IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

roadscholar

I try to stay away from them for obvious reasons. You’re probably real close, but. The new GT3 starts at 161k but actually getting one for anywhere near that is highly unlikely.

• Thanks 1
John Ranalletta
3 hours ago, roadscholar said:

I try to stay away from them for obvious reasons. You’re probably real close, but. The new GT3 starts at 161k but actually getting one for anywhere near that is highly unlikely.

Unobtainium

image.thumb.png.b8940baa041426acf86e6d2ec6742d8c.png

• Smile 1
roadscholar

I knew it was getting a little crazy but not quite like that, you'd think at some point supply would/will catch up with demand. In the Porsche thread on Adv I read dealers in California are paying Eastern dealers 10k profit for used late model (normal) 911's  because they can get a lot more.

Here's Jay's take on the new one, it's long at 30 min but in the last 5 min or so he expounds on why you should at least drive one sometime (not necessarily a GT3). 

• Like 1
The Rocketman

What's this car worth?

Have to help sell my father-in-law's 1940 Chevy Custom Deluxe. Complete car, but flathead engine and original drive train is long gone, replaced with newer 350, automatic tranny and modern front end. Ran strong a few years back, but non-running now as someone stole the carb and its been sitting outside a while. Have no clue of the value except I see totally renovated ones going $35-40,000. Any car guys/gals know what a project like this is worth?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

roadscholar
1 hour ago, The Rocketman said:

What's this car worth?

I'm no expert on classic American cars but In that shape probably not a whole lot (in comparison to what you'd see a nice one for), the problem is a restoration shop would likely charge way more than it's worth when done. Plus those old rounded behemoths from the 40's are probably the least desirable of any era. Best bet is to throw it up on CL and hope a flipper comes along that can find a home for it, they know what they're doing and will usually have the ability to drag it out of there. I'd probably start around 3-3500. and be prepared to adjust from there, a wheeler dealer won't touch it unless he can talk you down some, it's part of his creed : )

Do a CL search of similar stuff to get an idea for comparison because I could be wrong, although here's one I just came across you can use to extrapolate.

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/d/melbourne-1939-dodge-2dr-59k-original/7315423740.html

Asking $8700. for a fairly original driver.

The Rocketman

Good points and thanks for the insight. A buddy of mine just looked at it and estimated the paint job alone between $12-15,000 not including body work.

roadscholar

And then you've got interior and mechanicals, could get expensive fast. There is an entire cult around patina-ized cars these days but that one might be a little excessive, you never know though : )

• Like 1
The Rocketman

Could be a good "rat rod" project for someone who doesn't care what it looks like, as long as it runs and it's old (kind of like me :classic_unsure: )

roadscholar

Yep that's probably the best use for it, every old car is worth something these days.

realshelby

Yes, the "worth" exceeds the cost of what it takes to make it decent. BUT...that depends on what level you want to take it too. It looks solid and it appears most trim is there. This car has NO value in original condition. The only value is making it a unique driver with modern drivetrain, suspension, steering, brakes. The way to do that is with a donor car and some of the suspension kits available. This is a LOT of work. While you could make it a rat rod, that is only shortcutting the need to paint it properly. 

In other words, if you cannot do all the work yourself the car is going to cost more than it will ever be worth. Hard to swallow, but there are many examples sitting untouched after the money and interest run out. This car has enough room in it to be a viable cruiser. Just need to find someone that has a connection to that model. Take what they offer! I too figure a price in the $3-3500 range to see what happens. 

Yes, paint jobs worth looking at start at over $10,000. I have done "Best Paint" awarded show cars and can tell you I would not think twice to say there is $20,000+ in paint and body work if you want it to look like new. More if you want show quality appearance. I was pricing paint alone for my soon to happen Mustang project. Around $900 for the red paint. Plus the components that go in that, then the primers, sealers..........

