IGNORED

START - Maggie Valley Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour 2021

Indy Dave

9 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

@TSConver The General rule is... that this would have also been posted on the first post in the START thread. But, when I just went there to look for it, I notice that I Bumbled and didn't double poet it there - so apologizes! :4617:

Friday's group Dinner will be serviced by Appalachian Smoke BBQ from the Creekside Inn Parking area at 6:30pm :eat:

http://www.appalachiansmoke.com/

Cool, BBQ is usually good to go but I will contact them directly.

Dave Stephens
On 3/25/2021 at 8:05 AM, Boxflyer said:

I plan on bringing about 3 sets of tires listed above…(Dunlop RS3 rear 180/55ZR-17 and Bridgestone T31GT front 120/70ZR-17). I also have several partially used tires for K1200/1300 and K1600 that I will bring just in case someone mis-judges how much fun it is to use their throttle on these routes.

I'm also bringing some of my extra rims that may be of interest to someone for the Swap Meet along with all the extra helmets and riding gear I can fit into my truck and 14ft trailer.

If you wanted to stage a tire there at the motel in Maggie Valley, I could mount/balance it if you let me know that's what you plan to do.

I plan to ride as much as possible while at the START as it's an AWESOME area that I've ridden many times…

On another note about maintenance, I have a GS-911 Professional version with use on unlimited VINs, so if you have a service light for oil change mileage or calendar date past due, I can reset that on your bike.  I can connect to both the round style as well as the new OBD2 connectors.

(Please reference what bikes the GS-911 can do this reset…it's not for everything)

Let me know if anyone else has any special maintenance needs I can help with…I'm bringing extra standard service items too.

Boxflyer

CA6E6EAE-583F-45EA-9002-8887CBC4AA36_1_105_c.jpeg

Hey Boxflyer, I sent you a message to discuss a maintenance item so giving you a heads up here in the thread :-)

On 4/4/2021 at 6:45 PM, TEWKS said:

Mike, you know they’ll continue to make work forever. ;)

My plan is to truck it (no really truck it) :classic_biggrin: down to Meadowview Va. on Monday and snooze at a truck stop there. Wake and drive the last hundred to Little Switzerland and unload the bike. I’ve got a nice 100 + mile day ride mapped out to find Douglas Falls on Tuesday and then on to MV Wednesday. :thumbsup:

edit

Oops, map trick didn’t work. 

image.jpeg.2a08b46a69c8fcf732ae8bf26f3ea2d0.jpeg

TEWKS,

If you can't find that waterfall, we've got a few like that one not far from MV.  This one (Bridal Veil Falls) is on US 64 just north of Highlands, NC.  That's the old roadway (and my bro with his airhead) under it:

ACtC-3d5g74L4ujOoXDo6fnAXBQ6AlYcIQVOhFU6

This one ("Dry Falls" - don't ask me) is where they filmed "Last of the Mohicans", if you remember the waterfall scene, and just up the road from the one above:

ACtC-3eH4ekTa4ogEfScfaxe9RPu60v8drjfXmQw

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/26/2021 at 9:31 PM, greiffster said:

I’ve got some Gran Habanos I’ve been enjoying. The double oak is quite good. I’m trying to find an Old Forrester 1920 Prohibition Style to bring. 

found it.
IMG_5123.thumb.jpg.725ead9834f72d817eb868c68345b610.jpg
6 minutes ago, greiffster said:

74 on the list!! 

:clap:

Heck you may have to call it a cramdemic! :spittake: 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, greiffster said:
found it.
IMG_5123.thumb.jpg.725ead9834f72d817eb868c68345b610.jpg

Prohibition Style = Distilled thru a 1922 Studebaker radiator.

I'll take mine with a splash of stumpwater, please.

• Haha 2
lawnchairboy

The official BMWST initiation sheep is in fine form.  The vet gave him a 100% clean bill of health.  BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
22 hours ago, TSConver said:

Cool, BBQ is usually good to go but I will contact them directly.

i hope they will be serving the baby back ribs :-) 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

e official BMWST initiation sheep is in fine form.  The vet gave him a 100% clean bill of health.  BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Is there a sign up sheet  ??

• Thinking 1
5 minutes ago, TSConver said:

I hope.the forecast imprroves.  Right now Saturday looks pretty iffy.

No you didn't.:bike:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TSConver said:

Yes, leaving at 6am Wed in Akron, 35deg and snow. gonna be a bit of a chilly ride down.

35 minutes ago, MachineJoe said:

Yes, leaving at 6am Wed in Akron, 35deg and snow. gonna be a bit of a chilly ride down.

Snow??? Yikes!!

2 hours ago, TSConver said:

First rule of riding in the mountains. Never believe the forecast, ever!

• Haha 1

My ever-informative weather prognosticator advised me of the cool temperatures ahead.  I aksed her if it will be raining and she told me that there is a chance on Saturday;  currently at 50%, which means there is a 50% chance the it won't rain.   So we got THAT going for us, which is nice.  

