. peoples little mountains ;)

Just took a wee trip with my wife Victoria to some of the West’s National Parks…Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Arches…with our friends Katie and Mike. Day after day of splendiferous scenery….

E0966AF9-D572-4FB7-8636-8158A74BE186.jpeg

CD9771B4-46F7-491F-A3FD-318A6D6CE576.jpeg

F415FC02-5054-449F-9084-3BA7E4F7ED32.jpeg

11F472F1-BCB2-4791-9756-18E8AC71AAA4.jpeg

94B2D957-D05E-47DD-A5EC-252FD9B6A487.jpeg

58DC36F0-6683-48BF-9AAE-2242945E931F.jpeg

B3FFF129-417A-4886-A018-0BAA28340A00.jpeg

5EA7AB22-9D18-41DC-A088-C1FAB6B7ACF2.jpeg

9776289A-9253-4842-A6BF-D39E8C447527.jpeg

E4BAAB4C-C4CF-4B13-9C5B-075B46D76BE4.jpeg

65D78ECA-922B-4673-9A32-D17C5F8096E7.jpeg

3C58A1F9-AE01-456A-BA75-D42D355D1993.jpeg

2696BD3D-4D99-4F0C-896C-330F525F307A.jpeg

D4A6C602-FAB0-4810-BE09-3C9DFBB3773A.jpeg

0D4CF36D-B069-4598-B1C7-2002EE66151C.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Dennis Andress said:

It's all relative.

_DSC2179-X4.jpg

Quit lookin' down on the rest of us!  It's kinda impolite.  🤣😎

My cousin's daughter moved from California to Tennessee, leading him and his wife to look around there at a possible new home.  Since he was a kid who grew up in the California Sierras, he had much the same attitude towards what folks back east call "mountains".   Same with .... can't recall now, it was either my sister or my daughter or daughter-in-law's mom, who both moved from CA back east.   She thought the Appalachians were nice little foothills, but mountains?  🤣 Uhhh, no.  It's all a matter of perspective, and ... um...  well, a molehill can seem like a mountain to the poor mole trudging up it.

Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

It must be hard to get bad photos with such beautiful scenery.  Nice!

...  35 miles from home at 0700 hrs in snow and ice driving a 2300 lb Miata.  More giggles per gallon!

image.thumb.jpeg.348ad93a8ae254dd34559a72bc5f5638.jpeg

• Like 4

Seems like one of the best days of this summer was yesterday, three days before autumn.

Both the 11yo and 8yo grandkids and my wife (grandma) all wanted to go for ride with our son (Justin Redmanson) and me (grandpa). But grandma didn't want to go too far, and wanted to stay off certain roads. So we figured out the logistics to make that all happen.

Driveway pic (no roadside pic).....
7zl9rAF.jpg
Justin, Tiger1050, with one kid.
Grandpa, RT with other kid (switch after stopping for ice cream) (Ice Cream being another grandma request/requirement.)
Grandma, Shadow500.

Recent weeks my wife (grandma) has been wanting to get back on the bike, has been 3+ years, so we had a few practice sessions.

• Like 5
  • Plus 1 1

Went for a ride last Saturday and happened upon the rig in the background located at a custom home being built north of me.

IMG_6915-XL.jpg

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, beemerboy said:

Went for a ride last Saturday and happened upon the rig in the background located at a custom home being built north of me.

IMG_6915-XL.jpg

It's the right color, but the wrong brand.  #CATlife ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had been temps above average this several days, into the 70s.

THis morning was 42degF.

Had an appointment and then ran some errands.

By lunch time was55degF, went to a sandwhich shop.

In those travels , Got comments from three different guys.

"I have been riding, but too cold today".

"About time to put bike away , aint it?"

"Maybe if it was another 15 degrees, so was 68 degrees....."

My comments were:

"Just got liner back in jacket, and got out the thicker gloves."

What I wanted to say:

"You like riding... or do you just like owning a harley..?"

"If you ride in 60degrees you can double the season over riding in 70degrees."

ANyway, Interesting that got 3 comment today.

After lunch went for another ride, out of town, looking to see if any fall color out along the river.

Saw just a couple branches.

A94C5eJl.jpg

Ts5EgMpl.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I hear it from other riders all the time about riding in the 50s, 40s, and into the 30s and how it's too cold for them. I love riding, so it gives me a few extra months a year to get out. An electric jacket helps extend the season a lot more comfortably.

Down here in the foothills of NC, 'twas 47* this morning.  Alls I did was throw a light fleece under the 'stich.  Gots to be much colder for the 'lectric to get utilized.  So long as no ice is expected, I'm an all year rider, 30's, 20's, teens and single digits,.....and triple digits as well ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well no ride to report today.  Maybe tomorrow. It cooled down to 98 today and might drop to 97 tomorrow. Jealous of you mountain folks… until winter. 

9 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Well no ride to report today.  Maybe tomorrow. It cooled down to 98 today and might drop to 97 tomorrow. Jealous of you mountain folks… until winter. 

Get one of those Racing Cool Vests and put the cooler of Ice in the cases :)
And you wear it under you Mesh jacket !

