IGNORED

Its Rubber Chicken Time Again!!!

OoPEZoO

Nice n Easy Rider
As someone who doesn't use his Zumo 550 for directions all that often I need some help.

I downloaded the maps and then recalculated each one. For the most part the mileages didn't change much. However, for three of the maps (NE254, I think and the next two NE's)the mileage changed significantly (like 50-60 miles). Most of the other maps were either right on or off by only 1-4 miles except the very last one which was off by 10 miles.

I'm using the 09 North American Garmin maps and my Zumo is set for fastest route and to avoid unpaved roads.

George,

I'll post part of the RCR4 Info Booklet, the section on importing routes. Your answers are in there. It's not a 2-second solution, but it is required. One question for you ... why the '09 maps? You're missing out on one heck of a lot of important map updates. For instance, Smoke Hole Rd wasn't even shown as a thru road until last year's maps. So, if you don't update your maps, some routes just won't work as programmed no matter what you do. You'd have to reprogram routes like the ones going through Smoke Hole Rd as we did this in previous year ... as 2-leg segments. And that is a whole lot more work.

In the end, you're going to need to choose between: 1) updating your maps, 2) entirely reprograming any route route majorly affected by map updates, or 3) stop using you Zumo. I'm thinking you're going to want to choose door number 1. :)

Thanks Craig, I've been thinking I need to choose door #1 as well. I'll do that and then go back and recalculate using the settings that you gave.

George, In rereading your post I realized that I answered your question with my first post. The NE routes are the ones that go through Smoke Hole Rd. Without updated maps that show Smoke Hole as one continuousroad, your MapSource is trying it's best to match the programmed route. Since it can't go through that section of roadway, it'll go all the way around the entire area by other means to get to the other side of Smoke Hole.

So, before trying to correct the route, you're going to need to update your maps. If you don't do that, you'll need to reprogram the NE routes on your own as two legs.

After you update your routes, then follow the instructions I provided above ... to every route you think you might want to use during the event.

I'm one step closer to being ready! Dropped my bike off at Morton's BMW this morning for the 30k service and state inspection. Added some more reflective tape to my cases last night. Is it next Thursday yet????

And yes, no matter how fast you are going, a local grandma wearing a moomoo and driving a '97 Buick or some shirtless, ball cap wearing local in a white 4x4 will pass you like you were standing still. :P

Corrected it to match my experiences ... except in general I find WV has more drivers who pull to the right and let you by than other states I've been riding in, especially on the back roads.

Sorry you can't make it this year.

Stupid Mapsource. Found a glitch (with Mapsource, not the files).

I'm running version 2010.2 maps. I knew about Smoke Hole not being connected, so I expected that.......BUT, I also had issues with the Chutes and Ladders routes. For some reason, my version of Mapsource has a break in US33 when it crosses from WV into VA right at the waypoint "Rawley Pike and US 33". Even if I create a new 100ft route across the two state borders, it ends up routing me 14 miles out of the way to connect the waypoints.

It irritated me enough that I think I'm actually going to attempt updating my maps. Wish me luck.

99Roadster

Keep in mind the route will recalculate when it's transferred to the GPS. It may be prudent to check it again on the GPS.

In Mapsource you can also right-click the route, select Duplicate Route, change the color to differentiate from the original, Recalculate the orginal route then compare.

I started using base camp and I like it a lot better than mapsource. I think 2013.10 is out.

Yes it's out. Hence, my previous post ...

MapSource Version

These routes were created using City Navigator North American NT 2013.01.

I started using base camp and I like it a lot better than mapsource. I think 2013.10 is out.

Alan

Alan,

What specifically do you like better about it? I tried using it just a bit a number of weeks ago while working on these routes and found enough things it couldn't do that I decided to give up on it until after I had the routes finished.

For those awaiting the written route directions & maps, don't fret ... I should be finished NLT tomorrow.

WARNING: The booklet is large ... no, with 23 routes it's VERY large. I don't recommend printing it in it's entirety. Just print what you need. You're not going to run all 23 routes this year anyway.

Because of that, I will not be bringing or shipping copies for people. Again, just print what you need.

One day we ought to have a tech day on BaseCamp and Garmin useage. Maybe with a Sena SH10 siminar in the afternoon.

-----

One day we ought to have a tech day on BaseCamp and Garmin useage. Maybe with a Sena SH10 siminar in the afternoon.

-----

Quinn, how about an evening seminar over a beer or two!

Craig, Base Camp seems to be easier changing or correcting routes and working with multiple files.

Alan

Yes, Roadsideamerica.com shows all sorts of oddities amd silliness in WV. I gleaned over their website a few years ago ... hence our trip to the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum a few years ago.

Click Here and SAVE the RCR4 Info.PDF

This contains not only printed route details and maps, but also information about Snowshoe and the general area. Print what you want/need or just sue it on your laptop, Ipad, etc.

Cheers! I'll see you all next week.

Craig, when I try to print from the pdf file I get a message that I need a password in order to do so. Is that because the file resides on dropbox or is it a problem at my end? I'm looking forward to meeting everyone at Snowshoe. In the meantime I'm doing rain-go-away dances.

Click Here and SAVE the RCR4 Info.PDF

This contains not only printed route details and maps, but also information about Snowshoe and the general area. Print what you want/need or just sue it on your laptop, Ipad, etc.

Cheers! I'll see you all next week.

Craig, when I try to print from the pdf file I get a message that I need a password in order to do so. Is that because the file resides on dropbox or is it a problem at my end? I'm looking forward to meeting everyone at Snowshoe. In the meantime I'm doing rain-go-away dances.

Sorry Folks.

The problem with printing this document was on my end. If you re-download the document, it'll print now.

