IGNORED

Moto Guzzi V7 Sport a Restoration of Love

Knifemaker

Good luck, that place shuts down for 2 month every year.

Seems more like a year for every 2 months... :eek:

All kidding aside, I really appreciate you being open with your tips on how to clean , what tools you use and everything else. I feel like I need to tell how I do my favorite card trick... Nah , never... :P

Paul Mihalka
Good luck, that place shuts down for 2 month every year.

Seems more like a year for every 2 months... :eek:

Yup, the more things change, the more they stay the same. 1972: Signed up for a Euro tour and bought and paid for the new beautiful magnificent MG V7 Sport. Tour in September, arrive in Europe, no V7 Sport - didn't make it yet. Got BMW R75/5.

Got BMW R75/5.

Hey Paul...Come on down to Florida and help me restore my R75/5 even better yet help me get all the parts I need 1/2 off price.... :rofl:..... :cry:

Hello every one Im new to this forum, in fact new to any forum.The reason of interest is that I just receive this past sunday a 1973 V7 sport serial # VK 33102 that need also a complete restoration so bill I really appreciate your imput.By the way I am in to BMW also currently owning a R 90S 1976

1973 V7 sport serial # VK 33102

Welcome denis g.....Fill in a little more info on your profile so we can get to know ya a little better...Like where ya from?

If I can help you at all on your "project" give me a shout or PM me and I will see what I can do...

I have a little restoration experience and I would be happy to give you information as needed...By the way your serial # is real close to mine....Post some pictures of your V7 so we can see the starting point....

Here are a couple of my restorations....

509212150_FdVgh-S.jpg

1200343225_4Kyn3-S.jpg

530069514_fFeHP-S.jpg

805500702_c4irS-S.jpg

716116625_owG6L-S.jpg

There are some REAL GOOD FOLKS on this board and I know we all welcome you !!!!! :grin::clap:

Wow, Bill, that Guzzi is looking good!

Thanks Sharon....I'm hoping one day it might be (in Tom's words) worthy enough to ride side by side with your BABY... :grin:

Thank you so much for welcoming me.I am 57,buis. consultant with wife Sylvie and 3 sons,Jean-Francois 24-Alex 26-Patrick 28.We live in Prevost Quebec about 30 miles north of Montreal.For sometimes being gathering 60s & 70S bikes for retoration but I must say Bill that it is you who convinced me to jump in the V7 adventure.I always loved that model and what it represents but was afraid that it would be over my capacity (among other tings it is also missing CEV headlight assy. and upper instrument panel with indicator lights).As for the pictures i tried but being no good with computers and it says it has to pass to http-what?so will send them to your website and will seek for computer 101.Finally being french quebecquer please excuse my "spailling mis-steaks"

must say Bill that it is you who convinced me to jump in the V7 adventure

Sir, I am humbled by your statement and I thank you. This is the reason I do this...

Anyone out there in cyber land....If you got an old bike that needs restoration by all means JUMP IN IT and do it...These old bikes deserve it

If you can't or don't want to PM me and I will try and locate a home for these old guys with someone who could do the restoration...

Look on ebay the are some moto guzzis (few) that share the same parts...The headlight is a differant story...Only the Benelli 650 Tornado shared the same headlight...The wiring for the headlight has 4 terminals that connect to both the inside and the outside of the shell at the individual terminals...This is the ONLY wiring inside the shell of the headlight.

Do you have the headlight mounting ears?

I wish you all the luck on your project....

Are we done yet??????

:)

Jeez Tom, he's already humpin' the monkey as fast as he can. Keep yer pants on. :grin:

humpin' the monkey as fast as he can. Keep yer pants on.

Humpin' the monkey as fast as I can... :S not sure what that means but please Tom do keep your pants on...Love ya man...but I don't need that picture in my head.... :thumbsup:

Hello Bill,tried yesterday to send pictures= did not work,will try again this evening under competent supervision.

