IGNORED

Calling All Firefighters!

jbr7t

Holy cow... doest that rig meet NFPA 1901 departure angle standards w/ that front bumper and the hose-reel box hanging down like that?

Give them a break!

It's not like they have any steep inclines in...a...oh...yeah...San Francisco...

Never mind... :lurk:

Yea, I'm definetly a fan of the hose reel..wish we still got spec'd with them. But we would certainly smash the crap outta that box hanging so low!

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Holy cow... doest that rig meet NFPA 1901 departure angle standards w/ that front bumper and the hose-reel box hanging down like that?

Give them a break!

It's not like they have any steep inclines in...a...oh...yeah...San Francisco...

Never mind... :lurk:

The purple pumper, aka "earthquake special" is SF. The red rig with the bumper mounted hose reel is Tewksburry.

Got it. :dopeslap:

I was looking at the pictures in your link. Good thing you're rotating back to Engine 2 instead of Engine 5. :)

To confuse matters even more, :dopeslap: it's a lot of fun knocking down trees with engine 5. :)

Who's on first? :grin:

PS. Tom, your LaFrance is really nice looking. :thumbsup: Are all the SFFD trucks that color now?.

Pat

The purple pumper, aka "earthquake special" is SF. The red rig with the bumper mounted hose reel is Tewksburry.
Leslie said she saw a bumper sticker on a car of a similar color the other day which said: "It's BURGUNDY, Dammit!" :grin:
skinny_tom (aka boney)
To confuse matters even more, :dopeslap: it's a lot of fun knocking down trees with engine 5. :)

Who's on first? :grin:

PS. Tom, your LaFrance is really nice looking. :thumbsup: Are all the SFFD trucks that color now?.

Pat

Thankfully, no. It was a commemorative color to recognize the "old school" color of the fire engines in 1906 (the year of the big quake.) I'm not a big fan of the color. It's a pain in the butt to keep clean and looking good. The engines themselves have all kinds of little problems too- I'm not sure if it's all the extra bells and whistles they were spec'ed with or whether LaFrance isn't doing such a good job on quality control- but I do know they've all seen a lot of warranty work, and then some. There's just a bunch of stuff it doesn't "need" that will eventually be a maintinence issue.

Word is that some new ones are coming in the traditional crimson color.

To confuse matters even more, :dopeslap: it's a lot of fun knocking down trees with engine 5. :)...

When it come to trees, my choice is Engine 4. :thumbsup:

standard.jpg

Firefight911

I like our Pierce!

folsom.jpg

One (1) Arrow XT pumper, TAK-4 Independent Front Suspension, CAT C13 525 hp motor, Allison transmission w/ Jacobs engine brake, 15 degree angle of approach and departure, Hale Q-max 1500 GPM Single Stage midship pump, Darley 1.5AGE auxillary pump, 500 gallons of water, Firecom Intercom system, and a Whelen emergency lighting package. Wheelbase is 176.50".

I like our Pierce!

folsom.jpg

One (1) Arrow XT pumper, TAK-4 Independent Front Suspension, CAT C13 525 hp motor, Allison transmission w/ Jacobs engine brake, 15 degree angle of approach and departure, Hale Q-max 1500 GPM Single Stage midship pump, Darley 1.5AGE auxillary pump, 500 gallons of water, Firecom Intercom system, and a Whelen emergency lighting package. Wheelbase is 176.50".

It's purty! :thumbsup:

...but I don't think the Jefe would appreciate you using it to knock over trees. :eek:

I like our Pierce!

folsom.jpg

Very Sexy!! If only it had a Roto Ray!!!

queenie2.gif FIRE TRUCK BEAUTY CONTEST! VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE. queenie2.gif

2769307948_2c1146296b_b.jpg[/img]

Boneys...American LaFrance

Tewksbury_Engine_1.jpg[/img]

TEWKS...E-ONE Hush

standard.jpg[/img]

eddds...Tree crushing beast :grin:

folsom.jpg [/img]

1bmwfans...Pierce Arrow XT

Ok, after James & Jamie or anybody else, posts a picture of their Engine, we can get this started.

We can poll the members & the winner will get anything the losers wish to send him.

Want to play?

Pat

We're old school in Coronado! Here's our reconditioned 1938 Mack--sweet!

