IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

A 1976 flashback happened yesterday. Now back when we were kids my father's pickup bed or dump truck body was the way to travel. I'm talking back roads to interstates, didn't matter.

This is a fire truck birthday or any occasion business that this guy (ff) started years ago. He happened to see us out checking over our truck so he swung in. Cool for the kids but man, this day & age, the liability he's taking on is huge IMO. He's got balls or no brains, I'm not sure. Or, maybe we've just become so frightened of being sued it seemed outrageous. I actually applaud him! :thumbsup:

image.jpeg

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

We've got two firefighters as neighbors.  Their wives organize an annual block party.  A local engine shows up and the crew lets the kids aboard.  How did we ever survive riding our bicycles w/o helmets, no car seats or sun screen?

I was talking to a group of our younger employees describing what it was like to grow up in the dark ages.  I said I remembered my Mom yelling out as I left the house one summer day, "Don't go over to Ronnie's house, he's got polio."  Of course, we all had to go see."

polionotice.jpg 

• Like 3
roadscholar
13 hours ago, RightSpin said:

Speaking of shiny metal objects, this is my '65 Pontiac LeMans which is getting ready to move on to another enthusiast.  The three-digit flat six has been tugging at my heartstrings lately...IMG_20190416_105249.thumb.jpg.87de63f7c2b7ec5de785408d787e2a40.jpg

We don't need no stinking GTO : ) That's a beauty Steve, love the burgundy. On that three digit are you thinking air-cooled or wasser-boxer?

As far as dumb kid stuff, we used to ride our bikes behind the mosquito truck to 'get in the fog', it was some concoction of kerosene or diesel fuel and probably a few other healthy chemicals.

20 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

As far as dumb kid stuff, we used to ride our bikes right behind the mosquito truck to 'get in the fog', it was some concoction of kerosene or diesel fuel and probably a few other healthy chemicals.

Ah ha ha, we did that too! It was so thick you were riding IFR through the neighborhood! :D

• Like 3
steve.foote
21 hours ago, roadscholar said:

We don't need no stinking GTO : ) That's a beauty Steve, love the burgundy. On that three digit are you thinking air-cooled or wasser-boxer?

As far as dumb kid stuff, we used to ride our bikes behind the mosquito truck to 'get in the fog', it was some concoction of kerosene or diesel fuel and probably a few other healthy chemicals.

Yeah, I kind of dig the LeMans.  In 65 all of the GTO's were LeMans.  In fact, more of them left the factory with the GTO option than not.  Add in to that the trend to "clone" remaining LeMans into GTO's and there aren't a lot of honest LeMans left.  It's been fun.  Here's the Youtube video I put together for the ad:

As for 911's, I'm gravitating towards a 996 or 997 since they're the best value right now for a gateway drug into the Teutonic world of opposed cylinders.  I really want a C2S so I can learn how to properly tame the rear wheel drive monster.

Aaannnnnd, finally, back when we used buckskin rubbers, we used to run around through the DDT bug foggers, too.  My dad used to always caution me to be careful, "because you could get run over by a car."  LOL

• Like 4
59 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Sinful or just combining two passions? :dontknow:

It's just a car with a tent on top, no different than a Jeep with a tent on top or a pickup with a tent in the bed  :18:

• Like 1
roadscholar

Sad news of Niki Lauda's passing, one of the great ones. If you've never seen Ron Howard's "Rush" watch it, best car racing movie ever. To tie into Pat's post above 911's have been used for other purposes besides pure driving enjoyment, namely police cars and the specially outfitted one that saved Niki's life after his crash at Nürburgring.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48345660

https://petrolicious.com/articles/vintage-friday-the-fire-engine-porsche-911-that-saved-niki-laudas-life  

Who needs a GTO?  Surely you jest...’back in the day’ the GTO’s were the envy of those who looped the favorite spots every Friday and Saturday night. Could be pretty potent at the stoplight gran prix until RPM limited them. But grant you the LeMans was a neat car, even with the more common 326 motor. 

Saw that about Lauda, was fortunate enough to see him race in Belgium, one of the greats.  Formula 1 does absolutely nothing for me anymore,  ho hum. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Living the Dream said:

It's just a car with a tent on top, no different than a Jeep with a tent on top or a pickup with a tent in the bed  :18:

Yeah, I'm fully onboard with the Jeep/Tent thing but the Porsche/Tent thing had me totally confused. :classic_wacko: Now to convert the same type of confusion I was feeling onto a two wheeled platform, I present this.

