IGNORED

Out And About

Rinkydink

Rinkydink
8 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Between those and nunchucks it's amazing we made it out with most of our senses. And teeth. Throw in a butterfly knife, and life was just plain dangerous.

Don’t forget lawn darts

IMG_6691.jpeg

Hosstage
10 minutes ago, Rinkydink said:

Don’t forget lawn darts

IMG_6691.jpeg

Except those are fake lawn dart of course. Real darts are made with steel points, dangerous as hell, put a lot of kids in the ER. A lot of kids. Who among us didn't whip one of those straight up in the air and then run for our lives?

• Plus 1 1
RandyShields
9 hours ago, Skywagon said:

What’s that ringing in my ears..

Almost all of my friends who are former military are hard of hearing.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Rougarou
28 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

or on their 4th set of hearing aids

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
4 hours ago, RandyShields said:

What did you say?

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Haha 2
John Ranalletta

A friend here in Indy, a former Ranger, has profound hearing loss.  The VA provided hearing aids that don't help much.

• Sad 1
Hosstage

I'm surprised all vets aren't deaf. Just the little bit of shooting, construction, and loud music I've done has hurt mine, can't imagine what being around that kind of shock to the system can do.

• Like 2
Rougarou
1 hour ago, John Ranalletta said:

A friend here in Indy, a former Ranger, has profound hearing loss.  The VA provided hearing aids that don't help much.

Theyre an aid not a cure and mine just assist not perfect the hearing. Even on its loudest i still have issues in restaurants and other noisy places. 

These are $7k Phonaks, top of the line that I have. 

John Ranalletta
1 minute ago, Rougarou said:

Theyre an aid not a cure and mine just assist not perfect the hearing. Even on its loudest i still have issues in restaurants and other noisy places. 

These are $7k Phonaks, top of the line that I have. 

Don't know what brand my friend has.  In a quiet diner, I have to speak up and make sure he's looking at me while I talk.

12 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Don't know what brand my friend has.  In a quiet diner, I have to speak up and make sure he's looking at me while I talk.

The VA doesn't skip on hearing aids I also have the 7000 dollar Phonaks. Just got mine they definitely help but don't cure hearing loss. 

John Ranalletta
24 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

The VA doesn't skip on hearing aids I also have the 7000 dollar Phonaks. Just got mine they definitely help but don't cure hearing loss. 

I've got fairly profound loss at high cycles and Phonaks as well.  They're helpful but I find "increasing volume" makes noise tinnier, like turning up the treble.  Perhaps it's age, too, but hearing is different than comprehending.  I and friends with hearing loss say they hear someone talking but don't understand what they're saying. 

Previous studies have shown that hearing impairment can cause a decrease in comprehension accuracy or an increase in reaction time, even at high speech intelligibility levels. Even a relatively mild hearing loss can increase the detrimental effects of rapid speech rates and syntactic complexity on the comprehension accuracy of spoken sentences.

• Like 1
Rougarou

My last hearing test, spoken word was used to see if I could understand the words in the headphones. 

i dont need a test or study to tell me that I need to see your mouth moving to understand most of what you are saying 

In the early 200’s, Id grab my daughters by the head and tell them to look at me when they were talking to me,…..and I was only in my early 30’s then. 

Noisy places, you can tell me your best friend died or your dog died,  ill just smile and nod in agreement with you cause likely, I didn’t understand your words. 

once those inner ear hairs are gone, they’re gone forever and it sucks

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Hosstage

Agreed on conversations in noisy environments, I struggle. But my hearing is remarkably good in quiet environs.

Hearing test next month, my guess is I may be in line for hearing aids. 

• Like 1
Skywagon

Well no hearing loss so far. Was tested about a year ago, but I have a moderate case of BPPV in my ears. Look it up. No cure. It happens 2-3 times a year and can last a day or a week. I can barely stand up when it happens. 

• Sad 1
BamaJohn
15 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Well no hearing loss so far. Was tested about a year ago, but I have a moderate case of BPPV in my ears. Look it up. No cure. It happens 2-3 times a year and can last a day or a week. I can barely stand up when it happens. 

