IGNORED

START 2014 - Slayin' The Dragon

Kinsley

I'm still hoping the defendant on my trial 4/28 gets re-arrested ... maybe I can get it settled and cruise on over! ;-)
I hoping it works out so you get to one of these shindigs ... one of these years! ;)

Sounds good Bud. We will be riding different loops each day I think so we should be able to hook up somewhere. I will pm you a general idea of what I have planned as the time gets closer.

I'm still hoping the defendant on my trial 4/28 gets re-arrested ... maybe I can get it settled and cruise on over! ;-)

Hope to see you there!

well this noob made reservations yesterday after the great welcome I received. I'm looking forward to meeting the group.

well this noob made reservations yesterday after the great welcome I received. I'm looking forward to meeting the group.

Glad to have you join us.

Sorry Ken, have a conflict and will not be able to attend.

Bill

No conflicts allowed! Sorry you cant make it.

5 or 6 of us from the Florida panhandle arriving Thursday - departing Sunday. :wave:

and some on Friday too.

I have an "important" question. Someone posted early on in this thread that Robbinsville may well be in a "dry county". Is this true, and if so, what's the practical effect (no such thing as a dry anything back home in Canada)?

NOTE TO ALL MEMBERS:

Please do not change the titles of threads. When you do, it appears under the new title on the main page. But when people go to the forum to search for the thread with that new title, the thread appears under the original title. The continuity is broken and and it can get confusing.

Yeah, I wish the software handled it differently. But it doesn't, so we all need to keep thread titles consistent.

I have an "important" question. Someone posted early on in this thread that Robbinsville may well be in a "dry county". Is this true, and if so, what's the practical effect (no such thing as a dry anything back home in Canada)?

Yes, it seems it is.

You either by your alcohol while on the way or you drink someplace where it's allowed in the town. I think we'll be ok if we have it at the hotel and such.

From the Graham County Chamber of Commerce website:

"Alcohol in Graham County (Robbinsville). Graham County is a dry county, with the exception of 4 locations - SNOWBIRD LODGE located on NC143 at the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway. Fireside Bar and exclusive restaurant reservations required. BLUEWATERS MOUNTAIN LODGE, located just off US129 north of Robbinsville. Beer & Wine served at restaurant and bar. Throughout FONTANA VILLAGE, beer & wine to go, restaurant by the glass, Bear's Den Lounge. TAPOCO LODGE, near the Dragon and Moonshiner 28, beer, wine and mixed drinks (available for guests only)."

Robbinsville is the county seat of Graham County.

Google Maps view here.

Has anyone asked the hotel what the practical effect of this is for those who might want hang out in the parking lot swapping stories and partaking of adult beverages?

Has anyone asked the hotel what the practical effect of this is for those who might want hang out in the parking lot swapping stories and partaking of adult beverages?

I did ask a few months back and the hotel staff said they have not had a problem with enforcement on the property. Of course, Robbinsville has it's share of riders coming through, so we won't be the first to hang in the parking lot with a beverage. This does not mean we would be given permission if local authorities were asked, but they may look the other way since tourist dollars from groups like ours support them.

Joe Frickin' Friday
You either by your alcohol while on the way or you drink someplace where it's allowed in the town. I think we'll be ok if we have it at the hotel and such.

Any suggestions on where to pick some up on the way in? I'd hate to arrive at the hotel on Wednesday and then have to backtrack 20 miles to pick up some brewskies.

Lone_RT_rider

Any suggestions on where to pick some up on the way in? I'd hate to arrive at the hotel on Wednesday and then have to backtrack 20 miles to pick up some brewskies.

Dood...

Given your route in (Maybe?) I would stop in Marysville and pic something up. Then again, I might just maybe have homebrew... :)

Mitch%27s%20route%20to%20START-M.jpg

Shawn

I'll probably do a stop on the way from the east.. Coordinate with me and Shawn, maybe we can fly so you can buy!

START GROUP DINNER PLANS:

Where: LYNN'S PLACE

When: Saturday April, 26th

Time: 6:30 pm

Details:

- No reservations, no pre-payment

- The restaurant is closing to public at 6:00 and will re-open for us at 6:30 (please don't enter early so they can prepare)

- Normal wait service - order individually from full menu as you are waited on by staff

- Pay and tip individually

Addr:

237 East Main Street

Robbinsville, NC

828-479-9777

Walking Directions:

- RIGHT out of Microtel Robbinsville Parking (along Rodney Orr Bypass - South)

- Proceed 0.1 mi & turn RIGHT onto E Main St

- Proceed uphill 0.25 mi to Lynn's Place at top of hill on left.

i-4r4SFmj-S.jpg

i-8sC3w6c-S.jpg

They have a pretty sizable diner menu with daily specials. Sandwiches range from $4.69 to $7.49 and entree's from $10.99 to $18.99. Here are a few sample pics of their fare (no online menu available):

i-wzmQsDD-S.jpgi-HFjKS7J-S.jpgi-Z7GSq5p-S.jpg

I have finally gotten out of my lethargy and made a reservation. In for Thursday-Saturday.

