IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

Fuck that!!  I'd use a proper chain saw!

Plus the guy is an idiot using an axe  without eye protection.  :dopeslap:

Gotta love uTube... 

9 hours ago, LBump said:

Fuck that!!  I'd use a proper chain saw!

Plus the guy is an idiot using an axe  without eye protection.  :dopeslap:

Gotta love uTube... 

Most times, when doing home construction work, I just use my hand saw as it's easier to get to and I don't have to deal with carrying the mitre saw to the location of the cutting or pulling out extension cords for the circular saw.

If they had used me in that Chevy commercial where the group of guys were given the choice of circular saw or hand saw, I'da picked the handsaw.

I'm an idiot too.  Rarely wear eye pro when using my ax, grinders, chain saw, regular saw, you name it.  I was blurred for a couple of weeks once,......methinks I "bruised" an eye or two........but,....it got better.

Speaking of axes, here's one about forging a damascus steel one. Done by our friend Scott (Essential Craftsman) for our friend Adam (Abom79).

• 2 weeks later...
John Ranalletta
6 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Worst service dog ever.

Our good friends and dog lovers took on the job of training a service dog.  They absorbed all the expense and time for 18 months before returning the pooch to the service dog center in Ohio.  Unfortunately, when tested, the dog flunked because it would not walk across a sidewalk grate, choosing instead to walk around (with its handler) off the sidewalk an into traffic.  Our friends opted to keep the dog as it could not go into service.

They took on a second dog that swallowed a chew whole and needed $4k of surgery which they footed.  Unfortunately, the second dog developed a weak bladder and needs doggy depends overnight.  Well, you can't lay that onto someone who needs help not more work; so, our friends now have two very gentle labs of their own.

John Ranalletta

Dustin's channels, Smarter Every Day, 1&2 are terrific.  The most recent uploads are the best ever.

Can we convince Tony Bruno to run for president?

RandyShields
On 11/26/2019 at 4:39 PM, AnotherLee said:

How big is the earth compared to the universe ?

Mind Blowing!

Wow, that really is mind blowing.  Really puts a difficult concept into perspective.  What I still don't understand though, even as numbingly large as the universe is, what is it in?  Or does it go on forever . . . .

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Wow, that really is mind blowing.  Really puts a difficult concept into perspective.  What I still don't understand though, even as numbingly large as the universe is, what is it in?  Or does it go on forever . . . .

And scientists have determined that the universe is 14 billion years old. Sure, since we have no idea how big it really is, I can see how they know it's age.

And what if it's not THE universe, but only A universe? The concept of an infinite universe is hard to fathom, the thought of others existing just blows my mind.

That is a pretty cool video!

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

A few weeks ago, we attended a show at the McDonald Observatory near Fort Davis, TX.  While it was a cloudy night, the staff put on very educational show. The term "light years" rolls off peoples' tongues pretty easily, but trying to get one's mind around the fact much of the light we see began its journey to our eyes millions of years ago?

We are significant only to ourselves.

BTW, in southwest TX?  Visit McDonald

image.png.9ac6300954aa3fe714fa0fcdcb056e18.png

Joe Frickin' Friday
13 hours ago, RandyShields said:

In the middle of that video there's a shot of the earth from ~4B miles away.  That is the Pale Blue Dot photo, and it's one of the more famous photos in astronomy.   Carl Sagan had this to say about it:

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

• Like 3

I have always found non physicists discussing physics quite interesting. Give insight into how normal people view their world.

Having studied electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, special relativity (some day hope to find the time to figure out general relativity) etc. I find these things interesting but no longer mind blowing.

If the laws of physics as we know them do not forbid something from happening (other universes for example) why shouldn't it happen?

Question : more stars in the observable universe, grains of sand on Earth, or arrangements of a deck of (52) cards?

Actually there are more ways to arrange cards than atoms on Earth.

Mini GP Moto...

Love the helmet to body/bike proportion. 

You only wished you did this... :jawdrop

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

Take a break from your coronavirus newsfeed, and just spend three minutes watching Stella jump into piles of leaves.  You'll feel better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Coronavirus has claimed the life of Ken Shimura, a comedian who has been making Japan laugh for almost 50 years.  This CNN article describes him as "Japan's Robin Williams."  Since I don't yet understand a whole lotta Japanese, a good part of his wit flew over my head, but his knack for slapstick and occasional crude humor reminds me of Benny Hill.  Here's a couple of examples of his work:

• Like 2

some language etc, but  ... all in good fun

Probably most west coast  folks and other may remember Cal Worthington and his infamous television car ads.  (you can google him for further info if you have no idea)

Well, never say Navy pilots don't have a sense of humor ... This is a period piece from a Squadron video ... yeah they had (have?) such things ...  probably done sometime in the mid / late 80's

• Haha 1
Bill_Walker
1 hour ago, chrisolson said:

Probably most west coast  folks and other may remember Cal Worthington and his infamous television car ads. 

Go see Cal!  Go see Cal!  Go see Cal!

Just now, Bill_Walker said:

Go see Cal!  Go see Cal!  Go see Cal!

and his "dog" spot ... various animals from bears to lions to monkeys on a leash

• Like 1
2 hours ago, chrisolson said:

some language etc, but  ... all in good fun

Probably most west coast  folks and other may remember Cal Worthington and his infamous television car ads.  (you can google him for further info if you have no idea)

Well, never say Navy pilots don't have a sense of humor ... This is a period piece from a Squadron video ... yeah they had (have?) such things ...  probably done sometime in the mid / late 80's

And here’s a bit about Cal most of us didn't know....

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, ESokoloff said:

And here’s a bit about Cal most of us didn't know....

An amazing man !

Here is another that is more inspiring, a trailer for a biopic about card manipulator Richard Turner. Watching the entire film is inspirational. 

Thank God for Cal Worthington and the thousands of men and women as dedicated to America as they were. 🙏

In case you missed it everywhere:  Panis Angelicus is at 2:00 and Amazing Grace at 18:50

In case you missed it everywhere: Bocelli, Milan, and hope.  Panis Angelicus is at 2:00 and Amazing Grace at 18:45

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

Here's four minutes of Ferraris owning the Nürburgring.  Put headphones on - the sound is the best part:

• Like 1

Well, those do sound good. But what about somthin' more Ameriken. Something about a stock v8 shifting at 8,250 rpm that is just righteous. I may be slightly partial...owning one of these.