Hey, that actually might be pretty darn cool! :grin:

123090d1488460275-gs-tires-2014-r1200rt-  

7 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Yeah, I'm fully onboard with the Jeep/Tent thing but the Porsche/Tent thing had me totally confused. :classic_wacko: Now to convert the same type of confusion I was feeling onto a two wheeled platform, I present this.

Hey, that actually might be pretty darn cool! :grin:

Better yet,!!!

image.png

• Like 1
10 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Yeah, I'm fully onboard with the Jeep/Tent thing but the Porsche/Tent thing had me totally confused. :classic_wacko:

It's just a mode of transport albeit funner than a station wagon, but mode of transport nonetheless

image.thumb.png.1cf57b8f4fbf10ff156e0bed7ae8f59f.png

For some reason, the video I linked seems to have died, but here's a screen cap

image.thumb.png.6646dc27c670fd2484a9ddf6fbb5be25.png

image.thumb.png.b3465528251dbe113a569c08507ac884.png

It's just a mode of transport

Now, show me one with a 50 CAL mounted and I'll believe ya! :grin: 

I could kiss arse for the next five years and I'd never get the Chief to agree to it...:rofl:

ONS-Staffel-911-2-1000x667.jpg

4 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Now, show me one with a 50 CAL mounted and I'll believe ya! :grin: 

Don't know about the .50, but certainly, the Austrian police have some sort of weapons in the car.

image.thumb.png.b921b0d7099d6aacb69c310acb2fdc0e.png

image.thumb.png.0874a1db6700f0d5de86323b8d49c8d1.png

lawnchairboy

I can testify to the LeMans "ooooomf".

I was visiting and my brother called me on my phone while I was a front seat passenger, for some reason, I couldn't hear my brother on the phone due to a mysterious cloud of tire smoke and shrieking. 

That is one beautiful Pontiac, But I am partial to the old Pontiacs myself. 

• Like 2
steve.foote
21 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

I can testify to the LeMans "ooooomf".

I was visiting and my brother called me on my phone while I was a front seat passenger, for some reason, I couldn't hear my brother on the phone due to a mysterious cloud of tire smoke and shrieking. 

That is one beautiful Pontiac, But I am partial to the old Pontiacs myself. 

Yeah, about that, I think my foot slipped off the brake.  Sorry...

:4907:

Ok, Richard was right! Just a mode of transport it is. :rofl: I am very curious to sample a mode of transport built by this company, but I think I know better. :ohboy:

We've got a local guy that has been a Mack Truck aficionado for most of his life. At this point, he gets to collect and restore them instead of pounding the pavement day-in day-out. I'd be full of bull if I tried to tell you about each model he has, but there are a bunch of them. Parade duty is their main role now. :thumbsup:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ltljohn said:

That's cool, I wonder if Dennis (the owner of the Macks in my post) knows about that place. :dontknow: Yeah, I drove trucks full-time from the age of 19 till I was 30. Then the FD rescued me from that. :grin: Let's see if I can remember all of them. 

1, Autocar 

2, Peterbilt

3, Western Star

4, Freightliner

5, Mack

6, Kenworth

7, Ford Louisville 

Wow, I guess I got around...:D

• Like 3
roadscholar

Dug this out of hibernation late today, it was blocked in by a non running Mercedes for almost a year. New battery, fresh gas and quick wash, almost like getting a new car : ) Put on around 80 miles tonight, was nice getting reacquainted..

IMG_0402

• Like 5
Marty Hill

Put the top down and took it for a ride this am.  Heading up north in a week or so to visit cousins in the Boxster.  No reason to ever sell it/when I'm to old to drive   it will go to my son in Norcal.

• Like 1
roadscholar

Nice, we need to go for a cruise in the mountains sometime. I don't remember exactly, is it an '02S, silver?

• Like 1
Marty Hill

Yes to both.  I'm here most of the time.  404-580-4300.  I've taken it from 32k to 52 k in the 3 or so years I've had it.

Marty

• Like 2
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:18 PM, Marty Hill said:

Put the top down and took it for a ride this am.  Heading up north in a week or so to visit cousins in the Boxster.  No reason to ever sell it/when I'm to old to drive   it will go to my son in Norcal.

I'll deliver it...

