IGNORED

Calling All Firefighters!

jbr7t

How's the new year starting out for everyone? It's ok here. I got transferred to a different station toward the end of last year...and I'm BORED out of my mind!!! I went from one of the busiest houses in the county to the 2nd slowest. Granted, sleeping all night is nice. But I would gladly go back to running calls all day and night. I had a great crew, was comfortable in my district and generally loved every minute! Not so much now, but I'll serve my time and hopefully get out of here soon. All so they could put one of the rookies at a busy house.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
How's the new year starting out for everyone? It's ok here. I got transferred to a different station toward the end of last year...and I'm BORED out of my mind!!! I went from one of the busiest houses in the county to the 2nd slowest. Granted, sleeping all night is nice. But I would gladly go back to running calls all day and night. I had a great crew, was comfortable in my district and generally loved every minute! Not so much now, but I'll serve my time and hopefully get out of here soon. All so they could put one of the rookies at a busy house.

Well let's see. I missed a 5th alarm 2 blocks from the firehouse, a third alarm to which we were the 3rd due truck, a second alarm, and a bread-and-butter apartment. All in the last month.

I did catch a room-and-contents on the 6th floor while riding the engine. The occupant was a packrat and the smoldering fire left us zero visibility at the floor while trying to locate it. Dear God I hate that. Almost as much as I hated carrying all the burnt stuff from that room all the way outside during overhaul. I must have done 100 floors that day.

Other than that... I've had a nice week+ off. I'll be back to living the dream on Thursday.

Stay safe. Happy new year. Hope you get back on a busy rig soon.

Stripping the wax floors in a sub station. About a month ago another crew decided to wax the floors in the station. Problem was, someone forgot to tell them that sweeping & washing it beforehand was a good idea! An Army Ranger could have been standing right next to you & you'd never see him. :grin:

Two line of duty deaths in December and two more at home. (surrounding community's)

Pat

• 2 months later...

The dept had a pretty good one the other night. Off duty guy most likely saved four lives.

Working on a skit right now using the seventies song "Billy don't be a hero". :grin:

Pat

Where were the LOD's, I usually try to keep up with them. Fire related or health? More good souls who heard the last tone.

FF Jon Davies...Worcester Ma. December 8, 2011

FF James Rice...Peabody Ma. December 23, 2011

FF Robert George...Methuen Ma. December 21, 2011

Lt Randall Rideout ...Medford Ma. December 29, 2011

Davies was killed in a building collapse. Rice may have had an MI while fighting a fire. Reports were his face mask was off when he was found.

George, cardiac arrest at home.

Rideout, cardiac also.

Pat

Agent_Orange

Bummer. May they RIP.

We have a lot of FF's coming down with various and assorted cancers. I believe there are several studies going on to find out why FF's seem to have types of cancers, all well above other occupations.

• 2 weeks later...
Firefight911
and I ride the box everyday... I must have some serious mental issues

For fun, I took an overtime on the box today!! First time I've been on the box in about 4 years. Oh, and I am also the only medic on the box too!!! Kinda fun showing up as the "Captain" on the box. HEE HEE!!!!

Today has been fun so far with no signs of Uncle Adolf yet. :grin:

On our dept, the junior sixteen guys/girl are assigned to the ambulance. The goal for most is to due your time or take a promotional exam to get on the big red truck.

I'm quite sure when it's all said & done & I look back at my career in the fire service, the ambulance will have been where I made the biggest difference.

That being said, I do love my fire truck! :)

Pat

With my transfer a couple months ago to the 2nd slowest house in the county..i know ask to be on the gutbox. It's the only way to actually run calls and leave the building. It really sucks going from the busiest house in the county to the 2nd slowest!!!

Agent_Orange

I posted this on another thread, but I would like to get some feedback about this from 'us'.

What about first amendment rights for 'first responders'??

http://www.local10.com/news/Miami-Dade-firefighter-investigated-for-Facebook-post-about-Trayvon-Martin/-/1717324/10904214/-/2r9orl/-/index.html

Our Dept. has, and uses, the catchall "conduct unbecoming" at it's whim.

That has "slippery slope" written all over it! I think had he not brought work into the comment by saying "coworkers" it would be a much more cut and dry case. But I would assume that his profile lists his employment with the department and then by adding that into the comment..Probably not a smart move. It will certainly be interesting to see how it plays out.

I posted this on another thread, but I would like to get some feedback about this from 'us'.

What about first amendment rights for 'first responders'??

http://www.local10.com/news/Miami-Dade-firefighter-investigated-for-Facebook-post-about-Trayvon-Martin/-/1717324/10904214/-/2r9orl/-/index.html

Our Dept. has, and uses, the catchall "conduct unbecoming" at it's whim.

• 1 month later...

Guys/gals who are following this thread..if you haven't already make sure you follow Phil's (Firefight911) thread on his charity ride. An amazing and inspirational story!!

Here is the link to the thread

LINK

• 4 weeks later...

