IGNORED

START 2014 - Slayin' The Dragon

Kinsley

My dog thinks we're leaving in 42 weeks...

could be worse.

:wave:

Isn't it the other way around...he would think your leaving in 6 days. If 1 Dog year equals 7 of ours, divide the weeks by 7 instead of multiplying...or am I a dog :wave:

My dog thinks we're leaving in 42 weeks...

could be worse.

:wave:

Isn't it the other way around...he would think your leaving in 6 days. If 1 Dog year equals 7 of ours, divide the weeks by 7 instead of multiplying...or am I a dog :wave:

No, youre not a dog ... but it does sound like someone thinks like a dog.

RandyShields

Even though that Mitch-Shawn string is enough to scare anybody off, I am IN, and looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Randy

First event I look forward to putting faces with names. I made Reservations at the Quality Inn in Andrews.

4/25-27th.

Daniel

Lone_RT_rider
I picture them in the future riding matching 2025 Triple Black GS models...kinda Mad Max meets Village People :rofl:

Now you know I would never stoop so low as to ride a GS. :grin::rofl: Mitch, well.... he's not fond of the old guys dirt bike either. :dopeslap:

First event I look forward to putting faces with names. I made Reservations at the Quality Inn in Andrews.

4/25-27th.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

We don't bite...well most of us, so why don't you stay at the Microtel where we negotiated a pretty good rate. Either way, it will be nice to meet you.

snip/ Now you know I would never stoop so low as to ride a GS. :grin::rofl: ... /snip

This one time, down under, I...

Lone_RT_rider

snip/ Now you know I would never stoop so low as to ride a GS. :grin::rofl: ... /snip

You notice I ran right out and purchased one right after that experience? (sarcasm implied)

4/25-27th.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

We don't bite...well most of us, so why don't you stay at the Microtel where we negotiated a pretty good rate. Either way, it will be nice to meet you.

I tried there but they were booked up. Got a great rate in Andrews though at the Quality Inn. Hotel booking page said 8.5 miles but it actually is 22 miles. I'm looking forward to it.

4/25-27th.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I tried there but they were booked up. Got a great rate in Andrews though at the Quality Inn. Hotel booking page said 8.5 miles but it actually is 22 miles. I'm looking forward to it.

I have not checked with the hotel to see if they're booked up with our group. Did you mention that you're with the BMW group?

4/25-27th.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Hi Daniel,

I just got off the pgone with the front desk. They're showing 11 rooms left from our original block. Please call the hotel front desk (828-479-6772) and request a room under group confirmation number W97561870.

I you'll get a room at the group rate at the event venue. Thats really how to put names to faces. (Dont call central reservations at the toll free or try to do this online if you're having problems.)

See you soon.

roadscholar

You notice I ran right out and purchased one right after that experience? (sarcasm implied)

I'm guessing this is the "official" position, cause I'd swear everytime I pull in the parking lot on that red 1150 twin-spark he asks me if I want to sell it. :grin:

4/25-27th.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Hi Daniel,

I just got off the pgone with the front desk. They're showing 11 rooms left from our original block. Please call the hotel front desk (828-479-6772) and request a room under group confirmation number W97561870.

You'll get a room at the group rate at the event venue. Thats really how to put names to faces. (Dont call central reservations at the toll free or try to do this online if you're having problems.)

See you soon.

I'm guessing this is the "official" position, cause I'd swear everytime I pull in the parking lot on that red 1150 twin-spark he asks me if I want to sell it. :grin:

Acceptance is the first step in the cure, I mean, purchase!

4/25-27th.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Hi Daniel,

I you'll get a room at the group rate at the event venue. Thats really how to put names to faces. (Dont call central reservations at the toll free or try to do this online if you're having problems.)

See you soon.

Thanks, got it worked out and I am set for the Microtel. Will be there on the 25th. Looking forward to it.

jar_of_clay

Have you ever eaten at Caffe REL in Franklin? If you have not, it is worth the ride down NC28 into Franklin. If the road survived the winter, it is a great ride. Once you get there, you will have a great meal. We stumbled on the place a few years ago. It is located in the Hot Spot gas station. I know it sounds weird, but the owner is the former head chef at The Greenbrier. The food is fantastic. The prices are very reasonable, approximately $12 to $15 per entree. The Chef will have his Porsche parked in front if he is there. The last time I was there, he had just bought a new one, and he told me he drives it "like he stole it." If you will have a large group, I would call first to check their capacity. If you like shrimp and grits, his are quite unique and they are my favorite on his menu.

i-H45TXZP-M.jpg

i-Dg2Ln4k-M.jpg

That is my daughter and her boyfriend standing in front of the restaurant.

