IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

roadscholar

There've been a number of rear engine automobiles over the past 135 years but due to a variety of reasons they're all gone, except one. And it took a few twists of good fortune and some not insignificant engineering to keep it alive. But mostly it survived because it only had one mission and never deviated, pure driving pleasure.

• Like 3

Mike, I bet 430 is a real kick in the pants when you press on that loud pedal! :grin: Nice! :thumbsup: I had an 87 with 220hp and that was a kick, or so I thought. :dontknow:

Now, someday in the future, I need to check this box. ;) Bill, your thoughts between the rear engine 911 Vs the Mid engine Cayman S would be great to hear. :thumbsup: Thinking my budget is going to be in the 30K range. Obviously buying used.

Edit..the older Six Vs the newer Turbocharged Four cylinder...:java:

24baf57a52727138f987c2d555fd7cae.jpg

• Like 1
roadscholar
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Now, someday in the future, I need to check this box. ;) Bill, your thoughts between the rear engine 911 Vs the Mid engine Cayman S would be great to hear. :thumbsup: Thinking my budget is going to be in the 30K range. Obviously buying used.

Edit..the older Six Vs the newer Turbocharged Four cylinder...:java:

24baf57a52727138f987c2d555fd7cae.jpg

Tough one Pat, it's sort of like there are GS people and RT people and we know how that worked out for you : ) If you have to choose I'd say go drive a few of each when the time comes. Honestly I have zero seat time in the newer stuff, still have the 996 Cab and a couple 986 Boxsters and am content for now, but it's the kind of thing only you can decide. I did drive a Cayman when they first came out, it was nice but didn't blow me away, although there are previous 911 owners that say it's the most fun car they've had. As far as 4 vs 6 cyl I personally would go with the 6 just for the sound alone inside the car, and may have seen somewhere they're going back to the six but I'd check on that.

When push comes to shove though I'm probably in Marty's camp, there are no half measures with the 911 it's full tilt boogie (or serene as an E class Benz if you want it to be) and likely an easier sell because it can double as family weekend entertainment : )    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
roadscholar
5 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

We bought this thing back in the spring. Good ol  'merican muscle 430HP on regular.

20190701_181951.jpg

4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Mike, I bet 430 is a real kick in the pants when you press on that loud pedal! :grin: Nice! :thumbsup: I had an 87 with 220hp and that was a kick, or so I thought. :dontknow:

I had one of these in the 60's, Comet Cyclone GT same color combo, 390 with 335hp (3600lbs) fun car but it wouldn't outrun a tri-power GTO, GT350, or 427 Corvette for that matter. It tried though : )

AUT_22_RK2581_01_P.JPG

• Like 2
roadscholar

Sweet, knock-offs and side pipes, quite desirable these days. I had a '65 too, sold the Comet after a year and bought this for same money (drove it from Daytona to Cape Cod with the top down : ) Sold after 8 or 9 months and got a '63 Super 90, never looked back.

See the source image

1963-porsche-356-carrera-2-coupe

• Like 5
RandyShields

In HS, I stored my 1969 Honda 450 at an older friend's house since I wasn't allowed to have a motorcycle.  He rebuilt a crashed AC Cobra.  Most fun car I ever rode in, even thought I didn't own it.  Went to a Cobra rally with him where there were dozens of these beauties.  Way fun to ride in!  Had 8 Webber carbs and side pipes.  Can't afford one now!  A true American sports car.  Turns my head every time I see one on the road.

ae25c54d35783a48b5505fe6cea556db.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Whip said:

My second favorite car I owned

1994 SS Impala 

2ED9C8B7-C9E4-4984-B406-7F1E973262D2.jpeg

DyAnne and I test drove one just like that.  When she pulled on to the freeway the salesman said "give it a little gas" and I thought buddy you are going to wish you hadn't said that.  She ran it right up to 130...Ended up buying a Silverado but that SS was a hoot.

