IGNORED

Moto Guzzi V7 Sport a Restoration of Love

Knifemaker

A little while ago another BMWST member asked me if I would like to trade one of my bikes for one of his bikes. It took me a matter of a split second (even though he may not had known it) to say yes.

The next day sitting in my shop was a rare 1973 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, one of the bikes of my dreams, and now I had one.

The V7 Sport.. (Sorry I forgot to take good start pictures)

V7-Sprot-019sts-S.jpg

Some of you know I do antique motorcycle restorations for myself as a hobby. I have been asked on occasion about the process of doing a restoration. Using this forum I would like to show (as much as I remember to do) and answer any questions that I can about this process. If you don't want to hear and see about this process let me know and I will discontinue this topic.

Never go into a restoration blindly. Know what you are getting into by researching and learning all the information you can on the motorcycle. Take your time restorations cannot be rushed as you will find out with this motorcycle.

With the above in mind the first two books I purchased was a book called the V7 Sport and LeMans Bible and a V7 Sport Parts Manual. The Bible tells me about the different variations of the V7 Sport even though they were only apx. 2500 bikes made over the two year production of this machine.

This motorcycle after carefully looking it over is going to require a complete frame off restoration. The first step is to strip all parts of the bike in sections inspect all parts and tag and bag each section. Photographs will be a big help.

I started the bike up to see if it would run before stripping it down so I had an idea of the motors condition.

Known problems: Missing complete headlight assembly, butchered wiring, bent front forks, missing air box, bad paint, incorrect switch assemblys, aged and crumbling rubber parts, and wrong handlebars these are the upfront problems. The parts book helped me identify four printed out pages of parts needed/wanted to start this project.

Ebay is usually a good source for motorcycle parts when you need them but in the case of the V7 Sport adverage parts posts for this bike in the last 60 days have been between 22 and 27 listings with 98% of those listing being for pictures or articles. I did mention this was a rare motorcycle right?

Another problem... Rusted out exhaust system

V7-Sprot-024sts-S.jpg

Top triple tree clamp with cut out for wrong handlebars

V7-Sprot-002sts-S.jpg

Wrong handlebar setup should be clip ons

V7-Sprot-014sts-S.jpg

Bike stripped...

V7-Sprot-015sts-S.jpg

Notice anything different in the next picture?

V7-Sprot-018sts-S.jpg

Motor still attached to the lower frame and held up by center stand with main frame in background of photograph. This is called a Tonti Frame. The upper frame can be removed with motor in place. Cool !!

Here is a better photo of the motor and lower frame less upper frame.

V7-Sprot-004sts-S.jpg

One of the features of this bike is a Chrom-moly frame instead of standard steel frame.

Lower frame members in Chrom-moly steel

V7-Sprot-005sts-S.jpg

Another slight set back has reared it's ugly head...bent stem on triple tree. Oh, forgot to tell you...After being laughed at by Moto Guzzi parts distributors on two continents when I asked about a headlight assembly I recieved the same laughter when I asked about a lower triple tree. Ahhh the fun of restoring (need I say) a rare bike.

Progress today...

First stage of primer on the drive shaft/swing arm

V7-Sprot-009sts-S.jpg

First stage of top coat paint on frame...

V7-Sprot-007sts-S.jpg

Told Ya I made some progress today....

Frame, center stand and shocks after first color sand...

V7-Sprot-021sts-S.jpg

V7-Sprot-031sts-S.jpg

Ok I think I have you caught up with the progress so far I hope you like it. Let me know if you want me to continue this or have questions or if it's to boring and you want me to stop.

Guest Kakugo

Cheers Bill, that's one of my "to do things": buying an old pile of scrap metal and turn it into a proper working motorcycle. Almost bought an AJS 18S earlier this year... and crashed Moto Guzzi Daytona.

Work is coming along nicely, if you need any spares just drop me a line: I live about seventy miles from the Moto Guzzi factory and most of their suppliers in the area (Lafranconi for example) still make spare parts for vintage bikes.

Paul Mihalka

Wow! The Moto Guzzi V7 Sport was my dream bike, to the point that I fully paid for one but never got it. The story I wrote up previously here, but in short I signed up for a European tour in 1972 with choice MG or BMW, and I wanted and paid for a V7 Sport. We get to Europe, no V7 Sport. They didn't make it yet. Got a BMW.

I still consider it one of the most beautiful bikes ever made.

Moto-Guzzi_V7-Sport.jpg

Bill, by all means keep the updates comming. :thumbsup: I don't know how rare but, my 86' LeMans isn't commom either. I never see another one except at a Moto Guzzi Rally or Vintage rally.

Using this forum I would like to show (as much as I remember to do) and answer any questions that I can about this process. If you don't want to hear and see about this process let me know and I will discontinue this topic.

