IGNORED

Bib Bend Bash official announcement with Hotel info

johnlt

Like most BMWST events, it is very informal. I plan on getting there on Thursday evening and riding the Davis Mountains on Friday and BB on Saturday. We will have some kind of a group dinner for those who want to attend on Saturday night (announcement forthcoming) and a BS session at the Ramada Pavillion on Friday evening. Normally, several groups form for the rides and you pick your comfort zone: "spirited", slow and smell the roses, etc. Don't be shy, ask and I'm sure you'll fit into one of the groups nicely. My Saturday route will be between slow and smell the roses and moderate. It will go down through Marathon to BB, then Rio Grande Village, then Chisos Basin for lunch, then St Eleana gorge then return to Alpine via 118. It's about 290 miles. I have a .gdb file of this route for anyone that is interested.

I may see you guys in passing, but I made plans months ago to be there that same weekend with another group of riders. If you see a rider on a beige metalic R12RT it may be me, particularly if it's with a group consisting of other brands.

Okay I think we are going to try to head that way on Thursday, will probably stop along the way because I haven't been that far yet on my own bike!

Okay I think we are going to try to head that way on Thursday, will probably stop along the way because I haven't been that far yet on my own bike!

Y'all can always stay at our house and ride out with us on Friday.

Eddd, and the Lawman should be here as well.

Whip

Whip

Now THAT sounds like a PARTY!!!!! :clap:

Sorry I'll miss it this year, but you all--I mean, y'all . . . or even all y'all have a great time!! :grin:

Whip

Now, that is a invitation hard to pass up! We had originally planned backroads all the way to keep the speeds down and more frequent stops. Your place is around 7+ hours giving a lunch stop and gas stops. Jean has done 5, so this might be doable. She hasn't done much freeway so 65mph is like tops, but the bike is capable. If we were on the GT we could be there in 5 hrs or less. Don't give up on us, we are not static on a shelf here, still growing!

Whip

Now, that is a invitation hard to pass up! We had originally planned backroads all the way to keep the speeds down and more frequent stops. Your place is around 7+ hours giving a lunch stop and gas stops. Jean has done 5, so this might be doable. She hasn't done much freeway so 65mph is like tops, but the bike is capable. If we were on the GT we could be there in 5 hrs or less. Don't give up on us, we are not static on a shelf here, still growing!

Sounds Great!!!!!

THAT late :rofl:

Seriously though :eek:, just call the house when you are leaving yours and we'll give it 30 mins and will then wait for you at the 503 (Harper exit) on ramp.

I'll IM you with our numbers (home and cell).

Updated list:

johnlt

Whip

Mrs Whip

Philbytx

Deb

Tobyusa

Markgoodrich

JustJean

David

WestTxRT

Jim Davidson

Aggie Chris

Lawman

Mrs Lawman

Greg (maybe)

eddd

Roadshadoww (Bob)

Charles Gebhardt

AV8R (lawman's brother)

Whip

What time is blastoff and whch way are you heading?

[quote=** Chris

What time is blastoff and whch way are you heading?

My guess is they will be heading west :dopeslap: :dopeslap: :dopeslap:

Eventually, but maybe not from the start.

I was wondering if they are doing the I-10 or heading SW down to 90.

Chris,

I believe we will be using one of the "quicker" routes.....

I10 straight West and then 67 (or 385 via Marathon) to Alpine (about 317/340) miles from Kerrville).

The "back way" via Del Rio is a great ride and, although about 30 miles longer, it does add a couple of hours more riding.

Chris,

I believe we will be using one of the "quicker" routes.....

I10 straight West and then 67 (or 385 via Marathon) to Alpine (about 317/340) miles from Kerrville).

The "back way" via Del Rio is a great ride and, although about 30 miles longer, it does add a couple of hours more riding.

Sounds good. I am not sure what I plan on doing just yet. Since I am going to be out of town the whole previous week for spring break, work could alter what ever plans I come up with.

I am getting unscrewed on Wednesday. Doctor said I should be "Healed" as the preacher says on the Wednesday before the ride.

I still haven't made a reservation, I will do that this week.

It's not likely, but I'm gonna see if I can settle some cases! :Cool:

Since I don't work, I'm a bad influence, but we would like to see you guys make it!

As new member, can anyone come to the RT BBB? How many usually show up. Planning to come but wanted more info....? Fez
Hi Fez--welcome to the asylum!! :wave:

Sadly, Leslie and I are not able to make it this year, but let me speak on behalf of the AWESOME Texas and Arizona Crews and the rest of the gang from the surrounding area: this is the best, most wonderful gaggle of riders you're likely to ever meet . . . and we just LOVE newbies! :grin:

This group is practically--by definition--an all inclusive and welcoming bunch and the Big Bend area is more of God's own riding country, so if you haven't yet had the pleasure you really should try to make the ride! It could very well change your life . . . my first ride with this crazy bunch certainly did change mine--for the better . . . so much so that my wife is now the Queen Bee of this feckless bunch of layabouts and ne'er-do-well's! :rofl:

ANYONE who likes to ride . . . frequently fast and often far--and doesn't mind a bit of irreverent fun now and again . . . is always welcome to come. Be sure to take some pics and share them with the rest of us poor sots who will be reading here, but wishing we were there with you! :(

As far as numbers go, this is one of the newer rides but the numbers are growing each year as more and more members slowly discover the beauty of riding Big Bend! Let's just say, you won't be alone and it won't be too crowded, but you'll have wonderful company!