JOC-- thanks for the heads up on the diamond in the rough cafe. I found a similar spot in the California Sierra's.. Damn fine food. A must try..Caffe REL

jar_of_clay

My son and I are heading to the Sierra's in May. I would love to try the recommended restuart. Do you still have the address? Thanks.

IMG_8202-M.jpg

Google comes through once again. It is the Tioga gas mart and Whoa Nellie Deli. I won't spoil it but you will not be disappointed..

jar_of_clay

Great place to eat! My oldest son and I stopped there too. It is on the road leading out of Yosemite. It is the Eastern gate. They have awesome food. It does remind me of Caffe REL. I will plan to take my youngest to eat there in May when we ride out West. Thanks again for reminding me so that I can mark my GPS.

IMG_5606-M.jpg

Here are two links to the routes for START 2014 in Robbinsville. They contain the same information, but in GDB and GPX formats. Some people only get computer code with one or the other, which is hard to follow on a motorcycle, so I loaded both. :)

A note about receiving Routes From others.

Your maps and preferences may be different than those of the person you received them from, so to be sure you ride the intended route you must do the following.

Open the GDB or GPX file in your software, then make duplicates of each route (usually a right click will show the option).

Change the color of the Duplicate route (usually double click, then go to “Info” and look there)

Note the mileage, then Re-calculate the Original route. The mileage should stay the same.

If the route mileage is different, look for the color you changed the Duplicate route to. You will need to add a Waypoint or Via point to the Original route to make it match the Duplicate route. Once the two routes are the same, delete the Duplicate route, then load the Original route onto your GPS.

START 2014 Robbinsville Routes GDB

START 2014 Robbinsville Routes GPX

Looks like fun. For what it's worth, the GDB file imported into Basecamp perfectly. Cop shops, gas stations, waypoints, routes, food, etc. Nicely done.

...For what it's worth, the GDB file imported into Basecamp perfectly. Cop shops, gas stations, waypoints, routes, food, etc. Nicely done.

Ditto for importing the GPX file into Basecamp on my Mac.

What's the general sidestands up time? I'm looking at rolling in Friday morning and rolling back home Friday evening. Wife's birthday weekend and all that hub-bub ;)

What's the general sidestands up time? I'm looking at rolling in Friday morning and rolling back home Friday evening. Wife's birthday weekend and all that hub-bub ;)

It all depends.

People ride in groups that they often assemble over breakfast.

Leave a couple hours early on Thursday, spend the right, right toward home with a group.

Or, bring her along, this is a great group of people, and those of us who can quite often bring our spouses/SOs to join us.

It all depends.

People ride in groups that they often assemble over breakfast.

Leave a couple hours early on Thursday, spend the right, right toward home with a group.

Or, bring her along, this is a great group of people, and those of us who can quite often bring our spouses/SOs to join us.

Can't bring her, she's a teecher, hard for her to get days off.

I've got no problem leaving home at zero dark thirty to get there for breakfast, it's not that long of a run....as it gets closer, I'll decide. Was just looking for a general leave time.

Joe Frickin' Friday

It all depends.

This. The majority of folks will blast off some time between 7:00 and 10:00 - although for many, the first stop is a lazy breakfast somewhere not too far down the road.

You could always have her drive down friday after school and hang out with the bunch of us. She might even get a free drink or two from someone for her bday.

You just never know.

My wife is considering coming, but in all honesty she is a ride to eat kinda girl. A 300 mile day on the back of the bike is usually more than she is willing to do. She has done it on some longer trips but her back tends to be a problem after about 200 miles. I'm not really sure this is the trip for her. We have been to the Dragon twice on the bike. The first time through and back. The second time we had lunch at Deals and just watched the "Pirate Show".

How long are the routes I can't get them to down load other than as text. I was kinda hoping for something like the Dragon north then across to Gatlinberg then back over the Smokey Mountain Parkway to Cherokee, then Robbinsville.

