IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour 2012

Kinsley

Sure Sean

Come down to the hotel and meet everybody in the evening. Tall tales are being told in the parking lot. Normally people are out getting their bikes ready from 6:30-7am on to ride. Groups are normal 3-5 with a few bigger, they leave out all morning long. Download the routes if you have a GPS. Even thou you in the area Kens finds roads that locals don't know about!

Alan

Sadly I'm out. Was really looking forward to hitting the road Thursday morning and could REALLY use the break from real life. However, life reared its ugly head. Hope ya'll have a great and safe time. See you on the next one.

Sure Sean

Normally people are out getting their bikes ready from 6:30-7am on to ride.[/quote

Ha! I might look at the Alarm clock by then. This is VACATION for Petes sake! And no, I have no idea who Pete is. :D

Shawn

Sure Sean

Normally people are out getting their bikes ready from 6:30-7am on to ride.[/quote

Ha! I might look at the Alarm clock by then. This is VACATION for Petes sake! And no, I have no idea who Pete is. :D

Shawn

Yeah, now that we aren't hosting it makes sleeping till 8 seem less decadent!!

Sure Sean

Shawn

Yeah, now that we aren't hosting it makes sleeping till 8 seem less decadent!!

ohhhhhh, so we were supposed to get up and seem social in the mornings? Man.... I think we missed that part in the instructional booklet from El Paseao. :rofl:

Sadly I'm out. Was really looking forward to hitting the road Thursday morning and could REALLY use the break from real life. However, life reared its ugly head. Hope ya'll have a great and safe time. See you on the next one.

Sorry to hear that.

ohhhhhh, so we were supposed to get up and seem social in the mornings? Man.... I think we missed that part in the instructional booklet from El Paseao. :rofl:

There were instructions?

I'm glad that none of us are getting anxious for this...

Sure Sean

Shawn

Some early risers were looking for signs of the Blairsville Witch.

Just saying...

Road condition update for future FARTers as of 8/11:

Hwy. 276 from BRP north to bottom of hill toward Cruso (about 4 miles) covered in pea gravel, 20-25 mph tops (unless you're Mert Lawill).

Hwy. 215 from BRP north toward 276 has new pavement, no lines painted yet, but may have by early Oct. Not sure how far north, didn't ride it.

Bridge out on Macedonia Church Rd. (just east of church) which means no way to connect you-know-what road to another nice road that parallels it (how's that Ken, ok?). :wave: But, there is a GSable single track through the woods and across 4' wide homemade bridge to the other side (don't have to be Mert Lawill, but could help). :)

I just rode 215 today and it has not been paved north of the BRP and in fact is covered in loose gravel, so it's not much fun right now.

The Macedonia Church bridge has been repaired.

Paul Mihalka
Hey Gents,

Can I fall in? I live here in Cashiers

NC. let me know if you need anything.

Sean Ross

I know a Sean Ross from Maryland, friend of Jamie the technician, used to ride a R80GS. Are you that gent?

My wife will be celebrating a huge birthday milestone while we are there. She says no gifts please.....Just nothing smaller then $50's or $100's. :/

My wife will be celebrating a huge birthday milestone while we are there. She says no gifts please.....Just nothing smaller then $50's or $100's. :/

We're all going to play a Geocache birthday...we plant the gifts...you find them :rofl:

We're all going to play a Geocache birthday...we plant the gifts...you find them :rofl:

I need to remember that one...

Geez, let me clarify, SOME people are up early getting their bike ready, some are sleeping the night before off. If a certain mason jar makes it to the FART, some won't be up till noon!

Alan

Geez, let me clarify, SOME people are up early getting their bike ready, some are sleeping the night before off. If a certain mason jar makes it to the FART, some won't be up till noon!

Alan

And unfortunatly, some people will be stuck at home replacing the siding on their house.......booooo....hisssss. I'd much rather be FARTing around the NC mountains.

You kids have fun and ride safe

Alan

And unfortunatly, some people will be stuck at home replacing the siding on their house.......booooo....hisssss. I'd much rather be FARTing around the NC mountains.

You kids have fun and ride safe

And some will be stuck at work on mandatory overtime due to a shift change. Ride safe everyone! Post pictures so I can live vicariously through you

As for near future ... just getting antsy about next week! Will setting my clock ahead help?

Yeah, you can't post that too much for me. Funny video.

Do I sense.....sarcasm? :D

Sorry missed this post.

Answer ... No. I love the video!

Joe Frickin' Friday
Download the routes if you have a GPS. Even thou you in the area Kens finds roads that locals don't know about!

Alan

For anyone who had trouble digging back through this thread to find the link to the routes, here is that link again.

See you all in a few days. :thumbsup:

Just dug them up this morning. :thumbsup: Shooting for Harrisonburg Va tomorrow night, first real ride since July! Woohoo!! :clap:

Pat

Lone_RT_rider
Just dug them up this morning. :thumbsup: Shooting for Harrisonburg Va tomorrow night, first real ride since July! Woohoo!! :clap:

This is my first since RCR. But then again.... with the riding I have done this year I really dont have a lot to complain about. It's definitely quality over quantity. :D

Mitch.... that would have been handy LAST NIGHT! :rofl: Routes loaded and ready to go. Now how do I get to Maggie Valley from here? :dopeslap:

Shawn

Joe Frickin' Friday
Now how do I get to Maggie Valley from here? :dopeslap:

I hear I-26 is particularly scenic this time of year...

