IGNORED

Bib Bend Bash official announcement with Hotel info

johnlt

The roads to Chisos Mountain Basin, Santa Elena Canyon and Rio Grande Village are all paved and should be fine. I'll verify with the Park Service. The only one I have not been on is the Rio Grande Village road and all seem to be away from and possible River flooding except possibly the very end of the roads. I'll post what I find out.

markgoodrich
FYI, I just checked the road conditions around BB and Hwy FM170 is still closed at Redford to Presidio. This is the road known as "River Road". Redford is close to the Presidio end of the section so an "out and back" from BB would still be worthwhile. I'll check again just before I leave and post status.

John, did you call the district office? If not, let me know and I'll call them, see what they mean by "closed."

See you Thursday.

markgoodrich
The roads to Chisos Mountain Basin, Santa Elena Canyon and Rio Grande Village are all paved and should be fine. I'll verify with the Park Service. The only one I have not been on is the Rio Grande Village road and all seem to be away from and possible River flooding except possibly the very end of the roads. I'll post what I find out.

Be aware, folks, the speed limits within the park are quite low; any in-park ride should be considered a nice, easy cruise. Or a big fine, take your choice. Don't forget, it's a federal offense, so it'll go on your Permanent Record.

Just got off the phone with the Park folks and the road folks and here is the latest info: The roads in the park to Chisos Mountains, Santa Elena and Rio Grande Village are open and paved with no issues at all. The hwy 170 to Presidio is open but has a 2 mile dirt road detour that is wash-board but not 4WD. School busses and cars use it daily but not recommended for any low clearence (read miata)vehicles. I'm sure RTs could make it but probably wouldn't want to because of the dirt, dust and rock chip potential. A GS would be fine so it's any one's call. My 0pinion is that an out-and-back up to the detour would be the best and 118 is much nicer than the road from Presidio to Marfa anyway.

Just checked with the Ramada and they have 6 rooms left of our block of rooms so if you haven't made reservations yet, please do so.

I also checked and they have a cooler I can borrow on the Pavilion (Lizard Mountain Portch & Overlook)for a Friday PM/evening get together. I'll prime the pump with a case of brew and some sodas and a couple bags of ice to start with and we can sit around and greet the new arrivals while lie to each other about how fast we ride!!

markgoodrich
What about a really LOW GS? Mine is so low a worm couldn't get under it!!!

Jean, I bet we can ALL get over that short section if we want to.

There are no worms out there, but the rattlers get pretty big.

If a school bus goes over it every day, I'm sure most any bike can but the issue will be if you want to due to potential dirt and paint chips from rocks. You can make the decision when you see it. Either way, an out and back then back up 118 is also a good ride and IMHO better scenery than hwy 67/90 from Presidio.

roadshadowww

We're counting the days, we're leaving ATL on Monday the 23rd and will meet my brother in Gulfport.

We'll go to about Beaumont Tuesday and over to San Ant. Wed and meet Mr. and Mrs Whip.

After the great suggestions we're getting off the slab and going backroads to Alpine via DelRio.

Should roll in Thursday evening and ready for a cool one.

We're enjoying the routes discussions and will fall in and cruise with anyone willing to lead. Again we've never been to BB and we love Texas and the great West.

Regards,

Bob Collins

Had a nice time at the Park. Weather awesome. Sorry to be so early and then gone before everyone arrives. Will miss all!

Local Police all Cool,but admit they won't "tolerate speeding",you've been warned....so behave!

Gas is on the rise. Up a nickel since I arrived. Premium now over $2.00 a gal.

Heavy Border Patrol north and south of the Park. They will offer to assist if your on the side of the Road talking or sitting,really Cool people!

........Later Rich........

Hi All --I am riding out on Friday sometime. Time is not set. I am going out the back way and will cut across I-10 near Mountain Home on the back way to Comstock and onto Marathon and then to Alpine.

If you'd like to ride along let me know. I promise to keep it slow.

**   Chris   **
Hi All --I am riding out on Friday sometime. Time is not set. I am going out the back way and will cut across I-10 near Mountain Home on the back way to Comstock and onto Marathon and then to Alpine.

Slow is all relative. 100 probably feels slow on the new bike.

barryNmarin

Whats up with this! Not a single Left Coast rider is signed up to attend the Big Bend Bash!! That's hard to believe so maybe I should appoint myself the official Left Coast designated rider and attend the BBB. Let me think about this..... hmmmmmm..... OK, I'll do it!

I'm IN and reservations made at the Ramada. I'll be rolling in with JohnLT after spending a few days riding around with him in AZ. Looking forward to seeing you all.

