IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour 2012

Kinsley

In-- I wonder what the secret hand shake will sound like??
The secret handshake is a hand waved briskly in front of one's face while turning slightly to one side and saying "whew!" or "whoa!", preferably with your eyes watering (an advanced maneuver - experts only please) and your nose wrinkled up.

Sadly, considering the vast experience I have, I will not be able to FART in NC. I hope to do some sympathy FARTing from afar, though.

Also, I suggest all involved remember to eat plenty of fiber during the ride, beans, broccoli, etc. Then draw straws to see who gets to lead. :clap: Enjoy the ride, all.

Hi all.

It's been awhile since I've been to a BMWST shindig. Booked into the Meadowlark Motel down the street. Right in front of The Wheels through Time museum. Is anyone planning a group tour there? A bunch of us went during one of the El Paseo gatherings and Dale gave us an outstanding tour. Something to think about.

Looking forward to seeing some old friends and making a few new ones.

Bill, regarding Macedonia, what about the next road heading west just north of the gas station? I've taken that before, but it's not nearly as much fun.

Tanassee Gap is probably good now (doubt they'd cut off access on both at the same time) but around 2 years ago I took Pressley Fields over (dirt cutoff from 215) and a bridge was out then at that intersection. As I recall Tanassee Gap is all paved now?

Another option is to double back from the top of you-know-what road (or just ride it south) and take Diamond Creek over to parallel road ( :grin: ), the bottom 2.5 miles are dirt (one lane hard pack) but very scenic with canopy and some steep dropoff. Or just go around to it on 64, I'd sort of forgotton how great the bottom quarter of that road is (up to the store).

Shawn, I am thinking Pat was trying to convey that the GT was feeling jealous since the GS went out to the UN, not that you were jealous that Pat has the GT.

I think Shawn just likes to tease me about my slightly over weight girl but Glenn, yes, that's exactly what I meant to say. :thumbsup:

Pat

Road condition update for future FARTers as of 8/11:

Hwy. 276 from BRP north to bottom of hill toward Cruso (about 4 miles) covered in pea gravel, 20-25 mph tops (unless you're Mert Lawill).

Hwy. 215 from BRP north toward 276 has new pavement, no lines painted yet, but may have by early Oct. Not sure how far north, didn't ride it.

Bridge out on Macedonia Church Rd. (just east of church) which means no way to connect you-know-what road to another nice road that parallels it (how's that Ken, ok?). :wave: But, there is a GSable single track through the woods and across 4' wide homemade bridge to the other side (don't have to be Mert Lawill, but could help). :)

I really do need to go east someday.

Road condition update for future FARTers as of 8/11:

Hwy. 276 from BRP north to bottom of hill toward Cruso (about 4 miles) covered in pea gravel, 20-25 mph tops (unless you're Mert Lawill).

Hwy. 215 from BRP north toward 276 has new pavement, no lines painted yet, but may have by early Oct. Not sure how far north, didn't ride it.

Bridge out on Macedonia Church Rd. (just east of church) which means no way to connect you-know-what road to another nice road that parallels it (how's that Ken, ok?). :wave: But, there is a GSable single track through the woods and across 4' wide homemade bridge to the other side (don't have to be Mert Lawill, but could help). :)

I really do need to go east someday.

You will not want to leave...there is no better concentration of great technical roads in the US. :thumbsup:

You will not want to leave...there is no better concentration of great technical roads in the US.

I have actually ridden as far east as Ft. Walton. But that was boring. I rode out there to participate in a regatta.

I do love going to Arkansas.

Tanassee Gap road was paved back in April.

I thought so last time I was on it, thanks Bernie. Maybe about ten years ago the middle part over the ridge wasn't.

Hi all.

It's been awhile since I've been to a BMWST shindig. Booked into the Meadowlark Motel down the street. Right in front of The Wheels through Time museum. Is anyone planning a group tour there? A bunch of us went during one of the El Paseo gatherings and Dale gave us an outstanding tour. Something to think about.