Lone_RT_rider
Now how do I get to Maggie Valley from here? :dopeslap:

I hear I-26 is particularly scenic this time of year...

LOL... dont laugh, but based on daylight and work schedule, thats the way I am headed in. Besides, I wouldnt want to miss Mexican night! MMmmmmmmmm.......grease and beans. Welcome to FART!

Alan

Hey, I may resemble that remark ... ;)

I'm heading out in the morning for Sparta, then down the BRP to Maggie Valley Tuesday morning. If anyone passes me, toot the horn and I'll follow along.

Looking forward to some color and fall riding. It's been one hot summer.

Lone_RT_rider

Alan

Hey, I may resemble that remark ... ;)

The first step is admitting...... :rofl:

me love you long time!!!

Leaving on the bike in the morning to work in Greenville, SC Tues afternoon and Weds...kind of proud of that planning! Planning to hook up with Shawn and Mitch in Greenville, and will be hitting Maggie Valley sometime Thursday afternoon.

Geez, I'm looking forward to this week!

Lone_RT_rider
Planning to hook up with Shawn and Mitch in Greenville

Oh yeah.... Hey Mitch, were having dinner with Christopher on Wednesday night. LOL.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Planning to hook up with Shawn and Mitch in Greenville

Oh yeah.... Hey Mitch, were having dinner with Christopher on Wednesday night. LOL.

Yeah, that was (good) news. :grin:

Installed new front tire last night, test ride checked out OK. Chance of rain tomorrow morning, but things should get better as I head south. Looking forward to it. It's a long slab-ride to Marysville, but after that, Deals Gap and highway 28 are always a breath of fresh air.

See you guys tomorrow! :thumbsup:

Lone_RT_rider
Chance of rain tomorrow morning, but things should get better as I head south.

So leave tonight and spend more time in the good stuff tomorrow. I hear there's a really good Red Roof inn near Lexington, KY. :thumbsup:

Yeah, it looks like I'll be in the rain today, but hey, we're BMW riders, right? The forecast for the rest of the week looks perfect though, so let's get to it!

I just hope noone else is wearing the same outfit as me. Last time, someone else showed up wearing a hi-viz jacket and black boots also. I was sooo embarassed.

-----

You all have NOOOOO idea how much I NEED this get together. :P Look forward to seeing you on Thursday!!!!

And as Shawn would say:

*HugZ* :wave:

You all have NOOOOO idea how much I NEED this get together. :P Look forward to seeing you on Thursday!!!!

And as Shawn would say:

*HugZ* :wave:

And how!!!

Quinn, I'll probably be in hi viz too, but I'm riding a GS so we won't match completely. Maybe you can tart up your ensemble with a faux mohawk?

I just hope noone else is wearing the same outfit as me. Last time, someone else showed up wearing a hi-viz jacket and black boots also. I was sooo embarassed.

-----

You didn't get that jacket dirty yet. You need to do some riding.

;)

Lone_RT_rider

-----

You didn't get that jacket dirty yet. You need to do some riding.

;)

All you need to do is go on a few Scouting runs for Ken Insley. My stich is FILTHY!

It's a long slab-ride to Marysville, but after that, Deals Gap and highway 28 are always a breath of fresh air.

See you guys tomorrow! :thumbsup:

I wish I had a bike that was comfortable to ride so I could head that way with you.

Weather forecast for Maggie has some fog tomorrow AM- we've had warm weather and a cold front is slowly moving in from the west.

Ths-Sun looks like low 40s to mid 40s in AM and highs in low 70s in PM but note that's for Maggie and if you climb out of town it will get cooler. Chances of some rain in the PM as is usual in mountains but all in all looks like some pretty nice riding in Western NC and surroundings for this event.

3 of us from Wilmington NC heading out on Ths AM- see you in there in the PM.

OK. Now it seems close!

Terri and I are leaving tomorrow night after work ... unfortunately later than we'd planned, but we're still leaving tomorrow.

See most of you all Thursday evening. Can't wait!

Well, the stars have aligned, so I'm IN. Will arrive Friday afternoon. Can't wait to see old and new friends. I need this trip worse than Shannon!!

Well, the stars have aligned, so I'm IN. Will arrive Friday afternoon. Can't wait to see old and new friends. I need this trip worse than Shannon!!

Awesome Jim, looking forward to seeing you again!

Ashley and I are rolling out late afternoon tomorrow, and while we were thinking of stopping in Savannah, I think we may just motor on up and see how far we get before we get tired of driving. I'm thinking we could be in Maggie Valley tomorrow evening...

Lunch, Tellico Plains bakery, Thursday 1pm, be there if you can!

I will be heading that way on thursday from Atlanta and look for you there.

We're rolling out tonight, trailering to start (Terri really isn't a fan of riding at night). Tomorrow morning we're dropping the truck and trailer off in a pre-arranged location and riding the rest of the way. It shortens the day Thurs significantly to allow us to do some fun riding on the way down.

We just gotta get through this last day of work!

Paul Mihalka

Getting closer! Writing this from the Super8 of Pratt TN. Branson MO tonight, Dover TN (Land between the Lakes) tomorrow, Friday I'll FART!

In Knoxville, TN tonight. May end up in Maggie Valley tonight but no reservation at the FART until Thursday night.

See you all soon! :clap:

Archived