Welcome again, and we hope you have a great time! :clap:

As Jamie said, you are absolutely welcome to come to the BBB. Some will be arriving on Thursday PM and most on Friday PM. Be sure to introduce yourself and we'll make sure you get with a ride group that fits. We'll have between 15 and 20 folks there and they will break up into probably 2 or 3 groups for the Saturday ride. We'll have a "parking lot BS session" Friday PM as most folks arrive and a informal Saturday group dinner. Welcome aboard!

I'm kind of getting excited about this trip. It will be my first time to Big Bend and I'm going to get to ride my bike!!! :clap:

What would be WAY COOL would be if another bike just like mine was to show up from say like Utah!!!! :thumbsup:

Lou and I are leaving JAX and ATL on Monday.

We're stopping over in Gulfport, Beaumont, San Ant. and we're wondering about which way to go from San An over to Alpine?

How's the ride to Del Rio and over? I'm sure we'll be ready to get off the interstate but never having ridden in that neck of the woods thought I'd ask.

Thanks, we're at the Ramada also Thursday, Fri and Sat.

Updated List:

johnlt

Whip

Mrs Whip

Philbytx

Deb

Tobyusa

Markgoodrich

JustJean

David

WestTxRT

Jim Davidson

Aggie Chris

Lawman

Mrs Lawman

Greg (maybe)

eddd

Roadshadoww (Bob)

Lou

AV8R (lawman's brother)

SilverSurfer

Claudia

The "back roads" to Alpine are well worth the ride.

Allow a comfortable 5-6 hours (including stops!) from when you get off I-10.

Exit 390 take 41s to 377s to 277s then 90 to Alpine. I would make sure you gas up at the Y junction in Del Rio before continuing on 90.

Nice rest is at the Judge Roy Bean Museum/Travel Bureau stop in Langtry....nice toilets, clean water and a neat place to visit. Check out the Gage Hotel in Marathon and also the Burnt Biscuit bakery has good cakes/munchies :) !

Hwy 90 through Del Rio is very nice. It will take a little longer than the interstate but worth it. Still quite a bit of wide open spaces.

Yes, I have been that way many times. Once at night. Now that was exciting! Sandersen is an interesting little town. Lots of flood control dams built in the hills to the west of town.

That Hwy 90 ought to be exciting about the time the BB Bash happens as the Mexican revolution will be beginning and everyone one from Mexico will be making a bee line for the border and entry into the USA. Scenic indeed.

Bullett and Twisties are officially in for the BBB. We will combine this with a visit to my Mom in Bedford (DFW)

Our plan is to leave DFW on Thursday and ride to the Whips' place in San Antone, then on to Alpine the next day.

Jean, I'm sorry, but I'll be riding the RT, the F-bike is not ready for touring yet. Yeeeeehaaaah!

markgoodrich

Who's arriving Thursday? I'll probably arrive midafternoon, from Austin.

If anyone needs an overnight stop in Austin Wednesday, we've plenty of room; arrive in time for some good Tex-Mex.

Oh good, oh good! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Whip do we need to bring a sleeping bag sounds like a huge crowd a building!! :grin:

Mrs Whip has informed me that we are good.......

We are gonna use the motorhome......as a guest room.

I just hope we don't stay up too late or drink too much..... :rofl:

Whip

Updated list:

Updated List:

johnlt

Whip

Mrs Whip

Philbytx

Deb

Tobyusa

Markgoodrich

JustJean

David

WestTxRT

Jim Davidson

Aggie Chris

Lawman

Mrs Lawman

Greg (maybe)

eddd

Roadshadoww (Bob)

Lou

AV8R (lawman's brother)

SilverSurfer

Claudia

Twisties

Bullett

Several of the Lubbock crowd (Dustbowl Beemers) will be in Ft. Davis on Thursday night. I'll be coming in from the North on Friday morning if any of you guys are coming down from OK, NE, or CO, let me know and we'll try and watch for you.

Almost in.....80%. Work schedule just cleared up. I do not need to travel the Friday of or the Sunday/Monday after. Will there be any single malt on hand? This could be a deciding factor. :grin:

Will there be any single malt on hand? This could be a deciding factor. :grin:

I think that could be arranged Greg. Looking forward to seeing you,

john

Will there be any single malt on hand? This could be a deciding factor. :grin:

I think that could be arranged Greg. Looking forward to seeing you,

john

In that case....IN.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Just as an update, Claudia and I will be leaving Tucson Wednesday morning and spending the night with her sister and son in El Paso Wednesday evening. We will probably depart for Alpine somewhere around noon on Thursday.

John-I'd like a copy of that .gdb if you will-Thanks!

Can't wait to see ya'all!

FYI, I just checked the road conditions around BB and Hwy FM170 is still closed at Redford to Presidio. This is the road known as "River Road". Redford is close to the Presidio end of the section so an "out and back" from BB would still be worthwhile. I'll check again just before I leave and post status.

Here is a .gdb file with three routes. The BB09Loop is the one I plan to ride on Saturday and will lead anyone who would like to go on a "moderate with stops" ride. We will have lunch in the lodge at Chisos Mtn. Basin. The DavisMtnLoop is a short loop around the Davis Mountains including Fort Davis and the McDonald Observatory. I plan to do that on Friday and get back early for the Friday evening BS sessions at the Pavillion at the Ramada. The RRout&back route is an out and back on River Road from Terlingua and is a short but great ride that can be done as an add on to any BB rout or a dedicated route if you go from the Hotel. If you do that from the Hotel, it adds nearly 200 miles. All these routes were created in CN North America NT 2009. FYI

4288.gdb

**   Chris   **

John,

If the River Road was damaged, what about the road leading to Santa Elena Canyon? I have never been down there, and assume if the river is running through a canyon that is probably was contained in it's banks, but thought I would ask.

Is that a paved or gravel road?

Chris

Archived