IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

The part when it dunked the car in solution is hot dip galvanizing, Porsche began using the process in 1975 because the monocoque chassis (like nearly all cars are made now) were prone to rust. To test it they let a bare shell sit outside the factory front doors for about 10 years.

For contrast a shot from 1958/59. (I can tell because those little roadsters, called Conv D were only made one year). 

Porsche-Factory.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

The part when it dunked the car in solution is hot dip galvanizing, Porsche began using the process in 1975 because the monocoque chassis (like nearly all cars are made now) were prone to rust. To test it they let a bare shell sit outside the factory front doors for about 10 years.

You sure that is "hot dip galvanizing"? Automotive paints won't stick on galvanized panels. More likely Cathodic Dip Coating process. Sometimes called "E-Coat".

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 11:46 AM, KTM Doug said:

Just a few :3:

'66 442   Turned in '67 12.83 @ 111 mph

imageproxy.php?img=&key=b613679a0814d9ec

DSC_3443 (Custom).JPG

The summer before I entered my senior year in high school I bought a '68 Olds 442, the first year of the new body style. My first choice at the used car dealer was a '70 AMC Mark Donohue model Javelin. I wanted that car badly but the salesman was an old Air Force buddy of my father and he called my dad before I could get home and convince him I needed the car. The 442 was my evil backup car so it all ended up well. The 442 photo isn't my car but it's the same color and vinyl top mine was, the AMC's color was orange with white accents. 

On 7/29/2019 at 11:46 AM, KTM Doug said:

1968 442.jpg

1969-Mark-Donahue-1.jpg

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Marty Hill said:

Lots of really neat cars.  Thought I'd post a pic of my last plane.

nTGVTy7p1Et05VjU0AJaRKocfUWUL0bjwZLT2euI

YOU were Sky King??? Who woulda thought.....:whistle:

• Like 1

When I was 11 I saw a WW2 fighter buzzing the beach in Miami.  From that day I wanted to fly.  GI Bill paid for the lessons.  :18:

14 hours ago, Marty Hill said:

When I was 11 I saw a WW2 fighter buzzing the beach in Miami.  

Now I'm confused, I thought you told me it was Kitty Hawk, NC. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

kidding ya my friend ;)

Pat you got me.  I did go to Kitty Hawk a couple of years ago where I bought a flight jacket to replace the one I had that was falling apart.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Now I'm confused, I thought you told me it was Kitty Hawk, NC. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

kidding ya my friend ;)

I see what you did there.  Well played.  

• Haha 1
On 10/31/2019 at 11:41 AM, beemerboy said:

YOU were Sky King??? Who woulda thought.....

The photo's a little blurry, but that looks to me like a Twin Comanche.  Everybody knows Sky King flew a Cessna 310. (posted in the spirit of BMWST haircut analysis).

• Like 1

Showing my age here but I seem to recall Sky King flying an earlier Cessna before the 310.  My brother and I were into planes because of an uncle that was a WW2 pilot.

18 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

The photo's a little blurry, but that looks to me like a Twin Comanche.  Everybody knows Sky King flew a Cessna 310. (posted in the spirit of BMWST haircut analysis).

Bill, you are correct.  Twin Comanche.  Kept it for business till I retired. 

11 hours ago, bwpsg42 said:

Showing my age here but I seem to recall Sky King flying an earlier Cessna before the 310.

Wikipedia says he flew a T-50 before the 310, but that was definitely before my time (and I only saw the show in reruns, which ended in 1966.  If they ran them in sequence, that would explain why I don't remember the T-50, because I was only 8 years old in '66).  The T-50 was used in episodes 1-39, and a 310B in episodes 40-72, so there are more episodes with the T-50.

thanks Bill.  I had not thought about checking Wiki.  Seems the T-50 had a wartime history as well.  I've got ten years on you so I guess that's why I recall the "bamboo bomber" as it was called according to wiki.  BTW, I grew up a navy kid in San Diego from age 8 to 17.  Navy housing somewhere, then somewhere in National City, then Lemon Grove.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, bwpsg42 said:

thanks Bill.  I had not thought about checking Wiki.  Seems the T-50 had a wartime history as well.  I've got ten years on you so I guess that's why I recall the "bamboo bomber" as it was called according to wiki.  BTW, I grew up a navy kid in San Diego from age 8 to 17.  Navy housing somewhere, then somewhere in National City, then Lemon Grove.

