IGNORED

Out And About

Rinkydink

Joe Frickin' Friday

Sign of the times:

When I first joined here back in 1999, this place was all about the RT.  But now it seems like most folks have moved on to other models, with the most popular being far and away the GS. I recently went to the Bing AI Image creator and asked for pics of "riding a BMW R1250RT across southern Utah".  The pics that came back were a plausible imagining of southern Utah, but that's definitely not an RT:

_ecb638d0-1d4b-430c-aa2b-15bea3cef6a7.thumb.jpg.aa152dfb2cd2c0f1a213bf5e1c511020.jpg

_046eee22-1969-43aa-b3cc-27e4cb16063e.thumb.jpg.9186c279db8f125b459c5224c38254be.jpg

_7cdef08d-6d16-437c-a4b7-503966bfefed.thumb.jpg.bdc4a664bc0f2e763eeba565f0f8dd21.jpg

_1de8b37a-43c0-4a34-b07f-041a41b85144.thumb.jpg.e9db6dac21c510a48dfdd6e5c15b8298.jpg

I also liked how Bing doesn't really care which side of the double-yellow you ride on.  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Prolly passing that rolling road block of a photographer.   :burnout:

• Like 2
Joe Frickin' Friday
4 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Prolly passing that rolling road block of a photographer.   :burnout:

:classic_biggrin:

Some odd details:

-In the second pic, he's missing a few spokes on the back wheel.  I think I found them on the front wheel.  Also, the crash bars are pretty high; seems like they won't do much to protect the jugs.

- Third pic shows dual exhaust.  Must be aftermarket?  

- Fourth pic replaces the fuel filler cap with a roundel.  Except everything's just a bit wrong, like it's a cheap Chinese knock-off.  There are three blue quadrants and only one white one, and the BMW letter like they're rendered in Georgian script.  Also, either he's got cruise control, or he's only got one hand.  At least it's got the right number of fingers.

• Smile 1

.....and the left mirror is gone.   Image captured the last piece of it flying off.  :dontknow:

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
John Ranalletta

As Visual Capitalist's Marcus Lu shows below, the researchers calculated the number of driving incidents (accidents, speeding tickets, DUIs, citations) per 1,000 drivers sorted by vehicle brand in every state.

Come on! Owners of the bottom five brands are just finished eating their oatmeal and are getting ready for bed during rush hour.

image.thumb.png.af2842f7fcbb8643a7a0f02526dfef28.png

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

So, if the grid goes down, what's a bitcoin worth?

The same as your savings and 401k?

John Ranalletta
5 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

The same as your savings and 401k?

Same as anything not within reach and secured. It will become a barter economy a few days.

• Like 1

Bitcoin is still a concept I have a hard time grasping. I still don't see the actual "value" of solving a mathematical problem. What is the value of the solution, who uses it, and for what?

Probably a post for a different section.

John Ranalletta
4 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Bitcoin is still a concept I have a hard time grasping. I still don't see the actual "value" of solving a mathematical problem. What is the value of the solution, who uses it, and for what?

Probably a post for a different section.

Charlie Munger called it "rat poison squared".  Of course, Berkshire Hathaway has extensive investments in conventional banks that see bitcoin as a threat.

7 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Just wow!!!

I can think of other possible solutions before that. How much will they get fined for pollution? Nothing like spreading oil and fuel on your crops.

Joe Frickin' Friday
45 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I can think of other possible solutions before that. How much will they get fined for pollution? Nothing like spreading oil and fuel on your crops.

I know that in Wisconsin (probably in other states too), snowmobilers get fined for every day their sled is submerged in a lake (goal is to motivate them to fish it out ASAP), but that's because it's actually in water.  If trucks are buried in an earthen berm, that's less likely to spread much contamination - and they should be able to recover the trucks once the flood waters recede.

Its a shame that folks be throwin away perfectly good trucks like that.

• Smile 1
2 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

And looked like a losing battle.