While in Maggie Valley for Start , they also had the Nation Rally for Little trucks . I know some didn’t like it, but I thought it was pretty cool. Some very imaginative engineering and top tier paint work

F3A8FFA6-6C13-4488-8AFA-B23797BB5075.jpeg

4BE67765-9D7B-4C67-8C7B-C7BF4D0E7F94.jpeg

E7220B1E-6175-48D0-B506-2B1225B8A130.jpeg

9D03716D-4F91-44A9-887B-3DC52D2AA40B.jpeg

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
4 hours ago, taylor1 said:

While in Maggie Valley for Start , they also had the Nation Rally for Little trucks . I know some didn’t like it, but I thought it was pretty cool. Some very imaginative engineering and top tier paint work

F3A8FFA6-6C13-4488-8AFA-B23797BB5075.jpeg

4BE67765-9D7B-4C67-8C7B-C7BF4D0E7F94.jpeg

E7220B1E-6175-48D0-B506-2B1225B8A130.jpeg

9D03716D-4F91-44A9-887B-3DC52D2AA40B.jpeg

The only thing not to like was the "boom boom" into the evening; otherwise, we spent time talking with some of the owners.  Nice folks really into their "sport".

• Like 1
Patallaire

Here is an interesting WEB site 

Bringatrailer.com

Enjoy it and be careful it might be expensive! 

roadscholar

A little German iron on the way to the beach tonight. 

5E2A164E-A1BE-4E2F-8EDB-355723AC31CD.thumb.jpeg.c4d1447e33478c585e0d2c8282ddacef.jpeg

This was obnoxiously loud from behind plus was driving like a jerk which usually goes hand in hand.

CB5B01EB-A697-46A9-989D-EDCD0C0EE924.thumb.jpeg.0364af89b032cc34fe4e6c99dad01973.jpeg

All’s well that ends well (no Bangle butts here).

27121F80-BF25-47FA-927F-AE69BF5F7BB3.thumb.jpeg.f9a82cc4378a1976aca04739c78eca42.jpeg

• Like 1
roadscholar

Here's something interesting, there's always been a mystique about (the disappearance of) James Deans's crashed Porsche 550 Spyder, this is the first time any part of it has surfaced and been put up for public auction. There have been some great stories of automotive archeology on BaT over the years but this is likely one of the more noteworthy and heck, might stray into Full Throttle territory before it's all over : ) If you get sucked down the rabbit hole of reading the many comments by the peanut gallery look particularly for a guy called 'PorshaboyLee' (Lee Raskin), he's the aknowledged expert and has written several articles and books on the subject. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/gearbox/

4-Speed Transaxle from James Dean's 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder

One of the better comments :

"James Dean was the transaxle of acting. Like the lightweight combination of transmission, differential etc. Dean was cast into one compact delivery system way more efficient than the other lumbering systems before him. He had the power of Brando, the vulnerability of Elvis, and the emotional frailty of every man struggling with his own sense of self, managing masculinity not force, poise not power.

But all that could snap like a half-shaft when the corner was loaded too hard. He didn’t want to be that way, his alloy was just cast that way, forged by the heat of Hollywood and the demands on his unique combination of transferring tremendous power, talent, and ease to the screen.

His fateful drive in the 550, like many accidents in hindsight, was an unfortunate spooling of events with dire consequences. The public treasures his life in part because of his youthful departure, at his prime, doing what he loved, full throttle.

I do hope this is eventually united with the car itself. Like Dean’s life and his brief career, his Porsche 550 deserves to ride again."

• 4 weeks later...

Bill, A 2005 Boxter with 23,000 miles.
Supposedly a very well cared for car.

My neighbor sold it to his nephew and it’s for sale again. Of course the car is now in NJ but that could be overlooked for the right price. Don’t believe it’s an S model if they even had an S in 05. :dontknow: Thanks for any insight you may have on it! :thumbsup: PS..I’m only asking because I heard you have a little experience with these cars. :spittake:

6CAB383D-CA57-4156-B469-D81AD091764E.jpeg

# 2 PS...Hey William, I’m just asking for a friend. :rofl:

roadscholar

No,  not an S but you don't need one, still plenty of fun in standard trim. You can't use all of a modern Porsche on the street anyway. Boxsters are more about top down (spirited) cruising on backroads, few cars offer as pure a driving and aural experience. Couple questions,  5-speed or Tiptronic, any paintwork, if so why; service records, repairs so far, and probably unlikely at 23k but ask if IMS (intermediate shaft) bearing has been replaced. NADA retail says 17k (here) but they're pretty hot right now and don't last long if reasonably priced. Check around for similar cars on the market. And ask about the nephew, how long he's had it, how old, and maybe his driving habits : )   

Obviously these are newer S's with more power but with a little practice that one can do it. 

