IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

True. ^ Sometimes confidence can come off as cockiness if applied wrong. Maybe that was his weakness? :dontknow:

• 1 month later...
Warren Dean
On 5/7/2019 at 3:22 AM, Whip said:

Yup...Fuel injected LT1 with a 6 speed auto. 411 gears. 15 years of throwing money at it.

A sleeper for sure. Nice!!

roadscholar

Not a bad assessment other than the short dude probably doesn't know a lot about Porsche's because he didn't realize the color match console he complained about is an option, normally it would be covered in leather. Also the flat seats he didn't like are the standard ones, sport seats are optional which are more like a racing seat but he'd of probably complained they were uncomfortable and hard to get in and out of.. plus there was a Lexus in his garage, says a lot about a supposed car guy : ) I was impressed though the tall guy understood mechanical grip..

Here's a couple other takes on the car, the first one is pretty funny : )

https://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-996-turbo-is-the-best-porsche-911-you-ca-1665776219

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/porsche-996-turbo-the-budget-959/  

• 2 weeks later...
roadscholar

Bill Walker's post in the Roundabout thread about cutting straight across one in Paris at the Arc de Triomphe reminded me of this old film. I've watched it a couple times, the first close to 40 years ago. Surely others have too but maybe some that also haven't. If not I'd advise watching it first before reading the link below. It's what a 1967 Ferrari 275GTB4 sounds like from the cockpit (12 cylinders, 4 cams, w/6 2bbl Weber carbs). It was filmed in 1976 and warning, if you're squeamish about high speeds in close quarters, risk averse, or just don't like watching someone blatantly and repeatedly breaking the law you may want to pass.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/archived/the-legend-of-cetait-un-rendez-vous/

realshelby

I still have the first decent car I owned. 65 GT Mustang. I also have been fortunate enough to be the steward for a 1969 Shelby  Cobra GT 500. #214, one of 4 built in that option package. 

Recently another Shelby was added! 2017  GT 350. If you think a Mustang isn't a BMW or Porsche on a road course, just search YouTube for GT 350. These have a naturally aspirated 5.2 liter V8 making 526 HP out of the showroom. Redline is 8,250 rpm. Only available in manual transmission. A complete package. I am very glad to have a "Father and Son" pair of Shelby's!

DSCF1260.JPG

DSCF1261.JPG

• Like 2
15 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Yep, the Camaro is running a 6.2 liter engine with a supercharger. 125 more horsepower. And rides so rough it isn't going to be a daily driver. But is did turn a lap time faster than the 2016 R model GT 350 with a 5.2 liter engine and no supercharger. 

On 6/6/2020 at 2:56 PM, realshelby said:

Recently another Shelby was added! 2017  GT 350.

GT 350s ROCK!  A friend has a 2019 GT 350 and let me take it for a spin around the block. Absolutely awesome! 

His is grey with a black strip, meh...  Like your red one better but I am partial to red.  Ive got the little brother from the same year.

Mustang.jpg

• Like 2
roadscholar
2 hours ago, realshelby said:

Yep, the Camaro is running a 6.2 liter engine with a supercharger. 125 more horsepower. And rides so rough it isn't going to be a daily driver. But is did turn a lap time faster than the 2016 R model GT 350 with a 5.2 liter engine and no supercharger. 

Where's that little violin playing emoji when you need him : )

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MikeB60 said:

GT 350s ROCK!  A friend has a 2019 GT 350 and let me take it for a spin around the block. Absolutely awesome! 

His is grey with a black strip, meh...  Like your red one better but I am partial to red.  Ive got the little brother from the same year.

Mustang.jpg

I seen that in one of your other posts! Beautiful! That red has to have some black to tone it down. The black wheels and other items do the trick. I have a 65 GT in Rangoon Red ( for now...), we had the first Mach 1 in Houston in 2003. Red of course. Red Jaguar F-Type. So red is good for us! 

The GT 350 is surprisingly easy and comfortable to drive. It could easily be a daily driver. It gets 22 mpg on the highway and 20 around here. Ride is ok, not real compliant but not back breaking like some other competitors. There is more to any car than just how fast it accelerates, or stops, or turns. This thing has a soul that you only get in a perfect combination. 

That is why Mustangs have been around way over 50 years. Camaro's....not so much. Rumors are that they may go away again. Just cannot compete in sales to the Mustang...and after all that is what it is all about for the manufacturers. 

• Like 1
roadscholar

Sadly, I just learned that Hans Mezger died. He designed the 911 engine along with many other Porsche racing engines including 1962 1.5L flat eight F1 motor, the Porsche Indy engine, and the  F1 engine that McLaren won the world championship with in 1984.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/porsche-engineer-hans-mezger-obituary-1929-2020/

Here he is at Daytona in 2004 signing the inner fender of my 908 (1 of 6 short tail coupes), I got to chat with him awhile, very nice and humble man.

image.thumb.png.bb246861b0450b9a63acfd9451b58451.png 

image.thumb.png.dc81f1d9f4ba367bdcdaeabf8522fc45.png

image.thumb.png.04ad8de9a60114268385702c7f5676b0.png

and Rod Emory running the motor on his dyno.

