IGNORED

START - Maggie Valley Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour 2021

Indy Dave

Brad drew a pretty good crowd demonstrating a tire change ;)

image.jpeg

Until Ken upstaged him by singlehandedly loading an RT into the back of his truck. Hmm, what could happen the crowd wondered! :D

image.thumb.jpeg.eed15af9c54f76262111c876a0f8b9c6.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Smile 1

Tough times for sure when BMW riders have to get in food lines. ;)

image.thumb.jpeg.2c425e64fcd05fcfcab1d0d7bdc6d6b5.jpeg

My dinner date. For a minute I thought it was all me but in reality, it was the Beef brisket! :ohboy: :classic_biggrin:

1CB0E225-68C8-4B3E-8FE2-77AFB3AC0C07.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few pics from our ride today. Did the northeast route through Hot Springs and Roan Mountain. A great route. Thanks Bernie.

B3B53D9F-8ECE-43DF-97FB-C105D4AB80EA.jpeg

C96F331B-3972-453E-A7EE-4664C67FE2CA.jpeg

CD1C7E68-C095-4FB6-A39C-1CCA3BB13AD5.jpeg

5F966018-A49C-491C-934D-96FAB2BEB63D.jpeg

B0505375-05BB-42A5-BD30-FD9FDD606FFF.jpeg

• Like 8

I passed a very slow moving couple twice on 209 who then made about 4 passes through downtown looking for something.

They parked next to me while I was getting coffee.  However, I didn't talk to them since I didn't have much voice thanks to the radiation treatment 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Hats off to Bernie for the routes and Dave for wrangling the event and everybody else who contributed time and effort. 

Thank you.

+1...a big thank you to all involved in planning START!

• Like 4

Loved the routes, but not a big fan of the snow falling on Cherahola.  Chris K still found us some alternative roads to get some great riding in.  Kudos to Bernie and the gang for hosting this awesome event.

BTW, thank you for the new wallet!  I will be accepting donations so Laura does not have to fill it up.  :rofl:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On Thursday, while riding route 5 (Roan Mtn), we were passed a couple of times by the "GS Gang" (names withheld to protect the guilty).  As the group of 5 passed I swear I could hear "Ahhhh,  Ooooh, Yes!" sounds, and reckon passing a couple of lowly RT's was orgasmic to them!  But post-ride laughs were had all around by both groups, and all's good!     Ride safe!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Thanks to all who organized START 2021 I had a blast.  Unfortunately had to head home Friday but my 3 days were wonderful.   Excellent lodging choice with ability to walk to food and great host.   I really enjoyed the Brad Smith demo and hearing his insights,  what a great guy!!   And the items he was selling were truly bargains. 

Meandered my way home yesterday up 215 and then over the Eurosport Asheville to see the blue RT in person. Very nice!  Just not a fan of all the over the top technology. 

Thanks to all once again and hope you all have a safe and dry trip home! 

i-s5pJtHQ-X2.jpg

i-6WBdkTt-X2.jpgi-HvPP36L-X2.jpg

i-9pPT68C-X2.jpg

i-mmcK5L7-X2.jpg

i-2pvJmmF-X2.jpg

i-Z6LmJk6-X2.jpg

i-B2PSr9R-X2.jpg

i-VvgmrVP-X2.jpg

i-wBWt7C4-X2.jpg

i-3T8QjRZ-X2.jpg

i-TZg4C9W-X2.jpg

i-crJdq9z-X2.jpg

• Like 9
11 hours ago, BMW_Ken said:

A few pics from our ride today. Did the northeast route through Hot Springs and Roan Mountain. A great route. Thanks Bernie.

B3B53D9F-8ECE-43DF-97FB-C105D4AB80EA.jpeg

C96F331B-3972-453E-A7EE-4664C67FE2CA.jpeg

CD1C7E68-C095-4FB6-A39C-1CCA3BB13AD5.jpeg

5F966018-A49C-491C-934D-96FAB2BEB63D.jpeg

B0505375-05BB-42A5-BD30-FD9FDD606FFF.jpeg

Question about the Ken Insley stickers?  Are they available?  I would love to have one and also does anyone know who had them made?  I have a good riding buddy who passed away and would love to have a similar sticker made in his honor.  Those of us who knew him would really enjoy them. 

Thanks 

Ed - @Slumgullion had the stickers made, and he may have some extras. There are lots of options for having stickers made - and Joel can speak more to that. Design will be a consideration - someone will need to do that. But - you can probably find a sign or print shop locally who can do all of that.

Thanks for coming and thanks for posting the great photos!

• Like 1

@RTinNC, Ed it was good to see you.   Nice pics and words.  Thanks for posting. 

If @Slumgullion ran out of stickers, PM me and I can send you a high res .jpg file with that logo for you to get made up somewhere.   I had some inside help (thanks @Indy Dave!) for those images when I had some shirts made for FART 2020; I was wearing mine yesterday that had my board name and avatar on the front and the FART logo on the back.   

