IGNORED

Moto Guzzi V7 Sport a Restoration of Love

Knifemaker

The twin loop frame has evolved into a dated design. The difference on a Moto Guzzi is they have a good example of a dated design! A striking example of this is when I look at the 71' Kawasaki 500 on display at a local bike shop. When compared to my 86' Moto Guzzi LeMans frame they are the same basic design only the Kawasaki frame looks suitable for a Schwinn bicycle.

Guest Kakugo

Glad you found the headlight because I was really having a tough time tracing it. :thumbsup:

During my searches I came into contact with these chaps: Agostini-Mandello del Lario. Apparently they are the ultimate source for Moto Guzzi parts and, given time, they can find or make anything.

Knifemaker

Thursday June 30th....

Dirty motor needs a bath...Local DIY...

V-SPORT-004sts-M.jpg

After the bath with Purple Power not bad....

V-SPORT-007sts-M.jpg

Removing transmission from block to do inspections....

trannysts-M.jpg

and of course there are problems...a little to much oil in the clutch housing and a real BAD set of teeth on the ring gear/flywheel....Ouch.. :eek: that will have to be replaced...

fwsts-M.jpg

New ring gear $450.00....Thank you again E-Bay ... found nice one from a 1970 MG Ambo on E-Bay at 2:00 am this morning for $50.00. Checked the part numbers on the V7 and Ambo...same part numbers...SOLD should get it in 7-10 days from California.

How do you do the wrinkle finish?

Mine turn out that way when I'm not trying.....

Keep us tuned. I get to do a restoration and not get my hands dirty!

Knifemaker

Friday July 1st.....

Checked out of the office at 3:00 today for a long July 4th weekend...Went to the shop to see what I could accomplish tonight....

Cleaned out the transmission housing and removed inner clutch gear to get to the transmission seal to pull it and replace it...Wouldn't you know I forgot the tranmission seal in my seal purchases...Oh well at least it ready for the new one.....

V7-SPORT-20sts-M.jpg

Next on the agenda was to clean up the clutch/flywheel compartment of all the nasty junk in it so I could get to and replace the rear crank case oil seal....

Kinda nasty looking...

V7-SPORT-21sts-M.jpg

Removing the lock plates for the bolts going to the rear crank seal plate....

V7-SPORT-22sts-M.jpg

Gotta Love an electric impact driver....

Removing crank seal bolts....

V7-SPORT-23sts-M.jpg

I knew I could use a seal puller for something else...

Loosening up the crank seal plate...

V7-SPORT-24sts-M.jpg

Now to use a puller to finish pulling the crank seal cover plate off....

V7-SPORT-28sts-M.jpg

A look inside....Crank and inside motor looks real good....That's a HUGE CRANK !!!!!

V7-SPORT-29sts-M.jpg

V7-SPORT-31sts-M.jpg

A few errands to run in the morning then back to work...I going to get some BBQ right now I'm hungry....

Knifemaker

Saturday July 2ed.....

Looks like I lost my readers...Oh well that's what happens on a long weekend and all of you are riding and I'm just pulgging away.... :)

I was installing the rear crank cover oil seal last night...

Job completed buttoned up and waiting for the new ring gear to get here so I can put the clutch in. When the transmission seal gets here I will be able to put the transmission back on the engine and hopefully are the new engine parts will be happy living as one again...

V7SR-011sts-M.jpg

What I wanted to accomplish today was to put the new seals in the front of the motor....

Gotta clean up and get past this nasty section first....

V7SR-007sts-M.jpg

Alternator pulled of now I can get to the seal.....

V7SR-030sts-M.jpg

Area cleaned up and new seal installed....This was the easiest job I have done on this bike as to date...I wish more of this restoration would go this easy....

V7SR-033sts-M.jpg

Clean up of valve cover and starter is going well....

V7SR-015sts-M.jpg

V7SR-023sts-M.jpg

Cleaning head fins.... Only way I know how....Bronze brush and a lot of back and forth....

V7SR-036sts-M.jpg

Winding down for today sent 16 hours on this restoration....Getting tired good time to stop....

Todays parting shot....Engine is starting to slowly clean up.........

V7SR-040sts-M.jpg

not bad but a long way to go...Till the next post...Hope you enjoy it !!

barryNmarin

I don't think you've lost anyone Bill. If they are like me they are just speechless at the amazing makeover you are doing. I'm spellbound and following each one of your posts wishing I had the talents you possess to restore a classic machine to its youth again.

Firefight911
I don't think you've lost anyone Bill. If they are like me they are just speechless at the amazing makeover you are doing. I'm spellbound and following each one of your posts wishing I had the talents you possess to restore a classic machine to its youth again.

what he said since I'm speechless!!

Beautiful, riveting, and what's next?!

Jon_from_AutoZone

Hey Mr. Jones, I joined the forum so I could follow along in your adventure too even though I see you on a daly basis coming into the store :clap:

Bill_Walker

Yeah, what Barry said. Just because we're not saying anything doesn't mean we're not reading.

Say, Bill, what are you using to clean out all the housings? Inquiring neophytes want to know.

Knifemaker

what are you using to clean out all the housings?