Looking forward to seeing some old friends and making a few new ones.

Hi Dave, It has indeed been a while. I think the last event you could attend was my first (just after re-entering riding) ... MAYhem 2007 (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, glad to see you back!

BTW: I know there have been several trips to WTT during several some of the BRR events (2008-2011), but usually only in smallish groups. Perhaps someone can better elaborate.

In-- I wonder what the secret hand shake will sound like??
The secret handshake is a hand waved briskly in front of one's face while turning slightly to one side and saying "whew!" or "whoa!", preferably with your eyes watering (an advanced maneuver - experts only please) and your nose wrinkled up.

Sadly, considering the vast experience I have, I will not be able to FART in NC. I hope to do some sympathy FARTing from afar, though.

Also, I suggest all involved remember to eat plenty of fiber during the ride, beans, broccoli, etc. Then draw straws to see who gets to lead. :clap: Enjoy the ride, all.

I'm more and more glad that I don't share rooms at these things .... :rofl:

So, I'm VERY excited about the FART. However, I'm starting to get nervous. Now in another thread on this board, one phone conversation and one facebook conversation where the FART was mentioned I have received basically the same response. Hope you have GPS and good tires for the "Ken routes". Followed by a response of..Just don't try to keep up, ride your ride, Ken will be back at the hotel waiting for you.

Sounds like this trip is going to be GREAT!

So, I'm VERY excited about the FART. However, I'm starting to get nervous. Now in another thread on this board, one phone conversation and one facebook conversation where the FART was mentioned I have received basically the same response. Hope you have GPS and good tires for the "Ken routes". Followed by a response of..Just don't try to keep up, ride your ride, Ken will be back at the hotel waiting for you.

It is true that you will need a GPS for the routes I provide unless you follow someone with them loaded (correctly), but you don't have to ride those routes.

You will also need more tire tread than you think. Many people have shown up with what they thought were good tires only to find themselves shopping on a Saturday just to be bale to make the trip home. :dopeslap:

I see my reputation is now faster than I am :rofl:

Since I’m not staying at the designated motel I’m not sure “IN” is appropriate however

I will be in the area during the designated time frame. So for lack of a better term I’m

“IN” at the INN. :grin:

Since I’m not staying at the designated motel I’m not sure “IN” is appropriate however

I will be in the area during the designated time frame. So for lack of a better term I’m

I definitely qualify that as IN! If we can't find you I know where to look... :lurk: (remove popcorn..insert beer)

I definitely qualify that as IN! If we can't find you I know where to look... :lurk: (remove popcorn..insert beer)

:thumbsup:

It's not like we don't know that bar...

Lone_RT_rider

It's not like we don't know that bar...

I'm glad you said it. :rofl:

Is anyone else getting a bit antsy about this event? :)

Locals are looking forward to the fall bike season there I think...

286157869_aYMBe-M.jpg

Lone_RT_rider
Is anyone else getting a bit antsy about this event? :)

Locals are looking forward to the fall bike season there I think...

286157869_aYMBe-M.jpg

Did you just stop by for a quick one Matt? Rooms by the hour? LOL

Did you just stop by for a quick one Matt? Rooms by the hour? LOL

LOL!

I'm not taking all this brace and stuff off my leg for just an hour...

That little tidbit was down the road during the first BRR...

It is true that you will need a GPS for the routes I provide unless you follow someone with them loaded (correctly), but you don't have to ride those routes.

And even if you have a GPS, it's a good idea to ride with a group that has two GPSs loaded.

A few years ago I was leading two others on one of Ken's routes in the very area being discussed by Bill/Bernie/Ken (going north one the you-know-what-road and on to others) when my GPS died. Completely TU. RT_Jim hadn't had the opportunity to load the route and our other rider didn't have a GPS. Finding a paved road out of that area without experience riding there was ... well, timeconsuming! I was riding 2-up on an RT and the dirt roads were often treacherous.

