IGNORED

Fall Blue Ridge Rendezvous! Who's in?

Lone_RT_rider

Keith,

If I follow you home again will it cost me $134.50 to get through Virginia?

It might, I'm not telling :P

Did you get pulled over again in VA?

My reward was $120 or so....and I was 'in the reckless' :wave:

yup....John and I got popped while passing an 18 wheeler on 81 last spring. The guy apparantly was trailing us for miles "waiting for us to do something dumb".......at least I believe thats how he put it. I want to go off on a rant about it again, but I know it won't do any good. Some cops are are just as crooked and sleazy as the government they work for.

I could always bring the RT for a 9pm, 5 beer, valve job again!

Let's clarify this, there were 5 beers but I had 3 whereas Mitch only had 2. :rofl:

I thought 5 Beers was a local micro-brewery...

:Cool:

OK, we're on the bubble.

Got kicked in the face/eye last week, going back to the opthamologist today, neuro to follow.

This after a knee tweak.

With some good luck, all will be well enough to go, maybe not on 2 wheels.

:P

With a little less luck, I'm off 2 wheels for a while.

With some luck and good test results, we can ride.

:lurk:

Keith,

If I follow you home again will it cost me $134.50 to get through Virginia?

It might, I'm not telling :P

Did you get pulled over again in VA?

My reward was $120 or so....and I was 'in the reckless' :wave:

yup....John and I got popped while passing an 18 wheeler on 81 last spring. The guy apparantly was trailing us for miles "waiting for us to do something dumb".......at least I believe thats how he put it. I want to go off on a rant about it again, but I know it won't do any good. Some cops are are just as crooked and sleazy as the government they work for.

They see the out of state plates.

I didn't mind getting the ticket that time. I'm just glad we weren't clocked earlier. I think our bikes would have been impounded!

Nice n Easy Rider
OK, we're on the bubble.

Got kicked in the face/eye last week, going back to the opthamologist today, neuro to follow.

This after a knee tweak.

With some good luck, all will be well enough to go, maybe not on 2 wheels.

:P

With a little less luck, I'm off 2 wheels for a while.

With some luck and good test results, we can ride.

Tim,

Someone must have very long legs and/or be very nimble to kick you in the face/eye. :grin:

Seriously, hope the exam goes well and you heal quickly. :thumbsup:

Matt,

Thanks.

Preliminary results say I just need time (who doesn't :grin: )

so in a week or so should have a better idea yea/nay.

Tick tick

DSC01260.jpg

Damm no tech day in the parking lot this fall.

Hey, Keith's bike is working fine now anyway. The rest of the oilhead fleet continues to age though, so there's a good chance that someone's bike will crap out while we're down there.

And we will have tools and beer ready when the call comes in. :grin:

I guarantee if we come down with the GSA'a there will be a tech weekend, it's a whole 600 miles down there, something will break. Somebody bring a sledge hammer.

Matt,

Thanks.

Ayup, 3 weeks of riding all I can to get myself as in shape as possible for it. Looks like this could be my last riding of the year so I gotta make it good... :cry:

Matt,

Thanks.

Ayup, 3 weeks of riding all I can to get myself as in shape as possible for it. Looks like this could be my last riding of the year so I gotta make it good... :cry:

Why do you say last riding of the Year? The Florida riding season is just starting.

I'm in! Finally.

Awesome! It's getting closer. We have about 1.5 weeks until we need to have the dinner payments in (like Mr. Snake has already done).

If anyone has been procrastinating, lets get those payments in people!

Shawn

Reservation Made ... arriving Friday. Can't wait to see everybody and collect all my hugs!!

Can't wait to see you, Shannon! It's been too long!

BTW, I put a bug in Stretchwife's ear...she said "maybe"...

You're right Lynne, it HAS been too long!! :wave:

Looking forward to seeing you very much! :clap:

I'm starting to get giddy. :grin:

I'm starting to watch weather patterns. :D

I'm still interested in a "dirt light" ride over either Rainbow Springs Road between 64 and Wayah Rd or the Joe Brown Hwy on one of the two fantastic days we're going to have riding in the beautiful Blue Ridge/Smokey Mountains area. :Cool: (Or, heck, I'd be up for any "dirt light" ride anyone is planning and would let me tag along on!)