287177202_zeNED-L.jpg

No, I mean REALLY old school! :grin:

281928547_F5nh4-L.jpg

281932579_7ibdo-L.jpg

Actually, we're getting a Crimson TDA Quint being delivered around the end of the year, but I can't find any pictures of it on the web yet. If any of you are coming out to San Diego for Firehouse World it will be on display. It's a behemoth! 60' 6" long and I'll definitely be trimming a few trees from my perch up in the tillerman's seat way up high in the back! :eek:

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I got you beat buster,

Here's Engine 5 then, 1850: (now on diplay in the Petaluma Museum whom the engine was sold to in 1855) Check out those High Eagle helmets baby!

kinickerbocker_petaluma.jpg

Oh, yeah, this is the other other Engine 5, Model year 1855 (on Display, SFFD HQ- pumping crew, 50- 60 people):

knickerbocker5.jpg

Ok, old school it is! :grin:

wamesitengine.gif

A volunteer fire department was organized in 1798 in Belvidere Village. The apparatus and equipment was bought by private subscription. In the Town Records of March 4, 1833 the town took over maintenance and appropriated the sum of $150 to purchase hose and equipment. When Belvidere was annexed to Lowell this fire engine was taken over and for many years was stored in the Central Fire Station in Lowell. The General Committee appointed to conduct the 200th Anniversary of the Incorporation of the Town, believing that it was proper to request the return of this original piece of Tewksbury fire apparatus, communicated with Hon. James J. Bruin, Mayor of Lowell and with his recommendation a letter was forwarded to the City Council and it was unanimously voted to return the Wamesit Hand Pump to the Town of Tewksbury. Today the Wamesit Hand Pump, given the name "Always Ready", stands on display at the Tewksbury Public Library.

Believe it or not, before this piece went to the library it was used at a few fire musters & won first place in a hand pumping contest.

Pat

Firefighter Challenge? No Sir not me! :eek:

We had three of our more fit guys enter the challenge this year, & yes, they were humbled to say the least.

Watch the ending for a chuckle. :)

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=dXW-Z7L7b2g

Pat

Funny stuff!

I did the Combat Challenge 4 years ago. Our team went to World's in Deerfield Beach, Fl.

What an absolute blast!! And an absolute butt kicker! Feel the burn baby! Feel the burn!

Oh, the jokes about controlling his nozzle have to be good!!

Found a better pic of one of our engines!

218359296_2stwe-M.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For a second there I thought that might be your new TDA!

368918442_WXToN-M.jpg

368914065_YLHF5-M.jpg

368917445_ZUSAp-M.jpg

368918574_6bDxw-M.jpg

Of course they're BMW's! (Not counting the pig on the left!)

368921260_FxyJB-M.jpg

Lounging at the office.

368918391_4MuK5-M.jpg

skinny_tom (aka boney)
If volunteers count, I guess I can chime in here, now.

(Started my training this week with the Rutland, MA FD.)

Welcome!

If volunteers count, I guess I can chime in here, now.

(Started my training this week with the Rutland, MA FD.)

Sweeeeet!! Enjoy, and thanks for stepping up! Across the country, Volunteer Fire Departments are always in desperate need of qualified, dedicated folks. The experience could change your life--it did mine.

I tested with the San Diego Fire Department right out of High School in 1983, but at the time they were making up for over 100 years of hiring only white males and they had their work cut out for them to make their firefighting force representative of their customers' demographics. So I went on to college and supported myself working in construction which in retrospect I REALLY do not regret as both skills prepared me better for life as well as being a better firefighter.

When my mom moved up to the PNW and bought a house on Camano Island, I followed for 10 months to work on her house. When I saw they had a Volunteer FD I joined up and they sent me to the Washington State Volunteer Academy in 1991. I was HOOKED! I came right back to San Diego, enrolled in the Fire Science program at the local college and started applying everywhere I could. I got picked up in Coronado in 1993 and have been there ever since. It's the BEST JOB EVER!

Most people are not aware, but Volunteer Firefighters are the backbone of the Fire Service in the US. Here are some stats from the NFPA:

The U.S. Fire Department Profile

There are 1,140,900 firefighters in the United States

• 28% (316,950) are career firefighters.

• 72% (823,950) are volunteer firefighters.

• Firefighters in smaller communities are more likely to be volunteers.

30,635 fire departments protected the United States in 2006

• All career 2,321

• Mostly career 1,731

• Mostly volunteer 5,134

• All volunteer 21,449

I carry a fire extinguisher...does that count?

350 HP will get my guys to a scene in a hurry :thumbsup:

Yes, it will. That 350 hp is perfect for getting you there fast . . . just in time for you to block my access point so we can not get in to put the wet stuff on the red stuff! Thanks! :grin::/:wave:

Uh, that fire extinguisher doesn't work when you throw it in to the fire, Eric!!! Really, trust me on this one!!!

"just in time for you to block my access point so we can not get in"

Geez! I thought that was a East Coast thing. :dopeslap:

Congrats & good luck Gregori! :thumbsup:

Pat

cops everywhere are just bystanders with a badge

Thats why "we" are armed and "you" wait until its safe to come to a scene....uh, right :thumbsup:

I carry a fire extinguisher...does that count?