• Like 2

My car history below. BTW, none of these pics were my actual cars but the colors are all correct. Gotta love the net! :grin:

70 Monte Carlo.

Car-101150848-efd0b362ff4defbaac57f9b9f6

72 Dart slant 6 AKA the tank. Think this was the beginning of a thing called Adventure Cruising. :grin:

original-72-dodge-dart-swinger-survivor-

First brand new car was a 1984 Monte Carlo SS. Should of kept that one.

1984-monte-carlo-ss-blue-exterior-blue-i

1986 Mustang GT.

AwesomeAmazingGreat-1986-Ford-Mustang-GT

Last car before Trucks became cool. An 87 GT. 

fox_1988_mustanggt_mecum_101.ashx?modifi

• Like 2
roadscholar
5 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Sorry but somebody wasted a lot of time and money trying to make that poor little car into something it isn't and got it all wrong (color, wheels, interior, and who knows what else). And then to put it out there for 2 or 3 times what a nice original can be had for is really ludicrous. Anyone looking to spend 5 figures on a nice 912 would run from that, it might fly on the Vegas strip or Barrett-Jackson but nowhere else I can think of : )

912's were made the first 4 years of 911 production in the US, '66-'69 and were a less expensive no frills alternative with the pushrod 4 cylinder from the 356. In recent years with 356 values skyrocketing they're gaining traction as a collectible because of their simplicity and fun to drive factor (lighter, better balance, easier to toss around than early 911's).

A knowledgeable guy in the Porsche thread on Adv just picked up this one, it's more what collectors are looking for.

fullsizeoutput_dae.jpeg

• Like 1
roadscholar

About time you showed up, good stuff.. Hey that last one is a real sweetheart, had a white E30 coupe for awhile. Wish I hadn't sold it, some think it's the best Bimmer ever. The SS Camaro ain't too shabby either : )

Camaro was not an SS. It was a Z-28 with the 302.  Had the 325e for about 5 years of commuting.  Nice little car. Had a 318i a couple years before that.  We drove it to Texas in '83 for a 3 week tour.  The MBZ was the wife's 50th birthday present.  The Cobra Mustang of it's era was a dog. Only 240hp as I remember. Also horrible ride from the rear solid axle on this car. Did not have it long.

roadscholar
56 minutes ago, KTM Doug said:

Camaro was not an SS. It was a Z-28 with the 302.  Had the 325e for about 5 years of commuting.  Nice little car. Had a 318i a couple years before that.  We drove it to Texas in '83 for a 3 week tour.  The MBZ was the wife's 50th birthday present.  The Cobra Mustang of it's era was a dog. Only 240hp as I remember. Also horrible ride from the rear solid axle on this car. Did not have it long.

It looked kind of special although I'm no muscle car expert. Love the Rally wheels on it and Tewks Monte Carlo, understated but effective at getting the point across. 

• Like 2
RandyShields

Another one of my favs I owned

1981 Scirocco S

Had a roommate that had two of these in succession in DC.  Not a very good looking car but, man, was it fun to drive and could it go!  Fast and very nimble.  Held the road very tightly.  I know he really missed those when he sold them. We would occasionally swap, with me driving his VW and him driving my British Racing Green MGB.  Both fun in their own way.  His was a bit more mechanically reliable. . . .

Randy

roadscholar
13 hours ago, Whip said:

1981 Scirocco S

Mars Red

3F6D1F1F-1C78-4F28-9AA6-509C1BB4A71A.jpeg

The modern day version.

roadscholar
2 hours ago, Whip said:

What is it?

A short lived coupe version of the 2nd gen C class (02-04?) that was aimed at younger buyers. A chopped off sedan with a hatchback kind of like the Scirocco or BMW 318ti. Most had a 2.3L supercharged 4 but a few had the 3.2L V6 that nearly transforms it into a GT car, at minimum a decent sleeper. Surprisingly good handling, brakes, and power (with the 6). Here's a video some guy made, not terribly exciting but 160mph is 160mph : ) (258kmh)

I loved the gear box and handling.

