IGNORED

Moto Guzzi V7 Sport a Restoration of Love

Knifemaker

I guess tonight I better take some pictures of my little project and tie it back into this one ;-)

Without pics..........................

A certain someone dropped by this evening with his project bike. Looked good, sounded good. I gave him a few suggestions that he seemed to like. We'll see what transpires.

Jon_from_AutoZone
Monday July 4th....

What I really wanted to accomplish today was to clear coat the frame and all the other painted parts...Got to the shop at 6:30 am and I am happy to say Mission accomplished....

Everything clear coated....Shop is a wreck but I told you that once I get going I'm relentless....Parts look like laundry hung out to dry....

V7SR-046sts-M.jpg

V7SR-047sts-M.jpg

Saw these two pics next to each other as I was scanning through todays pictures. Thought they made for a unique view...

Difference in what 7 days make.....

Motor in truck ready for bath and cleaned up motor....

V-SPORT-001sts-M.jpg

V7SR-050sts-M.jpg

Maybe by the end of the week the transmission seal and the ring gear/flywheel will be in and I can button up the motor...

I called you today to let you know the seal came in and it's a match!!!

Knifemaker

Guzzi parts from Autozone

A Seal is a Seal no matter how it barks.... :dopeslap:

Thanks again Jon... don't mind my Rubber Chickened Friend after all he is from up North... :eek::P

How's that new bike doing Keith?

Lone_RT_rider
Guzzi parts from Autozone

A Seal is a Seal no matter how it barks.... :dopeslap:

Bill,

First let me say that the following is not meant to be in anyway a negative statement on what you are doing. I sit and drool over your restorations quite often. :)

/start rubber hijack

With that said, a seal is not just a seal. :) Having worked and designed various mechanical interfaces that require sealing I am here to tell you that the differences are overwhlemingly different. Material and material grade will kill the ability of a seal to do it's job. For instance, NBR (rubber) will work just fine when trying to seal off water whereas if it's anything to do with fuel you should never consider anything less that FKM (Viton by Dupont trade name). And don't be fooled by just saying FKM is good enough for all fuel applications, especially if the seal is out of China. Don't get me started on how the chemistry is played with over there and still somehow get's called FKM. And if god forbid you have to seal off anything petrol based in a low temp environment (and I know this doesn't apply to Florida...lol) you had better have a GFLT rubber compound in there.

Bored yet?......by the way, that's the incredibly short version. :)

/end rubber hijack......bounce ....bounce.... :rofl:

How's that new bike doing Keith?

Its doing pretty well. I still don't feel comfortable on it yet, but its coming along. Most of the 2k+ miles I have on it so far have been 2-up, but I think I really need some long solo days in the twisties to sort it out. Those wide handlebars are really screwing me up. I haven't been able to find a repeatable position for riding agressivly, so I'm having trouble carrying speed in the corners. I'm doing a lot of moving around and correcting mid corner.

The PO had the ergos all screwed up, so I might need go back and play with those as well. He had bar risers on it tilted up and forward, those big ass Fastway pegs set in the lower position, and then he had an aftermarket shift lever set so high that you had to take your foot off the peg to upshift or downshift. Its almost like he was trying to set it up with ape hangers and forward controls. It just weird.......like I said, I need time to ride and play.

I think I will get it figured out, but in the back of my mind I am quietly missing my RT.

Knifemaker

Bored yet?......

How could I ever be bored listening to you Shawn????

Have you ever started the restoration on the GW?

Lone_RT_rider
How could I ever be bored listening to you Shawn????

Sarcasm will get you everywhere..... :/

Have you ever started the restoration on the GW?

No.... Life took a u-turn about a 8 months ago. I am still recovering. I don't know when I will get the ambition to finish that thing. I can barely keep up with the maintenence on the bikes, car, truck, boat and of course the house.

But thanks for asking my friend...

Shawn

Knifemaker

A certain someone dropped by this evening with his project bike

There a certain "project bike" sitting in my shop waiting for another certain someone to excercise it....

Question for the READERS........ If you were offered a toy to "play" with would you turn it down?

Picture of said toy....

509212150_FdVgh-M.jpg

Just Sayin'......... :rofl:....... :lurk:

Knifemaker

I don't know when I will get the ambition to finish that thing

Shop is always open for friends........

Knifemaker

I called you today to let you know the seal came in and it's a match!!!

Thanks Jon.......If the flywheel comes in this week I can button up the motor.....

There a certain "project bike" sitting in my shop waiting for another certain someone to excercise it....

Question for the READERS........ If you were offered a toy to "play" with would you turn it down?

Picture of said toy....

509212150_FdVgh-M.jpg

Do I have to wash it afterwards?

Picture of said toy....