Between the heat and the storms here in VA we have been staying busy. It has also seemed that the past 2 shift days the interstate was mistaken for a bumper car ride! Last shift spent over 5 hours on the interstate on 3 seperate calls. 1 including a motorcyclist who got VERY lucky. Minimal gear- t-shirt, jeans, helmet. He was rear ended at about 70 mph. We arrived to him conscious and A&O. Decent road rash on hands and arms, but honestly not bad considering no protection. After talking with him found out he was a Connecticut State Trooper. Apparently they do not have a helmet law and he had only put his helmet on when he crossed into Virginia out of Maryland. He told us he will always wear a helmet from now on! I also put in a plug for a jacket and maybe some more significant riding pants.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/11/firefighters-taken-hostage-relieved-ordeal-over/

Don't know if ya'll followed this story. Certainly something to think about. The are I work is a lower socio economic area and stabbings / shootings are regular occurances. We have become accustomed to mainting exits and high situational awareness on medical calls. But these type things can happen even in any neighborhood. Keep your eyes open

Yep. Another good reason to maintain a good relationship with the PD

Worked out just about as perfectly as possible IMO. I think they owe the blue team a beer! :thumbsup:

Pat

• 2 months later...
Glenn Reed

Very sorry to read of the line of duty deaths of nineteen members of the Granite Mountain Hotshots.

You guys and gals risk your lives on a daily basis to keep us safer than we would be otherwise.

Condolences on the loss of your brethren. :cry:

I think we've all become a little numb or used to hearing the loss of one or two firefighters or police officers in the LOD. Different nature but I believe this is the biggest hit since the 343 ff's and 60 po's in New York.

While every line of duty death is sad, it's very heartbreaking to hear the loss of so many brave dedicated people at one time. :(

Pat

• 3 months later...

Apparently we are all too busy fighting fires to keep up with this thread! So, figured I'd give it a little bump. I'm on the back end of my shift cycle now. Off at 7am then on for 24 Sunday and Wednesday then 5 day break. I'm heading up to PA on 5 day to go to OoPEZoO (Keith's) house to do service on the bike. Hopefully before then I'll be figuring out what is wrong with my gerbing glove that stopped heating this morning. Always nice when you leave you house at 5am and 35 degrees and the gloves are cold!

Anyway, any great stories, fires, calls etc lately? We are on a bit of a fire dry spell. Lots of medical calls to keep us busy, but nothing much in the way of burning, smoking or exploding.

Pat-

It's clear to see and say that the helmet has seen better days and has served you well in what you do. I salute you and all other FF's for being on call and going in when others are going out.

Thanks Bob!

The greatest thing about this job is that an average guy or girl can make a difference (sometimes life and death, sometimes not) in a person's life right now. Not too many jobs out there where you can do that sort of thing without a whole lot of education.

That new one is way too shiny! Good luck breaking it in soon.

Tell me about it James but truth be told, it's been in my locker for about six months. Didn't want to mark it up. ;) Then again, i'm one of those guys that washes his GS every now and again. :grin:

Pat

Yup, quiet around here for me. I've been off work for about 3-1/2 months for three surgeries to my foot.

I go back to shift on Monday, Nov. 4. If you see the red hat stepping off E38 in Folsom, CA, it's me. Come say hi!

I hope the surgeries are finally done for you! I'm sure it was nice to have some extra time with your family, but certainly not the most comfortable way to go about getting leave. If I ever make it out west I'll be sure to say hi.

• 2 months later...

Cold weather ops:

For those that have been gripped by the "polar vortex", what efforts does your department take in regards to the cold weather?

We typically keep a spray bottle of antifreeze and a bottle of wd-40 handy. Wrap the intakes, discharges, and nozzles with a plastic cover (mostly to prevent getting gummed up with the additional sand/salt on the roads. We've been leaving our pump wet and just putting the pump in gear with tank to pump circulation ( 5 degrees fahrenheidt last shift and no issue with pump freezing..granted we were never out for an extended operation).

Firefight911

You have the cold and we have no water. End result = same.

Folsom Lake is down to less than 20% capacity and it's dry!!! I'm thinking that the strike team fund is going to overfill 'cause the lake sure as heck isn't going to.

• 1 year later...

Caught one on an OT shift yesterday. Ice coming off the roof broke the gas meter and then it found an ignition source. The residents lost their two dogs and a cat. Reports were that the homeowner ran out and the dogs followed but for some reason, the dogs ran back in. The first crew in could hear the dogs but were unable to locate them before they were ordered out.

http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingnews/ci_27678183/fire-destroys-tewksbury-home#42248AD6FDEBCBB527E4477408F5609BE8CA

Pat

Caught one on an OT shift yesterday. Ice coming off the roof broke the gas meter and then it found an ignition source. The residents lost their two dogs and a cat. Reports were that the homeowner ran out and the dogs followed but for some reason, the dogs ran back in. The first crew in could hear the dogs but were unable to locate them before they were ordered out.

http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingnews/ci_27678183/fire-destroys-tewksbury-home#42248AD6FDEBCBB527E4477408F5609BE8CA

Wow, you have been busy Pat. I wondered who was gonna loose with all the ice hanging . . . Some ice I've seen looked like it weighed well over 100 pounds. I figured it would go through windows and hopefully not hit someone. Gas meter, yeah . . . wow.

Yep, they were the unlucky ones because we had more than a few meters damaged from falling ice. We rolled up on this one a few weeks ago. Hydrants were hard to find with all the snow.

image.jpg1_zpscipdtkz7.jpg

Pat

• 1 year later...
Medic Mike

Been absent for some time from riding and the forums. Hope everyone is well, enjoying life on two wheels and taming the red monster.

Archived