That's why it's wise to have more than one GPS loaded when riding through there or be completely ready to ride some "exciting" dirt roads.

Bill, regarding Macedonia, what about the next road heading west just north of the gas station? I've taken that before, but it's not nearly as much fun.

Tanassee Gap is probably good now (doubt they'd cut off access on both at the same time) but around 2 years ago I took Pressley Fields over (dirt cutoff from 215) and a bridge was out then at that intersection. As I recall Tanassee Gap is all paved now?

Another option is to double back from the top of you-know-what road (or just ride it south) and take Diamond Creek over to parallel road ( :grin: ), the bottom 2.5 miles are dirt (one lane hard pack) but very scenic with canopy and some steep dropoff. Or just go around to it on 64, I'd sort of forgotton how great the bottom quarter of that road is (up to the store).

I can't wait to get back in an play around in this area! Also, thanks for the info on 215 north of the BRP. I loved that road even when the pavement sucked.

Hi Fellow FARTers,

We've arranged to have our Saturday night dinner at Hurley's (http://hurleysmaggievalley.com) next door to FART headquarters at 6:30.

The price is $17.25 Per person and Taxes ARE included in this price! Gratuity is NOT included.

We will be responsible for paying our own tabs to Hurley's the night of the dinner instead of paying in advance.

The following is a list of dinner choices that DO NOT need to be chosen in advance. 

1)

6oz. Prime Rib

Tender & Juicy prime Rib prepared to your liking and served with our delicious au jus

Served with One Side and House Salad 

2)

Hurley's Chicken

Our marinated chicken breast char-grilled & topped with mixed cheese, bacon, mushrooms & honey mustard

Served with One Side and House Salad

3)

North Atlantic White Cod

Lean, firm white filet of cod with a mild flavor, prepared either broiled OR light hand breaded & fried

Served with two sides 

4)

Eggplant Parmesan

Served with a house salad.

All of the above Includes soft drinks with refills (Coca Cola Products, Iced Tea, Hot Tea or Coffee).

Juices, Hot Chocolate & Milk do not have free refills.

Currently, there is no plan for a Friday night cookout, so we will be on our own.

There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance and Hurley's has plenty of menu choices as well as a nice bar and outdoor area by the creek as well as entertainment.

Lone_RT_rider
Hi Fellow FARTers,

We've arranged to have our Saturday night dinner at Hurley's (http://hurleysmaggievalley.com) next door to FART headquarters at 6:30.

What? No Mexican joint down the street?!?! Oh the humanity! No, really, that's a lot more humane than the mexican place. :rofl:

Shawn

Hi Fellow FARTers,

What? No Mexican joint down the street?!?! Oh the humanity! No, really, that's a lot more humane than the mexican place. :rofl:

Shawn

Yeah, cause calling that joint down the street a Mexican place is an insult to Mexican food!

Lone_RT_rider
Hi Fellow FARTers,

Shawn

Yeah, cause calling that joint down the street a Mexican place is an insult to Mexican food!

It has sauce, there are beans, what more do you want? :rofl:

Hi Fellow FARTers,

Shawn

It has sauce, there are beans, what more do you want? :rofl:

A great F.A.R.T.! That's what!
Walking distance - that's a big plus! Thanks for all your hard work Ken. :thumbsup:

Yes, proximity to food was a major deciding factor for our location.

Besides, after FARTing all day who has the Gas to get geared up to go to dinner :dopeslap:

Lone_RT_rider
Besides, after FARTing all day who has the Gas to get geared up to go to dinner :dopeslap:

And that's why you go to the Mexican joint! :) You have to get a refill. :rofl:

I will be there but I'm trusting Ken or someone to come up with something better than FART 2012 on a shirt.

Terry

T-shirt idea.

FARTtcompare2.jpg[/img]

I will be there but I'm trusting Ken or someone to come up with something better than FART 2012 on a shirt.

Terry

T-shirt idea.

FARTtcompare2.jpg[/img]

Maybe a little puff of "smoke" out of the tailpipe????

Archived