Dennis Andress
4 hours ago, greiffster said:

No you didn't.:bike:

I'll need to do laundry  by then anyway.

Lone_RT_rider

Every Spring event people antagonize about the weather. Every fall event people pack all the gear they can and just ride. 

Quit stressing and follow the fall plan in the Spring. 

• Like 7
RandyShields
2 hours ago, Foot said:

First related rule.  Always bring your heated vest/jacket, even in the summer!

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Foot said:

Second rule: Don’t wash your bike until after the event!:rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also my saying has always been  that weather forecasters are like politicians, you can’t believe most of what they say. 
PS: your bikes where made for outdoor use. 

:4322:

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Bernie said:

Second rule: Don’t wash your bike until after the event!:rofl:

Wait... I'm supposed to wash my bike!?! :4323:

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Wife asked if I had considered leaving on Tuesday afternoon (low 60's) instead of Wed morning (low 30's and snow).

I thanked her for the great idea

She's been on the phone with her friends since then!

Should I be worried? :5146:

• Haha 3
  • Thinking 1
30 minutes ago, MachineJoe said:

Wife asked if I had considered leaving on Tuesday afternoon (low 60's) instead of Wed morning (low 30's and snow).

Suggest you don't worry and consider leaving on Monday and get in an extra couple of days of riding. :18:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Can it be blamed on the GPS?

Blamed...:dontknow: I congratulate my GPS when it finds me stuff like that! :spittake:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

For those of you who might be using this as an excuse to collect some challenges for that "other website,"  I am posting some gpx files for the states of NC, SC, TN, and GA.  They contain  coordinates for nearby places.  There are two files for each state, one in gpx format so that you can load it in Basecamp, and transfer to your GPS.  The other is a text file with CSV formatting that you can look at to see what's nearby.  The distance is listed from Maggie Valley.  For example, Galamore Branch NC is only 9 miles from Maggie Valley, and has the word "Alamo" embedded in it.  :thumbsup: 

enjoy, Cap

NCchallenges.gpx NCchallenges.txt SCchallenges.gpx SCchallenges.txt TNchallenges.gpx TNchallenges.txt GAchallenges.gpx GAchallenges.txt

• Like 1

It was 37° F last nite in Suches, GA, less than 100 miles south of MV.  Couple of friends were camping there and one of them forgot the tent poles.  Said it was a long nite.

All tuned up and tested.  GETTING CLOSE!!

Tic

Toc

Tic

Toc

• Like 2
Lone_RT_rider
On 4/17/2021 at 8:09 PM, TEWKS said:

Blamed...:dontknow: I congratulate my GPS when it finds me stuff like that! :spittake:

Pat, between you and me that makes one of us.  :D LOL  

I loathe gravel..... 

• Haha 2

Well, it looks like I'll have to wait until FART.  My brother in law had a heart attack yesterday, and I don't think I should head down there.  I just cancelled my room at the Creekside Lodge. It's a two bed room.  Have a good time, and I hope to see you in the fall.

• Sad 3
On 4/17/2021 at 11:05 AM, MachineJoe said:

Joe - 

I'm facing the same issue - leaving from Columbus and trying to decide if I go Wed night or Thursday morning... or leave today to beat the snow. (At least I'm a little further south of you so we're only supposed to get flurries)  

Jim

Jim,  I would join you but I had to cancel as my moms health is failing.

I was so looking forward to meeting everyone but it was not meant to be this time.

Safe travels to everyone. I hope to meet everyone at the next event.

Anyone need a cabin?  Mine maybe available.  Woke up this morning to a dead refrigerator.  Got a guy coming tomorrow.  Depends on repair time if I can make it.  My place is not refundable so hoping someone might take it.

Anyone need a room for Friday and Saturday nights?  Looks like I will be heading home Friday and before I cancel the weekend nights wanted to post here.  

Also,  I am looking for a room for Wednesday night ... trying to arrive early and leave early. 

Well I guess the gods were with me .... I got my same room for Wednesday and cancelled Friday and Saturday so if anyone needs the weekend a room is open. 

• Like 1

Some Fowl Play in the start to my START and it was a wise choice. A truck blew a tire right in front of me today on I-81 BOOM!! No big deal because of the fowl play mentioned. ;)

4E4EF4BE-E018-4729-9C55-B1BB43017571.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Well looks like I'll be in North Carolina for the next three weeks or so but not in Maggie Valley. Y'all have fun, hopefully we can make it to FART.  

• Sad 5

Mike, We'll miss you and DyAnne. 

Burt - sorry to hear about your brother in law, hope things work out for the best.

Joe, wishing for the best as well. See you at FART.

It's nice down here.

20210419_160743.thumb.jpg.6ea45ef29d7cd491a19571cdd5bb4578.jpg

IMG_5460.thumb.jpg.2f14c4d1321a032e11a7d11060fa00c0.jpg

20210418_202008.thumb.jpg.eebe1d010658a8595ace2e7d9e6e9ea4.jpg

20210418_211154.thumb.jpg.0e7b91d2b25e57cc0ab2b95613e8a43c.jpg

• Like 6