509212150_FdVgh-M.jpg

Yer killin me. But now that the KLR's gone, I have room for it. Thanks for the reminder. I'll be over Saturday.

Don't ask.

roadscholar

Yer killin me. But now that the KLR's gone, I have room for it. Thanks for the reminder. I'll be over Saturday.

Don't ask.

That thing is too clean, I think it needs to be taken out in the woods and used for it's intended purposes. We won't tell anybody. :grin:

Picture of said toy....

509212150_FdVgh-M.jpg

I'd have that in a heartbeat. I owned the very early 360 model in green. If I could find one of those, I wouldn't think twice.

Linz :)

Don't ask.

That thing is too clean, I think it needs to be taken out in the woods and used for it's intended purposes. We won't tell anybody. :grin:

And ifa you donta take no pictures, it didn't happen.

;)

roadscholar

And ifa you donta take no pictures, it didn't happen.

;)

Kinda doubta itsa gonna happen, ifa you know whata I mean.

Knifemaker

Da Yamawhaw isa now inna handsa ofa Husbandano. Isa upa hima to taka the dam$#^ pictures... This Irishman can't speak Itleean.... :thumbsup: Hopefully I can build it.... :eek:

Funny I forgot, until Danny and I were looking at the Yamaha today, this little girl is a low serial numbered matching numbers bike...Rare for a made in Japan bike from the 70's...Motor # 000928 frame # 000928....

Speaking of Yamahaulers, I finally got some pictures of my little project. I only stuck them in here since this bike helped get the Goose to this stage.

I will get it registered this week and finish the updates to make it a better around town bike; braided lines, a new seat cover, some fresh tires and then I think we're good for a while.

Here's the other half of the deal that Knifemaker worked to get the V7, a 1980 Yamaha XS850G.

DSC2808-M.jpg

DSC2811-M.jpg

DSC2813-M.jpg

roadscholar

DSC2808-M.jpg

Looking good Matt. I may miss that one more than the Goose, those classic Yammies do it for me. Hey, don't you guys feel a just little guilty taking advantage of a defenseless old man like that. :grin:

Hey, don't you guys feel a just little guilty taking advantage of a defenseless old man like that.

Nope...... ;).....

but, I do want to thank you again.... :thumbsup:

Saturday July 9th.....

Couple of frustrations during the week...Parts I ordered from e-bay were correctly presented but in my haste and excitement I paid $75.00 for parts I did not need. On Friday I did order the correct part (ring gear)...cost me an extra $125.00 bucks though...Anyone need a good flywheel for an MG Ambo.. Moral of story don't order from e-bay at 2:30 am and don't be excited when you are ordering think it out....

I did get the transmission seal installed...Thanks again Jon...

Today I finished the final sand and buffing of the frame...

Front brake drums were next on the agenda clean up and polishing of the hardware (brake rods) since this bike is equiped with dual front brakes I had to do it twice....

not bad...

V7SR-051sts-M.jpg

Closer view of drums...

V7SR-054sts-M.jpg

Next I opened up the bottom of the motor by removing the oil pan to clean up in there......

To my surprise the bottom end was really clean looking....

V7SR-061sts-M.jpg

This bike does not have an oil filter but an oil screen...I cleaned out oil pan scraped off the old gasket and cleaned up rather clean oil screen....

Oil Screen....

V7SR-065sts-M.jpg

It will be another 3 weeks for the parts to come back from the chromer so next will be the part I have the most dislike for....Cleaning up the wheels...I have never found an better way to clean up spoked wheels short of removing spokes from them and rebuilding....but I am going to try and do them this time without stripping them...wish me luck...

Ok, come clean time... Bill (Roadscholar) offered me a trade for one of my bikes for the V7 Sport and the XS850G and I snapped it up quickly. I knew I loved the V7 but I was shocked on how nice the XS850G was....

Matt's favorite name for me is "The Enabler"... I have a nack for knowing what someone would like to do and then making it easier for them to do it...Did I say this right Matt???

Anyway when we were working on Nate's bike (Matt's son) Matt had mentioned how he might like to restore a bike for himself..... Got the picture...If not here it is again.....

DSC2811-M.jpg

Now that I know Diane will not hate me forever.....Enjoy Matt......signed

The Enabler

DSC2808-M.jpg

Looking good Matt. I may miss that one more than the Goose, those classic Yammies do it for me. Hey, don't you guys feel a just little guilty taking advantage of a defenseless old man like that. :grin:

Who you callin' old? I turn fifty-four at 3:30 am tomorrow. :P

I saw the senior moment, there was no danger so I took the shot.

I'm going to put some new tires on it, a new seat cover and some braided steel lines and then I'm going to commute on it some. Maybe make it my Wednesday "go to meetin'" bike.

It's fun to ride, thrilling to try and stop and reminds me how much I don't notice the universal joint in my BMW drive shaft!