I do have only the rignt hand side headlight mounting bracket,it is cast so i assume that it is the correct one.On the plus side it came with brand new in the box complete NOS Silentium exhaust syst.-new complete seat-a spare set of lower fork legs and the Borranis CROSS.

Here are a few pictures,hoping it will work and I would appreciate your opinions

v7-1.jpg

v7-2.jpg

you can also look at my Norton VR880 currently listed on Ebay.it is actually the stablemate of the V7

Nice place to start. FWIW, the arms on the brake are about where they need to be. They should hit 90º at point of contact. So, being at a bit of an angle is where you like to start.

Good luck!

Tom

5676.jpg.cc88574f7ec0b4cb681fbc3f9cb0f87f.jpg

Thanks Tom,for now on I intend to gather the missing parts prior to the restoration,for instance I am concern of the availability of the indicator lights bracket (part# 14 76 91 00) wich is specific to this model so if anyone has an idea!!!Next would be the Bosh alternator (missing-same as my R90S I believe),wiring harness and electrics.fix the bent swanneck handlebars (fill then with quartz-silliciun sand and heat them & rechrome???)

I am amazed by the openneness of the members of this forum and thank you all for the sharing of your cumulative expertise

Saturday July 23....

HOT HOT HOT...I'm Melting...in the shop...

Let's start putting this bike puzzle back to one piece....

Lower frame rails attached to motor....

V7SR-087sts-M.jpg

Next let's fight with the center stand....

V7SR-090sts-M.jpg

Little hint if you ever have to re-attach large springs put the spring in a vice, bend the spring, and place coins between the spring slots until you get the spring length you need then attach the springs and remove the coins.... :thumbsup:

Attached Springs on the center stand....

V7SR-092sts-M.jpg

New vent lines run to the valve covers, engine, breather, and transmission....

V7SR-098sts-M.jpg

Going to a baseball game tonight so I leave early today and break my rules for Sunday.....New tire installation...

roadscholar

V7SR-082sts-M.jpg

This brown device in the in the upper right corner...the most important tool for any restoration.

Bill, it's looking great so far :thumbsup:.

This brown device in the in the upper right corner...the most important tool for any restoration.

No truer words ever spoken..........

My brown device isn't quite that thick though...

Little hint if you ever have to re-attach large springs put the spring in a vice, bend the spring, and place coins between the spring slots until you get the spring length you need then attach the springs and remove the coins.... :thumbsup:

Ha, Ha, that is an old Harley side stand spring attaching trick... had forgotten about that one.

Thanks for taking us along on your journey. I'm loving it.

Sunday July 24....

FRAME on.....a new sport....

Today was a busy day worked longer than normal but I did cut Friday night and Saturday afternoon a bit short so I had to make up a little time.....

First thing I did as in every Sunday morning is shop cleanup and boy did it need a clean up had a hunk a metal fall and crush a full gallon jug of old oil what a mess !!!!

Oh well...back to work...After realizing the hardware store did not have any 10mm X 35mm bolts just 30mm and 40mm I had to take the grinder with a cut of wheel on it and cut down 6 bolts so I could attach the mainfolds to the heads...Operation is easy if you lock down 2 nuts on the bolt to the length you need and cut off the rest....

V7724-020sts-M.jpg

I made the decision to paint the manifolds a gloss black so they would add a little visual depth to the motor when the carbs were put on....

What do you think?

V7724-006sts-M.jpg

V7724-022sts-M.jpg

Then I went to Cycle Gear to pick up new tubes and rim bands...

Went to Danny Wade's (Huzband) house and we had a tire changing party...Hard to understand but the 37 year old front tire was easier to remove than the newer rear tire...After a lot of sweat the V7 has a new set of Parelli Sport Demon paws....Thanks again Danny my friend....

Back to the shop....What did I do next? :lurk: Busy day let's see manifolds, dampner rod, tires,clean up....Oh yea... you saw a sneak preview in previous pics....THE FRAME IS ON....Starting to looke like a motorcycle....