So, now I'm officially IN!!!!!!!!

Lone_RT_rider

So my call to the probably Inn to cancel your reservation there worked! Awesome sir. We will send you off to that hot box they call Tejas with a bang!

Shawn

So my call to the probably Inn to cancel your reservation there worked! Awesome sir. We will send you off to that hot box they call Tejas with a bang!

Shawn

Friends like you... :wave::rofl:

Trying to work an "In" into my schedule. Of course, now I've done it with this post - the work Mojo Gods will find a way to scuttle my plans as has happened so many times before.

Still, getting out of the sand box is worth it to watch Mitch and Shawn oogle each other's motorcycles...

Lone_RT_rider
Still, getting out of the sand box is worth it to watch Mitch and Shawn oogle each other's motorcycles...

Eh, they all look the same.

SDC11703-L.jpg

Just made reservations at Skyline Village Inn in Spruce pine, NC for the Monday thru Thursday before. Do a little pre riding around the BRP area before heading down to Robbinsville.

Very, very bummed, but I've had to cancel my reservation and will be missing this one. And no, it's not because I found out it's a dry county!!!! Am doing the Loyal Goodson thing and will be looking after my dad (on the other side of NC) while my mom is travelling to a family wedding the following week; can't afford to be out of work two (very) long weekends in a row.

If anyone is similarly knocked out of START due to other obligations, I'm thinking of doing the RoadRunner long weekend touring thing at Snowshoe as my Constellation Prize. It's July 17 - 20 (about a month or so before Blues Brews & BBQ). The company at START would certainly be preferable, but this might be the next best thing. More info at www.touring-weekend.com -- no affiliation on my end, beyond being a subscriber to the magazine.

Just made reservations at Skyline Village Inn in Spruce pine, NC for the Monday thru Thursday before. Do a little pre riding around the BRP area before heading down to Robbinsville.

If you have a little time, cash, and hunger, I recommend you head up to Blowing Rock and enjoy a little din din at Bistro Roca.

Will, sorry to hear you won't make it, but it is unavoidable ... it it weren't ... there'd be a problem! ;) Perhaps Ill see you at Snowshoe WV in Aug for B5Q.

[/color] Reed]Still six weeks to go...

I am having trouble staying patient.

Me too!

Ok ... I have to say it again .. I think the clock is slow! ;-)

It's been a long, long winter.

Joe Frickin' Friday
the work Mojo Gods will find a way to scuttle my plans as has happened so many times before.

Hey, don't knock the Mojo Gods; they've been purty good to me. :grin:

Eh, they all look the same.

SDC11703-L.jpg

I have no idea what you're talking about.

2011-05-145-M.jpg

2011-05-169-M.jpg

IMG_0065-M.jpg

:grin:

Will, sorry to hear you won't make it, but it is unavoidable ... it it weren't ... there'd be a problem! ;) Perhaps Ill see you at Snowshoe WV in Aug for B5Q.

I'll be there, for sure. And speaking of unavoidable, if we can avoid waiting that long to ride &/or engage in a bit of out-on-the-town with the wimmens, that would also be most cool.

I didn't know that Aerostitch had rolled out a new country & western line to complement their existing post-industrial day-glo heavy metal Rust Never Sleeps standard gear -- so cool!

I didn't know that Aerostitch had rolled out a new country & western line to complement their existing post-industrial day-glo heavy metal Rust Never Sleeps standard gear -- so cool!

I picture them in the future riding matching 2025 Triple Black GS models...kinda Mad Max meets Village People :rofl:

If you have a little time, cash, and hunger, I recommend you head up to Blowing Rock and enjoy a little din din at Bistro Roca.

Remember a good meal at the Magic Mushroom during the last UN. :thumbsup::grin::wave:

Joe Frickin' Friday
Then they'd look like this:

Big-and-Little-Enos.jpg

I'll see your yellow hillbilly twins and raise you one pair:

IMG_0069-M.jpg

Then they'd look like this:

Big-and-Little-Enos.jpg

I'll see your yellow hillbilly twins and raise you one pair:

IMG_0069-M.jpg

My eyes, my eyes. :rofl:

Talk about a "pair". :dopeslap: That family tree doesn't branch.

Hey Mitch, I think Bernie can make you a good deal on a matching

Road Crafter Stitch.

Already broken in.

:grin:

I've ridden up and back a couple times in my mind...

really looking forward to this.

Archived