I have ridden a good bit in this area and the good roads are just everywhere. There is a great bakery in Telico Plains, over the Skyway, that has wonderful pizza for lunch but it fills up pretty quick and the wait can be pretty long. There are also several meat & 3's that are OK but not memorable. Lunch at Deal's Gap is a must as well. As far as the Dragon goes I'm not an expert by any means, but the white line is the safest route unless you have good sight distance. I have had another rider in my lane coming the opposite direction at some point on every pass I have made. Just saying be careful and avoid camera fixation.

How long are the routes I can't get them to down load other than as text. I was kinda hoping for something like the Dragon north then across to Gatlinberg then back over the Smokey Mountain Parkway to Cherokee, then Robbinsville

Try downloading the GDB version. If that doesn't work, email me at kinsley@insleyimages.com and I'll try to send them directly.

The gpx file comes down as text and I didn't look at the gdb. But (call me old fashioned), both opened just fine in MapSource.

Try opening them with proper software before worrying what form they're in.

Oh- Becky and I are in, reservation made. Expect to be on our new, fairly farkled, F800GT's rather than the R's or K's.

A note about the routes.

You'll see Route 1, 2 and 3 , which will take you to a Restaurant. From there, you can decide to take one of several options to get you back to Robbinsville with 1A being longer than 1B which is longer than 1C.

The routes have the number with a dash then another number (like 1-127). The 2nd number is the mileage to the destination, followed by some roads in the route.

For the optional return routes, you'll see something like 1A-163/290, which is the mileage of the particular return route, then the total you will have done upon your return to Robbinsville.

Has anyone asked the hotel what the practical effect of this is for those who might want hang out in the parking lot swapping stories and partaking of adult beverages?

I did ask a few months back and the hotel staff said they have not had a problem with enforcement on the property. Of course, Robbinsville has it's share of riders coming through, so we won't be the first to hang in the parking lot with a beverage. This does not mean we would be given permission if local authorities were asked, but they may look the other way since tourist dollars from groups like ours support them.

I've stayed at the Microtel many times over the years and they never had any problem with our hanging out with our beverages in the lot or the conference rooms that they can open up so there's someplace for everyone to hang out together.

Has anyone asked the hotel what the practical effect of this is for those who might want hang out in the parking lot swapping stories and partaking of adult beverages?

I did ask a few months back and the hotel staff said they have not had a problem with enforcement on the property. Of course, Robbinsville has it's share of riders coming through, so we won't be the first to hang in the parking lot with a beverage. This does not mean we would be given permission if local authorities were asked, but they may look the other way since tourist dollars from groups like ours support them.

I've stayed at the Microtel many times over the years and they never had any problem with our hanging out with our beverages in the lot or the conference rooms that they can open up so there's someplace for everyone to hang out together.

I just went by there and they said it's not a problem because we'll be on private property and the police don't have a problem with it. :clap: less than a month :thumbsup:

Oh... and one other leetle detail?

I'M IN!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

:grin:

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now we just need to work on getting Uncle Jed IN...

There is always the No Socks Blairsville Stealth mode...

Shannon,

So the perp perpetrated?

It will be good to see you.

Oh... and one other leetle detail?

I'M IN!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

:grin:

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now we just need to work on getting Uncle Jed IN...

I know he has some road time ending just before this, but I'm not sure this in his future. I talked to him last night, will lean on him again today.

I hate to ask a dumb question, but I'm going to anyway. What is the difference between the GDB and GPX files. When I try to download the GPX files I get a bunch of text. If I right click on the link, and save it to a file on my computer it shows no time required for riding each route. I have an old version of Mapsource with NA 7 maps for a Garmin 2610.

There is always the No Socks Blairsville Stealth mode...

Shannon,

So the perp perpetrated?

It will be good to see you.

Actually Tim ... as I began really digging into the case, I realized there was not a chance in hell I could prove identity beyond a reasonable doubt. My detective had plenty of probable cause to name her; and it probably was her; but the lighting of the surveillance still shots made her complexion look so considerably different, that even a dozen prosecutors in my office wouldn't say they were comfortable identifying her as the defendant.

So I did what I'm supposed to do --- I dismissed the prosecution.

Archived