Like hell Bill. Bring it on :clap:

For those hard to get parts, give Dave Richardson, author of Guzziology, a call at Moto International in Washington.

In the 90's, I restored a '77 LeMans and a '81 V50 Monza. I dealt exclusively with them. If they can't get, it's unobtainium.

Please, continue with you restoration process updates. I love this stuff.

HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY !!!!! PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!

MG part # 14740520

Individual parts:

RIM...MG # 14740352... CEV # 02981

Gasket...MG # 14740401...CEV # 15648

Headlight Shell... MG # 14740412... CEV # 02980/c

Sealed Beam Light...14740402...CEV # 02765

Sunday June 12

Not a long day in the shop today on Sundays I usually only work from 6:30 am to about 11:00 am.

Engine breather 1st stage top coat...

V7-Sprot-004-S.jpg

Better view of rusted exhaust...

V7-Sprot-001sts-S.jpg

V7-Sprot-002-S.jpg

After doing a little research I found out I am the 4th owner of this V7 Sport. The first 2 owners of the bike were from Ashtabula, Ohio. It seems like owner number 2 is the person who is the one who allowed the bike to get in it's current condition. Seems he wanted a "road" bike so he added a fairing, bags, and intercom system and changed the wiring to accomdate these "add ons" (not discounting wrecking the bike). This bike also came with tank badges originally and not decals. Seems he had some trouble with the tank badges and had them drilled and rivitted to the tank... another "little problem to overcome".

Last parts to the lower frame now primed...

V7-Sprot-005sts-S.jpg

Notice the BMW motor in the background of the photo? That's the motor to my R75/5 project (maybe for a later posting)

Lower Triple Tree straightened and primed... Clamped to a flat steel surface and a 8 foot cheater bar and 2 hours (no heat applied) the stem finally came around to make ALL my precision gauges happy.

V7-Sprot-010sts-S.jpg

Another 2 hour machine against man test of wills...With the help of a 24mm socket and a 2 pound sledge the bent forks came out of the triple tree...

V7-Sprot-012sts-S.jpg

Ok, parts ordering time...This is the time only CASH is talking...

I don't know how rare but, my 86' LeMans isn't commom either

Very hard to come by parts for your bike. A few shared parts with the V7 but not many. Great bike to have in your stable !!!

Keep the restoration pr0n coming! It looks like you've got your work cut out for you, I hope you keep posting the progress, it will be a beautiful bike when finished!

Hey Tom, open up your wallet and I have it done quickly... :grin:

Come on you two, I've got my helmet and silk scarf on ready to ride this beast already!

Seriously, this thing is going to be beautiful. I've already spent a few hours watching Bill work. It's gonna be great.

I suppose I'm going to have to spill the beans on my project pretty soon too, right Bill?

Come on you two, I've got my helmet and silk scarf on ready to ride this beast already!

Seriously, this thing is going to be beautiful. I've already spent a few hours watching Bill work. It's gonna be great.

I suppose I'm going to have to spill the beans on my project pretty soon too, right Bill?

Yea...You and Danny will more than likely be the first ones to ride it....

Matt, bean spilling is up to you... :Cool:

In! :thumbsup:

In! :thumbsup:

Me first!!

Hey Tom, open up your wallet and I have it done quickly... :grin:

Bill work's is great and I think in holidays your ideas are great and good to follow.

Monday June 13th...

Got my parts order placed this one a little over $2500.00 and subject to ship ?????? whenever the folks in Italy deside to do it or make it? Rick at MG Cycles said the headlight ear mounts have been on back order for over 6 months now. I will never say anything about BMW parts being expensive again...The last box of Goose parts for this bike, was in a 4" X 4" box that the shipping lable covered two sides of and weighed in at less than a pound, cost me $600.00

Spent the evening trying to repair the cutout in the upper triple tree from the bad handlebar installation...Could not get any paint work done with the rain storms that hit town at 5:00 pm and lasted most of the evening...

I'm going carb syncing tonight and will hopefully get some photos of my project this weekend. Then I'll come clean with it

Tuesday June 14th

Repair on upper triple tree completed and primed....

Messed up TT with cuttout....

V7-Sprot-002sts-S.jpg

Repaired upper TT...

V7-Sprotsts-S.jpg

MarineTex Grey to do the major filling and bondo as a finishing coat. Came out rather smooth and even... Front forks "should" arrive this week....

I told you could do it. You are the master. :clap:

The problem will be that the finished product will be better then the original. But screw the judges. :/

June 15th...

Guage Cluster....

V7-Sprot-017sts-M.jpg

Not real happy with re-creating the original wrinkle finish got to strip this and try again....