I like how it makes smiles! :classic_biggrin:

Believe it’s a standard trans, the nephew has had it for about 3 years (and yeah) a big unknown there but the original owner is as anal as anal can get about his vehicles. I should of looked a little closer when he offered it to me originally. $22K he sold it for but my neighbor said the same thing about the strong market right now.

Thanks again for your valued knowledge Bill! :thumbsup:

I’m sure you gave me the answer with the “paintwork” inquiry but I’m not a fan of that color blue. Is it a sin to change paint colors on these cars? :dontknow:

And I know a decent paint job would be well north of 10 grand so It’d never happen anyway but still curious. :)

roadscholar

VERBOTEN!   Ok how about all around bad idea, please don't do it : )  But it sounds like you already knew that, it's much easier to just find one a color you like. The body shell is painted before anything is bolted on, they're that color in the engine compartment, under the carpet, inside the dash, door panels, everywhere. A bodyshop won't or can't duplicate it after the fact and if they try it'll seriously diminish the value of the car. If you're having recurring fantasies please watch the video three times, it's the long version : )

• Thanks 1

Didn’t think about the full body paint but yeah, some bad juju was floating around the room for a few! :eek: Glad you set me straight on that one! :grin:

• Smile 1
roadscholar
14 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I’m sure you gave me the answer with the “paintwork” inquiry 

Actually it’s a way of asking if the car has been in an accident, it’s a term brokers and dealers use because you can prove it. Because some bodyshops are so good a lot of high end dealers use a paint meter to measure the thickness in microns, any repainted panels will show up different than the original and affects the car’s value.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, roadscholar said:

definitely entertaining ... 65 seemed quicker overall and probably would have pulled away if they ever made a pass stick , but 19 drove perfectly in front without "blocking" .  Slick racing surface definitely added to the excitement :cool:

Did 65 ever complete the pass?

roadscholar
9 hours ago, chrisolson said:

definitely entertaining ... 65 seemed quicker overall and probably would have pulled away if they ever made a pass stick , but 19 drove perfectly in front without "blocking" .  Slick racing surface definitely added to the excitement :cool:

Did 65 ever complete the pass?

I don't know if he ever made it stick or not, that's all I saw. But a good demonstration of 2 different driving styles, smooth and deliberate vs ragged edge with great car control and obvious experience in a 911. But that's how you drive them at the limit especially in the wet with skinny tires. I had a 2L SWB car like that I raced for years, it was more fun than the faster stuff because it was more about strategy and momentum, you pretty much just had to keep it planted, commit, and steer your way out.

I was in an enduro once that was similar, a Porsche tuner (and really good driver) was gridded behind me in a well prepped 356 (160hp, 1500lbs), my 66 911S was about 170hp and 2k lbs. We were at Road Atlanta and about halfway back in the pack, at the green I could see a bunch of cars backing up going into 1 on the inside. I took the outside, never lifted (dropped a wheel off), Jack tucked in behind and we passed about 15 cars by turn 3. They gradually passed us back because they were faster but Jack stayed glued to my bumper until the pit stops. I couldn't pull away from him and he couldn't risk a pass for losing the draft. The next day he came over after watching his in-car from the race and said except the left rear in the dirt on the start I didn't make a mistake for 45 minutes. Then he goes, Im almost done building an IMSA 911 and want you to co-drive in the 24 Hours with me, it was my 2nd shot at pro racing, I went sure : ) The following year in vintage/historic we shared each others cars in the enduros and came close to winning the first Rolex endurance championship in his. 