I procrastinated this year and never pushed my t-shirt guy to make up a shirt design for START '21 in time.   He has a small set-up for screen printing and needs minimum orders (15) to make it worthwhile.   I may end up doing an online order for a no-minimum design and get one made from one of the companies online.  Unfortunately, when Joel sold his business, the graphic design element in new stickers went along with it.  I will end up ripping ART logos from the world wide web for my next t-shirt.  Trying to do my own graphic design for t-shirts was a bit of a challenge as I do not have good software (professional) and did not want to task Indy Dave for doing anything more than what he already does for these fine gatherings!!

Cheers,

• Like 1
On 4/21/2021 at 9:24 PM, Dennis Andress said:

I got in this afternoon.

It was great to see you!

@TEWKS was great to catch up.  Safe travels home 

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
5 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Thanks to all who organized START 2021 I had a blast.  Unfortunately had to head home Friday but my 3 days were wonderful.   Excellent lodging choice with ability to walk to food and great host.   I really enjoyed the Brad Smith demo and hearing his insights,  what a great guy!!   And the items he was selling were truly bargains. 

Meandered my way home yesterday up 215 and then over the Eurosport Asheville to see the blue RT in person. Very nice!  Just not a fan of all the over the top technology. 

Thanks to all once again and hope you all have a safe and dry trip home! 

i-mmcK5L7-X2.jpg

This looks like my first BMW, a 1997 Red RT.  How did I miss seeing this?

Most beautiful m/c ever designed.

• Like 1

I found him! :eek:

image.thumb.jpeg.c9b3c0b4502bc4ae9c5cfbcb5ef86929.jpeg

Now this is not something you RT guys should attempt. Ok, Bernie, Dave and Brad you’re good! :classic_biggrin: Joking...;) 

image.thumb.jpeg.09aec3d1c74acee03bb932bebc5ee890.jpeg

• Like 6

Learned a little something today. Waterfalls are pretty

0D0FD860-502A-471C-8D0F-049E9D4B7258.jpeg

and wet wooden bridges are slippery! The engine braking locked up the back tire as I was exiting the bridge. Almost! 

D6268AAD-50E6-4D22-9591-3399720C1CE1.jpeg

• Like 10
lawnchairboy

A real pleasure to chat with Dennis, Chris K, Andy, Nikki, Pat. Nice routes, thanks to all. 

safe travels.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

This looks like my first BMW, a 1997 Red RT.  How did I miss seeing this?

Most beautiful m/c ever designed.

LOL ... my first BMW as well was exactly like that one .... well without the 187K miles !!  Happy it started my conversion to BMW !! 

i-zFxTDV2-X2.jpg

• Like 1

Laura and I made home safe and sound.  We had a great time!  Good to see everyone.  

Thank you to all BBR members, along with others behind the scenes, for a great START!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 4/24/2021 at 1:04 PM, twistyguy said:

Were these two photos juxtaposed on purpose Bukasa?:rofl:image.jpeg.ff1c40964bcd57a6b79796080fa992fc.jpegimage.jpeg.992da4307dfbafa7a54930398528315b.jpeg

Almost fell off the couch when you pointed that out. . .:rofl:.

EPIC GS route you put together!!!!  For those who were wondering - made for some great pictures along with spectacular riding!!!!!  THANK YOU (and everyone else) for not only putting those routes together but being kind enough to share them with all of us!!!!!

IMG_4957.jpg

IMG_4973.jpg

IMG_4978 (1).jpg

• Like 8
On 4/24/2021 at 11:56 AM, Id's_OK said:

Great day of on and off-road fun with these guys yesterday!  (L-R: me, Doreen, Bukasa & Indy Scott)

05C1044D-9DC4-4C06-BFFA-955294678CE4.jpeg

9DDB50FE-695F-4397-AA32-756FEA4362C5.jpeg

Thoroughly enjoyed it and can't tell you how much I enjoyed yours, Scotts and Doreen's company!  Thank you for making riding that route possible!!!!

• Like 4
On 4/24/2021 at 9:46 AM, BamaJohn said:

On Thursday, while riding route 5 (Roan Mtn), we were passed a couple of times by the "GS Gang" (names withheld to protect the guilty).  As the group of 5 passed I swear I could hear "Ahhhh,  Ooooh, Yes!" sounds, and reckon passing a couple of lowly RT's was orgasmic to them!  But post-ride laughs were had all around by both groups, and all's good!     Ride safe!

