IGNORED

START - Maggie Valley Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour 2021

Indy Dave

They even had a sign stating that it was a private bridge.  It may be the owners' residence.  Laura said she saw a lady walking that brown dog go from there into the hotel at some back entrance.

• Like 1

@RTinNC and others interested,  the jpg. image I have of the BMW roundel with wings does NOT have Ken Insley's in-memorium printed on it; just the roundel and wings.  Sorry for the confusion.

On 4/28/2021 at 3:59 PM, wbw6cos said:

@RTinNC and others interested,  the jpg. image I have of the BMW roundel with wings does NOT have Ken Insley's in-memorium printed on it; just the roundel and wings.  Sorry for the confusion.

I was interesting in 1) getting a Ken Insley sticker and 2) info on where I can get stickers made.  I can get the artwork I need done but not sure where to get them made. 

There are plenty of online opportunities out there.  I have yet to use one, but I will be shopping around for getting a sticker or two and possibly some t-shirts.   From the limited research I have done, they are fairly simple as most companies allow images to be uploaded and the use of editing software for customizing.

The main issue I have with my t-shirt guy is that he operates as a small business and wants a minimum quantity (15) ordered to make it worth his while.   Some online places have no minimum orders as they are set-up with huge production facilities.  I just have not got a round to it yet.

Hey you all this is me late to the party again! Just want to give a shout out to everybody that made this such an enjoyable time and indy Dave and everybody else that put this thing together . It was a great location and I had an awesome time meeting you all I'm hoping to see you in the fall

• Like 5

I do believe there's some beer being made around Black Mountain and Asheville also! Seems like North Carolina's a hotbed of microbrews anyway so I don't see us having a problem!

• Like 4

Thanks one and all for a great START to the riding season! The ART Team was happy to see so many old friends and to meet and make so many new friends! We would also like to give a huge Twist of the Wrist to Brad @Boxflyer  for his selfless efforts in not only thoroughly demonstrating Wethead service, but for all of the repairs, parts, tires and advice he provided to our group - often having a late, cold dinner at night due to working on bikes till dusk or later. :5185: Thanks so much Brad ! :5185:

* Please post your photos from your trip to the START Gallery (even if you've posted them in this thread!). The gallery doesn't compress the photos, and having the photos in one place is easier than searching through the 11 pages of this thread. link:

I'll be posting a few videos from the event here, and in a week or so, we will START the FART thread and post the registration information. The ART Team has been busy at work on FART and we'll have some additions and  - as always - improvements for the coming events. Please feel free to PM with your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks again one and all!

Here's a very brief 4K video from our ride home:

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, RTinNC said:

I was interesting in 1) getting a Ken Insley sticker and 2) info on where I can get stickers made.  I can get the artwork I need done but not sure where to get them made. 

@RTinNC  Ed - PM me your address and I'll send you a sticker.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, TSConver said:

DO we have a Facebook page? YouTube channel? If not we should think about setting them up.

...on the other hand.....Some people don't do facebook.  I belonged to a riding club which started putting stuff on facebook.  The club forum dried up, and the club is now a shadow of its old self.     This forum seems to work quite well...."if it ain't broke, don't mess with it"

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Boring ride video.

Not boring...BEAUTIFUL!  Wasn't it great to ride through such beauty with very little traffic?!

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
2 minutes ago, BamaJohn said:

...on the other hand.....Some people don't do facebook.  I belonged to a riding club which started putting stuff on facebook.  The club forum dried up, and the club is now a shadow of its old self.     This forum seems to work quite well...."if it ain't broke, don't mess with it"

Agree heartily.  Don't want to look up > one place for information and happenings.  There's already a FB page or subset. https://www.facebook.com/groups/42205615020

7 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

Agree 100%

F16Viper68

It was great seeing everyone again.  Nice to see life returning to normal.  :)  Big thanks to everyone who put the time in to make START a success.  

Dave...

• Like 3
Indy Dave

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. :5590:

BMWST.com is the one stop shop for the ART's - it always has been and always will be. BMWST does have a Facebook Page, and we do a couple of ART posts per event there - just as a reminder for any of those folks to head over here for current information.

One of the many great things about our space here at BMWST, in addition to the members, knowledge and galleries, is that every ART event is archived here, including the predecessor events that started it all. Facebook can't do that.