IMG_E0238.JPG

IF3X611F.jpg

Here's a guy at Spa in a 2 liter tail-wagger, this is pretty much how you have to drive them, mash it, hang on and hope for the best, it might look smooth on the outside but this is what it's like inside.  He's doing great until the end when he gets punted by a bozo in the red GT40 lapping the field (for the 2nd time). Long at 20+ minutes but entertaining if you like this kind of stuff, keep in mind these cars are 50-65 years old with the corresponding technology (very little). Vintage racing, it's when the drivers are fat and the tires are skinny : )  

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Ya, but how many scoops of mulch can it haul?

Rougarou, don't worry about a response from those "snooty" Porche enthusiasts! I have your back on the Ken Block stuff. 

That truck is exactly what I need to put some of those pesky Fast and Furious wannabees in their place!

• Haha 1
fourteenfour

Posted this on the youtube videos worth watching, but the Tesla Model S Plaid series is just nuts when it comes to performance, more amazing in that it seat four. this the version set up to runs the Pike's Peak challenge..  the acceleration is just absurd.

The siren is required to alert people along the road

Flying!

Could they use the sound of an old F1 V10 or V12 screaming to 20,000 rpms instead of the siren? My thought is the F1 motor would get way more attention than the siren! Would need a hell of a loudhorn to recreate that scream though.

On 6/20/2021 at 8:49 PM, TEWKS said:

6CAB383D-CA57-4156-B469-D81AD091764E.jpeg

You’re looking at about a $60,000 dollar difference right here. And yeah, that’s not even tacking on an extra penny for the stupid look on my face! :classic_biggrin:
image.thumb.jpeg.4e75f39b6ae477e1656bbf1e9bacaa4f.jpeg

roadscholar

I guess It’s ok to look just don’t go for a test drive, you’ll be ruined for life. It’s why I don’t go near those places : )

• Like 1
Bill_Walker
On 6/22/2021 at 4:26 AM, Rougarou said:

None, given that there's no floor in the bed! 

I wonder if Ken Block can even remember how to go around a corner on a pavement racing line.  That, and whether inhaling tire smoke will kill him before an accident does.  He's amazing, but he sure has a high tolerance for risk.

12 minutes ago, Bill_Walker said:

None, given that there's no floor in the bed! 

I did not see that it did not have a bed when I watched the video........not,.....'twas a joke type post but musta flew over thine head.  Wonder if we can put a hitch on it to pull a trailer of mulch!!

image.thumb.png.20c5412e3fe5dd73655492c56a1f7b06.png

• Haha 1
Bill_Walker
31 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Wonder if we can put a hitch on it to pull a trailer of mulch!!

One can imagine the load of mulch sliding out the back of the trailer, THROUGH the tailgate, at the first application of full throttle!

Hey, maybe we could get Block to do a mulch-spreading video!

9 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

One can imagine the load of mulch sliding out the back of the trailer, THROUGH the tailgate, at the first application of full throttle!

Hey, maybe we could get Block to do a mulch-spreading video!

I'd rather he top dress my lawn with some good compost come the fall,.....methinks there's plenty of room for him to be able to maneuver ;) 

On 6/22/2021 at 6:26 AM, Rougarou said:

Truck for sale

WOW!!!  HE MUST NEED A FORK LIFT TO CARRY AROUND HIS ....(you know)

21 minutes ago, BamaJohn said:

WOW!!!  HE MUST NEED A FORK LIFT TO CARRY AROUND HIS ....(you know)

:dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

image.thumb.jpeg.3274dea0aab0bb4271160a3c431d7b17.jpeg

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

:dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

image.thumb.jpeg.3274dea0aab0bb4271160a3c431d7b17.jpeg

Kinda like some guys that go into burning buildings and think nothing of it eh!?!?

I think the constant training that some see as "ballsy", those that "do" see as "meh, just another day at the office".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, or maybe like the guys that kick in doors when loaded AK’s are trained on that same door from an inside back corner of the room. ;) Take Some Serious Planters right there! :yes: