IGNORED

START - Maggie Valley Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour 2021

Indy Dave

1 hour ago, TSConver said:

Just got my first BMW and thinking about coming.  How do these work.  People just group up or are there organized rides on the routes that are marked?  Wife might come and ride back seat, do many wives or significant others comes?  

Congrats on the first BMW.   I hope you found lodging.  The rooms that were set aside for the group are all taken.  Some folks are still hoping for cancelations with others staying across the area.

There are a few riders that tend to gravitate towards each other, but for the most part people gather in the lot each morning to see the goings-on.  Nothing official; people come and go as they please.   As far as wife riding along, that enters a different  scenario, as my wife will be with me and I DAMN SURE don't ride those routes with her on the back like I ride solo.  Oh, no.   :4907:

@Indy Dave will be along to give a better idea of what more to expect.  

Hope to see you there!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TSConver said:

Just got my first BMW and thinking about coming.  How do these work.  People just group up or are there organized rides on the routes that are marked?  Wife might come and ride back seat, do many wives or significant others comes?  

Good Morniing TSConver. And welcome to the brand and board!

I want to point out that the host motel - Maggie Valley Creekside is sold out. However, you can  find accommodations in nearby Cherokee and Waynesville.

The ART's ( START - Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour and FART - Fall Appalachian Riding Tour) are not a traditional 'rally' per se - where folks ride in to the event and hang out at the hotel, with daily events and activities spread  throughout the event. These events are about riding the great roads offered by N. Georgia, TN, NC, VA, WV and KY. So most folks ride here to..... ride!

Having said that, this year Boxfler will be doing a complete 12k service Tech Day on the R1200 Wethead Thursday starting at 3pm.

Wives are always welcome - and there are at least five couples who will be joining us.

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders are in the process of revising our "What to expect" - but here's the long version:

Welcome to the BMWSportTouring.com “ARTS” events. These events tend to be loosely structured, allowing riders to make their own way, on their own schedule, meet like-minded riders, check out each other’s bikes and share great camaraderie. 

So, what can you expect?

1. The arrival day is flexible, many arrive on Wednesday, some later.  Join us on whatever day fits into your schedule.
  2. We do not organize any 'group' rides. GPS routes of differing lengths will be posted and most of us pick one of those for each day.  These routes are famously outstanding! They will be released about a month before the event.
  3. This year we are excited to introduce off-asphalt route options for those with GS/ADV bikes.  Don't worry--these "GS" routes are only mildly challenging.  They will provide numerous outstanding views and will be a blast to ride.  It is recommended that you should have at least 80/20 (like TKC-70's) or 90/10 (like Anakee 3's) ADV tires on your bike for these routes.
  4. Riding groups are typically small from 1-4 or 6 max riding together.  Also some riders have a fairly brisk riding style while others are more leisurely.  In the parking lot the evening before, you generally can find riders that match your style and ask to join them the following day.
  5. At the end of the day, the hotel parking lot becomes a social gathering with riders sharing their :5590:version of the day's ride and other stories, often while sampling adult beverages. There is an enthusiastic Bourbon contingent and allegedly we have some home distillers in our midst. One provides their own refreshments - but plenty of sharing takes place.  This is the opportunity to put a face behind a board name and to check out farkels.
  6. While our dining isn’t fancy, it’s enjoyable.  Our newest tradition is Endobob's Pizza Extravaganza on Thursday night. This happens at the hotel and the cost is whatever the pizza itself costs.  On Friday night we have a group meal together. Details for the meal are announced about a month before the event. We try to have these catered or have a food truck come to the hotel. Other times we will do a meal at restaurant.  We expect the socializing to precede dinner so we will make sure dinner is withing walking distance of the hotel.

A couple reminders:

• Look over your bike and tires and have your maintenance completed before the trip. If your tires are questionable, resist the urge to get every last mile out of them and change them before the trip. Why waste half a day or more of great riding to get tires changed
  • Gas up each evening and be ready to leave at "Kick stands up" with a full tank.
  • Pair your communications units the night before and have your routes planned and loaded in your GPS prior to departure time.
  • Once under way, if you need to stop to make an adjustment or fiddle with something, do so when it's safe. Don't ignore the problem/issue and just keep on riding - it will only distract you. Your group partners will not mind.
  • Do not ride above your comfort level! If you find the group is riding at a quicker pace than you’re used to, stay in your comfort zone and resist the urge to push limits. The group will wait at the next junction.

We’re looking forward to seeing everyone.

Please feel free to contact me or post here if we can help in any way!

• Like 2
Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, Bernie said:

If you have the time, you could plan a more southern route, spend a few days in southern Colorado, then head over to the Ozarks and wind your way into Northern Alabama, Southern Tennessee.

Ahhh Bernie...

I find having a GPS in a car or truck to be a handy tool. They are horribly pretentious on a bike. I'm bringing das Gerate along so I have the routes, if I can figure out a good mount for it in the K13S' rather cramped cockpit.

My schemes and dreams for this trip are to avoid interstate highways and to visit my brother and sister in Cut & Shoot, Texas. From there I can wander east through Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, etc. I'm toying with the idea of going through Salida  and Gunnison on the way home, if the K bike's need for speed doesn't take control...

Arizona Highway Patrol: I have you doing 110 mph.
Me: I've been doing it for four states.

@Bernie I do need some help though. After START I plan on riding the BRP for a couple of days and then cooling my heals at Cape Hatteras for a day or two before turning for home. I'd like to meet up with @Endobobsomewhere that would be a day ride for him. Can you help me out?

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

Ahhh Bernie...

I find having a GPS in a car or truck to be a handy tool. They are horribly pretentious on a bike. I'm bringing das Gerate along so I have the routes, if I can figure out a good mount for it in the K13S' rather cramped cockpit.

My schemes and dreams for this trip are to avoid interstate highways and to visit my brother and sister in Cut & Shoot, Texas. From there I can wander east through Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, etc. I'm toying with the idea of going through Salida  and Gunnison on the way home, if the K bike's need for speed doesn't take control...

@Bernie I do need some help though. After START I plan on riding the BRP for a couple of days and then cooling my heals at Cape Hatteras for a day or two before turning for home. I'd like to meet up with @Endobobsomewhere that would be a day ride for him. Can you help me out?

I use the Gerät to force myself to use the interesting and small roads. 
If you are coming through Texas, you may want to try to catch some of the north west corner of Arkansas and the eastern border of Oklahoma, there are some great roads in that area and you really only have to stay out of the way of the racing pickups. They love cornering on two wheels. 🤣
As for the northern portion of your trip, I think @TEWKS would be more helpful.
I will try find my tracks from the MOA rally in Vermont later, that would at least get you north of PA and into W-NY. 

• Like 2
Dennis Andress
18 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I will try find my tracks from the MOA rally in Vermont later, that would at least get you north of PA and into W-NY. 

I wish. Out of consideration of the neighborhood kids who will be taking care of my dog and cats while I'm gone I want to keep this trip down to less than four weeks. I think Roanoke will be my limit.

• Like 1

@TSConver And anyone else looking to join us - you won't find any rooms via search engines or travel sites. There is another event in town and the town is booked. You're very unlikely to find a room at the nicer places - but, it never hurts to try calling.You'll need to call the local numbers to talk with the hotels.

Here's what I can offer:

Waters Edge - next door to our host hotel - has 5 rooms available - each with 2 Full Size Beds - fridge, microwave, dishes, etc. The accommodations are probably not on par with The Carlyle  :16:, but nothing is in Maggie. :5147:

Water's Edge Motor Court & RV

132 Scott Cir, Maggie Valley, NC 28751

You might also try calling River Point Lodge

https://www.riverpointlodge.com/

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

@TSConver And anyone else looking to join us - you won't find any rooms via search engines or travel sites. There is another event in town and the town is booked. You're very unlikely to find a room at the nicer places - but, it never hurts to try calling.You'll need to call the local numbers to talk with the hotels.

Here's what I can offer:

Waters Edge - next door to our host hotel - has 5 rooms available - each with 2 Full Size Beds - fridge, microwave, dishes, etc. The accommodations are probably not on par with The Carlyle  :16:, but nothing is in Maggie. :5147:

Water's Edge Motor Court & RV

132 Scott Cir, Maggie Valley, NC 28751

You might also try calling River Point Lodge

https://www.riverpointlodge.com/

Have to consult with my wife, several cabins also seem available.

On 3/24/2021 at 12:47 PM, TSConver said:

Also is there any affiliation with the MOA ride the same weekend in Fontana?  Or just happening at the same time?

No - But imitation  is the best form of flattery! :4296:  While BMWST.com is a BMWMOA Chapter Club, and many of our members are also MOA and RA Members - this particular event is not affiliated with the MOA. As a rule of thumb - START is held the last full weekend of April and FART is held the last full weekend of September. Like anything, exceptions occur now and again. FART will be held Sept 22-26 this year, and the location will be announced at dinner Friday night in Maggie Valley. 

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

I wish. Out of consideration of the neighborhood kids who will be taking care of my dog and cats while I'm gone I want to keep this trip down to less than four weeks. I think Roanoke will be my limit.

I don't think you need to worry about the neighborhood kids, they be fine.

But really anywhere is West Virginia or western VA should be great riding, after START.

I just hope all the small narrow roads (goat paths & pig trails) in NC/VA/TN/W-VA don't bend the frame of the K bike.

You may end up trading that bike for a GS or RT by the end of START. :4323:

@twistyguy and @marcopolo will be heading back to DC area after the event and maybe able to give you a few pointers. Besides they have the secret contact info for @Endobob, now that he finally retired. :old:

Another good source for road advice is @roadscholar, he has a GPS as a mind. He knows all the roads in the USA.

Hopefully one of them or someone else with some local knowledge will chime in and get some info to stay entertained.

• Like 1

The MOA is just trying to copy us, since everyone knows, this is the best riding area west of the Alps. :4607:

Even some of the bike travel publications are starting to try to copy us. 

• Like 5
  • Smile 1
1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

Here's what I can offer:

I have a reservation for a two bed room about 3-4 miles from the host hotel over in Waynesville. PM me and I'll share the details with whoever wants and then I will cancel

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, Bernie said:

Even some of the bike travel publications are starting to try to copy us. 

That's kind of what happened to Torrey.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
4 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

That's kind of what happened to Torrey.

Yes that is why we try not share our routes with the world. Use the routes for your personal use, but don’t post on route sharing sites. 

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Yes that is why we   try not   DON'T  share our routes with the world. Use the routes for your personal use, but don’t post on route sharing sites. 

Fixed it for ya! :wave:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Confession and suggestion time.

I plan on being here at the Little Switzerland Inn on Tuesday the 20th. So far so good, now the confession part. :classic_blush: While talking to them at the Inn I asked if I could possibly leave a vehicle there (4 wheels that is) for a few days and they said, no problem! :yes: So :whistle: I’m thinking about trucking the bike down to that point.

Now the suggestion part is for Dennis, I certainly wouldn’t mind his company on the ride back up the parkway to retrieve my truck. Mt Mitchell and the Diamondback would be doable before I had to load and go. Dennis could spend Sunday night at the Inn sitting on the patio overlooking an awesome view before making his next days decision. ;)

• Like 1

The UnRally at Little Switzerland is a great place and that is the event where I met Pat the first time.

A must see area with great roads for any rider.

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
18 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Now the suggestion part is for Dennis, I certainly wouldn’t mind his company on the ride back up the parkway to retrieve my truck. Mt Mitchell and the Diamondback would be doable before I had to load and go. Dennis could spend Sunday night at the Inn sitting on the patio overlooking an awesome view before making his next days decision. ;)

I know nothing :hide 

@EndobobDoes that get me within day ride distance?

@TEWKS  My back tire will either be brand new ow mostly gone about then.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Dennis Andress said:

@EndobobDoes that get me within day ride distance?

That should be doable I believe. :thumbsup: But then again, I just confessed to being a trucker. :rofl:

13 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

@TEWKS  My back tire will either be brand new ow mostly gone about then.

You have a BMW dealer just east in Asheville, NC or in Robbinsville is Wheelers, who always has a huge supply of tires.

Since your K bike takes a larger rear tire than BoxFlyers RT, you may have to make some arrangements ahead of time, if you want him to help you replace a tire. I am sure he would have room on his trailer for an extra tire or two.

Dennis Andress
26 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Since your K bike takes a larger rear tire than BoxFlyers RT, you may have to make some arrangements ahead of time, if you want him to help you replace a tire. I am sure he would have room on his trailer for an extra tire or two.

Thank you!  @Boxflyer how would that work?

roadscholar
9 hours ago, TEWKS said:

That sounds like a good plan. Here's a suggestion for after that and I know Dennis said Roanoke but there's some nice stuff just a little further northeast. The Parkway is great but can actually get a little boring after awhile and you cannot make time on it so around Boone I'd get on 221/58/221. There are some cool little towns along there in southern Va. then maybe 220 north of Roanoke or one of the smaller parallel roads up to 33. Then west over to I-79 (East version of sweeper madness) to Charleston and slab it back West. The Great Plains are boring from St. Louis to Denver but they're boring everywhere.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Thank you!  @Boxflyer how would that work?

I plan on bringing about 3 sets of tires listed above…(Dunlop RS3 rear 180/55ZR-17 and Bridgestone T31GT front 120/70ZR-17). I also have several partially used tires for K1200/1300 and K1600 that I will bring just in case someone mis-judges how much fun it is to use their throttle on these routes.

I'm also bringing some of my extra rims that may be of interest to someone for the Swap Meet along with all the extra helmets and riding gear I can fit into my truck and 14ft trailer.

If you wanted to stage a tire there at the motel in Maggie Valley, I could mount/balance it if you let me know that's what you plan to do.

I plan to ride as much as possible while at the START as it's an AWESOME area that I've ridden many times…

On another note about maintenance, I have a GS-911 Professional version with use on unlimited VINs, so if you have a service light for oil change mileage or calendar date past due, I can reset that on your bike.  I can connect to both the round style as well as the new OBD2 connectors.

(Please reference what bikes the GS-911 can do this reset…it's not for everything)

Let me know if anyone else has any special maintenance needs I can help with…I'm bringing extra standard service items too.

Boxflyer

720DD70C-7960-490E-AF1D-62A3BB1F6611_1_105_c.jpeg

CA6E6EAE-583F-45EA-9002-8887CBC4AA36_1_105_c.jpeg

90B5178C-D70C-4789-B48A-FC9C8387C9A5_1_105_c.jpeg

BE6FC41E-2E8A-4781-91A3-8C8305A5C9F4_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 4

Looks like me and the wife are coming.  Got a small cottage in the valley reserved.

Any cigar smokers?  Enjoy a good stick with good bourbon or scotch.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, Boxflyer said:

I plan to ride as much as possible while at the START as it's an AWESOME area that I've ridden many times…

Yeah, there's that. I have a No-Mar but try not to take it out in public. The back tire has about 3,000 miles on it. Looking at it closely it becomes plain that the center section will be gone long before North Carolina (there's strong evidence Utah backroads are made out of velcro). I will order a tire and change it before I leave.

Thanks!

• Like 2
Lone_RT_rider
2 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

Yeah, there's that. I have a No-Mar but try not to take it out in public. The back tire has about 3,000 miles on it. Looking at it closely it becomes plain that the center section will be gone long before North Carolina (there's strong evidence Utah backroads are made out of velcro). I will order a tire and change it before I leave.

Thanks!

Especially the roads up by fish lake, north of Torrey (sweeper madness?). Those roads will take 2000 miles off your tire in 30 miles. Or, so I think I remember from wiping Mitch's tire off my visor in 2011. 