350 HP will get my guys to a scene in a hurry :thumbsup:

Yes, it will. That 350 hp is perfect for getting you there fast . . . just in time for you to block my access point so we can not get in to put the wet stuff on the red stuff! Thanks! :grin::/:wave:

Uh, that fire extinguisher doesn't work when you throw it in to the fire, Eric!!! Really, trust me on this one!!!

Now Phil, you're being a bit rough on poor Eric...

I'm sure he isn't one of those that parks in front of the house... with three of his fellow officers and their cruisers.

And I'm positive he isn't of of those that takes his baton and breaks out every window he can reach. :eek:

Hey - not to distract the conversation away from the much loved inter-agency rivalry, but I've got a couple of questions for the fire guys who've been around a while...

Speaking of breaking windows - (per eddd's post):

In training they're telling us to break (ventilate) windows when we come across them in a search, and to me that seems wrong... Sure it lets the smoke out, but it also lets oxygen IN. If there's a guy with a hose standing by, that's one thing, but to knock out every window I find just seems ... dangerous. I'd think that containment was more important, but I'm new to this, and don't want to overthink it. What's the consensus of the more learned firefighters here? (Obviously, the answer will vary depending on the situations at hand - but in *general* how do you proceed, or what's your Operational Standard?)

Second - what's up with the sorry-ass boots? The (big, heavy, clumsy) rubber boots don't seem like they'd offer much in the way of protection (no hardened toe as far as I could tell, for example) and they're CERTAINLY not going to assist a firefighter's mobility. The ones I was issued initally felt like clown-boots, and I got a set in a size 2 down from my normal street-wear in order to not be too big and fall off. Even still - it's very awkward, and not confidence inspiring. Is this funky footwear a standard thing, or is it just regional?

Second - what's up with the sorry-ass boots? The (big, heavy, clumsy) rubber boots don't seem like they'd offer much in the way of protection (no hardened toe as far as I could tell, for example) and they're CERTAINLY not going to assist a firefighter's mobility. The ones I was issued initally felt like clown-boots, and I got a set in a size 2 down from my normal street-wear in order to not be too big and fall off. Even still - it's very awkward, and not confidence inspiring. Is this funky footwear a standard thing, or is it just regional?

Pssssst! Were you not listening - LINKY

In training they're telling us to break (ventilate) windows when we come across them in a search, and to me that seems wrong... Sure it lets the smoke out, but it also lets oxygen IN. If there's a guy with a hose standing by, that's one thing, but to knock out every window I find just seems ... dangerous. I'd think that containment was more important, but I'm new to this, and don't want to overthink it. What's the consensus of the more learned firefighters here? (Obviously, the answer will vary depending on the situations at hand - but in *general* how do you proceed, or what's your Operational Standard?)

You better have a damn good read on the fire, its location, condition, position, resource placement, etc., etc., etc before you go John Wayne'ing window breaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look up Dave Dodson's 'Art of Reading Smoke' for a good start - LINKY

Read the smoke, it's talking to you!!!!!!!! LINKY

Yea, go ahead, bash out that window - SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!! - LINKY

As you stated, it's conditional. You had better know what the hell you're doing before you go introducing oxygen to a fire!!

And there is this thing called the surviaval curve too. If you can't breathe in it and you can't see in it, and it's been going for AT LEAST 8 minutes before you got there, what are the chances of survival of the victim???? Or is it a body recovery???

For example -

Consider the following timeline for a two-story housefire. It takes less than five minutes from the first ignition to the point at which escape becomes unlikely:

:30 Fire ignites and grows rapidly (in a downstairs living room of a two story house).

1:04 From first flame, fire spreads and smoke begins to fill the room.

1:35 Smoke layer descends rapidly, the temperature exceeds 190 degrees Fahrenheit.

1:50 Smoke detector at foot of stairs sounds an alarm. There is still time to get out.

2:30 Temperature above the living couch is now over 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

2:48 Smoke pours into other rooms.

3:03 Temperature three feet above the floor in the living room is over 500 degrees Fahrenheit. (Note, this temperature is not survivable.)

3:20 Upstairs hall (where bedrooms are located) is now filled with smoke - escape now becomes more difficult.

3:41 Flashover - Energy in room of origin ignites everything. Temperature is 1400 degrees Fahrenheit.

3:50 Two minutes after the smoke detector sounds, the second exit is only way out.

4:33 Flames are just now visible from the exterior of the house - this is the first evidence of the fire visible from the outside. At this point, rescue may no longer be possible.

We will risk a lot for a lot, We will risk little for little, We will risk nothing for nothing.

Hey - not to distract the conversation away from the much loved inter-agency rivalry, but I've got a couple of questions for the fire guys who've been around a while...