I know what you mean.

I've done a good bit of offshore sailing and was always the "last guy standing".  But 2 weeks ago, while putting drops in my eyes, the room started spinning.  Good thing I was leaning up against the door!

Joe Frickin' Friday

In cold climates, calves' ears are vulnerable to frostbite.  So what's a cattle farmer to do?  Duh, give 'em ear muffs:

GrandMuffTarkin.thumb.jpg.3bcd2c56ae42bb5f9b336748b33c17e8.jpg

earmoofs.thumb.jpg.4d012d6a6cf544b1404774a60c50f4e5.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
roadscholar

went to a lot of rock concerts in the 60's and 70's but one in particular a buddy and i somehow ended up on stage (but out of sight) at a who concert. for the 2nd half we went down and stood on the front row, think there were around 20 marshall amps l0 or l5 feet away, needless to say it was very loud.

to get a racing license you had to pass a physical every year but in the late 70's to get an fia license for the 24 hours of daytona and l2 hours of sebring it required a more stringent one. went to a special hearing clinic where they isolated you in a glass room and a nurse outside had a dial and asked if you could hear the sound each time she lowered it. i didn't know what the threshold was so just kept saying yes after the last couple times i couldn't hear anything. passed : )

raced another 25 years w/o earplugs (some of the cars were literally painful inside at certain rpm's) and undoubtedly have some hearing loss, one year at the l2 hours after 4 stints my ears were ringing for 3 days afterwards but finally went away. can still hear most normal stuff, the exceptions are high pitched sounds and when there's a lot of background noise/conversation, need to read lips then. it's probably about time but no hearing aids or glasses yet at 76.

Rougarou
20 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

went to a special hearing clinic where they isolated you in a glass room and a nurse outside had a dial and asked if you could hear the sound each time she lowered it.

Ya, these little soundless chambers.  For the longest, I'd get asked if I had ringing in my ears prior to entering one of these,.....no I'd respond, I don't have no ringing.  But, as soon as that door was shut, riiiiiiiiiiiing, but I always thought that's what "silence" sounded like, it wasn't for several years/hearing tests later that one of the administrators asked specifically if I heard ringing in the soundbooth.  Why yes, every time I get in there, but that's what silence sounds like,.....no she says, that's what tinnitus sounds like.........I never knew.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Ya, these little soundless chambers.  For the longest, I'd get asked if I had ringing in my ears prior to entering one of these,.....no I'd respond, I don't have no ringing.  But, as soon as that door was shut, riiiiiiiiiiiing, but I always thought that's what "silence" sounded like, it wasn't for several years/hearing tests later that one of the administrators asked specifically if I heard ringing in the soundbooth.  Why yes, every time I get in there, but that's what silence sounds like,.....no she says, that's what tinnitus sounds like.........I never knew.

At St. Louis AFEES, draftees were platooned into the hearing test chamber eight at a time.  We each sat on a stool facing the wall with ear muffs and a push button to push when we heard a tone.  Guys were laughing, talking and making noise. It was impossible to hear much.  We all passed.  I think they figured we'd all lose our hearing soon anyway.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
38 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

raced another 25 years w/o earplugs (some of the cars were literally painful inside at certain rpm's)

Something like this?  (although you guys with hearing loss might not even hear this)

John Ranalletta
8 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Something like this?  (although you guys with hearing loss might not even hear this)

We have hearing loss because we heard too much of this...

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
roadscholar

no i can hear the shrill high-pitched whine of that gearbox just fine and it hurts : ) i only had one car with straight cut gears, it was a 700hp 944gtr with a hewland gearbox but was a transaxle so mounted in the back and wasn't all that noticeable.

the painful one was the 9l0, it was super light and the engine was about 8 inches behind the driver separated by just thin fiberglass, but it was the long straight exhaust going out the back that at certain rpms resonated into the cockpit making excruciating pain in your ears. 

Hosstage
47 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

That is crazy loud. Never heard it that bad before.

Hosstage

We had a local band that was great, and loud. Their 2nd set was all Led Zeppelin like it was playing on your home stereo, tight. Loved it, but my ears would ring the whole next day. Worth it.