Shawn

• Haha 2
Dennis Andress
6 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Especially the roads up by fish lake, north of Torrey (sweeper madness?). Those roads will take 2000 miles off your tire in 30 miles. Or, so I think I remember from wiping Mitch's tire off my visor in 2011. 

Shawn

Now I know why...

_DSC0149-L.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Lone_RT_rider

Sweet jesus who is that rolly polly man with a L/D ratio = 1?  I've been making that face since the first time I ran deals gap in 2000.  LOL

Shawn

P.S. Thankfully I have given up that form for lent. 

image.png.e511eafc94092d8d56745e1a9a7bf66b.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
26 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

Thanks!

I hate to tell you, by the time you are done having fun in Maggie Valley, you probably need another tire to get home. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, TSConver said:

Looks like me and the wife are coming.  Got a small cottage in the valley reserved.

Any cigar smokers?  Enjoy a good stick with good bourbon or scotch.

Plenty of Cigar smokers, bourbon and scotch drinkers.  Will be happy to join you!

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, MikeB60 said:

I keep a spare set of K bike tires at the house next to the tire machine if things get critical on Sunday!

Options are good, thank you.

Laney and I would get around 6500 miles on PR2s with the 2009 K13Ss. I'm thinking this trip will be under 6K round trip. So I'll probably make it home on trashed tires. Won't be the first time.

ZDSC0083-L.jpg

• Like 4
On 3/24/2021 at 3:03 PM, Bernie said:

Yes that is why we try not share our routes with the world. Use the routes for your personal use, but don’t post on route sharing sites. 

Are you kidding? I have them on ebay to the highest bidder.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
18 minutes ago, KDeline said:

Are you kidding? I have them on ebay to the highest bidder.......

No problem, as long as I get my 75% commission. :4607:

Baby needs tires!

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
On 3/24/2021 at 10:46 AM, Dennis Andress said:

I feel ya...

20210325_163416.thumb.jpg.5c9a2029d7922db1df28d61e1d5fd2e8.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, S.O.B. said:

Plenty of Cigar smokers, bourbon and scotch drinkers.  Will be happy to join you!

Since we’re on the subject, whatcha bringing?  

12 hours ago, greiffster said:

Cigars?  of course some Foundation Charter Oaks, CAO Flatheads, and probably some others.  Bourbon?  not sure just yet- have a bottle of double oaked Woodford that needs open.  

13 hours ago, greiffster said:

How's your signature line of liquid courage?

@EricInIndy Has been working on his potent craft spirits, in addition to ordering a new GS. :bike:

Dennis Andress
On 3/9/2021 at 9:59 AM, Dennis Andress said:

20210308_174324.jpg

I try to keep this place a secret too. A part of Zion Natl Park with far fewer people, good hiking, and five year old asphalt. 25 miles from home on a road marked 80 mph :whistle:. Our weather the last week has been unsettled. We don't get much rain but we do get a lot of drama. Today the weather broke enough to go back. Temps were in the low 40's with light snow flurries.

20210326_153413.jpg

Once I got down out of the mountains I found this waiting.

20210326_155242.jpg

• Like 5
14 hours ago, S.O.B. said:

Cigars?  of course some Foundation Charter Oaks, CAO Flatheads, and probably some others.  Bourbon?  not sure just yet- have a bottle of double oaked Woodford that needs open.  

I’ve got some Gran Habanos I’ve been enjoying. The double oak is quite good. I’m trying to find an Old Forrester 1920 Prohibition Style to bring. 

• Smile 1
13 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

How's your signature line of liquid courage?

@EricInIndy Has been working on his potent craft spirits, in addition to ordering a new GS. :bike:

Nice. Batch 003 will be in the sidebag. 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, greiffster said:

I’ve got some Gran Habanos I’ve been enjoying. The double oak is quite good. I’m trying to find an Old Forrester 1920 Prohibition Style to bring. 

I've got an Old Forrester 100 and a Jonahs Mill 114 that I am bringing 

• Like 2
Lone_RT_rider

You mean you're supposed to actually eat at these events?  hmmmmm.... I need to get a Gold wing.  Ride to eat, eat to ride!

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1