You'll get a chance to ride it next time I have it out.

roadscholar
I saw the senior moment, there was no danger so I took the shot.

You'll get a chance to ride it next time I have it out.

Man, did you ever, no brainer that. :)

All in all I think it was a win, win, win for everyone. The best thing is two old scoots are getting a new lease on life and will soon be rolling down the road putting a grin on their owner's faces. And a few more bystanders just may notice how beautiful motorcycles were in decades past.

Hey, I'll look forward to it, the triple is cool.

Hey, I'll look forward to it, the triple is cool.

This is my first triple and I finally get the mystique now. Maybe tomorrow if work goes properly.

Wednesday July 13th......

No pics today so I guess it did not happen.....Hopefully final parts orders placed today....

New tires

Horns

Electronic Iginition

All new cables

and a few other dodads

New ring gear came in today so I now should be able to button up motor....

Triple Trees installed...Clean up on wheels started....

I'd come help you this weekend, but I am already ducking one big clean up job to drive a long ways and drink someone else's liquor.

Friday July 15th.......

New tires made it in via UPS today....Tires from Italy for a bike from Italy makes sense to me....

Ring Gear installed, clutch plates installed. engine and transmission are now again one unit and buttoned up...Final engine clean up to start tonight and then the motor can be put back in the frame..... :thumbsup:

Electronic iginition unit should be in on Tuesday....Looking forward to the time it starts looking like a motorcycle and my shop starts looking like something other than a parts depot (a badly kept one at that).

More pictures soon... I keep forgetting a camera

More pictures soon... I keep forgetting a camera

We will forgive you.............this time. But don't let it happen again :)

Saturday July 16....

As I said in the last post the motor and transmission are back togeather as a unit....

V7SR-070sts-M.jpg

New oil line to the heads installed....

V7SR-079sts-M.jpg

Rebuilt battery box and rubber containment base installed...

V7SR-077sts-M.jpg

Speaking of battery.... Old battery cable leads....

V7SR-086sts-M.jpg

Can't find battery leads? Make your own.... some 4 guage cable with the proper ends... cut off the incorrect ends and put on your own.....

V7SR-082sts-M.jpg

Almost finished new battery cables...I need to put the rubber boots on them and crimp the ends on....

V7SR-085sts-M.jpg

Cleaned up final drive....

V7SR-076sts-M.jpg

Next on the agenda clean up front brakes.(ahh double shot Starbucks it's what keeps me going at 5:30 am) The pivot posts are dried out and the brakes are sticking and not rotating smoothly.....

V7SR-069sts-M.jpg

The pivot posts are in between the brake shoes (they lock the pads togeather) which means you have to release the springs to the pads swing them out remove the pivot posts clean the and re-grease them...Now the brakes will and can be smoothly applied...

V7SR-074sts-M.jpg

Friend came in from DC and surprised me at the shop so I guess this is it for today....Sunday is another day...stay tuned !!!

Bill, thanks so much for the photos. Amazing how much of an old 73' model is still in my 86' LeMans 1000. The battery tray and rubber parts are identical to my bike! When you own a Moto Guzzi there's a lot of family lineage that goes with the purchase. Or in other terms, the factory hates re-tooling for sure. It goes in both directions, as I have upgraded my 86' with newer improvements like the deep spline clutch plates and the redesigned transmission cush drive that were compatible to my older model. I'm still running points but, with high voltage coils on my LeMans. The HV coils actually make the most difference at lower rpms improving pulling power at 2500 rpms. Keep up the good work, it's going to look great! :thumbsup:

Debbie does the baking.

;)

Bill,

Nice.

Good thing you posted pics.

If you hadn't I might have come over to see it in person.

What kind of paint are you using? Do you bake anything?

For the motor I use Dupla Hi temp engine DE1615 Alum and a Hi temp engine clear.

The DE1615 Alum.is an exact match for most motors I have come across in restorations (very lite coats). The clear is used mostly to deter staining and grease from getting into to metal.

I do not bake anything but I do allow a mininum of 1 week curing between coats so the paint can harden and completely dry....

On brake drums and such I use the Dupla Brake and caliper paint and clear when necessary....seems to be a lot tougher finish...

When I do period correct restorations I will rarely powder coat even though it is the strongest way to go....Judges can get real picky !!!

Debbie does the baking.

If by chance you mean cooking ;).... Don't I wish... :/

Not

Saying

Nothin!!!

Tuesday July 19....

No work in the past 2 days they are repaving the storage center where I work on the bikes...Can not get to my shop...Maybe Wednesday....

I did get a UPS care package in today though... I now have...

Electronic ignition system

New horn assembly

All new cables

New spark plugs

and various other small items....

still waiting for chromer and Italy.... :P

Archived