1919082800_InkedScreenshot_2021-04-30AppalachianRidingTour4_LI.thumb.jpg.fdce49a26ab7ebfa0e99422c69c91b48.jpg

One way to keep up to date on the ART's is to subscribe to the  current thread - then you'll get a email when there is a new post.

808651008_InkedScreenshot_2021-04-30START-MaggieValleySpringTune-upAppalachianRidingTour2021_LI.thumb.jpg.0152194f933de501ec64d023e817816c.jpg

You can also subscribe to the ART Topic - and that will notify you when new ART posts and threads are started . . . .

809064459_InkedScreenshot_2021-04-30AppalachianRidingTour_LI.thumb.jpg.40472ca7166ac6298464737c1929c8e4.jpg

About ART stickers - it's not really a sticky subject :ohboy:.... A couple of you have asked me about stickers, and I appreciate your thoughts.  We will elaborate more about this in the coming weeks, as well as some other exciting plans we're working on. So stay tuned. And subscribe. Here.

Indy Dave and The Bumbling BackRoad Riders

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Matts_12GS
On 4/26/2021 at 4:52 PM, S.O.B. said:

Big shout out to Dave and the ART Team- thanks again for putting this together.  Michelle and I had a great time as we always to.  Ready to FART!

Start.jpg

Sorry I missed seeing you newlyweds there!  We were only in the hotel area for a short time on Friday night

• Like 3
On 3/21/2021 at 11:12 AM, Boxflyer said:

BMW WetHead Tech Session 4/22/2021  3pm Start

Hello fellow START 2021 Participants.

I've coordinated with The Bumbling BackRoad Riders et al. and will be presenting a BMW WetHead Tech Session on Thursday afternoon 4/22 at the Creekside Lodge. (More sessions may be available based on interest)

The start time for this event is flexible, but will start at 3pm and continue as long as there is interest…well into the pizza…feel free to come and go— based on what your interest is with what will be demonstrated.

This event will be based on doing a 12k Major service on the 2014-2018 WetHead R1200RTW, with special emphasis on doing the Cam Timing Check and Valve Clearance Check that are due at the 12k mile interval on the WetHead engines. ( I also have the Cam Alignment Jigs and tools for the R1250 ShiftCam engines…different Alignment Jigs than WetHead)

In addition, I will also be doing an in-depth brake service and pad replacement on the FR and RR brakes to include dropping the Final Drive to completely remove the driveshaft to lubricate both FR and RR splines of the driveshaft, then demonstration of proper lubrication/sealing of the flexible boots at both ends of the Paralever during reinstallation.

I will be trailering my 2016 R1200RTW to the event to be used as the "lucky patient" so no volunteers will be needed at this time. (Thought you might snag a FREE service HaHa!)

I'm also bringing in my trailer a NoMar tire changing setup that mounts in my receiver hitch, and a portable Marc Parnes balancer with mounting hubs for these bikes listed incase someone needs tires replaced. (all R1200/R1250, R nineT and late K1200/K1300 models except R1200C as well as all K1600 models)

I have several sets of new tires that are the size for the R1200/1250 (both F/R) and R1200/R1250, K1200/K1300, and K1600 fronts. (Dunlop RS3 rear 180/55ZR-17 and Bridgestone T31GT front 120/70ZR-17)

I will have lots and lots of consumable items that would be used during normal 6k/12k service intervals, so if someone breaks down at the event, I'll see what can be done to get you back on the road to enjoy this great opportunity to ride these awesome routes set up by The Bumbling BackRoad Riders!

Here's the link to the R1200RTW 12k/20k KM Scheduled Maintenance 6 Part Series.

Boxflyer R1200RTW 12k/20k KM Scheduled Maintenance Part 1/6

Thanks,

See you in Maggie Valley

Brad Smith

R1200RTW%2012k:20Km%20Scheduled%20Mainte

Valve clearance_12K miles.xlsx

I had done the whole maintenance, a single Excel spread sheet shows what found and what had done. Thank you for the videos, I had saw all of it and re affirm my technical knowledge.

Very good for any person with hands on possibilities and sort mechanical expertise, very very good, thanks!

• Like 1
60Aviator
On 5/2/2021 at 1:20 PM, Matts_12GS said:

Sorry I missed seeing you newlyweds there!  We were only in the hotel area for a short time on Friday night

With the way things are now, which 2 in the photo are the newlyweds? :3:

the super good looking pair with glasses! 