V7-Sprot-022sts-M.jpg

V7-Sprot-024sts-M.jpg

Not alway successful the first time around (rarely)

June 17th....

It's all in the details...New Koni decals for the shocks... Just a quick glance and you would never know they were there originally..

V7-Sprot-030sts-S.jpg

Seat looking good...I think..Better than the over-stuffed non-original look of what was there when I got the bike...

V7-Sprot-026sts-S.jpg

V7-Sprot-025sts-S.jpg

Sleek compaired to the other one...

Compare for yourself...

V7-Sprot-019sts-M.jpg

That bike is going to be awful purdy. Can't wait to just study the details.

Wish you could set up a "shop cam" and link taking a photo every few seconds/minutes.

See ya. Bill

Umm, where's the leather couch? I swear of all the times I've been to your shop, I've missed it. Guess I don't rate.

V7-Sprot-025sts-S.jpg

Guess I don't rate.

You more than rate....Just trying to class the shop up...sure !!!

P.S. don't tell anyone but most of these pics are done with my Canon... ;)

Wish you could set up a "shop cam" and link taking a photo every few seconds/minutes.

Bill, you will be more than welcome...Shop Cam...naw...it would be rated X...every time something is not going to plan...I get a little too verbal.. :eek:

Bill, you will be more than welcome...Shop Cam...naw...it would be rated X...every time something is not going to plan...I get a little too verbal.. :eek:

That's an understatement.

You shouldda seen him during the judging on the little Honda 350...

u shouldda seen him during the judging on the little Honda 350...

That's why I walked out...That one judge was ticking me off BIG time...yeah dummy I had the tank painted... and dented it so it would look "original" and I put "slightly faded" "new" decals on it too !!!! Good thing the other judges got her away from me...Still ticks me off...If you are a new judge it's not a good thing for your credibility to accuse the owner of anything... ask the seasoned judges your questions.....

Saturday June 18th...

Got to the shop around 5:30 this morning stayed until about 2:00 p.m. Maybe I'll go back tonight when it's cooler....yeah right.... :rofl:

Spent most of the morning trying to get the shop in some type of order. When Hurricane Bill starts working the result qualifys for FEMA aid.

Went to the DIY carwash and cleaned up the wheels a might..Worth the $2.00...

V7-Sprot-040sts-S.jpg

Started polishing the front fork sliders about 80% done. Looking better...Yes Snickers is a food group unless it turns completly mushy...Then it looks to be something different...I'm just saying...

V7-Sprot-033sts-S.jpg

Care package for the chromer....

V7-Sprot-036sts-S.jpg

A little teaser....

V7-Sprot-037sts-S.jpg

Color sanding makes a mess. Will Debbie notice the towel???

V7-Sprot-038-S.jpg

More color sanding later but now I need a HEAT BRAKE !!!

Friday June 24th....

Yes, it's been quiet lately which is typical of a restoration project. Ordering parts and waiting for parts to come in a little at a time is time consuming.

GOOD NEWS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking over E-Bay everyday finally paid off !!!! Found a HEADLIGHT assembly off a Benelli 650 Tornado that is the only other motorcycle to use the Moto Guzzi V7 Sport headlight. Better news...The seller was in Tampa and after talking with him on the phone he cancelled the E-Bay auction and sold it to me for $65.00. Sounds alot for an old headlight but considering the last and ONLY one I have come across in the last 6 months the guy said he would NOT take $1000.00 for it.

All parts tagged and bagged...Package is ready to send off today to the chromer...ChromeMasters in Nashville.

Notice # 23...That's the headlight

V7-Sprot-041sts-M.jpg

A few weeks and more wallet reduction chrome work should be done. Starting wet/color sand of frame and tank in the morning....

This is starting to get exciting!

I'm glad to hear you found a headlight for a decent price.

Looking forward to seeing the parts when you get them back from the chrome shop. :lurk:

This is starting to get exciting!

Thanks Sharon...you know toooooo well about the waiting period...right?

Sunday June 26th....

Thanks Matt for helping me hang the frame for clear coating so I would not beat up the paint.....

Color sanding is completed on frame and frame parts... it is now ready for clear coating...

Decals on the guage cluster...

V7-Sprot-052sts-M.jpg

Decals now on Koni Shocks ready for clear coating....

V7-Sprot-045sts-M.jpg

Front forks rebuilt ready for oil..... Frame all nice and shiny....

V7-Sprot-053sts-M.jpg

New races punched in steering head ready for the new bearings.....

V7-Sprot-050sts-M.jpg

Hopefully I will have tank and tool boxes finished and ready sometime this week..... Purchased so far about $120.00 in new stainless steel and chromed bolts...Leave no stone un-turned!!!

Archived