IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour 2012

Kinsley

Much to my saddness, my wife Deb will not FART! I even tried to pull her finger, but no luck! If anyone is undecided about coming I could use a roommate. I have a room reserved for Thursday thru Sunday morning.

Alan

Much to my saddness, my wife Deb will not FART! I even tried to pull her finger, but no luck! If anyone is undecided about coming I could use a roommate. I have a room reserved for Thursday thru Sunday morning.

Alan

Boo!!! :(

Alan

Yeah, bummer. It's been a long time since we've seen her. Tell her we miss her.

I am so ready for this...

Ankle is pretty much ready; Tonight I'm going to do a full service on the bike and Saturday I'm putting on a new back tire.... We'll be there mid day Thursday!

Silly question, anybody looking for a roommate?

I have been dealing with a pinched nerve in my neck and other distractions, and might be cleared by the tower to make a run down to NC and FART.

Would love to see the group. Maybe get some refresher lessons on Riding Smart from instructor extraordiaire Shannie Mae.

Silly question, anybody looking for a roommate?

I have been dealing with a pinched nerve in my neck and other distractions, and might be cleared by the tower to make a run down to NC and FART.

Would love to see the group. Maybe get some refresher lessons on Riding Smart from instructor extraordiaire Shannie Mae.

Glad to hear Glenn, come on down!!

+1

I was hoping to have the GS ready, but but it looks like I'll be happily FARTing on a VFR.

VFR ... try to speak it as a word and it's perfect for a fast FART.

Alan

Booo boooo! :(

with that being said....

tick....tick.....tick

Given the elevations once you get out of Maggie you probably won't want mesh. Though it could still get to low 80s in the afteroon in the eastern lowlands of the state with high 70s more likely.

I'll have my "winter" 3/4 jacket and pants but without the insulating liner layer, only the wind stop. Will have the electric jacket in the sidecase.

Gloves will be th multi season touring, not the hot weather or winter ones..

It depends on what you're riding. An RT provides so much wind protection that mesh gear should be fine. Personally, even with mesh gear, I am uncomfortable on my RT at anything over 80°, and a mesh jacket (with layering) is fine down to about 45°. The FART area won't be seeing temperatures that low until well after the rally.

Early morning temps will probably be 50s at higher altitudes and afternoon temps in 70s. We don't have a drought in this part of the world but we haven't had any excess of rain either- but morning fogs are possible in the fall

+1

I was hoping to have the GS ready, but but it looks like I'll be happily FARTing on a VFR.

Nothin' wrong with that! (I sometimes miss my little red baby!)

It depends on what you're riding. An RT provides so much wind protection that mesh gear should be fine. Personally, even with mesh gear, I am uncomfortable on my RT at anything over 80°, and a mesh jacket (with layering) is fine down to about 45°. The FART area won't be seeing temperatures that low until well after the rally.

If it is really cold then ice shuts roads, next issue fog at elevation.

So sometimes waiting is prudent, and then it warms up enough for mesh.

Carry layers and rain gear, that most likely for me.

But if it looks like steady rain I may revamp plan.

Just checked 10 day forecast.

40's to 70's in Maggie so colder at elevation.

Prolly go textile, BUT, I'll have upper 80's and possible 90's for

2/3's of ride coming/going.

Perpetual problem riding north.

:dopeslap:

Comfort in mountains or the 850 mile round trip miles...

I found the simple solution to that on December of 2004. :)

Not all of us know that story ... do share!

Not all of us know that story ... do share!

That would be when I ejected from Michigan juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust before the housing crash happened in 2005/6/7/8/9. After a short layover in VA (Lynchburg AKA Jerry's town) I managed to put down roots here in the Greenville, SC area and have never looked back. Shhhhhhhhhhh.... dont tell anyone, but Greenville is an oasis in the South and a GREAT place to live! :)

It doesn't hurt that its 30 minutes from the start of some of the best riding east of the Mississippi either. :D

Shawn

Oh! I thought this was a reference to a riding story in the snow. 30 minutes from exceptional riding, eh? Fine ... rub it in!

Weren't you looking to relocate to this area at one point? :grin:

As for near future ... just getting antsy about next week! Will setting my clock ahead help?

Yeah, you can't post that too much for me. Funny video.

With regrets, out.

They advise room already filled when I cancelled this morning.

Was so looking forward to this.

Y'all have a great time.

With regrets, out.

Y'all have a great time.

Bummer Tim, you guys be well.

With regrets, out.

Y'all have a great time.

Boo!! :(

Hope you are feeling ok Tim. Would very much like to have seen you this trip.

With regrets, out.

Y'all have a great time.

Boo!! :(

Hope you are feeling ok Tim. Would very much like to have seen you this trip.

+1 Don't make me come down there :cry:

Thanks folks.

Not me for a change.

Although I'm still building up riding miles. :P

Megan's due date moved up 2 weeks and I'm not sure I want to be 9 hours away next weekend.

Have a blast, maybe both Beth and I will get to Hell n back II.

:wave:

In anticipation of a great FART, I decided to come to MV this weekend, so here's an update.

The hotel and Hurley's Restaurant are ready for us.

I noticed a Billiard place just south of Hurley's if anyone has interest.

There's a breakfast place across the street if what the hotel offers is not enough.

The leaves are falling at the higher elevations, so be careful, especially if they're wet.

Leaf peepers are out, so keep a sharper eye on opposing traffic and u-turners, especially with Florida plates.

Several of the FART routes have a road that runs parallel to 74 headed towards Sylva. There are "Road Closed" signs, but I ignored them and found the road was not closed, but it looks as if a bridge may be damaged and about to be worked on. Local traffic was using it, so it may or may not be an issue when you're FARTing.

Be prepared for cold mornings..I didn't bring my Gerbings :dopeslap:

I had no idea that my florida plates were bad. :rofl:

I knew I could bate someone into a Florida defense...it was just a matter of who :rofl:

Of Course, I meant the 4 wheelers and the occasional 3 wheeler. :clap:

spent 20 years as a Gwinnett resident, looks a WHOLE lot different in Gwinnett county these days than it did in the 70s & 80's, 200+ gangs, MS13 etc. sad

hijack off

Hey are you coming down next weekend, I hope to be in the area FFFARTing around on some ffforest roads and would like some company, big bike friendly of course.

As for near future ... just getting antsy about next week! Will setting my clock ahead help?

Yeah, you can't post that too much for me. Funny video.

Do I sense.....sarcasm? :D

Megan's due date moved up 2 weeks and I'm not sure I want to be 9 hours away next weekend.

And that's the best reason I can think of for canceling. Enjoy you two... :)

We will miss you though.

Shawn

Archived