I guess the riding season started again, I rode 300 miles last Saturday to a new-to-me coffee shop, with some friends.

8E1F7A38-92A6-455E-B879-A57E1E5624CA.thumb.jpeg.7ccb6c20ce96598fb1ab776deeaf5110.jpeg

You can see the RT and my Yellow Stitch trough the glass door.

58AD4D9F-8D56-471A-8F04-D737B9D2E49A.thumb.jpeg.a83915fb4960837694f4a4220185eb60.jpeg

Today I met Bil and his GS at a Starbucks around 7 AM and we rode into S-GA, to experience the so-called “cold front”. We did see the temperatures drop to 63F, but in the early afternoon it was back up into the mid 80’sF. But it was a nice clear day, not a cold in the sky and guess what, No Humidity. Amazing.

We had a nice ride of around 385 miles.

C2E78BFE-A76C-47E7-BEBD-04A1A717E078.thumb.jpeg.8c168cffff2bfa96dab13355fc8f1544.jpeg427148A0-1C65-4CD7-9BBA-56DAFF80C408.thumb.jpeg.384da74dc221002fd5f5401f3cff0104.jpeg

• Like 10
On 9/24/2022 at 4:43 PM, Bernie said:

I guess the riding season started again, I rode 300 miles last Saturday to a new-to-me coffee shop, with some friends.

8E1F7A38-92A6-455E-B879-A57E1E5624CA.thumb.jpeg.7ccb6c20ce96598fb1ab776deeaf5110.jpeg

You can see the RT and my Yellow Stitch trough the glass door.

Waycross GA.....

I spent a week (work) in next town north on 23, Alma. Of all the places I have been, I rember that town cuz was so friendly.

• Like 1
On 9/23/2022 at 10:28 PM, Skywagon said:

Saw this last week

image.png.1340def3d68b14d3faa3f9fdb3cb7afb.png

Just got back from a 3 hr. ride to get my freshly made bagels and cream cheese. On my way back I noticed a newly open bbq joint, with a gentlemen’s club right beside it. Would have stopped, but was a little short on tip money. Next time !!

66D7A18C-B2AA-4EC6-8DB0-17DD44E82B0B.jpeg

F6B88BB8-85D5-4027-8470-73EC6C343B30.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Smile 2
1 hour ago, taylor1 said:

Just got back from a 3 hr. ride to get my freshly made bagels and cream cheese. On my way back I noticed a newly open bbq joint, with a gentlemen’s club right beside it. Would have stopped, but was a little short on tip money. Next time !!

Well, dang, everything ya need, all in one stop.  Talk about convenience!  🤣🍻

.A week ago, the small lighthouse near Empire MI.  image.thumb.jpeg.40ebae7bd07032d301a34a6e70185aa8.jpeg

This morning, a turbine wheel at the Ludington pumped storage power Plant. Also 20F cooler today.  image.thumb.jpeg.4cbebdffe649943812f25692a7f7b251.jpeg

• Like 7
On 9/28/2022 at 2:36 PM, Michiganr80rt said:

.A week ago, the small lighthouse near Empire MI.  '''''

''''''''

Interesting. CAn ride up right next to it... and next to the lake.

Had a little ride to nowhere particular yesterday. After crossing the St John River in the dark, I looked back east.

Seeing this view, I had to make a u-turn and take a picture.

1756124174_2022-10-0106_48_33.thumb.jpg.fb24c55fdd5c3e71f552c7bff5352ab6.jpg1460808492_2022-10-0106_48_46.thumb.jpg.6ee54c6052b674713f577a88f1e9fb1a.jpg2101205983_2022-10-0106_49_05.thumb.jpg.2a4abf835490d552348afd2cb1a2e0ca.jpg

After that I rode west and ended up in Gainesville for a bagel and a coffee.

757076353_2022-10-0109_05_22.thumb.jpg.93f3a537121e1eb5b7b196b04dbffff4.jpg

After that I rode west to High Springs, Mayo and back to Jax.

Beautiful day for a 360 mile ride with temperatures in the 56 to 82 F degree range. Fall has arrived in NE-FL.

• Like 7
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
55 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Had a little ride to nowhere particular yesterday. After crossing the St John River in the dark, I looked back east.

Seeing this view, I had to make a u-turn and take a picture.

1756124174_2022-10-0106_48_33.thumb.jpg.fb24c55fdd5c3e71f552c7bff5352ab6.jpg1460808492_2022-10-0106_48_46.thumb.jpg.6ee54c6052b674713f577a88f1e9fb1a.jpg2101205983_2022-10-0106_49_05.thumb.jpg.2a4abf835490d552348afd2cb1a2e0ca.jpg

After that I rode west and ended up in Gainesville for a bagel and a coffee.

757076353_2022-10-0109_05_22.thumb.jpg.93f3a537121e1eb5b7b196b04dbffff4.jpg

After that I rode west to High Springs, Mayo and back to Jax.

Beautiful day for a 360 mile ride with temperatures in the 56 to 82 F degree range. Fall has arrived in NE-FL.

It's just plain strange how every picture looks just a little bit better, with a BMW motorcycle parked in the background.  🤣🍻

• Smile 1