3 hours ago, Hosstage said:

"Concerns about the environmental impact of this method were noted, given the trucks contained gasoline and oil. However, it was reported that the trucks would be retrieved after the floodwaters receded, minimizing potential environmental risks. The trucks, though likely inoperable post-recovery, played a crucial role in the temporary flood control measures."

From the pics, the trucks aided in filling the gap until buried and controlled the flooding.

Joe Frickin' Friday
16 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

If the "After" pic is accurate, then it worked - in which case sacrificing a couple of trucks worth a total of maybe $20K might have been a smart move, if it saved crops, buildings, and equipment that was potentially worth much more than that.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

If the "After" pic is accurate, then it worked - in which case sacrificing a couple of trucks worth a total of maybe $20K might have been a smart move, if it saved crops, buildings, and equipment that was potentially worth much more than that.

Nah, that'd be about $20k each if the Ford looks as good as the Chevy (price a decent truck lately?),.....but both would likely be some sort of writeoff for the farmers

Joe Frickin' Friday

This happened a few blocks from my house yesterday.  Short version:  salt truck's tailgate broke open and dumped mountain of salt on the road, then inattentive/tailgating driver slammed into it:

shio.thumb.jpg.7f90521b75c5b7a38e40230908f353b7.jpg

From the looks of things, his car is pretty screwed up: oil pan damage, bumper damage, possibly some steering damage.  Ouch.  

• Like 1

Most of the new houses going up around me have a double garage, single door.   The funny thing is:  a lot of people still have to park outside in the the small driveways; the garage ends up as a storage facility. 

In downtown Lilburn. they built a bunch of high-dollar townhomes with garages and really short driveways.   The rear of those townhomes have a common alley leading to the driveways of opposing buildings.  At one of the units on the end, there is a Tesla that cannot park in the driveway, pulled straight in, like normal.  That driveway is so short that there is not enough room to park it without the vehicle sticking out in the street (alley).   The Tesla driver's solution is to park in it sideways, across the driveway.  It seems apparent to me that the garage may be full of stuff and that EV cannot be parked inside.  It was 13F for my ride to work this morning.   I wonder if the batteries on that Tesla were holding a charge out while it sat out in the elements overnight.   :dontknow:

• Like 1

Let’s move to MAN-TOWN Baby! :yes: :rofl: Probably an RV community.

We came up with an idea for a new development. Build a firefighter themed neighborhood, construct mini firehouses for homes. :dontknow:

• Like 2

So long as it is located near a Firehouse Subs.   :grin:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
10 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

This happened a few blocks from my house yesterday.  Short version:  salt truck's tailgate broke open and dumped mountain of salt on the road, then inattentive/tailgating driver slammed into it:

From the looks of things, his car is pretty screwed up: oil pan damage, bumper damage, possibly some steering damage.  Ouch.  

And that, kids, is why we don't tailgate trucks or trailers. In fact, we stay away from the trucks. They become evil quickly.

• Plus 1 1
11 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Flashback!!! think think, remember swerve! Apparently the youth of today don't have this ability.   :dontknow:

10 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Replace the camera with a minigun, and you might be onto something.

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=8575c096142f632

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I was sort of expecting to see the fatal shot in the last few seconds of the video.   :dontknow:

M67

image.png.2f103d78309f3f84204dea423c9cbb4c.png

The fuze assembly are slightly different for training grenades,.....which are just empty bodies (blue balls).  

The training fuze assembly is dangerous outside of the body,......some of us know from experience.  When the primer pops the igniter, the aluminum becomes small fragments and do have a bit of distance reach (a few feet), but gives a bit of hurt if ya hit

And sometimes, that aluminum pops outta the bottom of the blue balls and hits ya.

image.thumb.png.b9a1785c28951f2fb082def714bcbc33.png

I think the Army guys get some sort of badge for just throwing these things:classic_rolleyes::whistle:

Here's what it looks like when a hand grenade explodes,......nothing like the movies.:classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1