Craig, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks. Printed just fine and if I might say, some pretty impressive work has gone into planning. Thanks for that too.

Paul Mihalka

I still have a problem printing the pdf. I am on a 8 years old IMAC on Safari. I get the first page, then blanks. A message at the bottom: Failed to open page (see activity window for details). Activity: There was a problem reading this document.

I know my confuser is obsolete. Many updates do not come in.

Paul -

What version of Adobe Reader are you using? (Click on Help / About ..... ) Its possible you're using an older version that may be causing the issue. The latest is Adobe Reader X (10.1.3)

Jim

Went to put new tires on tonight and realized I don't have enough rear brake pad to make it to the end of the block, let alone WV. Crap! Glad I checked

Went to put new tires on tonight and realized I don't have enough rear brake pad to make it to the end of the block, let alone WV. Crap! Glad I checked

Crisis averted. Apparently the 1200GS takes the same rear pads as my old 1100RT. Had a set sitting around, installed them and buttoned everything back up. I'm good to go.

Did anyone take notice to the long term weather report going into next weekend? High of 71, low of 48........thats quite a bit cooler than I was expecting. I was originally planning to wear the summer gear. Might have to rethink that or at least pack another under layer.

Paul Mihalka
Paul -

What version of Adobe Reader are you using? (Click on Help / About ..... ) Its possible you're using an older version that may be causing the issue. The latest is Adobe Reader X (10.1.3)

Jim

I am sure that is the problem. I know the latest Adobe Reader does not update into my Mac OS X, and I have the latest OS my confuser supports. Built in obsolescense. :mad:

No problem. I'll find my way around.

Crisis averted. Apparently the 1200GS takes the same rear pads as my old 1100RT. Had a set sitting around, installed them and buttoned everything back up. I'm good to go.

Did anyone take notice to the long term weather report going into next weekend? High of 71, low of 48........thats quite a bit cooler than I was expecting. I was originally planning to wear the summer gear. Might have to rethink that or at least pack another under layer.

Glad to hear you sorted that out. I'm not sure why you were so concerned in the first place - don't you just drag your feet to stop? :rofl:

I've been watching the long term weather trying to thread my way through anticipated rain. It might mean leaving a day earlier than planned to get South of the lakes and then holding up a day for clearing weather. The run back will be not quite so leisurely again to take advantage of weather windows on my route. In the meantime I'm dealing with a work schedule glitch that I'll need to resolve before I can leave.

yeah......the weather is kind of weird right now. Even the radar maps look goofy compared to normal. Yesterday afternoon it was raining cats and dogs, but it was so sunny out that you needed sun glasses. At one point it was a downpour in my front yard and barely sprinklikng in the back yard. Then followed heavy winds and a tornado watch. The sky was all sorts of strange colors. This is the 2nd day like this we have had in the last two weeks. Hoping it gets it out of its system soon.

Yes I did. It's going to be 90+ degrees all the way to WV.

MyCast has Snowshoe Thurs high 55, Friday 61 Sat 63 Sun 69.

May have to bring the heated gear. At least after Thurs there's

not suppose to be any rain there.

Nice n Easy Rider

Yes I did. It's going to be 90+ degrees all the way to WV.

MyCast has Snowshoe Thurs high 55, Friday 61 Sat 63 Sun 69.

May have to bring the heated gear. At least after Thurs there's

not suppose to be any rain there.

Yup, three different weather sites have the rain probability on Thursday at around 20% and then nil thru Sunday. But the three sites have the highs from the mid-high 60's to the mid 70's with lows going down as low as the high 40's. Definitely won't be sweating too hard unless it's from the routes these fellows have laid out for us. :D

Yeah, I've been tracking the weather for a few days now. It's changed so much each day I think I'm wasting my time. That said ... I can't seem to stop doing it. Kind a pointless as I'm going no matter what and am taking both coats (WP & mesh).

BTW: If anyone is checking the weather for Snowshoe, don't bother unless you're staying up on top of the mountain at the resort (which I don't believe anyone is). Showshoe is at 4990 ft elevation and has very different temps than anywhere else in the area.

The Inn at Snowshoe is actually in Slatyfork WV.

Paul -

If you want to go out of your way a bit (?), there is a warm bed in Columbus for you. And while I do have the hottub, I don't have the loons to lull you to sleep.

Jim

Hey, I'm a tech-manual-kind-o-guy ... I have a penchant for color-coding, graphics, and organization. All good things for us OCD folks!

Lone_RT_rider
Hey, I'm a tech-manual-kind-o-guy ... I have a penchant for color-coding, graphics, and organization. All good things for us OCD folks!

OCD? Are you sure you locked the door at the house this morning? :rofl::dopeslap:

Is that better or worse than me taking the trash out this morning? When I got to work I had to field a curious phone call from Danielle asking if something had changed. Trash day is Tuesday :dopeslap::rofl:

Lone_RT_rider
Is that better or worse than me taking the trash out this morning? When I got to work I had to field a curious phone call from Danielle asking if something had changed. Trash day is Tuesday :dopeslap::rofl:

Your just being efficient and planning ahead.....right? :grin:

There is a small grocery store (that also sells beer and liquor) about 1 mile from the Inn. The Inn also has a fully stocked bar.

So yes, there will be adult beverages available!

Jim

Paul Mihalka

Jake, when would you get there? I'll be there only Thursday but for old time's sake if you are there your first beer is on me.

Hi Paul -

My sincere regret is that I will be coming in on Saturday and will miss you. Thanks for the gracious beer offer - I'm still trying to figure out a way to steal one of Steve's from Shawn without having the US Army after me.

Gotta tell you though, Craig & Co's routes are so nice that I must find a way back up there, and soon.

Archived