Didn't wear earplugs much at work when young and dumb, much better now. I even occasionally put them in when seeing local bands tearing it up.

Hosstage

For real ear pain, I've never heard anything like NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Car. Downright crippling. Ear plugs in, covering my ears with my hands, and I still jump every time.

• Plus 1 2
Joe Frickin' Friday
12 hours ago, roadscholar said:

to get a racing license you had to pass a physical every year but in the late 70's to get an fia license for the 24 hours of daytona and l2 hours of sebring it required a more stringent one. went to a special hearing clinic where they isolated you in a glass room and a nurse outside had a dial and asked if you could hear the sound each time she lowered it. i didn't know what the threshold was so just kept saying yes after the last couple times i couldn't hear anything. passed : )

Many years ago at work they did annual hearing checks, but the system was automated, which made cheating pretty much impossible.  You put the headphones on, and the tech pushed the "start" button, and the computer took over  It'd keep beeping and adjusting the volume lower until you stopped pressing the button...then it'd wait a few seconds...and then it would start beeping at a volume that was too low for anyone to hear, and gradually start bringing the volume up until you could hear it.  If you had a good sense of timing, you could maybe cheat the first part (where it was decreasing the volume), but not so much the second part.

Rougarou

For those concerned

image.thumb.png.efbd22ce5e53a9efa5f1b6a9ee5f62d8.png

In my barn, with tractors and some saws, I have ear muffs.  In my garage, two sets of earmuffs, basement garage, more earmuffs.

No tractor, saw, or other loud thing gets turned on without me having these on.  Too many years of losing the hearing so now gotta protect what I have left.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 3
Hosstage
15 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

I just watched this again, what the hell is that guy doing on the track at the start of the race? Actually a few guys scrambling to hop the fence. Damn near get killed when the flag drops.

roadscholar
8 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Many years ago at work they did annual hearing checks, but the system was automated, which made cheating pretty much impossible.

don't know if it's standardized now but that's likely the reason it was automated, because racing drivers (and those whose jobs depended on it) were cheating (bending the rules a little), we had to pass that test no matter what : )

Joe Frickin' Friday
On 1/5/2024 at 8:45 PM, Rougarou said:

image.png.d4b38acad4f43b4d083df6a3c1f2e8a0.png

There are way too many "10mm socket" memes out there to choose just one to post.  So here ya go:

Google-Images search results for "10mm socket memes"

Browse until your eyes are tired (or your sides hurt from laughing), and then come back for more later.

• Smile 1

Riding my bicycle one day and out of the corner of my eye spotted a 10mm on a short extension. At the time I didn't know what a find it was. Shoulda played the lottery that day.

image.png

• Like 1
On 1/8/2024 at 4:32 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Many years ago at work they did annual hearing checks, but the system was automated, which made cheating pretty much impossible.  You put the headphones on, and the tech pushed the "start" button, and the computer took over  It'd keep beeping and adjusting the volume lower until you stopped pressing the button...then it'd wait a few seconds...and then it would start beeping at a volume that was too low for anyone to hear, and gradually start bringing the volume up until you could hear it.  If you had a good sense of timing, you could maybe cheat the first part (where it was decreasing the volume), but not so much the second part.

Uh, cheating who?  :whistle: (sorry, I tried to cheat at the audiologist AND the optometrist tests)

I might resemble that old coot....but he's got great spirit and comes up with some crazy stuff that's fun to watch!

26 minutes ago, BamaJohn said:

I might resemble that old coot....but he's got great spirit and comes up with some crazy stuff that's fun to watch!

I had that guy, well at least a guy with the same grin filling up my mirrors on the Cherohala one time! :revit: :thumbsup:

• Like 1
On 1/7/2024 at 5:30 PM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Judge your entry speed into corners by the pitch of the gears!

Joe Frickin' Friday
15 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

ATTATT

All the thrust, all the time?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I had that guy, well at least a guy with the same grin filling up my mirrors on the Cherohala one time! :revit: :thumbsup:

....and it was a fun day!

• Plus 1 1