P.S. Ken [kinsley], does the Rainbow Springs Road between 64 and Wayah Rd have different or more difficult terrain than the Joe Brown Hwy?

Maybe you might be interested in what we are planning.... I think it would qualify as "dirt light". It will be good to see you again we can strategerize.

P.S. Ken [kinsley], does the Rainbow Springs Road between 64 and Wayah Rd have different or more difficult terrain than the Joe Brown Hwy?

When I'm in that area, I have other paved favorites to ride, so I haven't tried Rainbow Springs Rd yet, but because I love you guys so much, I'm going to make a huge sacrifice and ride it tomorrow on my way to MV to meet some other moto friends. :thumbsup: I'll let you know what I find...if I return.

I wish I had some, if any comp time I could pull in. Thursdays for some reason are always crazy at work. I would love to ride up and get something from the SD. Mmmmmmm sea food. :)

Shawn

Nice n Easy Rider

When I'm in that area, I have other paved favorites to ride, so I haven't tried Rainbow Springs Rd yet, but because I love you guys so much, I'm going to make a huge sacrifice and ride it tomorrow on my way to MV to meet some other moto friends. :thumbsup: I'll let you know what I find...if I return.

Looks like a very interesting road - especially where (according to Google maps) it dead-ends down near Moore Creek Lower Lake and then starts up again on the other side of the creek. :lurk:

Looks like a very interesting road - especially where (according to Google maps) it dead-ends down near Moore Creek Lower Lake and then starts up again on the other side of the creek. :lurk:

I have also come across roads that Google maps or MapSource shows crossing rivers but don't, so there's only one way to find out :clap:

Just a little local secret. Cafe Rel in Franklin. If you make it there, you won't come to the area without fitting it in.

Thanks for the tip. I've been through Franklin lots of times, and didn't realize there was anything other than chain eateries available. We'll be passing through Franklin en route to BRR on September 30, so now I have an excuse to adjust my schedule so that we can have lunch there.

Originally Posted By: Nice n Easy Rider

Originally Posted By: Kinsley

Originally Posted By: Magnuson

When I'm in that area, I have other paved favorites to ride, so I haven't tried Rainbow Springs Rd yet, but because I love you guys so much, I'm going to make a huge sacrifice and ride it tomorrow on my way to MV to meet some other moto friends. thumbsup I'll let you know what I find...if I return.

Looks like a very interesting road - especially where (according to Google maps) it dead-ends down near Moore Creek Lower Lake and then starts up again on the other side of the creek. lurk

I have also come across roads that Google maps or MapSource shows crossing rivers but don't, so there's only one way to find out clap

My Motorcycle Photos

"Ride fast enough that you can't take your mind off riding, but not fast enough to worry about crashing"

After all these miles I didn't know that you enjoyed exploring.

I have also come across roads that Google maps or MapSource shows crossing rivers but don't, so there's only one way to find out :clap:

Your sacrifice is well noted. :grin: It looks like it's only 12 miles but I think I've read that Wayah Rd is worthy also so it might all work out!

Just a little local secret. Cafe Rel in Franklin. If you make it there, you won't come to the area without fitting it in.

Thanks for the tip. I've been through Franklin lots of times, and didn't realize there was anything other than chain eateries available. We'll be passing through Franklin en route to BRR on September 30, so now I have an excuse to adjust my schedule so that we can have lunch there.

You better call first. I think they're only open for dinner. Closed Sunday also.

Rainbow Springs Rd. is a nice scenic road that, for the most part, runs along the East side of the Nantahala River from 64 to Wayah Rd. with no water crossings. It's relatively easy on a big GS but is still interesting enough to keep your attention. There is a spot where you could ford the river over to Buck Creek Rd. but it's about 50 yds. wide and appears deepish, and then you'd have to backtrack to 64.