Geeeez guys, my Sky King comment was meant to be totally tongue-in-cheek and here you aviation geeks go taking all the fun out of it. Regardless, my hat's off to Marty for living a way cool life!

• Like 2

Since some like planes.  I found this USN Piper Cub in Cal. and flew it back to miami where I lived.  I think it was the only one left of the 40 or so that were built for the Navy.  Among my many gas stops I remember one in Texas at a small field.  The guy pumping asked me where I came from and where I was going.  When I told him he told me I was crazy.  Some have wondered why I didn't start riding motorbikes till I turned 59.  That was when I stopped flying.  Oh well, time for my nap.:dopeslap: 

YXb5R8tDDoW-29u4n6LXJ0bMd3fHYPlxUSwO8047

• Like 4
On 11/3/2019 at 11:22 AM, Skywagon said:

He is still cool...his Comanche is about 10mph faster than the T-50

Where are the machine guns? I mean, really, what's the fun of having a flying machine if you have no armament?? 

• 2 weeks later...

Almost an hour's worth but a good explanation/demonstration of the new C8 with the head engineer (who's pretty interesting) and Jay.

• Like 2

Nice Vette but check out this babe! ;) A 2007 RAV4 with 237,000 miles, runs great BTW. My neighbor sold it to me for $500 bucks. Didn’t need it but had to take the chance for that amount. :dontknow:

AD1CBC04-B6F8-4797-8C81-C738F6BD90B4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Stopped by to see an old buddy today, we did a little bench racing then he took me back in the whse to see a Firehawk Firebird race car he bought on BaT and a beautiful '63 Riviera, both cool but I didn't get any photos.

Although I did get one of the 71 911 he bought new and ran in the Cannonball not long afterwards. There was another car parked in front of it that he’d let me drive once when we went to lunch about 15 years ago. Since then he added a couple hundred horsepower to it so I was thinking we need to go to lunch again one of these days preferably somewhere near Gainesville or Daytona : )

77FA773F-3CA9-4C13-9E56-7945BD09C2E7.thumb.jpeg.cf8f2713df27df0ae7bbbf9886a33f1e.jpeg

6DEF04D0-2736-4AE8-9246-7FFFDD30721B.thumb.jpeg.1e76e7b3ae5aae696331692b8a3a913d.jpeg

• Like 5
On 12/26/2019 at 8:05 PM, lawnchairboy said:

Someone posted that in the Porsche Thread on Adv last week, as I mentioned Tom's a good dude I've known him a long time. He's considered an expert on Ford's more specifically Cobras and has written several books but should leave the German stuff to someone else, he knows just enough to be dangerous : ) 

Tom wanted to do an episode of it when the Haggarty film crew was down here a couple years ago but I didn’t want the notoriety. He was disappointed, but you, anytime : )

2 hours ago, KTM Doug said:

I know someone on the east coast that I would like to take a stroll thru his warehouse :clap: 

I know somebody else who wants that tour also..

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

A realshelby barn find! ;)

He is one of the forum members, right?  I did not read that he got lost in a barn.  Glad he was found.

Speaking of Mustangs, guess what is up for bid (no reserve?)

LINKY

10 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

He is one of the forum members, right? 

Yes, realshelby is a member here with a real Shelby. This vid is not him though. That McQueen Machine ain't gonna be cheap!! :money:

I'm gonna run with the McQueen theme a little. Last week I came across a DVD a buddy made of Rennsport Reunion II, a big gathering at Daytona in 2004 for Porsche race cars and rare street cars. My 908 had just undergone a four year ground up restoration and was delivered there the night before from upstate NY, it was the first time I'd seen it in one piece. There wasn't time to put decals and numbers on it but I was ok with it because that's how all Porsche race cars start life before turning a wheel (since 1966), in plain white. Before 1964 they were always silver.

That's Porsche number 1 in the background.

image.thumb.png.b5b04055f18ff3e70d96695c37dfb7ba.png

While we were waiting this dude walks up and says hey guys my name's Chad McQueen, my dad had one of those and raced it at Sebring. Of course we knew that and that he'd finished 2nd driving with his leg in a cast from a dirt bike accident : ) Anyway it was nice talking with him, you could tell he had Steve's enthusiasm for fast and cool cars. 

image.thumb.png.9238f143b11f4c4e36a873499576c9b0.png

image.thumb.png.ea03e0b7f5a02f89b1e5863be149db5c.png

And a gratuitous shot of me leading a couple 910's out of the horse shoe, adios fellas : ) 

image.thumb.png.fde9e15dcbca6f65783ce2184f54bbe5.png

• Like 6
11 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Yes, realshelby is a member here with a real Shelby. This vid is not him though. That McQueen Machine ain't gonna be cheap!! :money:

WOW! That video sure brought back memories! So many similarities. I first found my 1969 Shelby Cobra GT 500 #214 in Logan, WV in 1994. After a tip about some kind of a Mustang Cobra or something like that, the guy said. Took me two years to get the guy to sell it to me. He needed money to buy a house, and that finally made the decision. 

