IGNORED

Bib Bend Bash official announcement with Hotel info

johnlt

Ok folks, the Big Bend Bash hotel has been reserved. It is the new (nearly) Ramada Inn in Alpine March 27-29. Ramada web page: Link

Their number is 432 837-1100. They have blocked 15 rooms for BMW Sport Touring so when you call, let them know that you are with BMWST. Our rate for a double is $85.49

This is a very nice hotel with free breakfast and also a pavilion area for congregating. Many other amenities including high speed internet. There is a restaurant next door that serves lunch and dinner and will cater to the Pavilion if we choose. The restaurant is the Alpine City Limits Link and includes a complete bar. Call now and reserve your room because this is a very busy time of year for that part of the country.

I looked at other areas including Fort Davis and decided on Alpine because of its closer proximity to BB. There are many other hotels in Alpine if you would rather stay in a place less expensive or even more expensive but I felt this was a good middle of the road choice with great facilities for a group like us.

Which bike are you taking? Going to ride any of the jeep roads in BB?

I am going to wait until the end of the month to make my reservations. Not sure I will be riding by then.

If I am on two wheels, it might have to be my bicycle. I am riding the Houston to Austin MS-150 for my 10th and final year in April.

Which bike are you taking? Going to ride any of the jeep roads in BB?

Not sure yet. If the roads are ok, I'd like to ride the River Road from Castolon to Rio Grande Village which is all dirt but not sure it is GSable. I'll have to check with the National Park Service. It is possible I could bring both my GSA and KLX.

Not sure yet. If the roads are ok, I'd like to ride the River Road from Castolon to Rio Grande Village which is all dirt but not sure it is GSable. I'll have to check with the National Park Service. It is possible I could bring both my GSA and KLX.

They had some major flooding this last fall, so I am not sure what shape the river road is in. In the past, people have done river road on GS's, but it was a struggle.

The only road I have ridden in the park is Old Ore Rd. I rode it on my 1150GS and it was fun. Only hard part was the loose sand/gravel in the dry washes. Besides that it was just a rocky sometimes two track dirt road.

My Mom bought my Dad a 5x8 trailer for Christmas, so I could potentially bring both bikes also. But, if I am riding by then, I will probably take it easy and just ride the GS out there and back.

From the "Alpine City Limits" restuarant menu:

POTATOES

House Special Potato

(Butter, cheese, beans, brisket, & sausage topped with BBQ sauce and chives) 8.99

Now "that's a Texas Potato" :clap: :clap: :clap:

Here is a better link to the hotel info: LINK This shows more of the facilities including pictures of the "Porch" pavilion area. The original link is for reservations.

Looks like a DustBowl Beemer contingent is shaping up. Jim and I are at the Ramada, we have 3-4 more that are at the Holland.

I have reservations, but still nursing the broken leg, I'm banking on being healed and released by then.

Deb and I are in at the Ramada. We got a 2nd floor King room for $94.99 plus tax.

We are riding 2up on the RT and have rooms for arriving the 27th and departing 29th.

We usually stay at the Holland (as it has a good BrewPub in it) but the Ramada is a nice facility and is quieter as it is farther away from the railroad tracks!!!

One negative about the Holland..the trains are quite noisy for those of us used to a quiet nights sleep :(.

Then again, sitting in the BrewPub for a couple of hours might just sedate you enough not to care :rofl:

You gonna trailer to Fort Stockton then ride the bike in?????

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

:wave:

Marathon!

( who am I to talk, as I crutch to the kitchen...)

Howdy Whip :wave:

Well, at the moment, Deb is up for riding there MENTALLY but, being as I am her Nurse Ratchett :eek:, it will be up to me whether she pillions all the way or not. But I reckon by late March she will be just fine and we will be riding all the way there.

Oh! And so will you ride there with us :thumbsup:

Not hotel, but road related:

My girlfriend and I were in the Marfa/Presidio area just before Thanksgiving and a large section of Highway 170 (the River Road) between Presidio and Lajitas was still partially washed out and closed to traffic. (The western end of the closure is about 5 miles east of Presidio.) Supposedly one can take a long, detour "inland" to get around the closure, but the park ranger who mentioned it said that even some 4-wheel drive vehicles attempting it were being towed back with broken axles! :P

Not hotel, but road related:

My girlfriend and I were in the Marfa/Presidio area just before Thanksgiving and a large section of Highway 170 (the River Road) between Presidio and Lajitas was still partially washed out and closed to traffic. (The western end of the closure is about 5 miles east of Presidio.) Supposedly one can take a long, detour "inland" to get around the closure, but the park ranger who mentioned it said that even some 4-wheel drive vehicles attempting it were being towed back with broken axles! :P

Attempting the washed out section or the detour?

The detour !

We were down there a couple of weeks back wanting to drive the River Road and got the same high clearance vehicle info from the Visitors Bureau.

Told them we had a Subaru Forester and they said No! a REAL HIGH CLEARANCE vehicle :eek:...so we didn't bother!!!

The detour !

We were down there a couple of weeks back wanting to drive the River Road and got the same high clearance vehicle info from the Visitors Bureau.

Told them we had a Subaru Forester and they said No! a REAL HIGH CLEARANCE vehicle :eek:...so we didn't bother!!!

