IGNORED

Out And About

Rinkydink

Joe Frickin' Friday

These bananas are now two weeks old:

nanners.thumb.jpg.4f9bedf319797163cbe40a9c4b88f2a2.jpg

This picture was taken today, but it's exactly what they looked like when we bought them, including the black areas on them.  They are apparently immortal, as they haven't ripened one bit.  Weird.

32 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

These bananas are now two weeks old:

nanners.thumb.jpg.4f9bedf319797163cbe40a9c4b88f2a2.jpg

This picture was taken today, but it's exactly what they looked like when we bought them, including the black areas on them.  They are apparently immortal, as they haven't ripened one bit.  Weird.

Something went wrong in the “Process “

• Like 1
11 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

And a Milllinnial Anti Theft Device!

Having both my girls first vehicles be sticks, can be a bad thing.

I was playing with some MGBs for a while, and my oldest daughter comes in one day and said the car was "fun to drive",......not knowing that she took it for a spin, I's like, "how'd you know where reverse was", she said, "oh, I figured it out".

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 3/11/2022 at 9:02 PM, roadscholar said:

image.jpeg.65063a1f5ad906db3723dcc5434101d4.jpeg

About 15 years ago, one of our members posted a story of how he was driving his vintage VW bug when the throttle cable broke, somewhere near the pedal.  With the engine being in the back, that meant the cable was routed somewhere beneath the driver's seat to get to the engine.  So he got under the car and threaded the broken end of the cable up through the floorboards somewhere close to his seat and tied it around one end of his L-shaped lug wrench; he then wedged the other end of the lug wrench into some kind of pocket/recess on the floor, and was able to use the lug wrench as a hand-operated throttle to get home.  :cool:

roadscholar

Yep there's a small tunnel down the middle and nearly everything that needs to go to the engine compartment runs through it, shift linkage, heater cables, throttle and clutch cables, etc.

740495.jpg

RandyShields

On that list of accessories the VW Beetle doesn't have, you can add: No Heat. On my early 1970s bug, you needed to engage a lever on the floor to open a vent to let air flow through a heat exchanger to be heated by the exhaust.  It theoretically allowed warmed air to then flow from the engine bay into the cabin when it was cold.  No fan or forced air (or if there was, mine was broken and I didn't have the money to fix it.)  Appeared to be a simple, efficient solution, but it didn't really work.  The colder it was outside, the colder it was inside.  Not a good winter car unless you had lots of layers on.  But it was better than my MGB, where I had to bring blankets along for dates during winter drives.  Lots of cold airflow through that ragtop. . . .

See the source image

• Like 1
roadscholar

Went over Loveland Pass (before there was an Eisenhower Tunnel) in a VW camper, temp at the store on top was 40 below, chill favor 60 below. Painfully cold, no heat whatsoever.

• Like 1

My old CJ Jeep was warmer than the old VWs, but I wouldn't have called it warm.

I remember seeing more than one old VW with accessory fans on the dash to try and keep the windshield clear on the inside.

6 hours ago, Hosstage said:

old VW with accessory fans on the dash

Type 3 & 4 VW's had an available gas heater option that worked very well....... but not many folks bought them as they were shopping for a cheap car. My G-ma had one in her type 3 fastback and it kept the inside toasty, but she also had a/c which made that car slow when it was in use.

Joe Frickin' Friday
12 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

That last bend in the road is about 700 feet from the barrier, and the speed limit there is 30 MPH.   Even assuming he was doing 40, that's a good 10-12 seconds before he hit the barrier with the flashing lights.  Those barriers were already down when he came around the last bend in the road, and there was also an overhead traffic light positioned 100 feet ahead of the barriers - and he apparently didn't see any of that for the entire 12 seconds.   Dude needs some Rain-X.  Or maybe he just needs to open his eyes.

For anyone who doesn't want to sit through CNN's 30-second ads, here's the bare YouTube video:

• Haha 1

That explains how he did not go for a swim. 

Wet bridge grating.  Check

Road surface pitching up.  Check

What could possibly go wrong?