Phil has got you pointed in the right direction. Any type of ventilation should be done as part of a strategy being implemented to contol conditions. Horizontal ventilation can be very effective when done properly, but done improperly it can lead to a less than desirable outcome.

The topic is way to complex to cover here, but I'm sure your department has training manuals that cover the topic. If you have access to a series of books covering various firefighting skills, start with the book that covers the essentials. The essentials manuals give you a good overview of the theory and skills involved. You will also find an entire training manual dealing with ventilation.

People, including LEOs, do occasionally start to break windows in an attempt to help. It is our job to educate them so that they understand the dynamics involved in a fire. That being said, there is nothing wrong with having a little fun with verbal jabs. Heaven knows the fire services takes some shots from those donut-eaters in the black and whites. :grin: (Some of those shots might even be justified, but you didn't hear it from me.)

As to the boots...While the boots you describe are around, there are many brands and types that may offer a better fit. I personally only wear leather fire boots. I find these are much more comfortable, provide better support, and less tiring. Leather and other types of boots have been around for a long time, but they cost more...and some might say they buck tradition...and we can't have any of that! :grin::lurk:

Second - what's up with the sorry-ass boots? The (big, heavy, clumsy) rubber boots don't seem like they'd offer much in the way of protection (no hardened toe as far as I could tell, for example) and they're CERTAINLY not going to assist a firefighter's mobility.

Not sure how they budget for Turnout gear in Rutland. Our chief will pay up to the cost of rubber boots for an upgraded pair. I have these & they're so much better IMO. Easy on & off, light weight & comfortable.

http://www.warringtonltd.com/PRO5006.aspx

Pat

Nice looking boots. :thumbsup:

"We will risk a lot for a lot, We will risk little for little, We will risk nothing for nothing."

Phil, did you come up with that one? I like it!

Pat

skinny_tom (aka boney)

If the questions is whether to ventilate while conducting a search, then I'd say yes. Cross ventilation is generally an accepted practice. If we're conducting a search, then there's already been an attack on the fire. If I'm on the floor above or below, then I cannot count on having a fire that is self-ventillated or someone having done some ventilation for me already, and trapped smoke sucks- so the windows come out (in this case we have usually brought a hose line with us as well.) Anything that increases the level of vision is good. While Thermal Imaging Cameras are nice, there's only one per truck company, and they're no substitute for a good hands on search.

I find firefighting equipment clumsy in general.

OSHA comes out with all these rules to make us safer, and IMO, much of it makes things more dangerous. Turnout boots are a good example.

I digress. The Warrington Pro boots are fantastic for most work, but I don't find that my older model pair provide me with all that much support either. I'd rather be running around with my zip up uniform boots on.

Ventilation is a really long four letter word here these days. A LOT of differing opinions on how and when. Some say break everything out put a fan in and pull the roof off. Others say take your time get crews out then vent. Personally I am all for aggressive ventilation within reason. Don't break a window just cuz you see it. But I do want the vent team being active and getting the smoke cleared so I can do my search and or hose work.

As for boots..I've got the Warrington's. Leather's are definetly the way to go with boots and helmets!!! IMHO The new Globe Firestorm boots are getting BIG PROPS here. The county just started issuing them and so far everyone I've talked to that has gotten them loves them. We've also switched to the Haix station boots- Without a doubt most comfortable boot I've ever worn.

... Some say break everything out put a fan in and pull the roof off...

I'm guessing you are over-simplifying...at least I hope so.

If you broke "everything" the effectiveness of your positve-pressure fan would be greatly reduced.

• 1 month later...

You gotta love Halloween night!! 1 jeep crashed thru a front yard..no driver..no passengers. 2 Incredibly HOT chicks stop to see what's going on in there incredibly skimpy costumes.

Guy comes home from the club..gets stabbed 4 times by his girl.

And still, no one gave me a piece of chocolate for my awesome Fireman costume!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Nah, I'll let it ride.......................

I now find meself..........the 'ol fart'.

And I remember my first day, at my first duty station.

It has all passed by like my last breath.

I now find meself..........the 'ol fart'.

And I remember my first day, at my first duty station.

It has all passed by like my last breath.

Yeah, have you seen Agent_Orange's final probationary exam he had to take "back in the day"? :grin:

"The REAL Denver Drill"

( . . . be sure to check out part 2 for some additional harrowing stunts!)

Talk about an almost total lack of cumbersome equipment! All those ladders (Pompier!) and all that charged hose up 6+ stories with no mechanization?? And you thought YOUR Truck Company kicked a$$!! :rofl:

These guys were the real deal and I stand in awe of what they did with what they had . . . and of the incredible risks they took. Looking at that it's no wonder those old smoke eaters died in such staggering numbers! :cry:

Archived