IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

AnotherLee

Devon Rodriguez mobbed in Tokyo. Who knew he was so known there?

Overbuilt Peterbilt! How doesn’t this thing destroy itself… :dontknow:

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

:rofl:

The original by Eminem is here, but fair warning, his lyrics ain't PG-13.

• Haha 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

A crazy-low fly-by from a C-17 Globemaster in Brisbane, Australia:

Those hard turns at low speed and low altitude are kind of scary.  If you've ever heard of Bud Holland, then you know why.

• Like 4
Hosstage

That is crazy! So many questions, the main one being, did someone get a court martial for that stunt?

Skywagon

Im thinking AI or CGI...could be real, but leaves a good bit of question for me.  Why were those people already at the window filming and it just happen to come by....I dunno...  At TO/Power I would expect a lot shattered windows.

Joe Frickin' Friday
17 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Im thinking AI or CGI...could be real, but leaves a good bit of question for me.  Why were those people already at the window filming and it just happen to come by....I dunno...  At TO/Power I would expect a lot shattered windows.

The info I saw said that they were practicing for an airshow.  Lots of similar clips from other years, so no reason to believe these clips have been faked.

Presumably this was a scheduled practice, so fanatics would have had an opportunity to get into position to capture good video clips like this.  And for people who happened to be on high floors (like the ones in the first video I posted above), the multiple passes would likewise have given them a heads-up to get their cameras out and pay attention for upcoming runs.

Here's an 8K clip made with a nice camera and a skilled operator:

Second comment under that video:

"The first time I watched a C-17 flyby for Riverfire, I was amazed at how quiet they are... a 737 on final approach to BNE going over our house is crazy loud by comparison."

A little surprising, since the Globemaster has four engines that make 40K pounds of thrust each, and the 737 has only two engines that make only 25K-30K pounds each, but I'll take his word for it.  It's worth noting that both of these planes use high-bypass turbofan engines; these use a big ducted fan to push a lot of air backward at relatively low exit velocity, which helps a lot with the noise.  Fighter aircraft like the F/A-18 Super Hornet (what the Blue Angels fly) use straight-up turbojets, no bypass; they make a narrower plume of higher velocity exhaust, creating a lot more noise - moreso with afterburner, which creates the supersonic turbulence that gives them their characteristic crackling sound.  If you tried the same low-level urban flyby with four Super Hornets in full afterburner (same total thrust as one Globemaster), yeah, I wonder if you might break a few windows.  :cool:  OTOH, they don't seem to mind flying one Super Hornet at a time on that path:

Joe Frickin' Friday

BTW, your dog may be scamming you:

Joe Frickin' Friday

...And this guy is scamming his dog:

• Haha 1
RandyShields
1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

And this guy is scamming his dog.

Mitch, nice to see you joining the rest of us in low places.  With your prior posts and engineering insights, I always thought of you as a more sophisticated member and moderator . . . .

Hosstage
1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

Mitch, nice to see you joining the rest of us in low places.  With your prior posts and engineering insights, I always thought of you as a more sophisticated member and moderator . . . .

No matter what kind of guy you are, serious or juvenile, fart jokes are still funny!

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1
Skywagon
23 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

The info I saw said that they were practicing for an airshow

Perhaps but the military has been restrict to 1000ft  AGL since 911 and FAR 91.119(b). Over an “other than congested area,” an aircraft may not be operated at less than 500 feet above the surface and less than 2000ft horizontally from any structure.  FAR 91.119(c). Over “open water” or a “sparsely populated area,” an aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet from any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure

You can apply for a waiver with the FAA, but my understanding after several recent air show accidents, waivers are hard to come by. I have a buddy who works in the FSDO. I’ll see what he knows. Where was this?

MikeB60
14 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Perhaps but the military has been restrict to 1000ft  AGL since 911 and FAR 91.119(b). Over an “other than congested area,” an aircraft may not be operated at less than 500 feet above the surface and less than 2000ft horizontally from any structure.  FAR 91.119(c). Over “open water” or a “sparsely populated area,” an aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet from any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure

You can apply for a waiver with the FAA, but my understanding after several recent air show accidents, waivers are hard to come by. I have a buddy who works in the FSDO. I’ll see what he knows. Where was this?

These aircraft belong to the Royal Australian Air Force and were flying in Australia. 

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
Skywagon

Thanks Mike… no connections for me in Australia. Lots of connections with NTSB, FAA, and ATC, but never flown in Australia. I can usually get a pretty good/accurate report here. 