I may have to bring "The Mudder".

orig.jpg

The "official" River Road is all dirt and runs from Castolon to Rio Grande Villages (~60 miles). I just heard from some folks on ADVrider that it too is now closed with major flooding problems so it looks like the GSA and pavement for me. I'll same that ride on the KLX for some other day.

The Holland has pretty well filled up with the Lubbock group. There'll probably be 10-12 over there. Some will start coming in as early as Thursday (retirees :/).

This will probably be my first good ride since I broke my leg.

CoarsegoldKid

I haven't any idea of where in the world is this Big Bend ride. The board has been doing this for a few years I take it. Please fill me in, maybe I can get over there too.

This is Big Bend National Park. It is along the Texas/Mexico border a couple hundred miles east of El Paso. Google it and you'll get a lot of info.

Big Bend is the least used park in the National Park system. Ruggedly beautiful, it is best seen, IMHO, by motorcycle. The roads around (and leading into) the park are also great. The river road (RR170) is like an amusement park ride and 118 South from Alpine has great vistas and some great twisties and flat out sweepers :clap:

The Northern part of 118 North from Alpine through Ft Davis and looping back on 166 is known the "Davis Mountains Loop" a great scenic ride best taken at a more sedate pace.

67 from Alpine to Presidio is another scenic vista, nice sweeper road.

Please note that Texas DPS is out in force in the Big Bend Area and, don't forget, you will most likely be going through Border Patrol checkpoints.

Big Bend is the least used park in the National Park system. Ruggedly beautiful, it is best seen, IMHO, by motorcycle.

What he meant to say was a dual sport motorcycle.

The Northern part of 118 North from Alpine through Ft Davis and looping back on 166 is known the "Davis Mountains Loop" a great scenic ride best taken at a more sedate pace.

By this he means it is best not to do this section with Steve, Greg, Whip or any of the others that were in Silver City for Halloween if you want to see the scenery.

I noted that highway 170 from Big Bend to Presidio (River Road) is still showing as "closed" due to flood damage. Do any of you Texans know the prognosis for late March. Are repairs under way? Thanks

I noted that highway 170 from Big Bend to Presidio (River Road) is still showing as "closed" due to flood damage. Do any of you Texans know the prognosis for late March. Are repairs under way? Thanks

I just called the TxDoT office in Alpine. The road is open, but not "officially" because there is a two-mile dirt detour that might be difficult for "your motor home." The girl who answered the phone suggested using caution and low speed on the section, as it's "not hard packed."

I think it will likely be okay, as she said the section can be crossed in "a small car."

The obvious thing to do will be to send a sacrificial lamb out on one of the road bikes. If they don't come back in half an hour, we choose a different route. Not-it.

TxDoT is shooting for a full opening by the end of May.

The phone number for the Alpine office is (432) 837-3391

• 3 weeks later...

Ok folks, just 6 weeks to go before the Big Bend Bash. I'd like to get an idea of how many folks plan on attending. I also plan to set up a dinner on Saturday night so I'd also like an idea of those planning on attending the dinner. Last year we had about 16-18 and some really great riding. This year I expect even better riding (I'll know where I'm going!!). Send me an "in" if planning on coming and I'll compile a list. Thanks,

john

I should be cleared to ride motorcycles again in 5 weeks. My only problem is going to be time. I have to be in shape to ride my bicycle from Houston to Austin on the weekend of April 18-19th. That is not going to be very long after I am cleared to participate in stupid activities.

So, I will make a decision in the next couple days and let you know. Maybe I can talk my brother into going.

WestTX RT aka Darrell N

and Jim Davidson from Lubbock, in.

I just posted to the DBBeemers group that are at the Holland to RSVP on their own for dinner Saturday night.

Just got back on the DR Saturday and rode about 100 miles, I should be in good shape for this ride. Looking forward to it.

In....to supervise Whip..

Good Luck......you left last time.....just about the time things got interesting.

I almost forgot......I'm gonna make sure you pay for your gas this time.(before we leave the station)

Hey John--This is a travel week/weekend for me, but if anything changes at the last minute, I'll point the bike west and see if I can find a roomate. Austin to Big Bend on a K is what, 2-3 hours? ;)

Updated list:

johnlt

Whip

Mrs Whip

Philbytx

Deb

Tobyusa

Markgoodrich

JustJean

David

WestTxRT

Jim Davidson

Aggie Chris

Lawman

Mrs Lawman

Greg (maybe)

I'm 95% in.

I'm just waiting to get roster of students that need to take an on-line state-mandated test. The testing window has been expanded so I should have no problem scheduling test sessions that don't conflict with my need to head out of town. :clap:

Well, I'm going to throw my hat in the ring this year. I wasn't able to make it last year and screw it, I'm going this year.

So add me to the crew!

Regards,

Bob

Glad you can join us bob,

Updated list:

johnlt

Whip

Mrs Whip

Philbytx

Deb

Tobyusa

Markgoodrich

JustJean

David

WestTxRT

Jim Davidson

Aggie Chris

Lawman

Mrs Lawman

Greg (maybe)

eddd

Roadshadoww (Bob)

Just made my Reservation for a Thrusday arrival and Thurs, Fri and Sat nights. Never been to the Big Bend area.

Will head back to ATL on Sunday morning.

Archived