There's another interesting road near where Rainbow Springs intersects Wayah Rd. Maybe a half mile East on Wayah turn left on FR 700 or 710?, known by some of the locals as the Jimmy Carter Road (the story goes that he'd planned on building a Presidential retreat well up the mountain overlooking Nantahala Lake but it never materialized). The road was built but appears has never since been maintained, producing what may be one of the worst paved roads anywhere. It starts out innocent enough then around a blind curve there's a 40 yard gravel washout across the entire road. It continues the trend for probably 12-15 miles. It has nice views at the top just beware the surface keeps changing. It comes back out on Wayah at the north end of the lake.

IMG_0044.jpg 711 off Wayah Rd. At the north end of Wayah. Go left and then right on 129 to Robbinsville. Make like your going over the Cherohola and when you get to the parking lot with the map of the Cherohola. Forest rd. 81 is the dirt rd. on your right of the parking lot. It's known as the dirt Cherohola. It's a flat easy dirt rd. Take it until you go under the Cherohola , (which is a point to get on the Cherohola if you don't want any more dirt ) or continue to the right until you get to a fork in the dirt rd. Go right on River rd. and you will follow a river on one of the most scenic rd.s ever. Picnic areas and waterfalls are there . You will eventually come out close to Telico.
IMG_0044.jpg 711 off Wayah Rd. At the north end of Wayah. Go left and then right on 129 to Robbinsville. Make like your going over the Cherohola and when you get to the parking lot with the map of the Cherohola. Forest rd. 81 is the dirt rd. on your right of the parking lot. It's known as the dirt Cherohola. It's a flat easy dirt rd. Take it until you go under the Cherohola , (which is a point to get on the Cherohola if you don't want any more dirt ) or continue to the right until you get to a fork in the dirt rd. Go right on River rd. and you will follow a river on one of the most scenic rd.s ever. Picnic areas and waterfalls are there . You will eventually come out close to Telico.

And this is whay my next bike will NOT be an RT.......I keep missing out on little gems like these.

My friend Mike did it on his 12 GSA no problem . The amount of street , to and from the motel would be much better on your GS. From Telico I either take the skyway back or go to Suches, Helen , Clayton, Warwoman etc. The DR might be hard on you on this long a day.

As has been noted previously, this will be the first BMWST event I attend, and I am looking forward to it with great anticipation.

I have met about three people from the Baltimore Washington area who will also be attending, but that's it.

I would like to go out for a ride or two with others, but I'm not quite sure how to assess my own skills, and then how to find others with whom it would make sense to ride.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Glenn,

Find folks and start talking to them. We're a friendly bunch who will likely be found in a rocker out in front of the hotel kicking tires or else around the tiki bar talking smack. If see anyone in riding gear, ask them where Shawn or Matt are and they'll point us out.

I'll be in Wednesday afternoon if you're in the early bird crowd. The best way to find folks to ride with is to get down to breakfast fairly early (at least before my normal 830 appearance) and you'll find folks looking at maps and making plans, most trying to be gone by 7-7:30. Get gas before you get back to the hotel and there'll always be people to ride with.

Matt

I second and third the Brats gruboliciousness! Before BRR I NEVER had the pleasure and haven't had any others! Thanks Matt for all past BRRs and El Paseo's!

Keith

The best way to find folks to ride with is to get down to breakfast fairly early (at least before my normal 830 appearance) and you'll find folks looking at maps and making plans, most trying to be gone by 7-7:30.

I'm calling BS.......give Matt at least till 9:15 :rofl:

I was just checking some of the updates on some pre BRR scouting and thought I would share. I had two weeks off from work and was suposed to go to Maine with a friend, but then he could not get off from work last minute. So I thought there is no sense sitting around the house wasting two weeks of vacation, So I packed the bike and headed west. I am in Durango Colorado tonight and am off to Torey Utah to stay at the Chuck Wagon Inn and ride the area for a few days. Then its back to Colorado for a few more days of riding and then on home to Georgia just in time to leave for the BRR. See you guys in a couple of weeks.

Archived