I saw this in front of my favorite local sporting goods store.  My favorite car of all time - the Shelby Cobra.

20150822_111601.jpg

• Like 3
RandyShields
On 5/29/2019 at 7:48 AM, Sonor said:

I saw this in front of my favorite local sporting goods store.  My favorite car of all time - the Shelby Cobra.

20150822_111601.jpg

I love seeing these on the road and they are my favorite too.  Back in the early 70s when I was hiding my motorcycle from my parents, the guy who stepped up to let me use his garage was the partner of a guy who ran a custom paint shop.  They located and purchased two wrecked Cobras and spent over a year restoring them.  Both had the smaller engines (a 389 ci V-8 I believe) versus the big block 427, but they were crazy fast and fun to ride in when done.  (The grab bar on the passenger side was nicknamed the "Oh Shit" bar from passenger reactions.)  They customized them a bit with Pantera fans to keep the engines running cooler, and one had 8 Weber carbs through the hood.  I went with them once in their RV to a weekend race at Mid Ohio, where the Cobra club members showed up with about 30 of them.  Boy were those loud when they fired a few up at the same time!  Original purchase price was $10K each, and they later sold them for about $50K.  Too bad they didn't hold onto them with the values today of over $1 million!  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
realshelby

Cobras are truly unique cars. And probably the most copied ( kit car ) of all time. The one in the pic is a kit car, but still has the look!  I actually rode in a real 427 Cobra back in 1982. Most of these actually had the 428 engine, which made a  lot less power but was a better "street" engine. While the 427 Cobra is still the one most lust after, the 289 Cobra was actually the one that built the legend. They won most all of the championships and races. 

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
On 5/29/2019 at 7:48 AM, Sonor said:

20150822_111601.jpg

When I was younger in Springfield, IL, a friend, Brad Wagner, bought a Shelby Cobra to drag race.  I remember it being delivered on a trailer to his home.  When in CA to order it, he visited Hurst and had a custom shifter built and had another company fab a fiberglass top.  The car was awesome, though it broke a rear differential a lot as I remember.  I know Brad sold the car.  Some years later (probably 1971), in a toll booth on I-94 in Chicago, I heard a rumble in the next booth and said to my wife, "That's Brad's Cobra".  A few seconds later, a silver Cobra roared out of the booth.  I heard he sold it for $5k.  I want to remember reading a few years ago that Brad's Cobra was purchased along the way by a Japanese collector and hasn't been written about or seen since.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-racing-history/54484-shelby-racer.html

image.thumb.png.58e387daf5047118f1416a0ee0157031.png

A fellow named Jim Fields tuned and drove for Brad.  Jim was connected to Ford racing in the past and those connections were the reason a van stopped by his shop with the crew and two, race-prepped GT40s.  I was way in the background and didn't get an up-close chance to see them.  Jim had a fully restored 1957 Ford Fairlane Skyliner (hard top retracted into trunk).  Another guy in the garage had a 1963 1/2 Ford Fastback.  The 427ci engine was balanced & blueprinted by Ford's unofficial race shop, Holman & Moody out of NC.  That big car could haul.  

Another of the gang and a groomsman at my wedding, Rod Urish, had a '32 flat head Ford that I helped with.  Rod still runs a flat head in his Anglia drag car.  

nostalgic20racer20moter010-1024x678.jpg

image024.jpg

Brad later bought and raced a Fairlane Thunderbolt that was delivered from the factory with fiberglass hood, a driver's seat and not much more.

• Like 1
chrisolson

Great concept for electric ... tons of flat floor to house a lot of battery.  I'd buy one

Bill_Walker
53 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

V-dub ad on TV tonight.

I'm really surprised they'd actually mention the Dieselgate scandal in their own advertising!

They have several electric models in the pipeline.  One Golf/Rabbit-sized one that's supposed to cost about the same as a diesel Golf!

steve.foote

With my 2010 F150 approaching a decade next year, this has been capturing my attention as a potential replacement.  Ford is supposed to be developing an electric F150, too. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
roadscholar

Somewhat corny motorcycle chase scene but with a lot of 50's American iron, have to pay attention though. Buicks, Plymouths, Chrysler Imperials, a Packard, Nash, Hudson, 57 Chevys, and more. 

• Like 1
roadscholar

Over the years VW has had some funny commercials, a few of these you may have seen but others maybe not.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1