IGNORED

Moto Guzzi V7 Sport a Restoration of Love

Knifemaker

Sorry dude but next week is August and vacation time in Italy. We all know that in August, no work on Italian vehicles is allowed.

Union rules.

Thanks for reminding us, Tallman. This means that Knifemaker does not any more excuses why he can't show up at the UnRally. :rofl::wave:

Please buy him a beer and send me the bill.

Heck, get Danny one too.

Be thinking of y'all.

Saturday August 6....

Today did not start off real well...After making the decission to go ahead and put on the front forks I noticed a real big problem....

The accident this bike was in also (I'm guessing)snapped the steering stop off the frame... Problem when you make a turn (if it's tight) the handlebars will be putting BIG DENTS in the gas tank... No way I am going to allow this to happen after all this work !!!!

So first thing this morning I have to completely dis-assemble the upper frame and triple tree assembly and remove it so I can make a steering stop and weld it to the frame...

Just behind the bearing NO STOP...

V7724-100sts-M.jpg

Making sure the angle of the new steering stop has the same angle of the neck to the fork tubes (27 degrees)...

V7724-101sts-M.jpg

Next...Test placement of the steering stop in relation to the stops on the triple trees...

V7724-102sts-M.jpg

Removing the paint from the old steering stop base for a good weld...

V7724-105sts-M.jpg

Covering the frame so I won't screw up the paint. Just like covering up for an operation...

V7724-106sts-M.jpg

Ok, now for a little heat... WATCH YOUR EYES !!!!!

V7724-104sts-M.jpg

Operation sucessful....new steering stop welded in....

V7724-151sts-M.jpg

Clean up the steering stop, repaint areas that got a little hot, and install all electrics (this time before I put the upper frame back on the lower frame)...

Coils installed....

V7724-152sts-M.jpg

Rectifier installed.....

V7724-153sts-M.jpg

Another view of installed electrics....

V7724-156sts-M.jpg

Fuse Box installed.....

V7724-155sts-M.jpg

Now the up-grade is installed.... Electronic inigition....

Dyna Iginition Box installed....

V7724-154sts-M.jpg

Notice the small hole on the distributor...That is where the old condensers were attached...Note to myself...PUT MOUNT SCREW IN HOLE.... :grin:

Triple Tree installed, Forks installed, sliders and new fork seals installed, fork dampner installed, Steering dampner installed, new oil in forks added, Gauge Cluster installed, Headlight Ears (not correct ones) (still waiting for the Italians to ship some) installed, and Handlebars installed... basicly the entire front suspension is now COMPLETE...

V7724-158sts-M.jpg

Now in the morning maybe I can complete what I wanted to accomplish today.....Install the wiring harness....AND WAIT.....for the chromers to ship my parts....With the parts from the chromer the V7 Sport will be completely finished except for the exhaust system.... STILL WAITING ON THE DA&%^*&N ITALIANS !!!! :mad:

Naw,,,, I'm not upset...The restoration is really ahead of where I really thought I would be right now...

UNtil the next post....I hope you are enjoying this....

Firefight911

UNtil the next post....I hope you are enjoying this....

You are somewhat understated in your words, no?

H E Double Hockey Sticks YES we are enjoying this!!!!!!!

UNtil the next post

Good pickup.... Phil.....That was my way of saying I wish I was with my ridding buddies from this board right now in "Lil Switzerland"..... :cry:

P.S. I never did post how much I like your new Yamaha....I hope you are enjoying it and it gives you miles of smiles far into the future.

you know having 3 hands (pic#2) is cheating the rest of us have to deal with working with just 2 to hold all the widgets and tools...no wonder you are ahead of schedule. Keep up the great work it looks great as always!

will you cover the steering "stop" with a rubber bumper of some sort???

Good question...I haven't thought about yet....Good idea though...

you know having 3 hands (pic#2) is cheating the rest of us have to deal with working with just 2 to hold all the widgets and tools

Shoot I just knew I would get caught some day :eek:

Yes I am from a different planet....Steeling all your junk motorcycles to repair.....

That's my buddy Curtis making sure the angles are correct...I can not read anything that small...

August 11 Thursday........

CHROME IS HERE !!!!!!

About time!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Yeah, I waited UNtil the next post...

Yeah, I waited UNtil the next post...

Glad to see you guys are back in J'ville safe and sound...I know you had a great time. Get some rest there's an un-finished project at Casa Sturgis to finish :lurk:

With the parts from the chromer the V7 Sport will be completely finished except for the exhaust system.... STILL WAITING ON THE DA&%^*&N ITALIANS !!!!

Don't need no stinking exhaust system, just put on some straight pipes. :wave:

August 13 Saturday....

As I announced on my last post the chrome is here...Well yes and no...Chromer called and said he shipped most of the chrome but one item had blistered and would have to be re-chromed and one item was in to bad of shape to chrome....After inspection of the parts chrome work is beautiful...I guess the blisterd part was one of the shock adjuster bases cux I only got one....

Bad parts... the headlight casing...Enough pits to look like a USED MINE FIELD....

V81411-008sts-M.jpg

My next step with the headlight casing is to apply a coat of Marine Tex all over the casing after getting it down to bare metal let it dry and sand it out smooth and hopefully I will get a surface smooth enough to possibly paint the headlight shell black.

With the rest of the parts I was able to get a few things done this weekend. Note to all... Chroming will make things THICKER thus making it harder to put things back in the little holes.....You need a day or so (depending how many parts you have) to shave them down by hook or crook to a size to be able to make them fit again. Case in question...The axles. What a pin in the @ss it was getting those to fit again....