• Like 1
MikeB60
5 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Thanks Mike… no connections for me in Australia. Lots of connections with NTSB, FAA, and ATC, but never flown in Australia. I can usually get a pretty good/accurate report here. 

I've got contacts with the FAA and NTSB as well. Both agencies send reps to the annual DoD mishap investigation conference. Our aviation investigators say it's very impressive when FAA walks into a tower to ask why they aren't complying with our requests for information.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
4 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Perhaps but the military has been restrict to 1000ft  AGL since 911...

My earlier vids were from AUS, but this one was in the US...and yeah, they landed themselves in hot water:

4 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

My earlier vids were from AUS, but this one was in the US...and yeah, they landed themselves in hot water:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
duckhawk64

I saw that and it blew my mind. That guy should feel pretty thankful. It would have cut him in half. 

4 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Construction Manager… blade may have come loose… may?

Saw that on TV this AM and thought ... that guy walking in should play the lottery for sure !!   Good lord! 

Here is a video I recorded last year on my way to START 2023.

It is a reminder for everyone to make sure they on there toes because it is spring time and none of the 4wheeler jockeys think about us 2 wheelers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
wbw6cos

Gee, I don't know Bernie.  I think them damn 2-wheelers are just as bad.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

Yup ... there are idiot on 2 and 4 wheels.  You just gotta watch them all.

That really was TOO close for comfort! 

• Smile 1

Folks have probably seen this rescue but boy I'd be kissing the ground and playing the lottery if I was that driver! 

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
8 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Holy crap.  Looked like a group on sport-tourers trying desperately to get out of the rest area in front of a group on cruisers.  On a blind corner.  and with nobody riding their own ride.  Glad you managed to dodge all of them.  Likewise @Bernie, I guess the FedEx guy was just being lazy and trying to use the whole road?  Sheesh.  

• Sad 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
17 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Construction Manager… blade may have come loose… may?

It reminded me of a very similar incident from a long time ago:

This was from 2010, before home security cameras became ubiquitous.  The worker thought nobody saw him, so he finished and left without telling anyone about it - but this particular house did have a security cam, and caught the whole thing.  

Lowndes

Lieutenant General (Ret) Ben Hodges, Commander of U.S. Forces Europe in 2014-17

Ben Hodges - The Siege of Crimea has Begun as Ukraine Takes Control over the Black Sea and Coastline

A VERY interesting interview that becomes more sobering as it progresses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34SP5GvCNdk

• Thinking 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Propane and propane accessories:

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
Lowndes
22 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Well, it could have been worse.

• Like 1
Darbarian
4 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Situational awareness and quick mind served the biker very well. 

• Like 2
Darbarian
On 3/31/2024 at 6:42 PM, wbw6cos said:

The only relevant portion of the video happened in the first 10 seconds... of a clip over 9 minutes long.

There is a mentality among low-functioning drivers that escaping penalties for an egregious driving error means you can safely repeat that dumb move.

New to group riding?  Just stay in a staggered formation and you will be both safe and welcome to ride with us.

Dang good reminder that unexpected hazards can be right around the next bend...

... and sometimes no skillset can save you... don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly. (filing category: Do as I say, not as I do).

And "BRP"  Which of these do you mean?  https://search.brave.com/search?q=brp&source=desktop

Lowndes
On 3/31/2024 at 8:42 PM, wbw6cos said:

I was right behind William and still have flashbacks.  I couldn't believe they didn't hit.  It just did not seem possible that they missed.  Thank goodness they did miss.  Two of them (weren't with the bikes in the right lane, we think) were IN our lane passing the others coming into a curve.  I saw him coming just in time to move over.  UN-freakin-believable.  IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR LANE  - AND - made NO effort to move over or avoid William.

Frome their bikes and gear they did not look to be inexperienced riders, either.

I'll ask YOU:

Should we have turned around and chased them down??  If so, what then?? 

I'll freely admit, part of me really REALLY wanted to chase them down.  We discussed it briefly at the time but decided not to.  On rare occasions I do have moments of clarity if not sanity.  Along with quiescent rage whenever I see the vid or think about it.

• Like 1
Hosstage

I'm hoping one of the riders in the group behind those idiots dressed them down when they got to their stop, or even before that.