Here are a few pic from different angles of the frame....

V7724-001sts-M.jpg

V7724-004-M.jpg

V7724-003sts-M.jpg

Back to Front...

V7724-007sts-M.jpg

Looking through to the Tranny...

V7724-010sts-M.jpg

Looking down to the motor...

V7724-011sts-M.jpg

Front with motor...

V7724-012sts-M.jpg

Triple Trees back........

V7724-002sts-M.jpg

Well that's all for to day....Tom...I hope I am making a little progress for you...... :wave:

that is an old Harley side stand spring attaching trick... had forgotten about that one.

Old tricks never die... they are sometimes just forgotten until the need returns.....

Thanks for taking us along on your journey. I'm loving it.

I'm loving it too.....both the journey and the sharing of it...

My brown device isn't quite that thick though...

It's plastic....and melts away quite quickly.... :rofl:

Saturday....July 30

Sorry it has been a while since I have posted anything new but parts are so slooooow in recieving...Today was a test and fit day to make sure I had the proper nuts, bolts, and whatever to mount various parts....Seems like no matter how careful you are the are always bolts that get mixed up and a test fit is necessary....

The engine guard fits....

V7724-035sts-M.jpg

The dampner fits...

V7724-055sts-M.jpg

The horns fit.....

V7724-046sts-M.jpg

Oh, that black stuff in the previous pictures?????

Yes, the paint for the tank and side tool boxes is also done... :grin:

Mirror Black paint....5 coats of base coat Gloss Black paint...5 coats of Clear....wet sanded between each coat and polished out....LOVE it !!!!

V7724-074sts-M.jpg

V7724-023sts-M.jpg

V7724-024sts-M.jpg

Here are a couple of shots to show you how much of a mirror finish the tank has....

Now these are REFLECTIONS....

Side View.... Notice the reflection of the reflection in the camera where it says "GUZZI"

V7724-039sts-M.jpg

Top View....

That is NOT dust on the tank in the picture...That is the ceiling of my shop !!

V7724-028sts-M.jpg

The chrome should be in this week so I can finish putting the frame togeather...So until then............ Enjoy

Paul Mihalka

Beautiful! It's the first time I see a V7 Sport or similar Guzzi with engine guards - but with those spark plugs sticking out they need it...

That tank is gorgeous Bill. I wish I had made it down to the shop but after Nate did some hot laps on the XR80 today I was spent.

Outstanding Bill,Moto Guzzi should hire you as a Q.C. consultant,it will be a real head turner.Do you intend to show it at concours d'elegance or to ride it and what type of paint did you used,?Here we can now have only water base paint,btw thanks again for the imput,Rick at MG is a real knowledgable fellow.I am ordering the wiring harness but the headlight bracket is being bo for over 7 months so I put my name on the list

"The chrome should be in this week so I can finish putting the frame togeather...So until then............ Enjoy"

Sorry dude but next week is August and vacation time in Italy. We all know that in August, no work on Italian vehicles is allowed.

Union rules.

Bill, your Guzzi is looking FABULOUS!

Tank you, MUCH more work to be done and I hope it will we worthy... :)

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Only if you come back to Florida.... :grin:

Might even let ya ride it.... :cry:

Looking better then expected.

What did you expect...Pea Soup.......

Thanks Bernie you KNOW I value your words.....

Outstanding Bill,Moto Guzzi should hire you as a Q.C. consultant,it will be a real head turner.Do you intend to show it at concours d'elegance or to ride it

Thanks Dennis....Don't think the Italians care at all what I think......

BOTH....

Beautiful! It's the first time I see a V7 Sport or similar Guzzi with engine guards

Thanks Paul...The engine guards were a V7 Sport period option....

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Only if you come back to Florida.... :grin:

Might even let ya ride it.... :cry:

I'll be back!

Archived