One thing I re-manufactured that I am quite proud of was the shift linkage....The old shift linkage is REALLY chessy and made the transmission "clunk" between shifts because of the sloppyness of the linkage.....

The old shift linkage:

V81411-015sts-M.jpg

My new Bill Jones shift linkage installed on the bike. Need to make a couple fine adjustments but the shifting now appears to be smoother between shifts....

V81411-018sts-M.jpg

Final Drive and right rear shock installed...

V81411-020sts-M.jpg

Rear wheel and brakes installed...

V81411-030sts-M.jpg

Front fender assembly installed...

V81411-011sts-M.jpg

Front wheel a brakes installed.....

V81411-036sts-M.jpg

Starting to look like a motorcycle...

V81411-046sts-M.jpg

Next I am going to work on finalizing wiring....

My wiring diagram exploded to 3 foot X 4 foot....

V81411-010sts-M.jpg

Wish me luck....Until the next post..............

Luck...

good luck w/that headlight, I guess black is the best option now?

Wonder how lexan/plexi would look letting you see the innards?

Nah...

Hang in there, I hear a Guzzi cranking soon.

:wave:

August 13 Saturday....

As I announced on my last post the chrome is here...Well yes and no...Chromer called and said he shipped most of the chrome but one item had blistered and would have to be re-chromed and one item was in to bad of shape to chrome....After inspection of the parts chrome work is beautiful...I guess the blisterd part was one of the shock adjuster bases cux I only got one....

Bad parts... the headlight casing...Enough pits to look like a USED MINE FIELD....

V81411-008sts-M.jpg

My next step with the headlight casing is to apply a coat of Marine Tex all over the casing after getting it down to bare metal let it dry and sand it out smooth and hopefully I will get a surface smooth enough to possibly paint the headlight shell black.

Powder coating will fill those pits. I've done rims with pitting just as bad or worse and they've come out smooth. If you want chrome, there's a chrome pc that looks so good it's difficult to tell from real chrome.

One of the tricks I have used for pitting before is an old hobby shop trick. Go to a model airplane hobby shop, buy some 5 minute epoxy mix, get a bottle of micro-balloons, and mix it in a throw away cup to a consistency thick enough to fill, but thin enough to spread. It will dry hard as heck and can be sanded smooth. It is also paintable.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=micro+balloon&search=Go

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=epoxy&search=Go

I'd just roll that bike into my den so I could just look at it.

Been looking at it for months now...wanna ride it !!!

Debbie would not put up with it in the house dagnabit....

V81411-008sts-M.jpg

Have you considered Metal Spraying to build the material back up to a good thickness that can be re-finished and chromed?

Andy

I'd just roll that bike into my den so I could just look at it.

Been looking at it for months now...wanna ride it !!!

Debbie would not put up with it in the house dagnabit....

Whe we bought our first house, we did not think to look under all the rugs. When we finally moved in, we found an obvious oil stain on the floor in the living room. We were told that a previous owner (not the ones we bought from) would bring his motorcycle in to work on, and this was one of the results.

We put down our own rug and it was once again covered up.

I would think from time to time what it must have been like to actually have a bike in the living room, but I couldn't really wrap my mind around it.

When reassembling my transmission, I at least waited until my wife was out of the house before I put the transmission housings in the oven.

Guilty on ALL accounts...1st time my mom came home and I had the motor of my CB500 4 in the living room ....She just could not understand that when I put the keepers in the valve springs if they flew out I might be able to find them in the living room but not outside...... :dopeslap:

Lone_RT_rider

Awesome news Bill! :) Once this thing is done, I think I need a weekend in Jax to say hello to old friends and see this thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Tuesday September 6th

I want to apologize for the long delay in posts but the reality of motorcycle restorations is time. Things that normally would take tou minutes to complete on restorations often take more than hours sometimes days.

So where am I?

I am so close to finishing that any little set back (and there are many) draws times of complete frustration.As some of you know my start time was going to be Saturday the 4th well I was in the shop at 5:00 am and left at 12:30 am Sunday morning after finally firing the motor off. One set back after another delayed the start up. Sorry Matt, I really was hoping to fire it off for you but you know I was working hard.

Here are a few of the "minor" set backs... No rear brake switch...had to fabricate one to fint in a very tiny space took hours to calibrate the spring to activate the brake light correctly...Front brake light DOA order another...Part missing to the throttle cable housing had to fabricate another...Rebuild of the wiring harness forgot the blinker circuits...Re-threading the stems on the blinkers so they would screw into the older housings...The new electronic iginition 180 degrees out of time remove and re-time...re-locating gas line that originally did not have fuel filters installed sounds simple but not much room to do it in without kinking gas lines....Understanding Italian electrical wiring...Finding electrical shorts causing me to replace several fuses...Clutch cable not activating clutch...Brake cables that were ordered in by part number and too short... And many more "minor problems"

Hopefully the last of the minor problems are over with after finding where my electrical short was...In the headlight assembly !!!

All that is left now in finalizing the wiring of the headlight...replacing a nut on the rear clutch assembly...cleaning up the wiring harness and wire tying it to the frame...adjusting the front and rear brakes...and putting the gas lines on the tank...and any other thing that might stick its ugly head up....

This coming Saturday is my date to have the bike COMPLETED...I wish to thank all of you for your patience with me and all your responces to this posting...

The next pictures will be of the FINISHED PROJECT...I hope you will enjoy them as much as I have enjoyed having you with me on this journey...

Bill

Archived