The seats were Ricaro knock offs that were great for cornering the way they held me in place.

roadscholar

Definitely fun to drive cars, the Merc stayed with that formula but a modern upgraded version. The styling included glass below the rear spoiler like the 2nd gen Scirocco, odd but the only cars I can think of with it.

Volkswagen%20Scirocco%20Mk2%20(2).jpg   

Mercedes-Benz-C320_Sport_Coupe-2004-1600-12.jpg

BTW the first generation Scirocco was designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro, who also drew up some beautiful Alfas, Maserati's, and the BMW M1.

1978-bmw-m1-1325190-6048278.jpg 

On 7/31/2019 at 10:04 AM, Whip said:

1981 Scirocco S

Mars Red

3F6D1F1F-1C78-4F28-9AA6-509C1BB4A71A.jpeg

I had one of those in metallic blue......mine was a 1978 with only 42k on the clock but was already 18 yrs old and rusty ( the car, not me!!) - got it for a bargain price and sold it on 18 months later for the same as I paid for it.  Utterly reliable but somewhat thirsty.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone saw this when it happened but it was pretty bizarre. The 2nd video is fairly recent and gives a good description of how and why.

• 1 month later...

Now here is a rear engine car...My first car.  I was 16 years old.  I had it exactly 4 days before I wrecked it.  The ink wasn't dry on my license and it took a while before my dads boot print wore off my backside.  Not the actual one but very close.  Right color, but I had chrome reverse and no fuzzy dice.

Image result for 1962 4 door corvair images

This was car number 2.  That SS 396 factory 4 speed was a true early muscle car...

Image result for 1966 chevrolet impala SS 96

whoops....actually this was my first ride.  4 wheel drive all weather.

Image result for paint horse image

• Like 1
On 7/31/2019 at 7:22 PM, roadscholar said:

The styling included glass below the rear spoiler like the 2nd gen Scirocco, odd but the only cars I can think of with it.

really? You must not get stuck behind as many of these as I do. 
2016_toyota_prius_rear_lt_82216_717.jpg

They’ve had that since the beginning (well, not that weird pseudo sendan thing), and there are at least a handful of other Asian hatchback ev/hybrids that have used that bit as well. 

2 hours ago, szurszewski said:

really? You must not get stuck behind as many of these as I do. 
2016_toyota_prius_rear_lt_82216_717.jpg

They’ve had that since the beginning (well, not that weird pseudo sendan thing), and there are at least a handful of other Asian hatchback ev/hybrids that have used that bit as well. 

I don't pay attention to Asian cars, for the most part they're either butt ugly or plagiarized something European badly, and still are.   

Yes I did.  Sadly I sold it to my then girl friend.  Without telling me she traded it for a new mercedes sedan.  I never took a pic of it.  Do I wish I had kept it?  Yes.  Mine was black.

• Like 1
On 8/9/2019 at 10:54 AM, Marty Hill said:

4 doors, I can't get used to the idea.  PS, I'm sure I'm wrong.

Not sure how many doors this one will have but it will REALLY fly:18:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Marty Hill said:

You buy, I'll fly!:18:

Too rich for my blood.

I’ll have to wait for the Hyundai/Cracker Jacks collaboration:P

John Ranalletta

Very cool.  Had two thoughts watching.  The robots brushing the body pre-paint...could be adapted for car washes.  The most popular car washes around here take up lots of real estate because the process steps are in-line.  What the car was stationary and the robot changed tools to wash/dry?

The paint line reminded of our Subaru factory tour.  The young lady who was our guide worked in the paint section said employees selected to work in paint were given a list of prohibited and permitted soaps, cosmetics and hair care items as some compounds were proven to flake or dust off getting on the unpainted surfaces and ruining the paint jobs leading to re-work.

• Like 2