1: My Shelby had 38,892 miles showing on the odometer. This 1967 had 40,000. Both original mileage.

2: Not the same color of green, but both lighter green.

3: Both looked rough, but like the appraiser I don't look at paint. My car actually had less body rust showing, but had more surface rust underneath and more body damage. 

4: Both interiors cleaned up. My car still has the original carpet, seats, dash, headliner, door panels, etc. 

5: Both cars engines had issues. My Cobra Jet block had 7 holes in it where there should be none.....

6: My Shelby was parked in 1972 after the engine blew up, this one was parked around 1974. My car dropped the #2 cylinder, rod bearing seized. Funny thing, it had been in the shop in 1969 for a #2 rod bearing repair when under warranty. Something was wrong with either the rod or crank on that cylinder......

This car is a later build 67, the outboard high beams tell us that. My car was a very early build. #214 out of 3500. They talked about the replacement 427 in this one. Still had the correct 428 heads on it. That means the 427 still didn't run very well as the heads were the reason the 427 engines made MUCH more power than the Police Interceptors did. My car has the 428 Cobra Jet, which was equipped with what amounted to 427 heads from the factory. This is why the Cobra Jet became somewhat of a legend. The 427 short block is VERY desirable and since it was already documented there is no way I would not use it when restored. I would add 427 or aftermarket heads however. ( I own a spare 428 Police Interceptor block, I bet he would pay dearly for that!).

Steve McQueens Bullitt was a 1968 Mustang. I don't think McQueen owned a Shelby Mustang, not positive. He did own a GT 40. 

• Like 2

Well, this is getting weird. This is just too much of a coincidence! Looking at the video again, pay attention to the black t-shirt the buyer of the Shelby is wearing.

Creative WERKS Inc. 

I own and operate WERKS Parts LLC.

I may try to contact this guy. I am sure he would appreciate the similarities too!

Screenshot (6).png

• Like 1

I am not a car guy, but my son Ryan has turned into one.  He has built a Subaru drag car.  so far 9.71 standing quarter mile time.  He is looking for 9.3 this next season.  considering it is a 2.5 liter 4 cyclinder engine, running at HIGH altitude in Colorado, that is pretty fast.   Sorry I do not have pictures, but you can go to facebook,  "funkebuilt LLC" and see the run and the time ticket.  Pretty cool run, I think the are going against a 700hp Hellcat and his car wins by 1/8 mile :-)

this is the off season so he is removing 300lbs from the car, and adding upgraded slicks on different rims.  With all of that they are confident that 9.3 - 949 will be achieved.  

I live vicariously through him :-)

• 2 weeks later...

This little guy made its way in my driveway last week. C32, supercharged 350hp, 0-60 4.5s, no badging, a real sleeper. One magazine article I read said if it wasn’t speed limited to 155 would likely run over 190. Found that hard to fathom,  it is a little rocketship though.

9EC72C98-F9EA-4E75-9980-19895292D2CC.thumb.jpeg.c5ee9b7a7b9895bf9650588bf3261305.jpeg

Cleaned up the wagon and drove out to Molly’s for the Super Bowl party tonight ( she, I, and the dog : ) Great car, I’ve had it about 10 years, think we might take an extended road trip in it this Spring.

80AC49F7-D6F4-43B2-B163-1EE053B5D432.thumb.jpeg.a11e37f6e51d3d07f7b7044f77a759f7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I finally got to watch Ford V Ferrari (Bill approved) ;) and it was very good. The Ken Miles portion of the story was kind of sad. Seems the poor guy got kicked in the nuts at every turn (so to speak).  :dontknow:

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

I finally got to watch Ford V Ferrari (Bill approved) ;) and it was very good. The Ken Miles portion of the story was kind of sad. Seems the poor guy got kicked in the nuts at every turn (so to speak).  :dontknow:

The only thing I know about Ken Miles is what I saw in the movie.  Looks to me like he spread his legs and dared people to kick away.  There's often a price to pay when one acts like a jerk.