Damn. Wish I was going.

Hope you guys are packing some heat. You'll be right near all the action coming across the Rio Grande. :Cool:

barryNmarin

Dave, I wish you were going too, and I sure hope you aren't trying to get that dang gun thread going again! I think the weather man will provide enough heat, thank you.

**   Chris   **
Gun? Who said anything about guns? Uh, um, I was talking about sterno. (Canned heat?) Yeah, that's it!

I thought he was talking about my electric jacket liner. Either way, I am covered.

If the wind is anything like it was today in Louisiana, we might be midnight pulling into Whip's. Windshields are useless in this stuff.

Damn. Wish I was going.

Hope you guys are packing some heat. You'll be right near all the action coming across the Rio Grande. :Cool:

Not to worry..I'll be backin em up..Although likely so far back it won't help... :P

Based on BMWRich's recent ride and pic of the River Road detour Link it appears that the road condition is excellent and should be fine for RTs. Even Whip's hot-rod should make it :wave:

markgoodrich
Based on BMWRich's recent ride and pic of the River Road detour Link it appears that the road condition is excellent and should be fine for RTs. Even Whip's hot-rod should make it :wave:

John, does this change your opinion about the out/back? You'd said it's better/prettier, something.

Not really if you don't come down 118 to BB, I'd still recommend going back to Alpine via 118 because in my opinion it is much nicer than 67 from Presidio. If you come down 118 to BB, then 67 is a good alternate for the return. I plan to come down to BB on Saturday via 385 because I haven't been on it yet so will do the out-and-back on River Road then return to Alpine via 118.

We can't have this with the ride just a couple weeks away and this post was relagated to page 2!! No way I can let that happen.

Have I mentioned how BUMMED I am not to be with you all or . . . all y'all this weekend?!?!?!? :cry:

Be sure to have my fun for me too . . . and post LOTS of pics and entertaining Ride Tales so those of us who'd love to get back there again can feel REALLY bad for what we're missin'! :(

I'd complain about too much work gettin' in the way of my riding, but in this economy . . . I'm just gonna shut my mouth and get back to it. :dopeslap:

You all have a GREAT time!! :clap:

We all wish you could make it Jamie, we'd love to have you and your queen ride with us. By the way, it's not this weekend, it's the weekend of the 27th. Cheers,

john

**   Chris   **

I am still not sure of my plans, let me know when you are planning to leave Austin.

I am still not sure of my plans, let me know when you are planning to leave Austin.

Will do. Right now it is looking like right around mid-day.

Greg, if it's not too much trouble, could you provide your route to Comstock?

12 to Dripping

290/281/290 through Fredericksburg

479 south

I-10 west

Exit 490 to 41 west

377 to Rock Springs

55 north west to 277 north

189 south

163 south to Comstock

**   Chris   **

At this new found ability to ride slow speed, how long are you estimating it will take?

Last time I ride there from Austin, our route included some goat trails, but we got to Marathon about midnight.

At this new found ability to ride slow speed, how long are you estimating it will take?

Last time I ride there from Austin, our route included some goat trails, but we got to Marathon about midnight.

6-8 hours with stops---last I heard, Steve will be riding down with us too, but I have not confirmed that with him.

**   Chris   **

6-8 hours with stops---last I heard, Steve will be riding down with us too, but I have not confirmed that with him.

Oh yeah, this is sounding slower all the time. You know how Steve likes to poke along, stopping for photo ops and all that.

markgoodrich

Garmin sez the Limecreek Way is 451 miles from 620/71, ten hours, forty one minutes, eleven seconds. 8 hours means an average speed of about 56mph. I'm guessing the stops will be few and far between, and very short. I also have high hopes, for Greg's sake, that his Valentine is in good working order. Seeing as how he can't take another defensive driving course for a year, due to an accidental 90 mph burst recently.

So, Greg, tell us, how long does it take when you're riding FAST?

Here's the Limecreek Way Garmin route file:

4303.gdb

**   Chris   **

Y'all can always stay at our house and ride out with us on Friday.

Eddd, and the Lawman should be here as well.

Whip

Whip hasn't replied to this thread in a while, must be running out of space at the Mrs. Whip Bread and Beckfast...

**   Chris   **
My guess is that he'd never run out of space, only beds. You bring the bedroll and he'd welcome you in.

Great idea John, let's put it to the test. Next Winter when it is too cold to ride anywhere else, we should all gather at the Whip Mansion!

Oh, back to the thread at hand. How many are you expecting to show up in Alpine?

Valentine is in good working order

It is. I just had it rebuilt this past year......and 6-8 hours is an easy pace to Alpine. ;)

Archived