On 5/3/2021 at 9:44 PM, 60Aviator said:

With the way things are now, which 2 in the photo are the newlyweds? :3:

• Like 1
  • Smile 3
terryofperry
42 minutes ago, S.O.B. said:

the super good looking pair with glasses! 

Congratulations Dan and Michelle.

Terry

• Like 3
Lone_RT_rider
On 4/22/2021 at 12:29 PM, TEWKS said:

Keep breaking my own rule “no selfies after twenty” :dontknow: :D

7B534276-C88D-41AB-91EE-34025518FB9F.jpeg

Pat, repeat after me..... "I make this $%#! look gooooooooood"  :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks Shawn! :D It was great having breakfast with you on the way out of town on Sunday morn.

I had an awesome time, the routes I mapped out at home were almost as perfect in real life as they were in my head while plotting them. Half the fun I think. :thumbsup:

I didn’t realize the GS route and my route came together at that funky concrete bridge in the pictures posted. I should have studied Pete’s route before hand. Cuz, I gots lost once! :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
terryofperry
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Thanks Shawn! :D It was great having breakfast with you on the way out of town on Sunday morn.

I had an awesome time, the routes I mapped out at home were almost as perfect in real life as they were in my head while plotting them. Half the fun I think. :thumbsup:

I didn’t realize the GS route and my route came together at that funky concrete bridge in the pictures posted. I should have studied Pete’s route before hand. Cuz, I gots lost once! :D

Only once Pat? You did good then.

Terry

• Haha 2
  • Thinking 1
RandyShields
10 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Keep breaking my own rule “no selfies after twenty”

20 what!  20 bikes?  20 days of riding nonstop? 20 days without shaving (you are from New England)?; Oh, 20 years old.  Sorry, that was a long time ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

(not the official posting) will be Sep 22 -26 in Black Mountain, NC.  Mark your calendar now.    Lodging will be announced in a few weeks.   Stay tuned.   See ya there!

Dennis Andress
4 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

(not the official posting) will be Sep 22 -26 in Black Mountain, NC.  Mark your calendar now.    Lodging will be announced in a few weeks.   Stay tuned.   See ya there!

Next year...

• Like 1
marcopolo
2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Next year...

We're talking September 2021, so no, NOT next year.  This year.  The ARTs (START and FART) are each held every year, so two events per year.  One in April, the other in September.

• Thanks 1
Dennis Andress
5 hours ago, marcopolo said:

We're talking September 2021, so no, NOT next year.  This year.  The ARTs (START and FART) are each held every year, so two events per year.  One in April, the other in September.

Yeah, got that. Two cross country trips in a year would be irresponsible. 

• Haha 3

Dennis, even though you posted about your cross-country excursion, I forgot about all that when I was thinking, yeah - he is in the neighborhood and will stop by every now and then.  :ohboy:

Dennis Andress
13 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Dennis, even though you posted about your cross-country excursion, I forgot about all that when I was thinking, yeah - he is in the neighborhood and will stop by every now and then.  :ohboy:

I know the feeling.

My big dog is getting old. He got walked every day while I was gone but is now moving much slower than before I left.

There's a logistics problem I've got a Kendon trailer and enough truck to get there and back. But an enclosed trailer would be nice. And a nice pop-up truck camper would take the edge off hotel drudgery....

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

I know the feeling.

My big dog is getting old. He got walked every day while I was gone but is now moving much slower than before I left.

There's a logistics problem I've got a Kendon trailer and enough truck to get there and back. But an enclosed trailer would be nicee. And a nice pop-up truck camper would take the edge off hotel drudgery....

Sounds like a plan is developing!

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

I know the feeling.

There's a logistics problem I've got a Kendon trailer and enough truck to get there and back. But an enclosed trailer would be nice. And a nice pop-up truck camper would take the edge off hotel drudgery....

Not a truck camper, but a truck tent

I’ve done three long-distance travel trips in the truck hauling the bike and I’ve come to the scientific conclusion that it is the only way to (censored) travel! :yes: :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
lawnchairboy

I know that place.   proprietor is this experienced young guy who is not known as an early riser. 

:4323:

• Smile 1
  • Haha 2
  • Indy Dave unpinned this topic