I've ridden with guys that have done stupid stuff almost as bad, and they've almost always said themselves that that was the dumbest thing they've ever done, so most are self aware, and the idiocy not repeated. (I've been guilty of a few idiot moves myself over the years.)

Not all, of course. The ones that don't learn, I stay away from.

• Like 2
Hosstage
18 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

I'll freely admit, part of me really REALLY wanted to chase them down.  We discussed it briefly at the time but decided not to.

That was the right move, no good would have come of it.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1

I just saw that video …. Will watch tonight as it certainly sounds interesting 

Darbarian
8 hours ago, Lowndes said:

I was right behind William and still have flashbacks.  I couldn't believe they didn't hit.  It just did not seem possible that they missed.  Thank goodness they did miss.  Two of them (weren't with the bikes in the right lane, we think) were IN our lane passing the others coming into a curve.  I saw him coming just in time to move over.  UN-freakin-believable.  IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR LANE  - AND - made NO effort to move over or avoid William.

Frome their bikes and gear they did not look to be inexperienced riders, either.

I'll ask YOU:

Should we have turned around and chased them down??  If so, what then?? 

I'll freely admit, part of me really REALLY wanted to chase them down.  We discussed it briefly at the time but decided not to.  On rare occasions I do have moments of clarity if not sanity.  Along with quiescent rage whenever I see the vid or think about it.

I was minding my own business driving my '06 GMC 4wd V6 pickup at 70 in a 70 zone 2-lane when an oncoming Jeep station wagon suddenly veered into my lane, sighting in on my grill at a 140-mph closing speed. Fortunately, I AM A DRIVER. I keep my hands at 10-and-2, pay attention to every relevant thing around me and practice vehicular control at very high levels. I jinked right to the edge of the paved shoulder and back after his suicide attempt failed. I briefly considered chasing him down, but, after quickly playing that scenario out in my mind, just kept on going about my own business. 

I could easily imagine me catching up, running him off the road, screaming and yelling ... with witnesses calling in the lunatic driving the GMC pickup. NAH. Not likely to do anything constructive.

• Like 1
RandyShields
13 hours ago, greiffster said:

Interesting take on motorcycle body armor......

Not surprised at all by this on two levels.  First, I never expected the body armor pads to protect against fractures or serious blunt force trauma.  I expected only protection against road rash and the like.  Second, his attacks on the manufacturers of gear seem to be increasing.  

• Like 1
BamaJohn
13 hours ago, greiffster said:

Interesting take on motorcycle body armor.......

Why I Stopped Wearing Motorcycle Body Armour

I've often thought as I donned my riding gear:  "how in hell is this little knee pad going to help much, when it's half the size it should be for me, and is always in the wrong place ?".  Then I recall how much time and money I spent making the bike fit me.  

Riding gear has an assortment of sizes in overall fitment, but not in the parts that are specifically for protection.

Aerostitch does a great job with this issue to me (I have no experience with some other top tier riding gear).  Fortunately, I've never had to put the gear to the ultimate test!

• Like 1

I always felt that protecting from road rash was the most important but figured the armor can't hurt.   

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

I think this is a pretty good explanation of a routing program for all the BaseCamp haters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Joe Frickin' Friday

Farming, old-school (but not super-old school, only ~120 years ago):

Try not to get your fingers caught in the gears; if you do, you won't get them back.

When I was a kid in the late '70s, I went to a vintage steam power expo in Boscobel, Wisconsin.  There were several dozen tractors and other steam-powered items being exhibited in a big field (although I think none as big as this monster).  My parents and I were talking to one of the exhibiters for a bit, when suddenly every single steam whistle in the place started howling at the exact same moment. Scared the hell out of us.

Why did they all go at the same time, you ask?  Simple: it was noon.  :dopeslap:

• Like 3
John Ranalletta
31 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Farming, old-school (but not super-old school, only ~120 years ago):

Try not to get your fingers caught in the gears; if you do, you won't get them back.

When I was a kid in the late '70s, I went to a vintage steam power expo in Boscobel, Wisconsin.  There were several dozen tractors and other steam-powered items being exhibited in a big field (although I think none as big as this monster).  My parents and I were talking to one of the exhibiters for a bit, when suddenly every single steam whistle in the place started howling at the exact same moment. Scared the hell out of us.

Why did they all go at the same time, you ask?  Simple: it was noon.  :dopeslap:

Cool.  However, after the Medina, OH explosion, I'll walk the other way at the IN state fair when they fire up the steam engines.