IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

Joe Frickin' Friday

I recently read an article about an arcade in Japan that was trying to recreate the feel of Kowloon Walled City.  I had a feeling I knew vaguely what KWC was, so I googled it and yes, it’s the freaky dystopian-future-looking mega-city slum in Hong Kong that’s been featured as a backdrop (real or reimagined) in any number of movies:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/kowloon-walled-city/ (click link at top for full-screen version of the very detailed graphic)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon_Walled_City (a lot more verbal detail of the history and environment of KWC, plus a lot of good pics)

And finally, since this is a thread for YouTube videos worth watching, here's a 1988 documentary by an Austrian film team that actually went into KWC:

• Sad 1
On 11/24/2019 at 11:43 AM, TEWKS said:

Yup! Gotta give it to him, he stuck with the task at hand! :thumbsup:

Eventually he'll learn to pull it against the wind, but he is tough.  I think he's gonna ride a GSA before too long

• Haha 1
On 11/24/2019 at 8:04 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Ever have one of those days?

I wonder about that kid... why didn't he just turn around.  :4607:

Yep, Norm, those guys have a hard life for sure.

Lately I've been watching a lot of Austin Ross - a pipeline welder in his late 20's.

This might be a good introduction:

• Like 1
On 12/1/2019 at 7:18 PM, LBump said:

I wonder about that kid... why didn't he just turn around.  :4607:

Because he is a kid?

I teach college (physics), we do not get too many geniuses.

Hindsight is 20/20.  Most 'geniuses' are only smart in one area.  I seem to remember a story about Einstein forgetting his belt and having to use one hand to hold his pants up while he wrote on the blackboard with the other.  Trying to do something the hard/wrong way for the wrong reasons seems to be the human condition, and the cause of most arguments on the internet.

58 minutes ago, Antimatter said:

Trying to do something the hard/wrong way for the wrong reasons seems to be the human condition, and the cause of most arguments on the internet.

I think that's completely wrong!  :grin:

19 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Common sense seems to have a long gestation period.

My son finished an aerospace engineering degree a couple years ago.  One of the last classes he had to take was called "Human Factors".  It was basically a "common sense" class.  Like one of the sigs on this board says: keep the pointy end up.

Joe Frickin' Friday
On 12/14/2019 at 9:45 PM, LBump said:

Other than I thought CoarsegoldKid (Joe ) was leading the orchestra... this young soul Anastasia has a great road ahead of her. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJjSEGOOOcc

That was impressive.  So much so that I am almost embarrassed to follow it up with this.

Our own Itchybro first posted this about fourteen years ago, but it set such a high standard that it bears posting again:

Joe Frickin' Friday

I'm still on a dog spree.  Here's a dog drinking water in slow motion.  Well, she doesn't so much drink the water as she seems to eat it:

My boyhood dog drank by lapping the water up, tongue curled up, scooping the water into her mouth and down her throat. No splashing, few drips or dribbles.

This dog's tongue is curling under, scooping a small amount of water, which is immediately blocked by the base of her tongue and mostly splashes out of her mouth.  Our daughter's Doberman does the same,  splashing  an area 3 feet around his bowl,  water dripping off his face for another twenty feet as he walks away.  

Sleight of hand?

...and the captain says fasten your seat belts!

Edited by AnotherLee
Can't get enough!
Joe Frickin' Friday

In honor of the rapidly approaching new year and decade (just ~90 minutes away here in the eastern time zone), here are the top five largest fireworks shells ever launched:

RandyShields

Wow.  Pretty spectacular.  Would have enjoyed seeing these in person . . . if I could have stayed up that late.  Looks like they could have launched that last one a bit higher, though.

My son is a licensed operator. We do a pretty nice show up on Lake Huron for the 4th of July. Our biggest is usually 12" shells. One of the crowd favorites is our fireballs which consists of 20 gallons of gasoline lifted by a pound of black powder. Here's a little bigger version of the fireball. The 650 gallon SuperNuke. Start at 1:30 for the countdown and avoid long bit of dead air.

Here's a young man with a sense of humor and impressive knowledge of cars & trucks.

His name looks like a misspelling - Westen Champlin. 

Active on youtube for only a year, he now has 400K subscribers.

Enjoy this sample playlist of his many videos.

Joe Frickin' Friday

From the "gross but fascinating" department, here's a time-lapse video of a praying mantis eating an entire locust.  He takes about three hours, but you can watch it all happen in about 90 seconds:

John Ranalletta

I used to watch this guy's vids, but I'd end up with a headache.  They said there'd be no math in YouTube...

• Confused 1

Yeah I'm afraid that's what happens when us boogie chillun get old, it ain't always pretty but like Peter Egan says we're a butt-shakin crowd. :grin:

• Like 1
On 1/8/2020 at 3:36 PM, John Ranalletta said:

I used to watch this guy's vids, but I'd end up with a headache.  They said there'd be no math in YouTube...

I would much rather do math than write a paper. Took 13 math classes in college (calculus and beyond). Did not have to take any English (Composition, etc). Fair trade off to me. Oh, there is no math in the video.

Headache? No pain, no gain.

Lock Picking Lawyer finds a motorcycle lock he actually recommends!

(Yes, he is a lawyer and yes, he is very good at picking locks.)

This lock available on Amazon for $129.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Interesting conversation between a WW2 vet and an Afghanistan (and elsewhere) vet.  The elder gentleman is 95 years old, and remarkably healthy and alert for any age.  The two have an enlightening discussion about the similarities and differences of their service experiences:

Are you in this high-risk group of bikers? This guy has a pretty staid delivery but he speaks the truth!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

Downhill Vs. Dogs.  Looks crazy-dangerous for the dogs and their owners, but man, the dogs look like they're having a blast:

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Downhill Vs. Dogs.  Looks crazy-dangerous for the dogs and their owners, but man, the dogs look like they're having a blast:

Had a buddy when I was active duty that had two huskies.  My buddy was a fairly fast runner and he would use his dogs to help him in his training.  He said the dogs could do sub 15 minute three mile runs,........my buddy was consistent at sub 16 minute three milers,.........

I have become fascinated with....Buckin' Billy Ray Smith!  His videos are a bit long so you might jump forward some. The more I follow him the more I respect the man for being what he is. Heavy set older man? Double check that. Wait till he pulls off the outer jacket. I expect this man could squeeze a bear into submission. The core, shoulder, and arm strength to swing an axe this long is amazing!