• Like 2

That's too bad about Hans, but I really had to comment on that wicked sounding engine! :) Wow, I can slightly understand how it could suck you in, completely. Wrong controls :revit: but YKWIM. :grin:

• Like 1
roadscholar

I can see how the Brits won the war (with some help). Persistence and determination : )

• Like 1
RandyShields
1 hour ago, Hotrod said:

Wifey with our 997.2 GT3, both are aging very well.... 

I would say so.  But with a board name like Hotrod, we wouldn't expect anything less.:)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a guess here, I think you’ll be seeing a bunch of these running around next summer.

The new 2021 Bronco. 

ford-bronco-family-2021-1.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.c91919f1293c7ff33213a1cbd4d462f7.jpeg

I’m intrigued, but they come with a half an engine now. I’m not yet able to wrap my head around the high performing 4 cylinder motor. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jake said:

but they come with a half an engine now

Or 3/4  of one ...:grin:

You can get a twin-turbocharged 2.7L EcoBoost V6 producing 325 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque which is close to one of the milder turned Ford Coyote 5.0L V8 !!

roadscholar

I’ve seen some pretty bizarre stuff in the automotive world but this has to rank right up there. :grin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

When your $500.00 dollar Rav 4 “find”needs a $400.00 dollar alternator! :dopeslap:Hey, any luck out there with the remanufactured units? Half the cost. :dontknow: 

6C60A5B4-BFAC-4718-8DDD-2328A4AFFEC7.jpeg

If you are changing it yourself and it doesn't require major surgery, then I would go with a box store lifetime warranty reman. You may have to replace it in the future but it won't cost anything. 

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, it was a royal PITA to get out but now that it’s been done once, maybe not so bad if I had to do it again. Just didn’t know if the remans were complete junk. The parts guy said all they reuse is the casing. 

• Like 1

Yeah, is the daughter learning "how to" on alternator R/R?  Maybe a wethead video afterwards to show how easy it  can be.  :5150:

It sure doesn’t, Doug! :) She said she’d be willing to settle for a Tesla now! :rofl: Luckily, my son isn’t a car snob and I figured he could take it if his car he has now STB before he becomes fully employed enough to buy something newer. :dontknow:

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Yeah, is the daughter learning "how to" on alternator R/R?  Maybe a wethead video afterwards to show how easy it  can be.  :5150:

Oh no, if I can’t a least get a glimpse of the problem, I’m not going in! :D

• Haha 1

So cool in fact, I had to watch that again. :thumbsup: Now, this came to mind while doing so....the driver is extremely confident but appears to be just a "regular guy" not one of those crazy race car drivers. ;) Can that car give even the "average driver" similarly impressive abilities on a track like that, or is there more to his driving history? :dontknow: Obviously understanding a certain bit of type A personality is involved no mater what.

roadscholar

Some of both. The car has few vices and with some practice and training the avg joe can begin to explore its limits. Pretty sure that one has been tweaked some tho, at least with the suspension.  

But the guy is obviously good too and has had lots of track time especially there, he’s real smooth and has that track memorized, probably the worlds longest road course at 14 miles. The car he’s chasing is way faster so it goes to show  that a little experience can make a pretty big difference. He’s at about 8/10 with his daughter in the car, I believe the other car had a passenger too.

I came across another video of him just talking about car stuff, will look for it later,. I think his company is Apex, might search around a little for that.

• Like 1
roadscholar

Here he is Pat, his company Apex is a taxi service at Nurburgring (not your average taxi cabs :) ) I guessed right, he's got a few laps around there, heck his 4 YO daughter has over 250 laps on it and probably has all the turns memorized by now : ) He'd likely be the guy I'd go see if I were ever in the neighborhood. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/RobertMitchell/about 

• Thanks 1
roadscholar

Here's Robert in a faster car (Mclaren Senna) discussing some factors involved with brake set-up, a quick car comparison,  and a vintage E36 project he's working on emphasizing less weight and balance is better than more power on most road courses.

• Like 1
roadscholar

In this session Robert and his excited buddy actually wear helmets, and speaking of vices unlike the Cayman this car has a couple.The first 8 or 9 minutes are talking about the car then he goes out and proves that putting down 700hp in a rear engine car takes some practice and finesse.

• Like 1

Mr. Robert Mitchell is all business when the helmet goes on! :grin: What a difference between those two cars! :burnout:

Funny I’ll have to point my buddy to his channel, same name, same (ok similar) Cayman, same daughter. (just older) :grin:

• Like 1