Purple Power concentrated degreaser, 0000 bronze wool, and bronze brushes...Bronze brushes and bronze wool will not scratch the alum. surface like SS brushes and steel wool....After cleaning follow up with lots of water to flush out the Purple Power because it will crust over the metal surface if left on...Use latril or plastic gloves also because Purple Power left on your hads will burn you and blister your skin and it does not heal quickly...Don't ask how I know this...

Knifemaker

wishing I had the talents you possess to restore a classic machine to its youth again.

Truly.....no talent and I say that with honesty...Just will, patience, research, and knowing the correct people to ask dumb questions to. Harbor Freight so I can afford tools (cheap) to do it with and most of all a great wife that has put up with me for over 26 years that does not mind me doing this at all even though most of my friends would say it keeps me from bugging her.... :dopeslap:

Just take your time, take lots of pictures, buy lots of zip-lock bags and most of all if something does not look or feel right.... keep doing it over and over until YOU like it!!!!

Haven't lost me, I was just waiting for tomorrow when I could say "nice job finishing it all up but what took you so long" ;)

Most excellent work, and photos!

Everyone appreciates your work and your journey. I admire it, since I've been there myself.

Knifemaker

Sunday July 3rd.....

Working indoors today....Carb cleaning... Air conditioning while I work....This can spoil me.... :grin:

Polish and clean then start over again...

V7SR-045sts-M.jpg

Getting there slowly but surly....

Comparison....

V7SR-043sts-M.jpg

Thats called elbow polish.

Appreciate the invitation to come by but if I do don't trust me with anything more than a brush. I'm still waiting on a phone call from somebody at Tech Day whose valve is now inside the combustion chamber.

When does the motor go back in?

Bill

Tell the truth, Bill. You went to Italy & shot this new motor at the factory.

V7SR-040sts-M.jpg

On second thought, no you didn't They don't ever look that good when new. You're doin' great! :thumbsup:

This bike is going to look better than it did when it left the factory.

Where do you get the bronze brushes and bronze wool?

This bike is going to look better than it did when it left the factory.

Probably at Harbor Freight. Look up cheapskate in the dictionary & you'll likely see his picture. :grin:

Jon_from_AutoZone
hopefully that seal we found will work out. Any luck on that o-ring?

Got it !!

where did you find it?

Knifemaker

Bronze Brushes....Harbor Freight... :rofl: Really !! 50 cents each...

Bronze Wool....Ace Hardware...not real cheap... :/

Bill, it is a blast to follow your progress. Now that i have an a/c'd workshop and a harbor freight just up the road i need to take something apart and make it look better. May not run, but hey, you gotta look good on the dock! (fishing concept).

Knifemaker

Look up cheapskate in the dictionary & you'll likely see his picture.

Ok Danny and Bernie....notes have been taken and names written down....As soon as I can find some free impliments of harm.... :thumbsup:

I am in total awe and admiration and respect ... wow! I can't even slice a loaf of bread straight, so I'm just blown away by your abilities.

I love this thread. Thank you.

Look up cheapskate in the dictionary & you'll likely see his picture.

Ok Danny and Bernie....notes have been taken and names written down....As soon as I can find some free impliments of harm.... :thumbsup:

Have implements, will travel.

;)

Also, have condiments, will travel, for food.

:/

MarkShelley

Looking forward to following this thread. The Tonti framed bikes sure are pretty. Here is mine. You could call this `Beauty and the Beast`

IMG_0501.jpg

Knifemaker

You could call this `Beauty and the Beast`

Looks similar to my 86 California II

Love the way the seat trim is inverted

716116625_owG6L-M.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

Knifemaker

Monday July 4th....

What I really wanted to accomplish today was to clear coat the frame and all the other painted parts...Got to the shop at 6:30 am and I am happy to say Mission accomplished....

Everything clear coated....Shop is a wreck but I told you that once I get going I'm relentless....Parts look like laundry hung out to dry....

V7SR-046sts-M.jpg

V7SR-047sts-M.jpg

Saw these two pics next to each other as I was scanning through todays pictures. Thought they made for a unique view...

Difference in what 7 days make.....

Motor in truck ready for bath and cleaned up motor....

V-SPORT-001sts-M.jpg

V7SR-050sts-M.jpg

Maybe by the end of the week the transmission seal and the ring gear/flywheel will be in and I can button up the motor...

Matts_12GS

Truly.....no talent and I say that with honesty...Just will, patience, research, and knowing the correct people to ask dumb questions to. Harbor Freight so I can afford tools (cheap) to do it with and most of all a great wife that has put up with me for over 26 years that does not mind me doing this at all even though most of my friends would say it keeps me from bugging her.... :dopeslap:

Just take your time, take lots of pictures, buy lots of zip-lock bags and most of all if something does not look or feel right.... keep doing it over and over until YOU like it!!!!

don't let him fool you. The biggest thing Bill has with these bikes is vision. In the same way a sculptor can see what's "hidden" inside a piece of marble, Bill can see what's inside one of these grimy machines. He's a lot of fun to watch going through old bike shows and swap meets.

It's fun to drop by the shop and see what he's got done since the last time.

I guess tonight I better take some pictures of my little project and tie it back into this one ;-)

Knifemaker

I guess tonight I better take some pictures of my little project and tie it back into this one ;-)

Without pics..........................

Archived