And then John retaliated by "stealing" Lowndes Air Vest!  :4322:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Arriving home tonight after a quick stop to visit with a cousin . Although I didn't get the saddle time in that I wanted , [ ill prepared for the weather ] a great time was had. I really enjoyed meeting the board members and met some great people. Will be getting ready for a visit from one to show them what coastal Carolina has to offer. I am really looking forward to Fart and extending my new friendships. I already know a few won't be able to make it , but I truly hope I have the chance to see them again in the future. Once again ,thanks  to Indy Dave , Bernie , and all that made this happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got home at 2 AM and yup, I was spent. Silly spent matter of fact but I had a great time! Thanks for putting this on, lots of work behind the scene is evident! :clap:

YouTube was kicking my butt on this but finally got it to upload. Have to edit the title and description when clarity returns. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Borrowing Pat's photo from above, this is Brad working on my RT.  He is changing out the rear tire.  Originally, on Thursday, when he walked by my motorcycle, Brad had noticed that the rear tire had been installed wrong.  It was on backwards.  The rotation arrow was going in the wrong direction. I had not noticed this, and had traveled 7,000 miles with it on wrong.  :whistle:Brad quickly volunteered to take it off and put it on correctly.   At that point, I came to the realization that the tire was nearing the end of its life, and it might be dicey finishing out riding at START and returning home.  I am still learning about the nuances of the new motorcycle, and I found out the hard way that the 2020 RT is going to go through tires quicker than my 07 RT.  He told me that he brought some tires with him, and that he would put a new tire on for me.  Brad stated that he would wait for me to return from riding on Friday and he would change the tire then.  I returned from my Friday ride a lot later than planned, and he was waiting for me with the tire ready to go. I was flabbergasted. He installed a new PR5 GT that he had with him, and balanced it.  He refused to let me assist him, stating it was easier for him to do it himself.   As you can see in the photo, Brad is doing the grunt work while I do the heavy looking on, discussing Brad's fine workmanship with William.  He had the trust in me to pay him for the tire through PayPal when I returned home.  I cannot thank Brad enough for his work and his trust.  You are a good man Sir.   

image.jpeg.7a52b7224f73bbcce1fd9512e6cfcecf.jpeg

• Like 9

@Ron-M , I did help him sort out the weights, but did not do the math on the total.  Randy had the answer before I picked up the kit.  :yes:

@TEWKSthat was a great video, despite me being in it.  :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
RandyShields

Home early afternoon on Sunday.  Picked up a few Coddiwomple challenge photos on the way.  Many thanks to Dave and the BBR crew for a job well done.  One of the best motels we've stayed at.  Gracie the pup made things even warmer.

Bernie, wonderful routes.  For the first time I did one of the shorter loops on Friday -- the CCW 100 miler.  (Pretty spent after chasing Chris K and the GS guys around on Thur.) Fantastic roads on the loop and I didn't have to go to bed by 8 pm!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Tom and Jerry (!) & I spent the night in Campbellsville Kentucky this morning Tom took

some back roads with us for 2 hours and then headed for Chicago.

20210426_101625.thumb.jpg.90e47f78ccbc1e43ff0bedade6843043.jpg

And then there were two...

20210426_114630.thumb.jpg.73f7990a10381c679d04efda0c0c65b0.jpg

20210426_114649.thumb.jpg.45895d4cbe0a0c475c9582abf36525d7.jpg

20210426_110408.thumb.jpg.b31ef59abbdcaf14aa1e0448d4a88735.jpg20210426_115841.thumb.jpg.5d416843db7bb04b5011c75071bdcc80.jpg

• Like 8

Big shout out to Dave and the ART Team- thanks again for putting this together.  Michelle and I had a great time as we always to.  Ready to FART!

Start.jpg

• Like 6
Dave Stephens

@Brunhilde and I got back home to Nashville early yesterday afternoon and I can tell you we had a fantastic time.  

Here's a shot from our Route 5 Roan Mountain ride on Friday

Iron Duff Road over the Pigeon River - Haywood County NC.jpg

• Like 8
terryofperry

Good to see everyone, I had a great trip, a big thanks to Indy Dave for his tireless efforts, to Bernie for awesome routes, to Peter for a great GS(A) route and to all of the BMWST family. It was great to see so many new faces as well.

Terry

• Like 7

Enjoyed seeing everyone as well. Thanks Dave for all the hard work. Looking forward to getting together in the fall. Have a safe summer, all!

• Like 3

If it weren’t for the beware of “dogs and shotguns” sign :classic_biggrin: I would of loved to go peek at this 57 out behind the motel. Not that I need another money sucking habit in my life but, old cars and trucks are cool! :cool:

image.thumb.jpeg.5b6c570d85c5f21762d95391b09a693b.jpeg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

If it weren’t for the beware of “dogs and shotguns” sign :classic_biggrin: I would of loved to go peek at this 57 out behind the motel. Not that I need another money sucking habit in my life but, old cars and trucks are cool! :cool:

image.thumb.jpeg.5b6c570d85c5f21762d95391b09a693b.jpeg

I noticed that too upon arrival.  Had a black one around 1965...can't remember what happened to it (and NO, not related to Woodstock syndrome....):D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1